/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Summer Heat White Heat Edition

Attached: lg_7aa3d4138e98b246929f414de9261920.jpg (1000x1000, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

coincidentspeaker.com/dynamite-loudspeaker.html
thevintageknob.org/sansui-AU-919.html
usaudiomart.com/details/649437723-dynaudio-emit-m10/
ebay.com/itm/Dynaudio-Emit-M10-Speakers-Satin-Black-Audioquest-Dragonfly-DAC/323415349904
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Old Thread

Attached: tips le fedora.jpg (320x240, 19K)

new wave

Attached: 220px-Oingo_Boingo-Only_a_Lad.jpg (220x220, 22K)

better than white or black finishes

Attached: quantum-803-0-magnat.jpg (1184x1000, 181K)

what's the point of buying a nice audio setup when all you listen to are anime soundtracks and Nickelback?

Hooked this guy back into the setup. Love this little unit. I've been using it for years for so many things. Right now it's just taking optical in from xbox, and sending L/R into my mixer. The pres are shit, but so many outs

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 7.05.07 PM.png (866x651, 936K)

>dicking around with roku on my tv to play with my speakers
this thing sure has a lot of problems

Pretty much all Deezloader .flacs I have downloaded are like 21 mb.
I remember when downloading from say rutracker albums they varied like 20-50.
Why is this?

music from japan be it anime or acoustic stuff is masterfully crafted in comparison to western pop scene

>music from japan be it anime or acoustic stuff is masterfully crafted in comparison to western pop scene
that is only partially true. Music from Japan is tremendous (see pic), but listening to Anime OSTs is basically like listening to the Sesame Street theme song.

Attached: MI0004076706.jpg (400x416, 15K)

stream it through an oppo media player/bluray player

What speakers would you guys get for $2000?

18 pairs of these bad boys

Attached: 19830_pictures_product_visual_1.png (299x181, 54K)

Attached: Dynaudio Contour S 1.4.jpg (2689x3292, 2.06M)

>order is accepted, packed, shipped and flown to Australia in 12 hours from HK (9 hour flight)
>processed through to auspost
>sits in the same facility for 2 days already

Attached: 4165BC3284D244B0A5B5FCB0BA141527.jpg (970x545, 50K)

I use a raspberry pi3 with OSMC, hificast on my phone to send music to it works perfectly.

best speaker you can buy for $2300
coincidentspeaker.com/dynamite-loudspeaker.html

Attached: Dynamite-LdSpkr-1.png (215x659, 197K)

Yeah I'm just going to build an HTPC instead.
>streaming a channel, such as the local news, you cannot rewind or pause and fast forward
>streaming off your computer over the network, you cannot rewind or fast forward
>can only rewind or fast forward if playing through a flash drive
>does not support Dolby DTS-HD, making watching rips via USB hit or miss
>supports NTFS but not exFAT
It at least streams music just fine on the local network, decoding .wav or .flac.

sup Iris

speaker noob here, JBL HLS 620 or S312 any good for $250?

and what should I power them with? just look on CL for any old receiver I can afford that works and has over 50 watts? or buy something new? my room is pretty small, about 9x12 feet, and I usually listen at lower volume levels.

Attached: 1400907081266.jpg (264x191, 10K)

>tfw was working on getting a mint condition Sony GX909ES
>tfw got out bid at the last second

fuck me, someone tell me i dodged a bullet to make me feel better. (currently have a rotel rx-604)

Attached: 23e3cd_6018610.jpg (1137x1012, 93K)

Those are some nice looking braeburns

What's the appeal of sound bars? I don't get it.

Attached: 30241215.jpg (670x472, 46K)

space saving all in one solution

This. They fit nicely on short tv cabinets or even on the wall. Isn't it fucking obvious?

I feel like people in modern times invent their own non-existent space constraints to justify nonsensical purchases. same thing with SFF PC cases. 99.99999% of people who buy soundbars have more than enough space for actual speakers, just like SFF people have room for real cases. they just want to buy a sound bar because it's simple. people will trade convenience for quality at every turn. I guess for SFF you can make the LAN argument, but lets be real, none of those people go to real lans or actually travel and game. if portability where that important they would just buy a laptop.

>Sony GX909ES
the chasis is very nice, almost like an SAE Two, but the internal components are average

Attached: sony-str-gx909es-class-hi-receiver_1_6524c6e4bf7e608dcd1a4393c1fe291e.jpg (400x330, 55K)

i've got an old Yamaha V1400 reciever. if i were to buy a pair of really nice passive speakers for it, how hard would the reciever bottle neck them? i dont know shit about this which is why im asking

Attached: 159941897_RX-V1400.jpg (500x232, 21K)

WAF

This looking any better than last time? Moved them in loads and slightly toed them out. Maybe the picture looks deceiving, but if I toe them out anymore the tweeters are aimed way past my ears and the ports get too close to the wall. In fact I can see the sides of the monitors right now from my listening position and as far as I know, you only want to see the face of the speaker, that's why I had them toed in so much last time. I'm not even sure if they sound any better like this compared to when they were much wider with more breathing space, maybe the vocals are louder/more direct but I'm not sure if they sound as clean now. I'd appreciate more opinions on this.

Attached: IMG_20180830_103143.jpg (4160x3120, 2.57M)

stereo triangle looks about right that way
if you go significantly further out than an equilateral triangle then stuff in the phantom center like vocals tends to be weak and stuff to the sides sticks to the speakers more. "correct" imaging is +/-30°, but you do you for your enjoyment.
I wouldn't worry about a degree more or less toe in with that waveguides, fiddling with toe in is only really critical with some non waveguided designs that shoot light ray treble which needs to be "aimed"

you make it sound like listening to the sesame street them song and liking it being a bad thing to do

Anyway you slice it you're cucked if you have to keep your speakers that close to the wall. You need to be the right distance away from the speakers, and the speakers also need to be physically away from the wall to get that sort of all enveloping sound that pretty much any speaker is capable of. You're going to get a really wide soundstage, better depth, focus and clarity, better channel separation and imaging.

>need to be physically away from the wall to get that sort of all enveloping sound that pretty much any speaker is capable of
explain yourself

ok i feel a bit better, thank you

also im the guy who owns that sae two r3c, so i guess it wouldn't be a major upgrade.

most likely not at all. however checking at the spec sheet it seems to only support 8ohm speakers.

Is there any portable setup you guys recommend?
no sub is preferred, it's ok if it's need dsp correction.

>can see the sides of the monitors right now from my listening position and as far as I know, you only want to see the face of the speaker,
The closer you are to a speaker, the less that is true. You want to aim them at your ears not your eyes. Sitting 11ft away that's basically the same thing, but on a desk it isn't.

Don't overthink it. Play with the toe-in and see what sounds best to you. What you have there looks about right.

Treating behind the speakers would help too. You have a clean desk so I don't want to mess that up but you can do some small GIK panels cleanly mounted on the walls picture frame style.

I have €150 to spend. Recommend me a speaker set.

Attached: 1535101988135.jpg (1024x1004, 60K)

>mfw waiting for the new jbl speakers to ship

Attached: 1526474258126.png (808x805, 708K)

What's the application?

If you play a mono track, is the illusion that sound is coming from between the speakers strong? Or do you just hear two sources firing at you?

Attached: postadsuk.com-4-vintage-technics-sb-40-bookshelf-speakers-fullrange-drivers-east-sussex.jpg (1024x668, 138K)

Attached: Revel-Concerta2-F36.jpg (680x900, 56K)

>plex requires an account
I'm just trying to test streaming on my fucking local network, why the fuck do I need account?

Attached: 1513231122296.gif (324x317, 1.89M)

something from Dali if you listen to audiophile recordings.

something from kef if you don't

Try Emby? Sure they nag you about their account too, but it does work without it.

Do you already have an amp/receiver? If not, would you be willing to buy one?
If the answer to either of those questions is yes, and you can go about €30 over that budget, I'd recommend the Mission LX-2.

How important are DACs? A lot of people on here call them a meme, but reviewers talk a lot about the effect they have on sound.
I have an SMSL Sanskrit 6. Would i notice much of a difference in sound quality, instrument separation and soundstage if i got a Cambridge Audio dacmagic plus or something else around that price range on files that aren't DSD?

>Would i notice much of a difference in sound quality, instrument separation and soundstage
no

This.

Attached: 510099.jpg (2160x3840, 2.48M)

DACs are better than what's on your motherboard.. Your Sanskrit probably won't have a difference compared to the Dacmagic Plus

active or passive.
Also what cuck country you from?

What is the T420 of stereo speakers?

Attached: 1535640698484.jpg (641x574, 47K)

matrix 802 s2

hey guys I inherited an old receiver with a metal faceplate

how do i clean it (the outside faceplate) safely?

Attached: 1147190-technics-sa-600-receiver[1].jpg (1100x825, 87K)

oh yeah? what about gundam osts

isopropyl alcohol will clean any dirt off, be careful with acetone. if there's any signs of smoke damage on the exterior (from cigarettes or cigars), remove the part if you can, and be careful when using a degreaser (i think that works on those stains, but I haven't tried it). on the interior, do your best to blow dust away with a dry cloth or with canned air/compressor. connect the receiver to speakers and an audio component and listen to music on it, try to see if any of the knobs make the sound scratchy. if they are, you can unplug the receiver and try spraying the pots for the knobs with deoxit, twisting the knobs to work it inside

will iso be safe on the plastic surrounds on the knobs?

I love my zensor 3!

it depends on the plastic, but you should be fine

better looks for some sansui

Attached: 29CB0623-C901-4E17-9B9E-75C14DCF1101.jpg (960x634, 131K)

thevintageknob.org/sansui-AU-919.html

Attached: 5DC860AD-BE2B-47D2-9921-924EB20574C3.jpg (800x712, 158K)

Is there some sort of rule of thumb on how much you should spend on new speakers to get noticeable improvements over your old ones?
Let's say my pair of speakers cost around 200 eurobucks, what's the next price range i should be looking at? 400-500?
I'm talking about an improvement in sound that you can notice without trying, not minor stuff you should concentrate on.

hey i have the opportunity to purchase a vector research vr 7000, for like $100 bucks. Cant be sure if it works. Is it worth it to take the risk on it, i heard this company is one the level of like a old school NAD, anyone know anything about the company.

every time you spend more you get improvements
there is no end

revel was making very good speakers in the past but those new models looks very poor
almost “ikea” quality

Attached: 6C683DED-E7B3-4DFA-8CA6-57FBA6B0F9B4.jpg (480x640, 202K)

basically the same thing as listening to the power rangers soundtrack. if you do it unironically, then you probably donate a portion of your paycheck to a female gamer's patreon

Yeah i understand that i just don't want to spend let's say 500 on a pair of speakers that I won't find obviously and convincingly better than my 200 ones.
I don't know what level of improvement I'd be looking at.
For example, my $200 speakers are 50% better than a $100 set of speakers (pulling numbers out of my ass here just for scale). Would a $400 pair be 50% better than my $200 speakers?

that's not how it works since you can almost always find stuff performing worse for more money
the most obvious changes come with size difference and therefore low extension
going from a bookshelf to a bigger 3 way speaker that's from the same line line but goes an octave lower than the smaller bookshelf speaker is much more obvious than going from a midrange bookshelf to a more expensive bookshelf speaker

wont those caps fail quicker when they are so close to the heatsinks

Well i guess the low end could be improved with a subwoofer, even though I'm not entirely sure it's the same thing. Am i not missing out on much when it comes to other stuff like mids, treble, separation, stereo imaging, clarity etc?

i think those are 85 degC rated caps and amp is class A/B so there is no too much heat

you might consider an upgrade to a quality toroidal a/b amp like the creek 5350se which is about 500 to 700 bucks

wharfedale 10.1

You have to consider what kinds of gear you're using. If your gear is midtier, especially the speakers, the difference in sound may not be noticeable, especially if you're running the files off your computer DAC

Better, but not necessarily audibly better. There's a few review of this kind on the internet. Differences only become significant when recording is being done or the speakers/set-up is very high-end.

good advice

don't look only at price, because there is a lively used market -- look at manufacturer, especially manufacturers that make their own drivers -- focal, dynaudio, raidho, ATC

>You have to consider what kinds of gear you're using. If your gear is midtier, especially the speakers, the difference in sound may not be noticeable, especially if you're running the files off your computer DAC
My set up is mid tier at best. My receiver cost me 150-200 used. I have an external USB DAC that can go to 32/192kHz.
I've been really interested in Dynaudio since i had the chance to see some in person. Are their entry level models like the Emit m10 good? Can't spend thousands on speakers.

what receiver?

Also has anyone seen that guy with that sweet pioneer cd transport player

Any Dynaudio is at the least very good, and the Emit 10 are "very very good" -- and if it turns out you hate them, they're easy to resell. They lose their value very slowly.

A problem with purchasing used Dynaudios is the drivers are valuable and some sellers swap out higher end drivers for lower end drivers, so you have to look carefully at the seller and the product when buying used.

I'm not recommending these sellers, just providing an idea of used-as-new prices:
usaudiomart.com/details/649437723-dynaudio-emit-m10/
ebay.com/itm/Dynaudio-Emit-M10-Speakers-Satin-Black-Audioquest-Dragonfly-DAC/323415349904

The Focus 110 is also very good, but harder to find - usually around $550-700 US.

Every Dynaudio "above" these models are audiophile tier and toward the best of the best.

Save for a while longer.

I guarantee you the Concerta2 speakers (minus the center channel) are easily some of the best affordable speakers out there.

so my tv speakers are defective, and i have a modern ish (has digital optical) a/v receiver lying around. What are some cheap, fairly small speakers i can use for general tv/movie/gaming trying to stay close to $50 for a pair

mb42x

SMSL SA50 + FiiO D3 + cables enough for Kef Q100?

thanks

yo i finally convinced my firend to get into the audio game

Can you guys help me out with a nice set of bookshelf for $100? Looking for passive, as im giving him one of my nice amps to use as a .

shit i didnt mean passive, i just meant unpowered.

owo whats this?

Attached: lOAsQTy.jpg (1536x2048, 1.01M)

SHOW

I just bought Polk Signature S15s for $130, a Polk PSW 108 for $99, and a Yamaha RX0V285 for $170. USD btw. How did I do for a budget of $500 or less? I know it's not amazing but for a computer/turntable setup I'm fairly happy with my purchase. The subwoofer could be better but for $99 I doubt that's possible. Also how do I make my turntable push more power? Do I get an amp that runs between the turntable and receiver? Sorry, not an audiophile and only really know about headphones and car audio.

Attached: potato-thoughts.jpg (257x257, 63K)

Wtf I swear I typed RX-V385. Should have proofread that shit. Sorry.

>im fairly happy with my purchase
shit dude, thats all that matters. i mean, im fairly happy with my purchase too, you really dont need recognition from any of anons here. trust me, all the vocal ones in this thread will just shitpost and talk crap if you've got anything remotely cool they're jealous of.

Doesn't look like that receiver has a phono pre. I'm assuming your TT has one built-in?

True. I guess I'm mainly trying to see any other recommendations before my return policy is up.

It's just an Audio Technica AT-LP60 but I'm pretty sure it does? I guess I can just DDG/Google it and find out.

It's supposed to have switchable pre. It should be set to Line if it isn't already. Turn down the volume first.

Holy shit do I feel retarded. That's so much better! Thanks a ton.

Woah woah woah hard to believe the 2 month wait is over

Attached: IMG_3541.jpg (4032x3024, 2.13M)

You're welcome. You have the option to run an external pre but if it works fine that money would be better spent upgrading the whole TT.