/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Post your questions here

>Read

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4 (embed)
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j (embed)
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt (embed)
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7 (embed)

old thread:

Attached: 22 crop.jpg (500x500, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?&q=intext:btih Star Wars (1977) TN1 v1.6 BR.iso
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i5-8250U-GeForce-E5-576G-5762/dp/B075FLBJV7/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1535470003&sr=1-4&keywords=acer laptop
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2674065/error-windows-failed-to-start-a-recent-hardware-or-software-change-mig
tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5582_TL-SG108.html
askubuntu.com/questions/615006/ubuntu-15-04-network-manager-causing-slow-boot
pcpartpicker.com/user/Hipocrates1780/saved/MTRvnQ
lmgtfy.com/?q=clone OS
what-if.xkcd.com/31/
howtogeek.com/208917/htg-explains-how-hdcp-breaks-your-hdtv-and-how-to-fix-it/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

uhh what is she looking to make her to be smug like that? I dont like it please dont post this picture again

How can I make "This copy of windows is not genuine" go away forever? slmgr -rearm isn't working, even after going into regedit and setting skiprearm to 1

What are the first things I should do after installing windows 7?

Kmspico
Make sure it's signed by original programmer, or ...beware the crypto miner.

Install firewall
Comodo firewall shall do the job

Attached: its smug aura mocks me.jpg (500x374, 88K)

And disable smb, wannacry won't find you hehe

I can't set IrfanView as my default image viewer on Windows 10.

The program doesn't appear in the Photo Viewer dropdown menu on "Choose default applications".

Is this worth the money?

I want something I'll be able to edit videos on and reliably use for the next few years through university on a filmmaking course.

Attached: ce281e45df3f9c8b05cc354b762d6b95.png (1189x593, 346K)

pic -> right click -> open with -> browse -> get to app path -> select exe -> set as default app

What is the best version of a movie I can find in a torrent for 1080p? I know there are different torrents sources that tend to have different standards, I just want the absolute best version you can get in 1080p.

Attached: latest.png (2000x1331, 3.58M)

google.com/search?&q=intext:btih Star Wars (1977) TN1 v1.6 BR.iso

Why does Jow Forums hate laptop stickers?
I agree that many people who use them are onions-infused dicklickers with bad taste (pic-related), but surely one should hate the person and not the stickers?

Has there ever been a respectable person with tasteful laptop stickers?

Attached: actually-vomit-inducing-cringe.jpg (225x224, 11K)

I installed Antegros last night and it won't mount my ntfs drives from Windows so I can pull my stuff off and be rid of it finally. For reference it was from Win10 and I also tried installing ntfs-3g. They show up as disks in Gnome Disk, but mount option isn't available and mount commands don't work either and no filesystem info is shown.

Help me before I give up and go to Ubuntu (or at least Debian testing)

Can a VGA to HDMI converter output audio signals like a regular HDMI cable?

This always bothered me, since VGA shouldn't be able to do it.

no

Is there a way to get .webm to have a thumbnail in Windows 10?

Attached: ryonanashi.webm (1280x720, 356K)

I want to start self-hosting an e-mail server (preferably a throwaway one) and I plan on using a Raspberry Pi for that. However, idk anything about that topic, so where do I start? What are some good guides on that? Anyone else doing that and knows which pitfalls to avoid?

Attached: 1517655999091.gif (400x323, 993K)

You're probably not gonna have much luck doing that on a home internet connection. All the major spam blocklists assume that anything from an IP block used by residential ISPs is spam coming from a compromised machine. A lot of ISPs assume that too and block inbound connections on port 25. If you want to do this you need a VPS, not an RPi.

Note that there's still a bunch of hoops you have to jump through if you want anyone else's mail server to have anything to do with you, in the modern email world you're a spammer until proven otherwise.

Icaros
was using it for a long time, its good

Based rustle poster.
The eyes look a little, pale and glazed over, wouldn't you say? Just like a certain someone...

pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
ninite.com

Can i use any usb c phone charger on my thinkpad or do i need a special one?

Best 3 books to drown myself in the C with? I have a little object oriented experience

Attached: 167432718-1024x1024.jpg (981x1024, 181K)

Attached: 1519633104689.jpg (852x973, 475K)

>buy ram for laptop
>install it
>doesn't work

What the fuck did I do wrong it was the right type and it was the maximum supported size, should I buy Crucial ram instead? It was from A-Tech

shes looking at you! :)

My main laptop is dying so I'm stuck with a borrowed Chromebook for a while. When I hook it up to my second monitor it has a weird bug. When I move the mouse to the top of the second screen, it gets stuck for a few seconds. This doesn't happen on the laptop's screen, and it also doesn't happen on either screen with the mouse pad, only my USB mouse. Any ideas on how to fix this? It's really annoying.

Try reseating it. Make sure you take out the battery first.

I did, I took it out and put it back in twice. Laptop would just keep telling me hurr a recent hardware change happened. The old ram worked everytime I would put it back in.

My laptop doesn't have a battery just runs off the power cable.

Anker cables are the best quality you can get for the money right?

Just making sure

Attached: 31W5hMXylBL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (350x350, 9K)

>My laptop doesn't have a battery
Win10?

Get anything, they're all pretty much the same thing other than length.

NO i just removed the battery block because it never leaves my desk

How do I fix screen tearing on Linux? I can't tell if I'm using X or Wayland. I have a Nvidia GPU if that helps.

Win10?

I'd save a buck and get this:
amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i5-8250U-GeForce-E5-576G-5762/dp/B075FLBJV7/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1535470003&sr=1-4&keywords=acer laptop

the i5-8250U is hyperthreaded btw

W7

Yeah pretty much.

Is it worth getting a pop filter if Im just using a mic for voice chatting?

Attached: nail.jpg (480x524, 32K)

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2674065/error-windows-failed-to-start-a-recent-hardware-or-software-change-mig

Depends on your mic and how noticeable pops/hisses are already. You can get a cheapo one for $5-$10 and check it out.

It's courteous.

Its like bumper stickers. You have to project some faggot identity to the world with your unique stickers about whatever you're into, which is typically obnoxious. Its very, very juvenile. Wish you'd shut up about it. But please do put stickers on your shit. It'll be a great way to tell you're most likely retarded. I bet redditers LOVE putting stickers on their laptops for the same reasons

I tried startup repair the first time it happened. Start up repair wouldn’t even work. It would just try to load it reset boot up again try to load start up repair and it would loop

Should I get the managed version of this switch if its just 5 dollars more? I don't really know much about networking and I don't know anything about vlans but I might in the future...
tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5582_TL-SG108.html

Attached: 2018-08-28 11_59_20-Refurbished_ TP-Link TL-SG108 Unmanaged 8-Port 10_100_1000 Mbps Desktop Switch - (515x352, 114K)

Because there is DDR3 and DDR3L RAM.
and some devices are shitty as fuck and only use DDR3L.

Be more specific, model? use to charge it?

Sure

How can I debug what's causing long login times with GNOME? Like what kind of log files should I take a look at? Using Fedora 28, btw.

What's the best way to transfer my os to a new SSD card?

I've only experienced long login times on linux with network driver/service issues.
askubuntu.com/questions/615006/ubuntu-15-04-network-manager-causing-slow-boot

OS?

Windows 10

What's the technical, low level difference between 32-bit and 64-bit processors? I know that 64-bit processors can store 32 powers of 2 more addresses than 32-bit ones, but what does that actually change?

based loli hentai posting user

is it an SSD or an SD card?

looking for a tool thats an executable, that will write random / dummy data to a desk to check consistency, resilience, and failure rate. Any suggestions?

Buying a whole used pc is a bad idea, right?
Someone in my area's selling a 1080ti build worth at least $1550 for $1K

it's an SSD I'm using to replace my HDD.

Right, it's not really possible to install to an SD card which is why I asked.

You can't really 'transfer' an OS, you just have to install it to the new drive and reformat the drive where the OS current is. I mean, maybe if it were Linux and you really wanted to make life difficult for yourself, but Windows simply doesn't provide that level of tinkering. I would install windows onto the SSD, backup the whole HDD, reformat it as NTFS and then put all the important data (media, documents) back on the HDD.

I'm buying an album and I get to pick the file format, but don't know which is best: FLAC, MP3/320, WAV/44.1, or WAV/96?

Attached: 1437365481695.jpg (342x456, 36K)

WAV/96 is the best quality.

There are two types of compression, lossy and lossless. If you don't know about them, google them. FLAC is lossless, mp3 is lossly, WAV is uncompressed - it's what FLAC's and mp3's are made from, the original. As such, it's a lot bigger than FLAC and more so mp3. As FLAC is lossless compression, it reduces the size (roughly halves it) for an imperceptible loss in quality, unless you have an audio setup that goes into the thousands in price. The number after the WAV is the sample rate. I don't know as much about the technical side of that, but I do know that it controls the maximum frequency in the digital file. 44.1 is what CD's come in, however can sometimes cut off a few very high frequencies - some people claim with the right setups and songs they can hear the difference between 44.1 and 48. 96, however, goes into supersonic frequencies, you can't hear the extra frequencies it's saving. However again some people say that with the right setups they can still hear a difference, not the frequencies themselves but other damages from having a lower sampling rate. I can't comment myself. Seeing as you're unaware of all this though, just go FLAC and save yourself the disk space. Probably even mp3 but the difference between mp3 and FLAC is still arguably in the realm of being perceptible on common setups /if/ you have the ear for it.

pcpartpicker.com/user/Hipocrates1780/saved/MTRvnQ

okay, the graphics card for this thing died. I am recommending a 1050ti as best cost/performance. My friend uses this build primarily for gaming but he intends to upgrade to a new build pretty soon so he wants to stick to something a bit on cheaper end but he still wants this build to be decent.
what would you recommend for a replacement card? what tyoe of preformance increase would he so going to a 1050ti?

So if I install LTSB I won't be able to play any of the microsoft store games?
Had anyone actually tried playing them on LTSB?
If the answer is no, then is there another version of win10 I can install with the capability to play games but without the bloat?

Attached: ...png (560x600, 344K)

I have an LG Stylo 4 running Android 8.0.1. I use Blackplayer EX as my music player and I connect this phone via Bluetooth to my car. However at random times, Blackplayer app will crash when switching music with my steering wheel media controls. I then have to unlock the phone, re-open the app, and it will default back to the first song it had on when I last opened the app.

I switched 2 albums to my internal storage as opposed to my SD card and will play it from there to see if it still crashes. However if it doesn't, is it fair to assume my microSD card is on its way out?

I dont know why I quoted you.

Attached: download.jpg (262x192, 9K)

At what amount of data does it become faster/easier to just put it on a USB hard drive and fedex it to the destination rather than try to transfer over the internet?

Do you like the LG stylo 4? doesnt seem to be that great.

depends on upload and download speeds/

If you have a fast enough connection on both ends I'd say never because plenty of consumer internet connections are fast enough that they can beat what a typical USB hard drive would bottleneck on, even assuming USB 3.0/3.1/whatever. Also have to consider that copying data onto and then back off the drive must be done on two separate operation, where if it's transferred over the network it is written to the destination at the same time that it is read from the source. (Unless you plan to just keep the USB drive and not copy it back off or something.)

Bigger than what you could fit on a USB. If you're mailing over whole drives that might be different, but then you have to pay for a whole drive as well.

Yeah I do. Got it for $220 when I accidentally killed my LG V20 with coffee like an asshole. The camera is OK at best and 2GB of RAM is a bit of a bummer, but those are the only 2 cons really and I knew them getting into it. It's screen is beautiful for a phone in this price range and it's Snapdragon 435 is more than enough for keeping up with browsing etc. Also shipped with latest Android out if the box.

I know there are cheaper and/or more bang for buck oriented phones from say Motorola, but I've been burnt on them before. Not trusting them again.

should i wipe my ass upwards or towards my balls?

macrium reflect

I plan on getting into a Network Security. Any recommendation for a total noob?

Upwards. Then when you think you're all done, finish off with a single swipe with a baby wipe/moist towelette.

I want to give custom router firmware a shot. Should I? What are the biggest benefits? And which one?

Exhentai seems to use a lot of different ports and domains for the pictures. What kind of Firewall rules should I make in order to access the site? Is there a list of all their domains somewhere? I'd rather avoid any-any rules.

Attached: padsanda.jfif.jpg (225x225, 5K)

I think it's at least partially a P2P based system so...

you know the MSRP on that phone is 199.99 usd yeah? are you including the activation fee?

I'm worried this question isn't so stupid, but I don't know which thread to post it in, so I'll start here.

See this HDMI cable? I want to capture the video output from that cable and generate an image by taking just one frame out of that video. I need to do that once every few seconds. So imagine watching a video and every couple seconds, a frame of that video gets saved to a folder somewhere. So for example, if you captured 3 minutes of video, there would have been around 70 images generated. I've honestly got no idea how to do that, but I'm hoping there's some video capture software that's capable of doing something like that.

Attached: hdmi.jpg (431x373, 24K)

Nah it was the price at the TMobile store. And yes I know it's price however they gave me a $40 OtterBox case for it free for buying the phone outright. So in essence I paid $20 less than I would have anywhere else for the same phone and case.

Really?

lmgtfy.com/?q=clone OS

Attached: 1509066684471.png (170x170, 55K)

Drive was bad, silly oem shit.
the windows felt like it was a bad drive.
drive was replaced and all good now.

Attached: 1535398981352.jpg (500x710, 37K)

Yeah, the galleries are mirrored on a p2p network, so you are kinda SOL

>LTSB meme
Get regular enterprise, turn off the shit you don't want.

Customization beyond stock
**better security than shock

pfsense

but thats all crap,
go play with sophos utm on esxi / layer2 hypervisor or something more productive

More features mostly. And better security IF your manufacturer isn't updating it regularly enough. If your current fimware does everything you need, no need to rock the boat.

AC baby! Alternating current.

Or get a checkpoint / fortigate / (real)cisco / palo alto / and add it to ur resume later.

what-if.xkcd.com/31/

Okay. Thank you.

Attached: ♡.png (833x931, 888K)

howtogeek.com/208917/htg-explains-how-hdcp-breaks-your-hdtv-and-how-to-fix-it/

So Enterprise allows you to disable bloat ware you don't want but keep things you need?, Can it disable telemetry?
And where can you get enterprise?
Also can it be used with those tools that deactivate bloat on the ISO it's self?

Is CCCP+MPC still the definitive way to watch anime?

What’s the difference between them? Maybe I got the wrong type

>windows 10 on ssd
>all directories, games, media, programs installed on seperate hard drives
will i have any issues if i reinsall windows 10? will i need to remap my hdds and stuff after i install it. what ride am i in for if i do this, i want to debotnet from the beginning this time

Not really as long as you re-link the locations.

Attached: location.png (363x499, 12K)

You'll need to reinstall your programs. Steam can pick up game files if you point it in the right direction, or you can use the backup feature if you want.