Retro Jow Forums thread

Death to Ebay scalpers edition.

Attached: cl9043+59.jpg (1242x511, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

classic-computers.org.nz/system-80/software_cassette_archive.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=-p2GkL9fjV8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>2 bids
the absolute state of eBay

Attached: Screenshot_20180823-085757.jpg (653x312, 77K)

I don't get how this seller justifies charging this for a local pickup. If he were actually shipping it, I could understand that it would be expensive. It's nice that the thing works and all, but it's a "stripper" TRS-80 with only 16k of memory and no disk drives, which is pretty useless. You're about limited to running BASIC programs.

I'd gopherit if I lived near Indiana.

what could you do with it anyways?

You know as well as I do that it's only good for a display piece or maybe a terminal. Anything south of a 286 is basically useless

How would you go about upgrading it to a disk model?

Not an easy job. The Model III had a separate disk controller board and PSU for the disk drives. You would need to find them, which could leave you searching Ebay for months, and you would also need to upgrade the RAM and max it out to 48k via 16kx1 DRAMs.

The easy part is you can then just use a Gotek/HxC and never bother with real floppies.

>what could you do with it anyways?
The same things you'd do on any computer. You'd play games, program, and do work stuff like typing letters and accounting.

IIRC the Model III didn't have a standard serial port either, that was also optional (the parallel port was standard equipment).

>scalpers
so you don't understand how supply and demand works

good to know

>so you don't understand how supply and demand works

You mean LGR did a TRS-80 vid lately?

thus increasing the demand?

I live very close to here.
Do I go for it guys?

IDK but I see C64s selling for a fuckton more money than TRS-80s and there's about 4x as many of them around.

As you wish and if you're willing to go through the effort of upgrading the RAM and tracking down a disk controller+PSU. The CRT could possibly also be replaced because it seems to have screen burn.

you can basically build a whole new C64 nowadays, but it won't be cheap and you'll still need to source the MOS chips

Attached: c64_rel_mk2.jpg (4032x1979, 984K)

Until then, you can use your PC to save and load cassette files through the audio in/out jacks, but you'll also need to find a TRS-80 cassette cable.

I probably shouldn't, as cool as it is. Never personally had an interest in the TRS 80 and the last thing I need is more clutter.

I'm not sure an exact original PSU is needed, you can probably find something for a substitute. If you're going to use an HxC, that won't draw as much power as real floppy drives, so you also don't need to necessarily match the power output of the original.

Well, they can't match the Apple II for gaming prowess.

classic-computers.org.nz/system-80/software_cassette_archive.htm

You can use the cassette version of Scripsit for word processing, but I think this was designed for the Model I so it would have to be modified for Model III use, mainly just the code to output to the printer because the printer port was moved from memory to port I/O mapping on the Model III.

crap sound and very few games supported add-on audio cards

Apple II had color bitmap graphics and the support of A-list game devs, so it got all the primo high budget stuff. It did get overtaken by the C64 from 1983 onward though.

I looked at this and the burned letters on the screen read "PLEASE TYPE YOUR NAME AND PRESS ENTER?"

I wonder what exactly this thing was used for?

The best I can guess is a school classroom (TRS-80s were a popular school machine).

What? The Apple II sucked for games. Just because American kids played with it in school doesn't mean it was any good.

>What? The Apple II sucked for games
It didn't suck in 1977-82. After the C64 came out, then it was officially deprecated.

>It didn't suck in 1977-82
Yes it did.

Compared against what exactly? The PET's monochrome graphics characters?

Radio Shack still actually offered Model IIIs in a 4k Level I BASIC configuration for some unaccountable reason. This was otherwise identical to the Level I BASIC on the Model I, but added LLIST and LPRINT commands for printer output. Unlike the Apple II or PET, there was never any 8k TRS-80 offered and factory memory configurations were 4k, 16k, 32k, and 48k.

Me, I love 8-bit machines. Nuts to you.

Don't think so.

It's possible that Scripsit just calls up the BASIC print output routine. You can do that.

>Never personally had an interest in the TRS 80 and
Think of them as halfway between an Apple II and an IBM XT.

This has the Graphyx Solution installed, which gave you 640x256 graphics. It was a plug in board unlike Radio Shack's official graphics board for the TRS-80, which required permanent modifications to the PCB, had a smaller, faster graphics BASIC, and could output to any printer instead of just Radio Shack printers.

Attached: TRS-80_III_Hi-res_Hat.jpg (1701x1316, 390K)

Ebay actually refunded me last year for a Model M. Apparently the other bidders on the item were the seller shill bidding... oddly the guy had around 3k feedback mostly positive. I didn't know ebay done anything like it and now it made me more weary of what I bid on.

>make graphics board that you had to get professionally installed at RS and you couldn't do yourself
>that of course only works on their printers
Holy god what a scam.

Every computer manufacturer back then did crooked stuff at some point or another. For example, IBM mutilating Centronics ports so you had to use Epson printers with the PC. Apple also refused to use Centronics ports so you had to buy their serial printers.

That fedora graphic was actually a demo program included with the Graphyx Solution, it wasn't some wiseass 4channer who made that image.

youtube.com/watch?v=-p2GkL9fjV8