Can Linux handle 4k/HiDPI scaling yet?

Attached: hidpi.jpg (1280x720, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes

no

maybe

I have been using a Dell XPS 15 with a DPI of 254 for nearly five years now. The experience has improved, but it's still a bit hit and miss. There a few ancient programs that are not DPI-aware at all, and some toolkits (most famously GTK+3) which even though they are DPI aware, have stopped following the enstablished standards, so convincing them to use the correct DPI is a bit of PITA unless you're using GNOME.

Qt supports fractional scaling, although the quality of the results are a bit “depend”. Integer scaling is definitely better supported, although you can do fractional scaling manually by leveraging the X server built-in scaler, which you can control with xrandr if your DE doesn't have a GUI for it.

And if you have mixed-DPI setups (e.g. HiDPI builtin with regulard-DPI external monitor) the situation is still quite messy.

theoretically

IDK you tell me

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-29 01-50-24.png (3840x2160, 1.32M)

wow, 3 apps. show us the cases where it doesn't work very well user

yes, in fact way better than winshit

Attached: 1165176492_f.jpg (500x375, 21K)

what about XFCE

I don't know, can you repeat the question?

This is the only reason I use macOS. Why can't Windows and Linux get their shit together and support DPI scaling properly? How hard can it fucking be?

abandoned software doesn't count

That's not saying much, Windows DPI scaling is godawful. Literally the only thing OSX does well

No
No
exactly
maybe
This
no
hell no

it's abandoned?

try the superior non-niggerlicius DE, gnome.
just werks

Attached: gnomestone.jpg (500x375, 151K)

yes, unfortunately

so scaling doesn't work?

No it isn't.

who is right?

ja

Linux supports it fine, the problem is that there's many ways to do it, or not do it at all, where different people prefer one over the other. Windows and macos will use a one-size fits all approach that alleviates you from the burden of discovery and choice. You could also just use a linux desktop environement like KDE, which supports it as well as windows or mac.

It's not abandoned. They're close to releasing 4.14
wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap

This is what I use.

Have a 14" QHD screen and scaling works great.

Obviously not, Linux is just the kernel.

Using GNOME on a Dell XPS 15 9560. Works great. I set the scale to 200% under the display settings to make text a bit more legible, and that was it.

Test

Attached: 4L_1Bq5Y3LK.jpg (1030x600, 32K)

I use 150% on a 4K 40" TV as my monitor, works flawlessly with bspwm and gtk based applications.

The only OS in the world that has proper scaling is Android.

considering that they're made for screens that are as small as 720p to massive 2048x1536 screens, it's pretty necessary

No, its a pain to set up

linux can not even display picture without tearing

Linux doesn't even care about your display, though? That's not the OS's job.

I'm on ubuntu with a 4K monitor and it looks sexy as all hell, so I'd say yea.

Linux gets 2nd place in user friendliness competing only against itself