10 billion down the drain with nothing to show for it

Press F to pay respects

Attached: 1520837344681.png (260x349, 70K)

AII development? Artificial Intelligence Intelligence development? What the fuck is that?

S

How much has Intel spent on 10 nm?

everything

DELID DIS

Who's using GloFo? Was it Intel?

PLEASE BUY THIS IP INTEL

Was it worth it?

AMD.

F but what really is the difference? is it that they can pack more transistors into one CPU? Why can't they just make the space available bigger then, that way they can add more cores n shit too
Someone explain this to a fuckwit like me

RIP Yusuf. If Schlomo gives up both Zhang and Sung will control this market.

Three reasons.
Firstly, yields. Pic related: red dots are defects in the silicon wafer; yellow chips contain a defect and are faulty. Larger die = a lot lower yields.
Secondly, larger dies give off more heat. Smaller transistors means less power for the same computation, or more transistors for the same power.
And the third one is more theoretical at this point, but speed of light is limited. It's very high but at 4GHz you have 0.00000000025 seconds between clock cycles, so beyond about 7.5cm (less for higher clocks) you start having latency problems inside the chip itself.

Bigger die = worse yields from the same wafer (less dies plus more defects)

Smaller nm = less power usage, more transistors at same die size

>pic related
I'm retardo

Attached: 1526980484263.png (3000x1000, 163K)

are wafer defects inherently unavoidable?

Thanks lads, I get it now

Attached: happy-senior-man-giving-thumb-up.jpg (1300x957, 109K)

With the current manufacture technology?
I don't think so.

AMD already move to TSMC

explain this to me, they stopped developing it to sell more 12nm/14nm chips?
is what they say? are they retarded? semiconductor industry gone mad recent years

Fuck Anons, is there still time to hop on this train? All of my instinct tells me that because of Intel's problems and 7nm coming up that AMD will continue to rise. But buying right now, when the stock has jumped 5 points in the last weak goes against all conventional wisdom. FUUUUUUUCK wut do?

Attached: 1515358237536.jpg (800x546, 57K)

I think it's just because once you get small enough there isn't anything you can do to stop quantum tunneling from dicking you over, so they're all thinking "This isn't worth the profit anymore, let's not bother"

A "defect" is an impurity on the nanometer scale. Defects in macro scale manufacturing are nearly unavoidable (every high-reliability component, e.g. in aerospace, is manufactured using state of the art processes and THEN undergoes quality testing that is literally never 100% passed), so making a pure, literally perfect wafer with 100% reliability isn't a thing nor will it be for a long time.

Best we can do is improve processes to reduce defects, but eliminating them totally is unrealistic.

tunneling starts at below 4nm and even that can be solved with materials

Wait some more for FOMO to set in
Then buy high and sell low

currently we can't avoid or we would. maybe in the future.
They're the cleanest rooms that exist, million times cleaner than surgery rooms. I assume the process of having stuff "perfect" at that scale won't exist until we are making graphene chips smaller than the current size we use copper at.

Exactly

When you want to buy the run is over.

stupid question, why not do it in vacuum?

humans don't respond well to vacuum

lol because humans literally walk around
eventually we'll probably have robots doing it so I guess it won't matter

why are humans still used in fabs? it looks automated enough

The machinery is so expensive the personnel costs are insignificant in comparison, specifically in asian countries.

make them work in space suits

Entropy is unavoidable

Attached: Jellylet.png (200x202, 10K)

This universe sucks so much, the designer is a fuckwit

And?
Glofo isn't the sole maker of AMD anymore.

AMD is trying to become the ARM of x86.