How do we make Linux THE Desktop OS?

How to we make linux finally become viable in the Desktop market? How do we remove the user-unfriendly stigma and make it an option normies will desire?

Attached: papirus-kde-4.jpg (1600x900, 151K)

Install it by default on as many machines as possible, and get it in schools as the main OS.

>Get it in schools as the main OS
This is what's needed. People use Windows because it is the only thing they know and have used.

Actually make it functional without having to debug millions of tiny problems continuously.

Make a new distro aimed at people coming from Windows

Probably we will see open source Windows sooner than any Linux distro which does not look like garbage and can run anything without installing trillions of packages.

Theres unironically a thread now with someone asking, why they cant disable a webcam with a couple of mouseclicks on Linux. 60 odd replies later, still arguing about the most efficient termonal command to do this. Normies, as in actual UV absorbing humans, CGAF about terminal commands, or why they have to run them as usdo, or similar BS. They just saw somewhere Zuck saying, disabling your webcam is a good idea. And if they cant do it with a few clicks? they'll stick with an OS where they can.

ZorinOS, Kubuntu

meme distros

>official Ubuntu derivative is a meme OS
>shifting goalposts

making the interface design more appealing wouldn't hurt for one.

is a unified an modern look really too much to ask from linux distros?

We need a batter logo

add consistent gui toggles for everything
or teach how to use linux in school

Remove the console from linux and work on it until it's completely usable.

give that man a coconut.
this, srsly

This. People are afraid of a CLI. Don't make them google stuff and compile programs.

>they'll stick with an OS where they can
>OS says "sure bro, you're webcam is totally disabled now! :^)"

You can do it by not recommending that KDE shit to new users, and recommend GNOME instead. GNOME is the only one that does usability testing, as evidenced by the very polished, user-friendly design.

>GNOME
>KDE
Xfce is simple, straightforward, and looks absolutely fine

Looks like something like from the 90s.

And there's absolutely fuck all wrong with that. Hell, Windows looked a lot better in the 90s than it does now.

>Make Linux mainstream
>Make Linux more attractive for viruses and co.
What a great idea

If Adobe CC was ported to Linux I would be able to fully switch.

Fuck this "Year of the Linux Desktop" shit. Linux is doing just fine on its own, stop trying to fuck up a good thing by trying to make it normie-friendly... It's not a problem with the operating system, it's a problem with who you're trying to market it to. If people aren't willing to learn new things, they're better off sticking with Windows or Mac.

what advantages does it give us to make linux viable in the desktop market?

Stop trying to get normies to use linux

Attached: jXI5V5q.jpg (1280x1079, 508K)

You don't. Popularity will accelerate corruption, not to say that MS isn't already meddling with Linux.

this is just another reason why we need a good UX and GUI. How will we free the world if we don't make it accessible like MAC or DOS?

>Make Linux mainstream
>Free software becomes more viable thus causing a paradigm shift in the industry

>viruses can't work unless you explicitly give them root privileges
>script kiddies use windows

Instead of lowering the bar, people should step the fuck up. If you yield even an inch they will take a mile. There's a difference between better and easier to use.
I hope so, but I'm thinking some will fight back, and those usually have money. One of the reasons why I believe Nvidia drivers aren't open source is because the public isn't ready for what's in the source code. Anti-privacy fags together with the ad industry won't take this kindly either.

KDE is better but GNOME is good for normies because it's easy

god KDE is beautiful

>coworker tells me he hates using linux because it never "just werks".
>this man is paid to write software

It only gets easier and easier every year.

Never heard of privilege escalation.

But it looks a lot like Windows 8, lmao

Malware is not common with GNU/Linux for more reasons than people simply not using it.

Linux "just werks" more than Windows these days, because you don't need to fuck about disabling ads and telemetry after installing it and again after every update.

>I hope so, but I'm thinking some will fight back, and those usually have money.
my hope is that the free market wil choose the OS that screws over the customer less. Since the F(L)OSS philosophy is all about profiting in a fair way WITH ,rather than FROM the user, the hope is that by making the thing more sell-able, that normies will naturally pick the better deal of OS's and switch to Linux thus spreading the news until a sizable population is using it.
Now i have some of my own concerns with this idea, that being the "i dont give a fuck" attitude of normies to the FOSS philosophy. One of two things will happen if Linux becomes mainstream.
Either:
It will be accepted and as normies spread the OS & Philosphy, that they will start standing up for their User-rights and demand fairer exchanges between company and end-user, thus leading to a paradigm shift in the industry and a freer world overall.
OR:
Normies will pick it up, become greedy and needy, disregard the philosophy and maybe even invite government involvement, and the community, philosophy, and everything else will be utterly fucked over for the next decade.
Its a pretty risky deal, i must say. Its almost Faustian. The hope is there though, its a question of whether its worth the risk.

>f you yield even an inch they will take a mile.
i worry about that sometimes

>There's a difference between better and easier to use.
saving this

Why should I want this?

It's already completely viable as a desktop OS in all regards except for gayms. When someone makes a windos emulation/virtual machine infrastructure that actually works and is practical, then most young people will switch to Linux at least. Before that, windos will still be king.

Attached: 698b15d171786adf63cac7faaf494ea5aa5444f0064558c20853a0873fae5584.jpg (680x680, 74K)

>One of the reasons why I believe Nvidia drivers aren't open source is because the public isn't ready for what's in the source code.
CIA niggers?

only pedophiles and terrorists use gnu/linux

John has a nice job and life - he doesn't want to be seen as an incel creep or a hazard to national security because of his "OS" ( john doesn't even know what the fuck an "OS" is btw) - that's why John uses a sane people OS like Windows 10 or Mac OSX - John is 95% of people.

Attached: 1527173980484.jpg (750x738, 105K)

ideally that emulator is sand-boxed so that viruses, botnet, and telemetry don't happen too much.

>he doesn't want to be seen as an incel creep or a hazard to national security
and that is why john works a 9-5 with shit pay every day and never gets anywhere with life.
Because john is a bitch.

Literally no one thinks like that. In reality John hasn't heard about linux at all.

I think virtual machines will be the ticket. Some unified system that sets up a virtual machine, handles all the gpu and audio piping in a way that just werks, and then emulates windos inside it, again in a way that werks (not wine.) Then you got the windos killer.

Why not?

>a sane people OS like Windows 10
I don't think it's possible to be sane and to use Windows 10 for any significant length of time.

Make it compatible with software used in multiple workplaces like hospitals, banks, etc.

FreeDOS exists and Windows is a DOS-based system, so it may not be that big a stretch if we use kvm+qemu emulation technologies specifically.

Bonus points:
- Great UX/UI Games Library Navigator/Manager
- A single folder in the LFS' User Directory dedicated to games (like the Music folder).
Basically Steam but emulation.

I'm sure all the components already exist, someone just needs to put it all together. It would have to be completely moron friendly, though. A complete system that werks, with a one click deploy.

Normal people don't give a fuck about this, it's a problem for us just because we're autistic, remember?

>windows is a DOS-based system
Not since Windows 2000. Backwards compatibility exists but it's all NT kernel from 2k forward.

Actually I meet more and more normalfags that are uneasy about this. Especially young normalfags. But, muh gayms.

>CIA niggers?
Among other things. I was thinking more along the lines of cheats to get better performance.
I find your second scenario more likely. People will use Linux if they "have" to (the same way they use Windows today), and very few would stand up for both the FLOSS philosophy and their right to privacy. You can see this today, where people find it funny that their nudes are leaked. Most of them just go with the flow and indeed don't give a single fuck. This is why I believe the Linux community should firmly stand their ground, so that in the event of Linux's widespread adoption people can see that things have changed, like a culture shock of sorts. Making compromises at such early stages makes for a brittle system, IMO. With more users, more money will influence the OSs path forward, and more jobs will be created to help build that path. I don't want the job descriptions to be "moar telemetry" "ads in the start menu".

The things you loonix creeps dislike about windows are things only a knowledgeable niche would dislike, the majority of people are not interested in computers or tech the way you are - they really don't care and that bloated windows shit is what they find normal - if you want to bring them over to loonix they will transform loonix in what you hate.

If you meet a mechanic or someone from a specific area - they probably don't know shit about your spend-entire-day-in-front-of-computer business, but they can tell you why your car or whatever is also bloated and that you don't even know how it works and that you perform shit maintenance on it, they also know the name of the fucking pieces and how it all fits together and you don't, get the point?

Attached: nanoinjector.jpg (798x600, 259K)

>I was thinking more along the lines of cheats to get better performance.
How does this actually work? You mean like they come off as having better performance than they actually do, or that they somehow cheat to give you better performance? If it's the latter, why would anyone care as long as performance is increased? Personally I suspect they don't want anyone to see all their CIA nigger botnet stuff.

They say they care because it's a meme, if you try to talk about it, it's easily noticeable, I work retail and 90% of these people are full of shit

I'd say various workarounds for game engines and whatnot that are sabotaged to run slower on other hardware. Not by much though, you mustn't make it obvious. There are also a lot of claims that Nvidia gimps older cards with newer drivers. The patches that make their hardware worth with FreeSync, physix etc.
Can you tell us an anecdote?

True. But if they had a decent lower surveillance alternative where the perceived value was equal, they'd go for it. It's just that that doesn't exist.

That makes sense actually. I'm so focused on the CIA niggers I often forget the basic bitch corporate greed niggers and the bullshit they're up to.

Get inside microsoft, be a good boy until you're a lead designer or something, then you start to do shit to wreck windows from inside like replacing the .exes for interpreted crap or making the OS being as annoying as possible with automatic unblockable updates, ads.. and from time to time you release a update that bricks a lot of systems.
You keep doing that until the normies have no choice.

CentOS + KDE already solved that problem.

>that are uneasy about this
Believe it or not normies want user freedom (to own their PC rather than just leasing it from their ever-watching overlords), but they want it in a way that is accessible to their normie brains since they don't have the time to spend ricing and just want to sit down and USE the damn thing.

If its too hard to get freedom, then nothing short of paranoia or autism will convince them to switch.

If there is an easy-to-use privacy-respecting distro, you can bet it will sell like hotcakes.
Every day, i see more and more normies who are aware of the NSA's watch programs, and barely trust their own distro. They yearn for an alternative but for many its too hard to switch. Some i've met have approached me and offered me to pay them to install Linux as an alternative after hearing my preaching.

To use 's example. Would you switch to a faster car it required technical know-how of how the car works, or would you buy the cheaper shittier model just because it works and you don't need to repair it every other mile or so?
We expect a car to work from the word Go and then keep working AT LEAST until the warranty ends. In the same way normies (who aren't computer wizards like us) want a computer that 'just werks' and keeps on 'werking' for at least 4 years. They don't want to have to deal with the CLI because it gives them anxiety, and when they force themselves to use it they feel lost and confused. Its easier to just use windows even if they know windows is shittier overall.

The time is ripe, Linux just needs to be user-friendly and people will naturally migrate to the hot new ferrari on the block (with a bit of advertising of course).

This very much. Linux can be that alternative, we just need to make it accessible.

If they had a decent free and popular alternative, they'd flock to it, in the end it's all about what most people around them use

Why do package managers exist? Why can't I just download the program and run it like Windows? I don't like the centralization.

Or just release the source code for Windows APIs. Windows dies in less than a day.

Better quality gnome 3 GTK themes and extensions, more projects like Pop!_OS to create a more polished Ubuntu derivative, more polished GTK apps to minimize the need for using the terminal, improvements to the KDE Connect /GS Connect framework that integrates android into the desktop natively

It may indeed be wiser to keep things as they are. HOWEVER, I believe that though normies don't care about the technicalities of linux, they may still care about being free from corporate enslavement (or not, i dunno).
Its mostly a hope, we'll never know unless we try though. And things may not be so simple as 2 possible outcomes.

>Why can't I just download the program and run it like Windows?
Why can't you?

Security related?
>be me
>be shilling hard on Intel security flaws memes
>client notices and starts small talk about Intel being ruined
>immediately buys an i5
>asks about the subject of some minutes ago
>"there's no other option user"

Non related?
>be me
>fucker calls because he can't activate a cracked copy of PS
>since I've got nothing better to do, and using the phone seems like I'm working, why not help?
>asks what's the problem and what he's seeing
>easiest crack ever, in simple 5 clicks it should be done
>30 minutes later and nothing yet
>he finally explains how he didn't even had installed Photoshop because he was sure it wouldn't work
>it happened 5 hours ago

here's a roadmap if the distro exists:
polish Distro -> advertise it by getting e-celebs to start using it -> normies follow the trend -> "everyone is using it" -> everyone starts using it

-Have available Linux distros that are easy to use for people migrating from Windows (these already exist)
-Convince the entire software industry to write all their software and games to be able to run in Linux. This means every Adobe product and every Steam game. No appeal in Linux if I can't do the shit I want. Most free Linux alternatives to huge proprietary programs are absolute garbage.
-Appeal more to the middle ground. Right now Linux is good for either super casual users like your grandma or deep on-the-spectrum programmers. It's unappealing to anyone inbetween these extremes.
-Pray later versions of Windows really pisses off most of its users that they have a real motivation to leave.

The distro doesn't exist because before linux can be an option to normalfags, the whole gaym question needs to be fixed.

The problem is getting e-celebs that matters to normies to do it, free software, can't pay people without money

Sometimes you can but a lot of the time whatever website exists for the program doesn't offer download. Not really an issue fundamental to linux but it's still annoying.

>"there's no other option user"
1. did you let them know about AMD?
2. are the computers your selling using AMD more or Intel more?

Yeah I don't see it being any better on other platforms if this is your gripe, so I guess this is more of a cultural problem than a OS related one.

Because Then normies will ruin linux like they ruin everything else that was once obscure then gets bandwagon popularity. Better to let sheep normfags stick with crapple and winblows and leave linux to the big boys

Attached: 485 (1).png (852x944, 70K)

1. Yes, I did, but in my country (Brazil) people usually dislikes AMD, they say it gets too hot, if you try to explain that Ryzen solved this, they just say Intel is better, no arguments at all
2. I work mostly with Macs, so Intel

why you guys want to invite normies to the fun is beyond me
let them stay on their brainlet 2-click OSs and get datamined by intelligence agencies the world over
they ruin everything they touch

Hit the nail on the head friend

>1. Yes, I did, but in my country (Brazil) people usually dislikes AMD, they say it gets too hot, if you try to explain that Ryzen solved this, they just say Intel is better, no arguments at all
So then they fell for the advertising campaign. Can't really fault normies for doing what is hardwired into them. What would be better is a practical work-around, like demo-ing an AMD .vs. Intel performance and heat example. Normies respond best to practical examples, not som much to word of mouth (unless its a cultural thing, or an advertisement thing).

>2. I work mostly with Macs, so Intel
So they were right when they said there was "no other choice"? Mere exposure effect + other psychological phenomena i forgot the name of = a belief that since the majority of what they are seeing has this Intel thing, then it must be either (a) good, (b) popular, or (c) both

I want them to like what i like tho.

>gnu/linux becomes the majority
>companies can no longer excuse not supporting it because of "muh market share"
>kernel devs say "give us source drivers or fuck off"
>users demand that devices support gnu/linux because they want familiarity
>can now run gnu/linux with 100% hardware support on all sorts of devices. laptops, tablets, netbooks, smartphones

>I want them to like what i like tho.
They don't like Windows either. It's just a means to an end. As long as it's tolerable, the masses couldn't care less. This is why succumbing to the masses is all the more tragic - you did it for naught.

If normfags start getting an interest in linux then all the distros will be clamoring to appeal to them. Linux will stop being a platform that gives you power and will become a walled garden
>but its open source and free
Not for long. All the linux foundations will be bought out or destroyed by corporate interests if too much of the market share wants linux. Did you know in mac os high sierra they got rid of ftp and telnet clients. You literally have to use git and homebrew to install a the base fucking inet utilities that were stripped. As soon as normies get involved everything goes to shit. Thats why we live in a society of constant survailence and censorship. Back in the day when the internet was just a handful of autists, nobody cared.
Mark my words. Normies will ruin linux just like they ruined the internet

>Normies will ruin linux just like they ruined the internet
>implying they haven't already

Attached: poett poett.jpg (2304x2304, 721K)

then we move to bsd or hurd

Touche

Attached: ubuntu-search.png (908x336, 73K)

Pretty much. We might all be on bsd when the linuxpocalypse finally comes

1. Mostly, Intel dominates our market since ever, I have friends who probably doesn't know AMD exists, so it's kinda hard to change their minds. We assemble the machines on the spot, so it's kinda impossible to demo a AMD machine and show how well it goes, even because selling Intel is better for our profits, my boss would be totally against this...

2. Not in this specific case, the guy was building a PC to study and do some basic CAD work, but yes, I agree, even the fact we have usually only people looking for Macs is enough to make people feel attracted to them, it's common to sell someone a MacBook even with everyone on the staff saying it won't be useful for his needs, just because every other client is praising it

If Linux isn't gaining momentum there wouldn't be paid shills shitting on it 24/7

>I have friends who probably doesn't know AMD exists, so it's kinda hard to change their minds
you could tell them that AMD exists

>we have usually only people looking for Macs
aren't macs kinda expensive compared to other computers?

Well, Valve is helping a lot with that recently via Proton and Steamplay. Honestly, we just need to stop being so autistic about "muh closed source botnet" and help people with whatever software they want to use on it. We can always go full autism mode on our own systems without scaring the normies away by yelling at them about it.

>hoinestly
*crack*
*sip*

>If Linux weren't gaining momentum there wouldn't be paid shills shitting on it 24/7
FTFY. The subjunctive is appropriate for the above sentence.

Here's the thing: Linux isn't one giant monolithic system. You CAN'T ruin it. Even now there's non systemD distros that work great. Granted, you can't really effectively run Gnome on them, but who really wants to do that?

I wanna run Xfce because I can't be bothered learning how to be productive using a tiling wm

T H I S

Implement file picker standards

Attached: Filepicker.png (742x828, 151K)