Steam For Linux Adds 1000 Perfectly Playable Windows Games In Under A Week

forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/08/27/steam-for-linux-adds-1000-perfectly-playable-windows-games-in-under-a-week/

Windows users, why aren't you on the fence right now contemplating ditching Windows for good in favor of switching over to a distribution?

What are your sad and pitiful pathetic excuses this time?

Attached: SteamPenguin.jpg (1200x600, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DcZZQ4HL_Ol969UbXJmFG8TzOHNnHoj8Q1f8DIFe8-8/htmlview?sle=true#
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i switched months ago because windows 10 was installing shit in the background causing my net to be shit every time i turned my pc on.

switched to xubuntu and this came out, no reason to ever switch back.

i like the botnet because it feels like the friends i dont have

>playable.
Games on my fucking xbone or other consoles are playable, but since I have dignity playable isn't enough.

Yay, it's time to play some video games!

Attached: 1534980818536.jpg (685x671, 95K)

Kind of cool, but I haven't installed steam in about 3 years. I don't want to record my GaMeRsTaTs for all my GaMeRbRoS. I'd rather support GOG.

Win10>Linux

No competition

how do i get this to run?

Why are freetards suddenly caring about video games?

photoshop

you can hide your gaymer stats now nerd. i disable that shit so autists dont say to me
>you have 3k hrs in csgo why are you so bad ecks dee

How well does it handle tf2?

all valve games are 100% stable and playable on linux.

That's actually pretty cool. But I do prefer the non-DRM option.

They always did, look at any linux thread and notice how many Jow Forums users dual boot and say they would switch entirely if not for games.

>What are your sad and pitiful pathetic excuses this time?
I'm still an employed adult developer as opposed to a retarded NEET kid.

it doesn't bother me because steam does everything for me, updates the game, stores my saves on their servers. works for me but not for other freetards i guess.

opt in for steam client beta and enable steam play

Based and redpilled

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DcZZQ4HL_Ol969UbXJmFG8TzOHNnHoj8Q1f8DIFe8-8/htmlview?sle=true#
>every other game is "unplayable"
its literally nothing

We Jow Forumsamerz now.

Attached: 1516425449581.jpg (496x475, 26K)

Give me decent GPU drivers and Office and I can't wait to leave windows.

I'll willing to bet almost all the games I play don't work on Linux. PUBG for example, feel free to call me a faggot.

Breeder

proprietary drivers & open office.

Tfw horrible drivers for RX580 on linux. Gib me a good driver and i switch

is this just a tailored wine setup?

I mean Microsoft Office. Every other option is shit.

I, I just don't fucking care. I don't want to use Linux. I barely even game any more, that wouldn't stop me moving to another OS. I'm considering getting a Chromebook to replace my dying Thinkpad X1 Carbon so that's clearly not the issue. I will be using Windows on my desktop for now for some mission critical apps but I'll probably give that up for Chrome OS within the next few years.

I don't like DRM.

Attached: 1533868658546.jpg (740x960, 180K)

Same
Most of my games in my library have Linux versions or run perfectly fine with Proton so I saw literally no reason not to

Now if only GoG galaxy can run on linux and utilise Wine/Proton to get their windows catalog running.

>don't want to use Linux
>Chrome OS
user, I have some bad news for you...

Yes but it's not really Linux in the sense that's meant by the OP and most other Jow Forumstards, is it? Furthermore, if I want to use Linux apps I will be able to on Chrome OS now. They're talking about releasing Windows/Chrome OS dual boot laptops too.

Admit it, you're jealous that Chrome OS has come out of nowhere and comfortably swept into 3rd place in front of Linux.

Finally, is time to stop using dual boot with windows and only use Linux, if they just make Adobe software available for Linux

Uh, almost all Source engine games are supported natively on Linux. I have been playing TF2 for years without issue.

My biggest problem is i just can't settle on which DE i like. Each has positive points and negative points.

This might sound stupid, but stop thinking and choose one. Most choices are good ones. Except GNOME. Don't use GNOME.

all of them are good. xubuntu is my favourite so far and i won't be changing anytime soon because its a PITA to do so.

I kind of like Gnome on my HTPC, the interface lends itself to 10ft usage pretty well.

Just use Wine program. Its mostly stable nowadays.

I mean if you really like it then go for it. You don't have anything to prove to the rest of us, I just dislike how Mac-ish it feels.
I like suggestion. I personally use Xfce and if you go with Xubuntu no configuration is necessary.

I like Microsoft but not the OS: Mint
I like Apple but not the OS: Elementary OS
I want Linux: Ubuntu
I like making things myself:Arch Linux.

owo stop using my waifu for your Jow Forums nonsense

Sadly, this is the truth.

It uses an anticheat, so of course not.
Most of these games listed already previously worked on linux, through passthrough, tweaking wine a bit, etc.

It's interesting though that Jow Forums doesn't whine about clickbait headlines when it appeals to their own perspective.

use wine for office

Yeah that isn't true columns 3 and 4 are Linux and chrome os respectively. Maybe do a tiny bit of research before mouthing off like an asshat.

Attached: Screenshot_20180828-174551.png (1280x720, 151K)

Reminder that a world-class csgo cheat package (aim tux iirc) is free and available on github. Csgo on linux does not implement VAC.

Use Wine then.

>I like Microsoft but not the OS: Mint
Deepin*
It literally looks like Fluent done (...er... mostly) right, without being too macOS like in the way Elementary is.

user I have even worse news for you. Chrome OS is Gentoo. You fell for the meme.

Attached: 6a7763cfb38cb092e00764fe0bdb77d3c49b11ec.png (801x880, 582K)

It's proof that botnets work and are glorious.
Anti-botnet shills GTFO.

your post is retarded but your attached photograph is very cute so ill let your transgression slide, kid..

fuck off gaymers we're full, try freebsd

WPU office or Libre office both are great for Linux. As for GPU just get Nvidia for now.

Because 99% of linux binaries already work under windows in return so I've no need to change anything

This will never work until Wine can fully emulate Win 7 properly. The steam page flat out says it will never work with any game that used DRM.

It's a nice start but not enough.

And you are flat out wrong because it officially supports Nier

Attached: um6ijro.jpg (3192x2124, 660K)

see

i am on the fence desu
just got a new acer laptop and the w10 experience so far is horrible
spent some time uninstalling unnecessary shit, and i am about to figure out which linux distro to dual boot

Supports it, but literally everyone's having issues with it.
So good fucking luck hun.

I'm thinking of switching. What distro should i use if i want something that looks like windows?

Wtf I love the botnet now!
I'd usually call you out on calling my post retarded but since you've got good taste I'll let your slip of the tongue slide, kid.

Attached: 33eb0801dba310c3c0dd6376173dd49d0f267bcc.jpg (222x278, 40K)

What's wrong with linux GPU drivers? Most of the graphics issues on linux are from X being shit.

*at half fps teehee

Literally anything you want? The distro has absolutely nothing to do with what desktop environment you use. Try KDE.

your 3 buddies on discord don't count as literally everyone

>hurr durr we can't game on linux so gaymers are fuckin losers u manchildren
A WILD PROTON APPEARS!
>500 threads of "windows BTFO we can game now we have like 9 games u have no reason to have windows we so much better than u"

Freetards are the feminists of the IT world - will do an immediate 180 on their deepest-held beliefs if they think it can win them an argument. The funniest part is that they, like feminists, will swear blind that they haven't done a 180, or pretend that it's perfectly logically consistent.

Bonus points for "it's like Jow Forums is more than one person" - when everyone knows full well you were knocking gaming yesterday.

Attached: 1529705577475.jpg (480x360, 26K)

Pretty much no game with decent graphics is stable

I'm pretty sure my Rift doesn't work on Linux, at least not officially. Beyond that the performance drop you get in some cases is not appealing, but this a very interesting development and I'm really curious to see where it leads when it's more mature.

>Tried the shitty civ5 Linux port
>had to downgrade packages to even start the game, and it crashed 10 minutes into a game
>steam play works flawlessly with non whitelisted titles

I hope valve lets you install Windows versions of games with trash linux ports in the future, so far proton's worked amazingly

Attached: 1531760217426.jpg (321x315, 7K)

farming sim work?

>Every other option is shit.
care to state why open office or libre office are shit when compared to microsoft office?

A lot of linux games are just using winelib to get their shitty code to compile on linux. I have no doubt that proton will be better than any wine port.

When you're a fanboy of an OS with 2% market share you get desperate.

so you are trying to argue that Jow Forums is NOT more than one person? or are you just guessing that those two groups of posters are the same people?

found the salty wintard who is upset that Linux is one step closer to doing everything wangblows can do and better

Attached: whatthefug.jpg (584x649, 101K)

>Windows users, why aren't you on the fence right now contemplating ditching Windows for good in favor of switching over to a distribution?
I'm surprised some of these thousands of games are actually AAA ones.
The Witcher 3 is playable on linux now? This is big

>Being bad at cs with +3k hours
>Constanza.png

Now seriously, how is CSGO performance on Linux? It runs like garbage on Windows even with a 8700k and a gtx 1070 (alt tabbing takes ages mainly... Jesus).

Yes thanks to dxvk it's even rated gold on winehq

Reasons to use Windows:

It worked fine for me on wine even before dxvk but having proton integrated into the steam client is really convinient.

I believe it may be working with the latest wine but I don't think Proton's gonna help you.

Modern wine isn't that hard to use if you want to start tinkering and it turns your game into a portable folder when you've got a working prefix.

Just slap it on a USB 3.0 and play anywhere.

Attached: 1531644046918.jpg (777x704, 57K)

based and redpilled

>Windows users, why aren't you on the fence right now contemplating ditching Windows for good in favor of switching over to a distribution?

Because I don't play games? I'm sorry are we on /v/ right now what the fuck is going on?

AMD RX or Vega series, or any nVidia with proprietary drivers
LibreOffice is less shit than Microsoft office. You can always use WPS.

>1000 games
Oh wow, it's literally nothing.
(Because proportionally speaking, it IS nothing)

Adobe software especially After Effects, and no, fuck off with that "muh Blender" shit, Blender is good for what it was made for but I'll not be wasting more time with Blender on something I can do in 5 minutes using AE.
And no, I don't work on professional video editing or anything of the like, I just make shitty memes but that is a hobby I enjoy enough to not let go of it, and shit not-really-suited-for-it alternatives like Blender turn that fun hobby into a hassle.
Actually, Linux is just shit for media production in general.

Also still waiting for that LoL port.
It's practically the only game I play anymore.

But I know these ports will never exist because of pic related.

And the marketshare will never grow until you take ease of use and user experience as serious problems. Because as it turns out (and this might come as a surprise to you), in principle you shouldn't need to know how computers (or your system) work to use them.

Attached: plus, due to marketshare, the effort put into porting something to linux is just not worth it.png (785x1020, 68K)

Oh god yes dying light on DXVK makes my penis the big penis

Attached: 1525016619183.jpg (450x338, 38K)

games suck, linux sucks, gnu sucks, computers are tools, steam is botnet

>that image
Written by a complete retard

The point of the OP is trying to make is that there are fewer reasons to use Windows every day. And when there are none, the baby ducks will have nowhere to hide, and this is what the whole thing was about from the start. I can't gayme, I can't do CAD, I can't use photoshop. Sure. CLI sure is one big boogeyman, even though you can avoid it easily.

Until this problem is solved. Linux will never get past 0.5% of Steam user marketshare.

Attached: 1528618047508.jpg (1000x4600, 1.42M)

>that LoL port.
LoL works fine on Linux. Install it through Lutris.
>because of pic related.
The pic related is wrong in every way. All it's issues are solved with snaps, flatpaks and appimages. Init systems don't matter and neither do kernel versions when everyone you'd target is using the current LTS usually. Desktops literally don't matter for software other than gtk and qt being slightly different, and qt has gtk compatibility. Either way you can always just use your own GUI toolkit. File systems are also irrelevant.
Is that article written by a complete idiot?

>You have to develop for all these platforms
If you hard code your shit with literal goto tier shit instead of using generalized APIs that work sanely inside of their safe little boxes it makes thing difficult. Oh wait we're talking about gamedev...

Linux users are a smaller portion of the community but there were some decent stats that they actually shell out more than windows users and mac users for software purchases that are listed pay what you want. I believe it was a humble bundle but I can't find the link.

Bottom line: If your software is good and allows me to do as I will, I will pay good money for it. A majority of the applications on windows are pure swindleware so people shell out as small a portion they can get away with or pirate.

Attached: 1525970355230.png (752x908, 837K)

>But I know these ports will never exist because of pic related.
That's not how any of this works. The only thing adobe has to worry about is opengl (which they already use because macOS) and some graphics framework. All that shit about programming for multiple distros and multiple DEs and multiple filesystems (lol) is just horseshit.

Dropbox does filesystem level shit like X-attrs, but they're stilling making a choice to explicitly check for filesystems that aren't ext4, and prevent their program from working, instead of just letting people run it unsupported. So even when the filesystem matters it actually doesn't.

welcome to the club brotha

Attached: xubuntu.png (600x500, 35K)

>A WILD X APPEARS XDDDD
get the fuck back to rddit you cringe peice of shit.

>fewer reasons to use Windows every day
In which most people have moved on to using iOS for all of their needs - your point? Oh no wait, we're supposed to care about who 'wins' some platform wars in the eyes of neets who do nothing but play old games all day?

Irrelevant and non-issue. If you think it's an issue then you're stupid for falling for a meme. It's just used as an excuse by people who genuinely don't WANT to support Linux.
Distributions don't differ so much to have software incompatible across multiple distros. Anything that works on debian will work on Ubuntu, anything that bundles itself in an appimage will work on basically any distribution ever without any tinkering required by the user. Software can pack itself into snaps or flatpaks, again being supported by any distro as long as the user installs snap/flatpak dependencies (if they don't exist out of the box).
And even if you're so fucking incompetent as a dev and can't make an appimage, flatpak or a snap then you can at least just make your shitware for debian or ubuntu.

The only exceptions I can think of are some obscure distros which don't even use GNU, and android as well as very special use distos which wouldn't even use your software anyway.