When will Wayland replace xorg?

When will Wayland replace xorg?

Attached: 1529650165738.jpg (1024x768, 218K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbenchmarking.org/result/1805126-AR-KDEGNOMEW67
aur.archlinux.org/packages/redshift-wayland-git/
github.com/wayland-project/wayland-protocols/blob/master/unstable/xdg-decoration/xdg-decoration-unstable-v1.xml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are they still merged with Yutani corporation?

after steam gets proton working well, I'm sure xorg is their next target

They don't merge for a long time. Keep in mind Yutani has the predator weapon.

I think proton's working well currently. Tried it with two games that weren't whitelisted and they worked better poorly implemented Linux ports

Well let's see...
Debian 9 will ship it by default on GNOME
Fedora I think ships it by default on GNOME already
OpenSUSE I think is planning on doing it for both GNOME and KDE if they haven't already
Whenever RHEL 8 comes out, it'll be using Wayland.
Ubuntu I think ships with it, just not enabled by default (probably because of gaymen compatibility, as ubuntu is considered the go-to distro for windows gaymur converts)
That PureOS distro that comes on Purism laptops uses Wayland.

Yeah it's still a work in progress but it seems like everybody either has it or is actively working on it.

Xorg will never die. It will always be lurking in your OS, just out of sight.

Yea it works. Lutris has better configs on 90% of gaymes than steam currently does. but steam will get them all working near flawless in less than a year, I guarantee that.

Xorg will never die, on OSes that aren't GNU/Linux, like BSDs and Solaris. But on GNU/Linux, I'm sure Wayland will be a thing as soon as Debian has it running as the default.

whenever it reaches feature parity with xorg

never, xorg is better than wayland

Wayland already replaced X in Enlightenment GNOME and KDE. When Mir is successfully turned into a Wayland compositor and other DEs (MATE, XFCE, Pantheon, etcetera) then it would be have "replaced" X.
Bear in mind that X will not be fully replaced for decades (and never in some cases) because there will still exist legacy programs with no Wayland support. Those will run in XWayland.
Mir would have been a better protocol, though.
Please leave Jow Forums and never come back.

Attached: 1534869669243.png (503x471, 171K)

Why we need waylands? What matter in xorg?

>Wayland already replaced X in
>KDE
tried it, buggy shit even with intel drivers

Xorg is poorly designed, unsafe and completely unsuited for modern PCs.

What kind of benefits will the average user get from wayland?

>Please leave Jow Forums and never come back.
>xorg is client-server and can be used over ssh
>wayland isn't
>this was the entire fucking point of a display SERVER in the first place, that's why it's called X Org /SERVER/
Kill yourself, wayland is such a horrific failed abortion of a display server that it isn't even a server.

>what winkids actually believe

That's quite literally the only thing X is good for.
Fucking hell, lurk more. I'm sick and tired of writing the same 30+ bullet point list every Wayland thread.

When NVIDIA stops sucking ass.
Wayland is already 100% functional for most users, except those with outdated window managers and most importantly those with NVIDIA GPUs.

No tearing, for one.

>That's quite literally the only thing X is good for.
It just so happens to be the one and only thing a display server needs to do at all, regardless of whether or not it's good at it, so wayland is as useful as tits on a bull.

Wayland uses a client-server model too, retard.
It just uses file-descriptor passing and dma-bufs, which makes things an absolute assload more efficient, but doesn't work over the network (at least not directly).
Xorg does this to with DRI 1/2/3, and only the extremely ancient X11 rendering stuff actually works across the network.

Who in their right mind would use X over ssh?

>wanting to turn unix into microshit windaids

Only ricers and vidya kids care. Wayland is trash it still sucks even on the latest Fedora. Fuck it and fuck you.

>which makes things an absolute assload more efficient
Wayland still benchmarks slower than X, it's certainly not as efficient yet.
>but doesn't work over the network (at least not directly
Again, the entire point of X Org Server is to work directly over the network, since Wayland can't even do this, it will NEVER replace X.

>Wayland still benchmarks slower than X
Source: my ass

Wayland has literally nothing to do with Windows or how it does anything.
What the fuck are you even on about?

>Wayland still benchmarks slower than X
Let me guess, your retarded benchmarks are actually using Xwayland? That is to say, the actual X server acting as a wayland client. Also, please post a link to a recent benchmark.
>Again, the entire point of X Org Server is to work directly over the network, since Wayland can't even do this, it will NEVER replace X.
Network transparency of the protocol is not a "killer feature" of X, and would rarely be used by most people today. Also, it's certainly possible for a wayland client to work over the network. You just need something to push the pixels.

>it doesn't suck you just need to replace all your software! ;w;

Fuck off dickhead. gayland is aids.

Are you brain damaged?

>Source: my ass
openbenchmarking.org/result/1805126-AR-KDEGNOMEW67
>Network transparency of the protocol is not a "killer feature" of X
Network transparency and Xvnc very much are the killer feature of X.
>your retarded benchmarks are actually using Xwayland
You mean the only way to use wayland, since nothing is wayland native?

ARE YOU?!?

Not soon enough. Everyone knows X windows is shit.

>You mean the only way to use wayland, since nothing is wayland native?
Everything Qt5 and GTK3 is Wayland native.
>Network transparency and Xvnc very much are the killer feature of X.
You're grasping at straws, no one fucking uses X over network.

>openbenchmarking.org/result/1805126-AR-KDEGNOMEW67
Yup, Xwayland. What the fucking useless benchmark. Xwayland is inherently slower than X, since it's literally X + another layer. As expected, performance dropped by a few percent.
>Network transparency and Xvnc very much are the killer feature of X.
Xvnc is completely different. It's stupid to bring that up.
Also, modern X is NOT network transparent. You need to get that shit through your head.
>since nothing is wayland native
GTK3 programs, Qt5 programs, GLFW programs, SDL programs, mpv, firefox (not in stable yet), probably some other shit I'm forgetting.

>no one fucking uses X over network.
He says, talking to someone who clearly uses X over network.
>Everything Qt5 and GTK3 is Wayland native.
Read: almost nothing is wayland native.

what is xwayland

Slower than native X.

you have brain damage

>what is xwayland

It is gayland devs realizing that asking users to dump all their software because of some neckbeard pipedream is retarded.

>wayland is already perfectly usable
>"neckbeard pipedream"
ok

Wayland follows the Unix Philosophy more closely than X does. That's why it can't do a lot of stuff.
GNU would be benefitted to gain the display and sound infraesteucture of Windows anyway. X is shit, ALSA is shit, PulseAudio is shit.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you?

>can't use redshift or any other screen overlay in wayland
>client-side decorations
no thx

>can't use redshift
Yes you can: aur.archlinux.org/packages/redshift-wayland-git/
>>client-side decorations
Wayland itself has nothing to say about this. But also this exists: github.com/wayland-project/wayland-protocols/blob/master/unstable/xdg-decoration/xdg-decoration-unstable-v1.xml
Now go tell those GNOME fucks to use it.

wayland*

Last time I checked the Wayland web site, I read that Wayland is a composite manager. OK, so it is an alternative to xcompmgr. So you use Wayland within Xorg: it does not replace Xorg.

you are literally forced to use gnome if you want features such as screen rotation and screen recorders such as OBS don’t even work. Wayland is a big pile of trash and typical linux trash

Freebsd is porting Wayland over.

But Xorg is monolithic trash Wayland actual follows the Unix philosophy retard.

the unix philosophy is gay and not how tools work

>tried it, buggy shit even with nvidia drivers
Fixed for you