Is bigger always better when it comes to fans?

Attached: 400mm.jpg (1680x1260, 660K)

Other urls found in this thread:

products.sanyodenki.com/en/contents/hp0071/list.php?CNo=71&ProCon=1266
nidec.com/en-Global/technology/capability/precision/
aliexpress.com/store/product/S-120-case-fan-thermal-system-gaming-CPU-cooler-fan-12cm1200RPM-3-pin-fan-computer-chassis/1802077_32312415042.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

2 140mm fans vs 3 120mm fans for front of PC case?

Bigger is better for everything

BIGGER. STRONGER. SLOWER.

Attached: 18m4cslnrd2ngjpg.jpg (300x250, 6K)

Attached: 1529842674646.jpg (1280x720, 83K)

Fanlets, when will they learn?

Attached: ISijRv9.gif (432x324, 821K)

assuming both are at same RPM you would have:
more airflow with the 140mm
quieter with the 140mm

notice how it is still quieter, that is the key. with a 140mm you gain all pros (other than size)
ofc at lower RPM you will still have more airflow to a point.. eventually less airflow

you can measure the velocity and calculate CFM or other pretty easily with a calculator.

bigger = lower sound frequency
smaller = whiny fans

yes

Attached: yes.png (545x411, 354K)

Would you recommend this?

when you need to cool a city

I mean the anime, silly

This 4500rpm bgears 120mm fan moves 218cfm.

On the downside, my SPL meter shows it at 70+dB.

Attached: 1535245754502.jpg (1280x960, 61K)

it is soul crushingly good

Bigger fans rotate at slower speeds for similar CFM.

Which means lower noise.

yes, but in reality with good fans like Noctua it does not matter once you hit 100+ mm for 99% of pc applications

What is the anime

No finer fans on earth than the Noctua iPPC 3000rpm PWM fan.

Attached: 719iVZBiF7L._SX466_.jpg (466x581, 36K)

Attached: Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou.png (720x1024, 134K)

Hey Tyrone.

BIG BROWN FAN

140mm is louder than 120mm at the same rpm

and 200mm is louder than 140mm at the same rpm

120mm at 4500 rpm at 70dB?

products.sanyodenki.com/en/contents/hp0071/list.php?CNo=71&ProCon=1266
6400 rpm 64dba 36.83 mmH2O

120mm is louder at the same CFM as 140mm
200mm is quieter at the same CFM as 140mm

That b-gears fan is moving 218cfm at 4500rpm at 20 watts. And that dB reading was off my phone, newegg said it was 45db.

yes.

Attached: giphy (1).gif (336x224, 931K)

I've never seen what the airflow looks like on these things, but does the hub result in a dead zone at all? Could be something to consider.

On some it does, like static pressure fans, they tend to fling the air out in a ring around the housing. On high flow fans, they tend to push a more straight line blast of air with very little dead zone.

>140 mm is louder than 120mm at same rpm
>200 mm is louder than 140mm at same rpm
and so is an industrial 1 meter fan is louder than a 200mm one. What you have in your brain, melted cheese?
The whole point of having bigger fans is to move more air-per-revolution, no slamming them at constant rpm.

If Nidec wanted to, they could make a fan better than that by a lot. Their machining seems to be capable of 1micron or better precision. They have done FDB for other stuff.

nidec.com/en-Global/technology/capability/precision/

people who say larger fans are less noise are complete idiots. its not about size its about quality of components and RPM.

you can make a small fan as quite as your 120+mm fans if its made well. quality ball bearings cost a fuckload of money skaters pay like 100$ for 4shitty big ones the fine ones used in fans cost even more. if you want silent fans be prepaired to pay alot and even the enthusiast brands don't make them because they cost too much. they are made for expensive HIFI equipment mostly.

Not only fans

Or just plain old Gentle Typhoon. Both are better.

Attached: NF-A12x25.jpg (1080x675, 77K)

Their newer ones are even better. Can't wait for the 140mm variants to come out next year.

The pressure built-up will cause air to get sucked up from the dead zone.

Yes, larger fans can move equivalent amounts of air at lower RPM and therefore less noise, and even when they do make noise it's a lower frequency noise and thus less annoying to hear.

it does, marginally so, but doesn't matter because the most relevant area for fans is the tip of the blades

No. What matters is not how much air you move, but how much air you move across the surfaces you want to cool.

no point of having giant fans when the airflow isn't directed to where it needs to be. 180mm fans have hug deadzones in the center. Most of the air is moved at the blade tips.

>products.sanyodenki.com/en/contents/hp0071/list.php?CNo=71&ProCon=1266
*cuts your finger off*

What is that controller?

San Ace, Nidec

power gap

Noctua

depends on whether or not you care for unholy noise levels
the most relevant to consumers nidec fan is the GT, which uses a DB bearing that will whine at low RPMs, preventing you from achieving complete perceived silence
I love server fans, but none of them make sense for a regular desktop unless you love blasting your hardware while making your fans scream like banshees
the NF-A12x25 is pretty much the best option at the moment for not too autistic people

I can't fit a 2m diameter fan in my case.

Yes. The larger the fan, the more air it can push at slower RPMs, meaning they are offer better performance and/or are quieter.

CFM means jack shit if it cant push the air through anything.

Is this a good idea? Single case fan?

Fans larger than 12cm start to have jack shit for static pressure from my experience.

Yes

The best setup highly depends on the case layout and components, there's no size-fits-all.

>using 3 jetflow 120mm fans , 94cfm at 2k rpm

31c idle on all parts

Feels good man, only 28db

28db aint quiet

I installed an airplane propeller into my rig and the power supply combusted.
More updates soon.

Attached: (you).jpg (480x360, 8K)

Update:I dual booted the AX1500i and the pc works like a charm.

Update 2:My neighbours are making noise complaints because of the airplane propeller in my room, gonna install another one to my rig if they keep bitchin.

>>using 3 jetflo 120mm fans , 94cfm at 2k rpm
Those are 95CFM @ 2K RPM and 36dB(A). Definitely not 28. Also a ridiculous 4.8W per fan.

Or your Vega card.

good fans, cheap fans, none of it matters. The only difference is how loud they are

So a dead fan is just as good as a "good" or "cheap" fan?

Big fans move more air for the same speed. Whether you want a quieter system or a cooler system you'll want the biggest fans you can fit in your case.

Ah.. Now Fermi was an interesting architecture.

that's a lot of blades

Don't talk to me or my sons ever again

i'm too much of a brainlet to use speedfan, and the msi fan controller sucks. what can i do?

Attached: 550.png (207x243, 7K)

quiet if you live in a train station inside an airport maybe

>at the same RPM
no it isn't
CFM yes of course, because the smaller fans have to spin way faster to reach the same CFM

you guys are so concerned about fan noise all computers are noisy why do you care about making it 20-40% less noisey its still noisy if you don't like sound drill a hole in your wall and run computer in other room or stream it to a steamlink for 2.50$ or some thing.

your trying to fix a problem that cant be fixed.

I don't have a leaf blower GPU, it's practically silent after the move to SSD

Sub 30Db is easy, sub 25 is doable, fan and disk noise gets on my nerves over time.

its a pointless pursuit even when I put my computer in other room and ran cables I then noticed buzz from LCD monitor (it used lamps thou not LED).

if you care about noise just run pc in other room rather than spending 300$ on fans and noise shit. 30db is still too loud if you hate noise I don't see how its any better than 60db.

>I don't see how [30db] is any better than 60db.

And the dumbest post of the year award goes to...

Idea: case fan that maximizes space by by being 120x240mm
Instead of rotating which is impossible here, the blades are on a belt
Like a chainsaw
Yeah or nay?

You actually think that 10m fan at 5,000 RPM will be as loud as 10cm fan at 5,000 RPM?

that's a bit extreme of a comparison

They say so because generally you want the fan to serve some purpose, not just look pretty. Bigger fan will be quieter for same CFM.

>not using pic related
chinese already dominated the fan market with their superior design.

Attached: flyingcrab.jpg (640x640, 86K)

Obviously, to make it easier for you(?) to understand.

if you cant use speedfan you deserve to die, you cant be that retarded

aliexpress.com/store/product/S-120-case-fan-thermal-system-gaming-CPU-cooler-fan-12cm1200RPM-3-pin-fan-computer-chassis/1802077_32312415042.html

Lol I have some, they are fine, but they are not noctua.

Yeah that 60 vs 30 is really dumb and you should feel stupid, but yes as you knock off the loudest part, you can hear the next highest, I get a bad buzz from a USB hub PSU so that is next on the kill list, after that I am under the ambient noise, some things might still bug me but they are really hard and expensive to fix, and why do you think that planing a good airflow and buying a few fans is expensive?

I have some as well, they're pretty damn good desu, I doubt their life will be as long as noctura but air movement wise they are the same and I have an airflow meter.

who would've know that a crab's leg is the optimal shape for moving air

Attached: ALSEYE-S-120-Computer-Cooler-Fan-120mm-High-Air-Flow-DC-12V-1200RPM-3pin-Cooling-Fans.jpg (800x800, 93K)

get a better monitor, cheap Acer buzz

it's science, they don't gotta explain shit. but they still do

blocks your path

Attached: FG039BQ_146094_800x800[1].png (800x800, 461K)

why don't they use real crab legs instead of shitty plastic?

For you

actually looks well made desu`

He's quite right
Between noise and tinnitus, anyone who doesn't want to end their life is powerless. This is probably what technology should aim to conquer beyond relatively achievable things like space travel or longer lives.

I need my delta fix yo.

For laughs I once bolted a 4000rpm delta fan and 3500rpm san ace that I salvaged out of some old dell shitbboxes to a silver arreow which in turned was bolted to an 8320E. I managed to push that shit to just over 5ghz on a motherboard in no way rated to handle it. It was hilarious to see it run prime95 and stay around 50c under load but fuck me even packed in side a define R4 with the panel on you could hear the fans in the next room through a solid brick wall.

If I feel insane again i'll bolt them to the raijintek morpheus I have mounted on my 290x - I reckon I could keep vrm1 (the hot one) under 70c when pumping 1.4v through it (for reference most 290x models shipped 1.1-1.2v out of the box).

what that dropping 30db is worth it?

in reality no pc is 60db your dropping from like 40-30 or not even that like 35-30db.

fans are expensive idknow. shrugs.

do what you want but i think better idea is to run system in other room easy fix. im building SFF 8L soon not sure what im going to do about noise. maybe just hope new gpu have better low powermode/coolers. i think intel already have awsome low power mode.

having it get noisy while playing game is fine beacuse headphones cover that noise.

That getting rid of noise is like trying to get rid of bed bugs. Literally impossible unless you burn your house down.
>having it get noisy while playing game is fine beacuse headphones cover that noise.
Unless you have coil whine, in which case it can very well go through your USB amp and right in your headphones.

Bigger fans are quieter.

If they run slower than the equivalent small fan. If they run at the same speed, they are louder.

Yes but they have a higher sustained static pressure and move more air at lower rpm's.

Are you stupid? That's not a case fan. That's a high pressure fan meant to combat the resistance of cooling fins and radiator cores.

Why are you spreading bullshit? CFM is the rate of flow. Pressure is the amount of force it exerts flowing air.

You can have high flow, low pressure fans. And low flow high pressure fans.

*SSSSSSSIP*

No he is not, and the end goal is not 0 Db as that would drive you insane, having you PC lower then ambient noise is nice and if something else is making a annoying sound, what the fuck is wrong with fixing it?