Be computer science major

>be computer science major
>cant do basic algebra

Attached: 1534561494966.jpg (970x545, 64K)

>can't do basic algebra
>somehow got into cool leg/uni
K

>doing cs degree in college
>too dumb to learn anything

feels bad to be a brainlet bros

Attached: manchestergunpull2.gif (500x220, 1.83M)

So? Just write a program to do algebra for you like everyone else

Attached: 1532071009539.jpg (371x359, 42K)

Please clarify which scenario applies:
>1. I am enrolled to study CS and can't do basic algebra
>2. I am currently a CS student and can't do basic algebra
>3. I hold a CS degree and can't do basic algebra
And regardless, please explain
>1. How is that possible?

>tfw linear algebra is my downfall
>decent at basic calculus though
>but all the cool jobs are all AI cancer, which is heavily steeped in linear algebra
I didn't even want to get into software engineering, I wanted to be in hardware. I love working with FPGAs and I've implemented basic ISAs in Verilog before, but I couldn't land a job at a hardware company. I'm stuck doing menial python shit and debugging SQL server issues.
Fuck my life.

> be me
> comp sci major
> fail calc 1 three times
> dropo

Attached: 1534005495265.jpg (550x550, 59K)

>I'm in a fourth year of a maths degree, why the fuck would you take mod 1? Any number mod 1 is just going to be itself.

>be math major
>know 7 programming languages
(Java, C, C++, BASIC, VisualBASIC, Python, Matlab)
>Still perfect in algebra, calculus, statistics, etc.

Why are CS majors such brainlets? Whenever I tutor them, they are extremely slow to understand even the simplest things. Even bio and literature majors are smarter.

>be me
>starting fourth year out of a five year combined bsc and msc in compsci/engineering
>done well in majority of classes. Includes programming, network protocols etc.
>have re-exams I'm yet to pass in calc 1, calc 2, linear algebra, physics and a couple of other classes where you need maths for

I feel you OP, don't let it become as bad as it is for me. I gotta start from the beginning and let algebra become second nature for me before I can start digging myself out of this hole. I procrastinated and kept taking more programming related classes because those were easy and fun for me. Woops.

Sure, while your pride yourself on being a human calculator we have the machines do all the calculating for us.
Doing all the math shit by hand, gtfo.

>>know 7 programming languages
>(Java, C, C++, BASIC, VisualBASIC, Python, Matlab)

>BASIC, VisualBASIC, Python, Matlab
How impressive

Being a math major there is a big chance you're a complete shit developer that barely understand version control or software development and just spew out unmaintainable spaghetti to run your analysis or experiments.

>VisualBASIC
LUL

Visual Basic was deprecated over 12 years ago. Well done, you know a dead programming language.

You must be one of those retards who thinks knowing a language's syntax is also knowing the language.

If you haven't shipped a product yet, you're not even a considered a developer.

This. You can learn the syntax of a programming language in a few weeks. Becoming a programmer takes much longer.

I got a job as a software dev after doing an MS in applied math. CS majors just don't want to admit that their entire degree can be learned in spare time.

Someone has to be able to program those computations. Knowing Linear Algebra very well and knowing how to code is worth 6 figures.

thanks for you (You) f@m. Yes, focus on the thing that makes you mad. I will enjoy my salary.

Tell yourself whatever you want to feel better. You can become a software engineer without a CS degree easily.

>If you haven't shipped a product yet, you're not even a considered a developer.

Well, user? I'm waiting.

Joke's on you, depends on what algebra.

nigger what the fuck how do you fail calc three times??? I'm not even great at math but i passed calc 1

You can be successful in any non-research field without a degree. Pretentious college kiddies and their survivor bias are always afraid to admit that they paid thousands of dollars for someone to walk them through books.

Never go to class, never study for exams/do homework

Great, hope your employer is Italian.

> first time, I failed with a D+
> second time, I stopped going to class after week 2
> third time... summer session. I stopped going
Now I'm becoming a RF technician because I'm too dumb

Attached: 1518937679215.png (656x755, 57K)

Some people don't give a shit.

There was a reddit thread that said a ML package or class or something came out and you needed to know linear equations. There were comments saying ">linear equations nope" with almost a hundred upvotes.

Why would I identify myself and post my github/code repos?

I'm also aware that most STEM students are shit. I enjoy laughing at all the plebs.

Completely by coincidence, my boss is italian, but the organization I work for is not based in Italy.

>double-majored in CS and Statistics
>first job out of college is webdev monkey
Pay is great but I was hoping for something more stimulating desu

If the work wasn't too difficult for you then there's nothing stopping you from continuing your education on your own. Pirate some books and do a chapter a day.

Why would any user admit who they are on Jow Forums and post their github, bitbucket, etc here?

>CS majors just don't want to admit that their entire degree can be learned in spare time.
Well yeah how else do you get into CS than studying on your own during high school?

A lot of people start CS with no prior experience in 1st year of university because
>muh job

In my class most of those people dropped out/transferred within the first month because it wasn't what they expected.

True. Somehow idiots can still get through by barely passing class after class though.

>humanity - language/history highschool, barelly passing math with Ds
>now at CS and struggling with calculus

I'm in computer science and I failed all the programming and math classes in my first year. I don't know what to do anymore. Along with all the shit in my personal life, I'm getting ever so closer to offing myself

Well, I can say for sure that you should not study anything in STEM.

Attached: 1526127193450.png (1440x1440, 827K)

How the hell did you get into your college then?

The biggest problem is that I live in a foreign country so all my classes are in a language I've only spent a year studying so I don't understand the majority of the lectures and teaching. I'm also uncertain as to whether or not I even like Cs so it's made me extremely lazy. I'm fucked

I've actually been wondering this for awhile now, what is considered a solid GPA for CS and/or Math? Particularly as you're heading into your junior and senior years

1 rule:
step-by-step
You are trying to run before know how to walk.
Slow down a bit my friend.
STEM is for everyone, but you have to start from the basic/fundamental.
I suggest you should start with gre_math_review pdf (just google it. It explain most things in practical manner arithmetic, algebra, geometry, basic data analysis). then jump to Linear Algebra (focus on vector, matrix, linear combination - projection from space to space which are practical). Finally try to find James Stewart pre-calculus and calculus, very detailed and full of pictures.

You could also try MIT opencourseware or other online course on these subject(Algebra - Linear Algebra, Calculus) etc

There is nothing impossible, my plan might not be the best, but It will work if you can do as what I told you.

>STEM is for everyone
Why are you lying to this user and giving them false hope? This is extremely mean user. Don't lead people in a direction they will not succeed in.

>>www.google.com

5 of those are meme languages.

Matlab is used in many engineering settings, including some DSP work.
BASIC is used to teach children how to code. Not a meme, just not enterprise.
Java, C, and C++ are all used in either academic or enterprise software.

VB is definitely a meme though.

Uh, sweety, programming isn't about knowing algebra. Just npm install a library that does the hard math for you.

There were a time I feel like killing my self just like that too.
But I believe the different (or frankly gap) from people to people is knownledge. I just happen to be more autism and read a little bit more and as

I read my mind become more logically and clearer. I believe he can do it too. That is if he "really really" want to though.

Reality is that "really really" is not achievable for most people. user is better off dropping out and getting a service industry job.

Not OP but this guy
I saved your tips, thanks a lot.

It's frustrating because i can totally see how I wouldn't be able to understand my advanced programming classes with assembly or whatever if I didn't have a good grasp of the basics of programming, but for some reason I haven't been able to apply this to math.

It's probably due to both being impatient, getting anxiety about the whole thing and spending the time studying for my programming exams/projects instead and putting off the math.

Your method is exactly what I will have to do before I finally get my degree though, become real humble and sit down churning through basic algebra problems to become comfortable just manipulating numbers.

Any other people have feel-good stories about overcoming their difficulties in any subject/area?

>Reddit

How difficult is Computer Science maths at University?

i did as well user. literally 3 times. luckily i got a tech internship in hs and worked there for 8 years

Just have to take calc I and II along with linear algebra at most american universities I think. I'm horrible at math and I still managed to pass calculus,

>Any other people have feel-good stories about overcoming their difficulties in any subject/area?
I transferred to another school that doesn't require calc2 for CS majors. so transfer to an easier school.

Heh, would if I could. In my country it's pretty standardized if you want a compsci/enginnering bachelors+master degree.

I keep telling myself that at least I can take more advanced actual compsci/programming classes than I would've been able to if I took an easier IT+programming degree and skipped the math.

this:

You're going to reach a crossroads where you realize not everyone gets into or does well in STEM, then realize some disproportions and either go full SJW or Bigot.
>meritocracy is for everyone but why isn't everyone doing well, and these disproportions?
>clearly we're not living in a meritocracy at all

Now I understand what you mean. I respect your opinion.
But I believe in STEM, hardwork can beat natural talent as long as you believe you will arrive at that destination you want.

> hardwork can beat natural talent
this. adderall helps

>just work hard, do your best, walk up to that professor, and shake his hand with a firm grasp
>anyone can succeed in STEM with enough grit

Attached: maxresdefault.1.jpg (1280x720, 83K)

>can do basic algebra

Attached: 1534712952297.jpg (250x250, 6K)

Same except it was only twice.

I was a NEET for a very long time then I became a geriatric nurse for a couple of years.

Now I'm 23 and getting into a computer science school. I realize that the school won't teach me enough on its own to make me even remotely good at programming. I just want the certificate at the end of it that give me the chance to get employed. My question is can I become really good at computer science in those 3 years if I put in the effort?

Yeah, I think so. But it'll become so much easier if you end up thinking programming is fun and start to tinker a bit with it.

I already started to learn and I'm enjoying it. I'm just afraid to be too old and busted to make this my job. I really need to make those 3 years count and learn enough to become employable.

can't do that in an algebra exam
By being retarded and having third world tier public school education

I failed basic math twice. Yes, I did study all day every day.

I'm done the same thing and I'm 29. Trying to get into web development.

>Yes, I did study all day every day
And that's why you failed. Study smart not hard.

lazy nigger

>tfw 105 iq intellectual and all concepts come eazee to me

Attached: 1526253954046.png (1500x900, 1.02M)

the only non brainlet language on there is Matlab and still i doubt you are highly profficent init unless you specificly work with it
you arent specificly smart for knowing how to write any other language
>bragging about knowing VB , oi im laffin

Are you the guy from the thread the other day who couldn't multiply?

>IQ of 105
>Intellectual
You're barely above the last average stats I saw

>Have to take at least linear algebra to get a CS degree here
Where the fuck are you guys from that this is common?

tfw when IQ125 and don't understand any shit those goblins and dwarfs in highschool spew out everyday.
Won't complain though.

That's fine, as long as you're not messing around fucking elves

Haha fag

i aint falling for the double bait
you double nigger

Try this on for size, CS brainlets

Attached: 1526913396309.jpg (701x576, 129K)

I'll bite, 1/2. Am I retarded?

1/2?

Algebra I is piss easy. Geometry and Trigonometry are easy enough; even if you forget the basics you can easily pick it up again with a quick refresher. Algebra II is where it gets iffy. It starts out fine, then it gets difficult towards the end; but hey, most programs don't require advanced algebra, the basics will do you just fine. Calculus? If I wanted to torture myself, I'd join the army.

>be EE major
>got an internship in embedded software development without any upper-division coursework in EE or CS

IMO anyone complaining about math, has no business doing CS whatsoever. And I don't even like math nor am I good at it. I just don't take anyone who isn't willing to learn math at all seriously. It tells me you're retarded as fuck or you're lazy as fuck, both of which aren't traits I want to be around.

2/3

How? There's only 2 possible boxes with at least 1 gold ball and one only has 1 so there's only a 50% chance that the next ball from the fans box is gold too.

50%

Since you already picked one gold ball, that means you didn't pick the right box and it's excluded. If he picked the left box, the odds are 100%, if he picked the middle box, the odds are 0%.

Because if you picked a gold ball its more likely that you chose box one instead of box two.

>trying to learn web dev
>can't even fully understand html

I was told that web dev was a good way to get a real job and escape the minimum wageslave life. I can't even do html

AHHHHHH FUCK

Attached: please just fucking kill me.jpg (489x599, 58K)

kek, it's ok user. i believe in you

Attached: 1534385333928.png (271x186, 7K)

You don't need to understand it, you only need to rote-learn a bunch of patterns.
There are retards who do webdev. All sorts of mental morons: double digit IQ, females, normies.
Barely above a chimp, if that.

1/3 easy

Be computer science minor. Can't program way out of a box, get D's and F's in all college math courses.

Make 200k before 30 years old because you go into software sales and can do what most comp sci's cannot- talk to people. Feelsgoodman

But if I can't even understand html how will I understand css and js?

>be me
>can do basic algebra
t. computer science major

Attached: 1534696901297.png (1388x1132, 1.66M)

Yes.
No, but nice dubs.

2/3, right?
t. Computer Engineering