TELL ME WHY LINUX IS SO GREAT?!

I’m so SICK AND TIRED of you guys and people I know saying how Jesus gifted Linux to the world. I’m a normie who uses Windows. I just want to run excel, access, play and mod video games, use itunes, browse the web, torrent, make system images and do some presonal admin stuff like firewalls, internet router settings and messing with regedit.

EXPLAIN TO ME HOW LINUX IS SUPERIOR RIGHT NOW!!!!

Attached: 92CC9D58-FE20-4CE3-B5D5-A91C1FD450A0.jpg (310x320, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ll0GCPFpNQs
fixubuntu.com/
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you need to ask you don't need to know :)

>1.4₹ has been deposited in your account
now go poo in the loo

Attached: 1528496762001.jpg (448x400, 53K)

it's not.

>too much of a brainlet to use Linux applications
>music listening faggot
>"lol I'm not underage"
learn how to use a toilet, street shitter
youtube.com/watch?v=Ll0GCPFpNQs

Attached: poopooman.png (298x242, 119K)

it's not, linux is for fucktards that have too much free time to mess with their system every other day for hours on end because shit doesn't work.

Ubuntu and FreeOffice are easier and faster to install and upgrade than Windows 10 and MS Office. There are no inbuilt spying features, and Windows malware doesn't run on it. There are no license restrictions either. I don't think there are any other reasons to actually use it.

>this
/thread

>I just want to run excel
You can use Google Docs, LibreOffice or OpenOffice
>play and mod video games
you can use wine, playonlinux or lutris
>browse the web
all major web browsers are supported (unless you use IE or edge)
>torrent
you can use torrent clients on linux
>make system images
you can do that with dd
>firewalls
ufw and iptables
>internet router settings
all proper routers use linux so you'd be helping yourself by using linux and learning it
>and messing with regedit.
one of the advantages of linux is that it *doesn't* have a registry edit

as for itunes, sorry kiddo

>There are no inbuilt spying features
fixubuntu.com/

I turned to Linux after decades of Windows, and I can tell you just why.

I grew sick of software doing random shit I don't want, I don't want the slightest piece of software able to steal my data without me even being able to intervene, I don't want Windows versions of open-source software to be bundled with malware, and no Yahoo I don't want your search bar, no Adobe I don't want to download an installer for the downloader to install the platform from which I can create an account and download your software. None of this bullshit exists on Linux, because it wouldn't even fly. Linux users want control, and I got tired of shit I have zero control over. Using open-source software, you hardly have this issue, most code isn't really audited in-depth, but such bullshit never goes unnoticed, and maintainers are rarely that evil.

I grew sick of relying on convoluted software for the most basic tasks too, all using proprietary, obtuse formats that wouldn't work with each other, and I came to realize the basic terminal environment is entirely fucking functional, albeit with a steep learning curve for sure. I take a lot of notes, write a lot of shit, and I used to do that on Word, and what a nightmare to handle all that shit. Then I turned all my notes from Word format into plaintext: now I can version it and make compressed backups which I can archive in a blink, I can search through it incredibly efficiently, I can cross-reference stuff, and oh this got so simple. If I need to output something nice, well no more bullshit WYSIWYG, I already put enough basic formatting and markdown, I can turn it in an instant into a perfect LATEX document. And for the large data I have which I used to put into Excel, I either just have plaintext tables with - and |, which works just the fucking same, and when I need to sort, compare, arrange, I put everything in a basic SQLite database and query it.

That includes shit like handling my todo-list in a project-management style with deadlines, budget, locations, people, numbers to call, and it works flawlessly. I built an entire workspace from scratch out of simple, basic computer tools, and it just fucking works.

And finally, I got rid of this "software/data" oriented mindset. People on Windows care way too much about the software they use because all of it is shit, and considering you need to update/format once in a while because even being the most careful guy you end up with some shit at some point, plus the system gets all clogged up for no reason, and reinstalling everything is a fucking nightmare. Meanwhile, not only this isn't necessary on Linux, it can also be done very quickly and efficiently, and for the sake of trying, I did it twice, and it went wonderfully well. No more am I keeping entire drives full of software I need, with patches, fixes, and extra configuration, now I just keep my actual personnal, useful, relevant data, which isn't dependant on any specific software, and relieves me of one huge fucking strain.

Now Linux can have issues with exotic hardware, and yes sometimes you have to get your hands dirty to get something to work, but once it works, it just works, and it'll never stop, and that's the paramount of reliability you can get today.

>Excel
Just use LibreOffice or Gdocs
>Games
Lots of Steam stuff is available on Lannucks. Steam Play lets some Windows exclusive stuff run, with more support coming. WINE is also good, and, if all else fails, use a VM or dual boot.
>iTunes
Don't. Copy your library and use a less garbage player. I'm partial to gmusicbrowser.
>Torrent
Most distros come with a torrent client.
>System images
Like backups? There are programs for that.
>Router settings
192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 in your browser.
>Regedit
I don't think mose distros use a registry, but I may be retarded.

www.ubuntu.org

It's not.

Attached: 1311015555398.jpg (475x475, 20K)

>Why GNU/Linux is so great?
The four freedoms
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

>why
* Easier to program
* More customizeability
* PROPER FUCKING WM
* Some better software
>why not
* Lack of corporate software
* Most distros are variations of shit (fucking old packages in Gentoo, Shit PMs in everything APT, no 64-bit wine in Void, retarded lack of codecs on SUSE and so on)

There is 1 (one) reason to not use gnu+linux as your daily driver.
And that's if you're addicted to video games

Holy shit, Proton has triggered the shills fucking hard. I dont care that its just a glorified WINE wrapper, this shitshow makes it all worth it. Thank you based gaben.

Actually Valve is trying to cover that part as well. A lot of games work fine now.

Convenient and efficient for software developing.

in SUSE you can get the codecs from packman. sudo zypper in vlc && sudo zypper in vlc-codecs

>in SUSE you can get the codecs from packman. sudo zypper in vlc && sudo zypper in vlc-codecs
Yeah, except you have to google for that and main articles point to some shady broken "1 click" installers. That shit is unacceptable for a modern distribution. It's like I'm back to Windows XP.

Shouldn't be

TELL ME WHY IS LINUX SO GREAT?

Instead of "WHY LINUX IS"

Its an ebin cool hacker os. Thats all. Its funny how saying anything against loonix gets you labeled as poojeet in here despite the fact that pajeet land is the country with the third largest loonix userbase just behind Cuba and Russia. Loonix bbabbies in here are really insecure.

Ubuntu doesn't use Unity anymore

That goes for Windows too now.

>I’m a normie
then Linux isn't for you

>use operating system of freedom
>use google docs
ISHYGDDT

With linux i can delete everything at the system disk, in windows i can't do this.
When you want to play the high end games you choose windows, when you want to create your own server and want to know what is behind the internet the you use linux.

It isn't. Now go away.

wps is a better office solution, written in Qt

Its free
It has a software repository
You can make your own repos and use it for delivering your own software so not dependant on your OS company's mercy to sell software
Gives the user the freedom to do what he wants instead of deciding what they want
Thats some advantages I can think of why a 'normie' would want Linux.

based and textpilled.

The funny thing is, people try to shill by talking about "alternatives" like Libreoffice, but alternatives by definition tend to suck worse than what they replace (no one calls Apache an "IIS alternative")
To actually benefit from using Linux instead of just using it for memes and ricing, you need to use different tools and at least have a basic understanding of the command line. But it's hard to shill Linux that way.
Once you get used to it though it's had to use shit like Word since you miss being able to use git and not having spooky shit happen to your text all the time

LINUX IS A DAMN FINE KERNEL LEAVE LINUX ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has its perks, for example I don't have to set the path variable when I download and install a programming language

And for Sys admins who actually want to make money. Windows server admins get paid way less

/thread and faggot OP BTFO

It's almost like not everyone uses Linux just because it's free software

nice pasta

I'm using Windows 10 in a virtual machine using PCI passthrough under an Arch Linux so I can game at almost native Windows performance under Linux. Also I never have to reboot to switch OS's which improves my workflow.

I like how you can transfer information between all programs. With one command executed you can do many complicated things. Kernel is a bless.