/hsg/ - Home Server Genital

/hsg/ - Home server general

>Hosting your own DOOM server edition!

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
Seems like Green WD are not sold nowadays. So WD Reds are okay for the price if you want "NAS Drvies". Otherwise HGST and Toshiba are your friends.

---> FAQ & Tips Chat

Attached: server-opt.jpg (374x500, 83K)

What tool are you using for your network diagrams?

Attached: network-diagram-example-enterprise-network-architecture.png (1314x665, 105K)

I got a server rack full of Proliant DL140 G3s free. Are they shit? Should I just gut/sell them and get something modern?

Any recommendations for large NAS enclosures? Looks like a used Supermicro 24 bay server might be a good cheap option

Yea, at 16+ drives in one box, it's usually a good idea to look into server rackmounts.

Although consider for a moment if lowering drive count with bigger drives or choosing a more cloud storage like architecture with like, gluster or ceph [you know, to avoid that one server taking all of your drives offline when whatever part fails, never mind getting the option to easier deal with additional drives of different size that you purchase gradually as-needed] wouldn't be better.

Pen and Paper

post your server setups pls i need inspiration

Attached: 1517230470766.png (388x351, 213K)

you can upload like unlimited data to google drive for like 600$ a year. why build a home server and spend money putting 100$ harddrives in it every 2 years? the cost of the highspeed router/cables/motherboard/cpu/power/drives you use will literally be more than using google cloud.

your limited to 750gig upload per user per day but to get unlimited you have to make 5acounts and pay 50$ a month. if you don't need to upload that much its just 120$ a year....

NAS/home server are retarded unless your literally collecting pedophilia. google doesn't care you have pirated movies or games on its servers if you don't share it.

and if you live in some shithole where you cant retrieve it fast enough from google servers then you wont be downloaded that much data to begin with and even if you have a laptop a external 5tb drive or some thing will be enough for like 2years of downloads. and your cheap router will prob let you plug it into that even.

you guys are trying to fix problems that literally don't exist or your just pathological hoarders with mental problems

>home servers are just for storage
No.

what would be the cleanest way of adding disks to my local machine. right now i got sata cables dangling out the case to my hd cage and its not comfy.

forgot to say i dont want a new server, just want more spinny bois and dont want spaghetti everywhere

Anyone ever build their own rackmount case? I have a couple desktops worth of parts including a low profile cpu cooler and I figure I should put them in a rack. Low budget of course, so I want to build the rack and the cases. Any tips?

>gets a server
>has only used it once for a few hours to upload some 500GB to google drive
>regrets doing it as user could just had plugged the hdd into the openwrt router

The electricity bill is real.

Orico has got big cleanly attachable devices for up to like 8-10 HDD.

But the cheaper way is just to replace your tower, or maybe even mount the drives on metal rails and route your cables well. Or use Orico multi-cables for a bit less spaghetti.

Pic related. There are like 40 models. You probably don't want any builtin RAID, mdadm is better.

Attached: 1088USJ3-1.jpg (1200x600, 58K)

Suggestion on a PCI raid card under 50€ with at least 2 sata2 port?

Get a SATA controller off ali for like $10.

Let Linux handle RAID with it's md/dm layer through mdadm or LVM2. Proprietary hardware RAID is usually dangerous crap.

i was thinking more of a interface instead of an enclosure, like a port multiplier but has outside connectors (sas i guess) because i already dug myself a hole by buying a $80 5.25 bay. right now i got the side panel off just so i could get the cables out of the case

I have 4 onboards sata ports, so that is ok
I have always worked with hardware raid and never had problem, do you suggest to give software raid a try?
PS: intention is to boot from usb drive and use 2 disk in raid 1 for syncthing and an off-site backup

> like a port multiplier but has outside connectors
There are PCI cards with external SATA or SAS ports, but that still leaves you with a relative mess of external cables.

... have you considered simply drilling a hole?

i might just sell the shithead on letgo and buy your pic, kinda mad i wasted money on it because i cant find a server rack that fits it along with space for other things i need

What's the recommended solution for running a small ssd cache to speed up a bunch of bigger HDDs on linux nowadays?

Do I need to be extra careful when using it together with LUKS?

>I have always worked with hardware raid and never had problem
The problem starts once you have a problem. I've seen one shitty HW RAID array self-destruct an array due to an intermittent failure, and another that couldn't even be convinced to bring the array back online from what likely were just a few bits of inconsistency

The only HW RAID I'd trust are 3ware cards, but they just cost more than they're worth at this point.

> do you suggest to give software raid a try?
Yes, absolutely. Mdadm RAID is very well-tested and performs well, has essentially all management functions you can get with RAID including RAID level migrations & the load it puts on modern CPU is nothing particularly noteworthy.

Yea, might be the way to go. Or a full new server case, with a decent one migrating the hardware probably doesn't take longer than 1.5 hours.

I recall lvmcache or bcache[fs] were something to look at.

> Bought this today (are the same)
> One will be a mirror of the other
> Backup purpose, connected once every two/four weeks

> Questions:
1) Reliable?
2) How to get sync?
3) Encryption (linux) method?
Thanks.

Attached: IMG_20180829_215944_1.jpg (1280x720, 213K)

>1) Reliable?
About average, probably. No, nobody really publishes good data.
> 2) How to get sync?
Mdadm or LVM2 RAID1, probably.

Unless you do NOT want it to sync immediately because it's supposed to protect you against accidental deletes, then I'd suggest borgbackup on a systemd timer / fcron or something.

> 3) Encryption (linux) method?
Usually LUKS. Probably with a pretty standard configuration if you just want the usual encryption for privacy / easy disposal of defective drive reasons.

Thank you
Currently using kde partitioner, easy setup single encrypted partition

ZFS, the same as the solution for everything else.

nah btrfs is where its at

Hi y'all, I want to repurpose my 5yo PC into a server. I installed Ubuntu and installed lamp following a very barebones tutorial. My current goal is to get my server open outside my network. Any advice?

I think that's just fine. Pretty sure kde partitioner creates entirely standard partitions with LVM2 and LUKS if you ask for it.

Which will mean you can use them under any distro with equally standard tools [that do not have to be kde partitioner itself] and even from various other OS' if you care enough.

> My current goal is to get my server open outside my network. Any advice?
Usually mostly related to port forwarding on your internet facing router if you're like most and still doing IPv4.

Yup, currently moving data to new disk. Doing this this night and tomorrow will try some kind of automatic sync with second hd to have backup up to date.
Feels good.
Only issue is that Bios say it is a 850gb disk, but seems it is only informational, Linux detect 2.7Tb anyway

just bought a 2-nic mini itx board for a router.

pfsense or ubuntu server?

Fedora is what I'd prefer - but you know, whatever you like.

I've got a 970 laying around, is there anything cool I can use it for (aside from mining) on a home server?

Sucks to make changes.

If you want to learn how to configure every network service and iptables and ip then ubuntu. If you want something to just werk pfsense. I've recently switched to pfsense after years of ubuntu as a firewall router because iptables is a lot of pain and i know how shit works now.

Video encoding?

draw.io

Pencil and paper?

what's their use then ? Honest question here user

not him, but how can the SAS controller cards be so cheap on AliExpress compared to my country?

AliExpress = 10 bucks for SAS controller card with 2 SAS ports

Sweden = 100 bucks for SAS controller card with 2 SAS ports

most likely used in servers and now being sold off for cheap

yEd

>how to sync
rsync or RAID. Raid for redundancy and drive-failure tollerance, rsync for actual backup. Choose which is more important to you!

Backup, is data that will not be online always.
Any GUI for rsync that can sync from A to B disk?

Genital ?

Anything you can imagine. Code repo, dropbox replacement, game servers for your friends/family, personal website, tuned up router, network-wide adblocker, smarthome hub, etc etc etc. Maybe you took a wrong turn at Albafucky there user...

Why use a GUI? You can completely automate full-system backup with a single command in a cron.

rsync -aAXv --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found"} / /mnt/backupdrive

Forgot to mention, if you want to use that command and have it properly sync, you need to add --delete-before as an argument, otherwise it retains files that are actually deleted from the source path.

I have an old HP tower that im repurposing to use 3 2tb drives in raidz on debian with zfs, will 8gb of ram be enough for this or would i be better off just using ext4? also should i be ok with using a usb stick for the os or should i be looking at using a smaller size hdd?

I did try to portworward in my modem settings but it didn't just work. I searched online and got hints about editing the info tables and/or installing webmin.
I'm still researching what that is but I want to make sure I'm on the right track. Thanks!

Attached: portforward.jpg (1945x823, 262K)

Because will not be automated, only connected few times every month, archiving purpose. One drive will be the mirror of the other.
Took almost 8 hours to copy 1.7Tb, seems first sync will be at night again.

Attached: _24.jpg (306x165, 6K)

The fields on the external IP/ports were supposed to be left as 0.0.0.0. I don't know why but that seemed to fix my issue.

Best distro to run on a raspberry if I just wanna let it run some crawler scripts and a minor sync server?

Attached: 1507991192167.jpg (2335x2507, 685K)

0.0.0.0 means "all"
also
>exporting mysql port to the world
Enjoy your slave bot server for hackers c&c

Attached: 1487416761461.jpg (413x438, 92K)

raspbian minimal image

The usb will work, but if costs allow it, an SSD works better for use cases like yours

I have some spare cheap 120gb ssd that i can use, what would i need the ssd for compared to just using a usb or even a 2.5 hdd?

The OS you're running. Having a fast OS will definitely benefit a fileserver.
And depending on OS, you can also use the SSD as cache for your most accessed files.

>Enjoy your slave bot server for hackers c&c

I'm very new to this, if you would explain what you meant would be definitely appreciated. How would "hackers" know my IP? And what's c&c?

Someone can scan port from 0 to 99999999, from ip 0.0.0.0 to ffffffffffffffffff and eventually find an open mysql port in your ip, then can attack your login or exploit it with hack.
Once hacked, obviously he/she will not take you down, but keep your machine (bot) controlled from a central place (Command and Control server) where, with others machines, can do bigger attacks, like ddos.
And don't worry bobby, nobody born with knowledge, just ask.

Pic related, it's you with others bots

Attached: 00026388.jpg (970x594, 139K)

>16-bit integer
>Port 99999999

Is there any reason to move from Windows if all I want to do is make some samba and upnp shares?

m$ visio botnet

>DL140 G3's
>Are they shit

Can you not see that for yourself?

I like the rosewill cases, accepts atx shit so youcan use off the shelf stuff.

inspiration for what, to clean your house?

>l-lonis showed me that gcloud is best
>only $600

you can upload unlimited to backblaze for $5 a month, faggot

>any advice?

Isolate it from the rest of your network. VLAN/Isolated network/Hardware isolation/perimeter

>open to everyone on the planet
>MySQL

Attached: 1190577026614.jpg (800x602, 44K)

It's not advisable to have apps like MySql open to the internet. they have a lot of vulnerabilities and require a semi-privileged account.

Consider buying a VPS on aruba.it for $1 and play around with stuff on there. At least that way if your server gets infested it won't affect your personal computers.

Stay safe user

what's a good managed switch with PoE?

unifi have some good $/perf managed switches