What is the deal with Chromebooks? Why are there so many under $200. Are they only good for surfing the web?

What is the deal with Chromebooks? Why are there so many under $200. Are they only good for surfing the web?

Attached: chromebook-example.png (634x516, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/ChromeOS
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Small storage, small computer, small price. Slam GalliumOS on there and you're good to go for college.

I do C++ on mine

Attached: IMG_20180620_111826.jpg (4032x3024, 1000K)

I've had an Acer C720 now for probably about 3 years, and I use it as a dumb little shit so I can SSH into my school servers and do everything I need.

As previous poster mentioned, GalliumOS is good too, great out of box support for chromebook weirdness.

When Chromebooks first launched they were kind of pricey for what they offered but now that google has guaranteed market share, prices started coming down.

Realistically it's because Google saw that their ChromeOS wasn't going to overtake Microsoft in the professional sectors. So they began looking at kids in Elementary, middle, and high schools. Add in the fact that Google offers an entire office suite for free AND free Google Drive storage when you buy the chromebook. Everyone and their mother uses Chromebooks by me now in regards to schools and offices. Hell they even make a software (name is slipping my name at the moment) for the IT/network admin to oversee all the Chromebooks. Since ChromeOS is a fork of Gentoo, security is great.

I bought my little sister a Chromebook for Christmas and my parents a Chromebox as their main PC. WAY better than windows machines for basic use or you can do as said and install GalliumOS (just make sure your model is properly supported). I personally own pic related. Toshiba CB2 2015 model. Bought it for $280 at launch and I extensively use ChromeOS.

Attached: IMG_0768.jpg (1920x1280, 340K)

Are there any ARM Chromebooks out there anymore? I have one but it's several years old and now that I look I only see Intel garbage.

Download Termux on the app store, install nano editor on Termux and you have the best coding machine for $150

none that are really worth it unless you consider the bottom tier Samsung models with Exynos chips in them. I occasionally see Rock Chip models pop up but they're truly bargain bin tier. Sincerely hoping to see Google use AMD chips. I mean hell AMD already made their 35w R7-2700U. I'd pay good money for a 15w Ryzen based APU model chromebook.

hot damn, it even has a pen

Attached: Chromebook-Plus-5-New.jpg (800x600, 68K)

Would that raise the price? Chromebooks should be on the cheaper side
May also be unnecessarily powerful for its use cases

Proton on ChromeOS when

yes and no. It depends on how much AMD charges. For instance I'd be willing to pay $500 for a good Chromebook. Put a $250 Chromebook and a $250 Windows laptop side by side and you'll see from looks alone the build quality on the Chromebook is bar none for their price range. For instance my 2015 Toshiba CB2
>13.3" 1080p IPS panel
>Backlit keyboard
>4GB DDR3
>16GB M.2 SATA Based SSD (replaceable)
>3 cell battery

cost me $280. Nothing windows based even comes close to that. As far as use cases, Google already made Android playstore app compatibility standard for ChromeOS. I can use the Android Photoshop/Lightroom/Premiere program suites as well as games. A little extra oomph in the CPU department wouldn't go wrong.

Are chromebooks required to ship without a bios?

ChromeOS is derivative of what, any previous GNU/Linux distro?

Gentoo actually.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/ChromeOS

Do any of you had experice with other surface devices.
pros and cons?

Attached: Surface-Go.jpg (1068x580, 153K)

The surface is stupid for all it's attempted purposes.
>Too powerful for stuff you'd do on a tablet
>Windows makes for a terrible touch OS
>Too weak/not enough thermal capability to do any real work on it
>Way expensive
>Keyboard is shit for prolonged typing compared to even a half way decent laptop
>Keyboard is also made of material that instantly starts degrading if you actively use the keyboard often

If surfaces were cheaper I'd potentially see the appeal, but as it is, they're over priced niche products with no clear use case.

cons
Windows
Surface
Expensive
Stupid

I'd like one of these, kind of the Casio F-91W or Nokia 3310 of laptops, shoot my cum over it's keys and break the screen with my ass, throw it in the trash and pay a slave wage to some chinese children for a new one.
Which one would suit these purposes the most efficiently?

I install Debian with some drivers provided by the GalliumOS reddit. Works like a charm for school.

I've been using an Acer CB-11 with GalliumOS and i3. For writing, shitposting, anime, emulators it's perfect. Only gripe is the storage space but an SD card is good enough for general storage. Just a bitch installing some programs if you don't move /home/ to the SD card.

ironic

high hardware failure rate, not recommended

I only use mine for art. My $150 Acer Windows laptop is more stable despite having a much slower CPU and RAM.
It's so fucking stupid how Microsoft makes a device for their own OS and it's a buggy piece of shit. I have zero issues with my Acer from the get go.

are you joking? on september 11th google is dropping out chromeos70 and every supported chromebook will get linux terminal which means you can install every single app that is on linux without even being in developer mode. if you think chromebooks are unusable you're retard

>lainchan sticker
cringe

Not him but it's obviously to coverup the giant "CHROME" logo in the corner

make sure to check the CPU before you buy it. some of them you can easily format, some you need to open them and remove a screw/jumper to "unlock", and others belong in a landfill.

I imagine google is pushing manufacturers to unload all their stock for the upcoming release of fuschia

Currently just using crouton, should I wipe the fucker and install the whole shebang?

can,t wait fo rthis

shebang? is that the feminist version of crunchbang?