Computer Science Degree

Sup Jow Forums,

I've been putting a lot of thought into going back to school for a computer science degree recently and wanted to get your take on the worth of the degree. I failed out of college the first time I went and found my own way for a few years. The last few years I got lucky with some good connections and was able to get into a job where I learned Windows/Linux server management, scripting (powershell, bash, python) and cloud technologies.

I've moved onto another company making more money and working with the cloud, but I don't feel as motivated working with infra. Feel I would be much happier in software development. Always have loved the scripting aspects of my job, and feel I would enjoy development much more. I could probably bust it out and do a job change with another entry level position, however I want to learn the fundamentals of comp sci from a solid university. Possibly get a masters years down the line. Would this be worth it for me? Feel I have enough saved to take time off to accomplish this. Would I be valued in the industry?

Asking here because I have gotten a lot of mixed feedback from friends/family/mentors. However I feel this would benefit me more in the long run since I would be learning from the ground up, not on the fly like I have with all of my infrastructure stuff.

Thoughts?

Attached: index.jpg (268x188, 21K)

Bump to hopefully stay alive.

>Would this be worth it for me
Not in the slightest
Most people get a CS degree just as a leverage to get their foot in the door, which you've already done
From where you are, just pick up a programming language and start from there, you won't learn anything in CS that you couldn't learn as well or better on you're own

Attached: 1535397999541.png (1004x1627, 352K)

Is there nothing to be gained from the education side of it? Nothing to gain from going to a better university? I don't feel I could ever get looked at by larger orgs simply because of no proven background in development.

I don't want to feel like I'm just stringing together something which is how I feel now everyday.

A degree is like icing on a cake. Actual proof of work is the entire rest of the cake.
You *could* slide into a software dev job with just a degree, but a portfolio full of proof of work is a million miles more attractive
Both together are really good, just don't think that a CS course will carry you though
(btw stay away from webdev shit if you want to stay sane)

Attached: 1527876100898.jpg (1426x1600, 163K)

Thanks for deets.

Would be interested in more opinions.

> failed out of college
Fucking HOW?

Was in a stoner stage last 2 years of hs and pretty much smoked weed the entire time I was at college for the first semester. Never stood a chance. Wasn't ready to go and wasted the last 2 years of high school.

ditto vulpix onyx ekans metapod
also listed hadoop twice. I don't know a thing about what that is, but I know some pokemon.

ditto, sawk, vulpix, onyx, ekans, metapod. All I'm seeing.

If you really care that much about education either work for a university and take classes on the side or work near a university for a company that offers subsidy. Don't expect to get a degree anytime soon and it doesn't matter if you live your passion.

Not everyone is a gender studies major like you

If you do go, prepare to get ass raped by Calc 2. You have been warned.

Do EE + CS minor for the same job prospects and you can still graduate in 4 years as a transfer student. Also Calc 2 is just integrals and stuff, which is not as bad as people make it out to be.

You guys missed Feebas.

Attached: feebas.png (250x250, 51K)

picture for ants,

anyone have the readable version?

Feebas and technically shiny is a kind of pokemon too

Im trying to break into compsci. Im feeling really overwhelmed. Is this notmal or am I stupid

Is this your first semester?

Yes

K cool

I'm not sure if you noticed but fucking college math is HARD. Everything is turned up to 11, they throw you out there and don't handhold you like they did in highschool which ALOT of people don't know how to get used to.

You could try not being a pussy ass bitch

You want to leave your job, spend tens of thousands of dolars on a degree, just for another entry level job; are you fucking retarded?

Companies won't hire you. They want young, fresh meat to push around. They want Indians for cheap. They want an autistic neckbeard with no personal life who they can bully into coming in on the weekend.

Look, starting salaries are 40k in midwest USA. It's too much work for you to get to the point where you're making a decent salary.

Make a GitHub and put a personal project on there. It will let companies see the code and you save time and money.

Wow what a well thought out post! Pussy ass bitch! Ahah!

Hey if the shoe fits faggot

Thanks

I know multiple people who didnt start webdev until their 30s. The age thing is mostly a meme. If you have a good resume and body of work you could be 50

What's the point in listing all these languages? I am not even 30 yet and since my 20 years of doing more or less programming I had touch with more or less same amount of languages, yet I barelly think anyone would hire me just only because of that fact.

I'm two years into compsci. It gets worse believe me

>Python
>not Ekans
Dropped

Attached: 250px-Jessie_Ekans.png (250x188, 60K)