Why get into Computer Science?

If you're in Computer Science, why did you decided to get into that field rather than Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering?

Attached: Capture.jpg (674x373, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm
bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/electrical-and-electronics-engineering-technicians.htm
bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/electrical-and-electronics-engineers.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I went to college for EE and immediately got an SE job. I don't know why I do anything.

I only switched to CS so I could graduate on time. I started in CE and not a day goes by that I don't kick myself for doing it wrong.

Because I'm not a hardwarefag. ...Okay, maybe slightly hardwarefag. Might be interesting to dual-major in CS and CE, depending on how much the courses overlap. I was already likely going to get a math minor, since it's only one or two extra courses from my uni's CS major.

If you're going to work as software developer, most of the stuff you'll learn in engineering will be useless.

If you're going to work as a software developer, most of the stuff you'll learn in college will be useless.

On that note, I've not heard/thought of SE (assuming Systems Engineering). What's different about that compared to CS?

Software Engineering

I unironically don't know what SE is please tell. (yes im a newfag)

It seems more fun than CS though imo.

Personally I'm confused of what I want to do so I'm leaning towards doing CE. EE seems very fun but you don't work with computers much (i assume), and CS works with computers a lot but it seems like it'd be boring doing that all day (plus I guess it's a Pajeet field from what I've read on here)

I assume I could just "legally" obtain college level books and teach myself CS yes?

>I unironically don't know what SE is please tell
Software Engineering

Thanks bby

Looks like my uni has "Industrial and Systems Engineering" which doesn't sound like anything I want to do, so that's a nope.
Hmm.
Yeah, basically. There are tons of great resources online. But I'm horrible with self-motivation and whatnot, and really need a traditional class structure to learn shit. But... considering I don't have a way to get to uni anyway, I'm going to have to go the DIY path for now. Lots and lots of math...

Could I even get a CS job without a CS degree if I know how to do all the work well?

I didn't. I have a physics degree. I make pretty good money larping as a software engineer.

I mean, I can't say from experience. I'm kind of in that position right now, as well, since my car died last year. But I have the impression that yes, you could. Just ... need a lot of projects. Open-source contributions or DIY stuff. I've not touched anything like that, though, so I can't give pointers on that specific topic.

Then I should start now lol. I don't have many.

Cause I hate low level shit. I like math, algorithms, large scale data, and not being forced to use Windows.

I'm too dumb for EE

>get accepted for a COMPSCI semester at UCI
>check catalog
>no compiler design
>no functional programming
>no OOP
>ML is only introduction courses
>no numerical methods
>no game theory
>no type theory
>check CE catalog
>only two courses
Had most of those in my college in Europe. The fuck's happening with CS?

Because programming is fun.

>If you're in Computer Science, why did you decided to get into that field rather than Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering?
too much of a brainlet for mathematics, too much of a cuck for electrical engineering

I barely passed physics 101, I am just happy I got accepted to CS desu senpai

My college had all of those. Just don’t go to a meme school

To you guys and everyone else in CS, would you say you make enough and/or enjoy your life/work you do? I'm thinking of getting into CE but CS may be nice as well. Also, do you like your coworkers?

I'm in computer science. I was in Computer Engineering years ago but dropped out due to money problems and debt trying to live in the city. I took a few years off to move back to my hometown and work off debt. Right now I'm going back to school and living at home - my local university doesn't have CE but it does have CS. It's okay with me because frankly it's a lot easier than CE and it makes me feel like not such a smoothbrain when all the zoomer first time college students are washing out because they lack work ethic.

UCI is one of the lesser UC schools desu, but at least there are a lot of asian girls amirite

> uc merced, riverside > santa cruz, irvine > everyone else

Isn't game theory a post-grad topic? I don't have a clue about the rest of those courses. Though I was looking at this article that references Waterloo's fucking first and second year courses, and holy shit... Your post + Waterloo's courses are fucking scary. I almost feel like a shithead, because there's no way I could keep up with all that stuff.

>Isn't game theory a post-grad topic?
I took it in undergrad. I studied math though

>tfw never went to college after high school
>worked through the customer service slog until I got a nice job as a desktop tech for a good company
>enjoy not having debt but feel like I missed out and my knowledge is lacking
>just moved to Research Triangle and the universities apparently have really good CS/CE/EE programs and I'd love to really go and learn
Has anyone gone to college/university later in life instead of right out of high school? I'd probably start with community college and have to transfer, but even still, I feel like I'd do better in a school environment than try to self-teach everything.

Attached: 1534712952297.jpg (250x250, 6K)

Because I'm a tranny.

electrical engineering sucks. from an electrical engineer that switched to CE

Are you me? This is exactly what I did.

I did this but only because the programs were nearly identical aside from one or two classes and the CE ones looked piss easy and the EE ones didn't.

I feel kinda bad about it. I dunno. What job prospects do I even have, idk what a computer engineer does I'm just doing this because college is a meme

I went to uni after high school, failed, wageslaved for two years, and am now at a community college. It's basically the same thing as what you asked for.

That sounds like a good plan desu. Doesn't sound like there's much career progression for what you're doing, and you'd cap out at a certain point if there was.

Outside of the projects that involve primarily scripting, I enjoy it and my coworkers are surprisingly very smart and [spoiler]there are no pajeets at my company[/spoiler]

I changed because I wanted to learn how to program and how computers work low-level, I was tired of looking at transistor curves and solving triple integrals.
A computer engineer can program hardware drivers for example, or FPGAs, microcontrollers, OS design, embedded systems, etc...

I started doing CE, but I realised that they force you do do a common year for all engineers. I bailed out to CS when they started talking about atomic structure and environmental safety.

If you're a competent CE you can get a good job in any computing field.

t. SWE (CE major) making good money

bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm
bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/electrical-and-electronics-engineering-technicians.htm
bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/electrical-and-electronics-engineers.htm

But I'm in CE. Quite the waste of time.
Would have done SE but wasn't available and CS is probably an even worse waste of time.

>rather than Electrical Engineering?
Nigga EEs don't know shit about software, what are you asking?
Sure they can code, but anyone can code, you don't go to college to become a coder.

>using n*gga unironically
you're trash

Get a load of this mad nigger

>censoring nigga unironically
you're trash

Where does CIS fall into that? I've been working on a CIS degree and from what I heard from my CS friend I'm glad I did CIS.

wannabe n*ggers detected

Attached: ooga.png (548x439, 106K)

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE WRIST ROCKETS

t. double nigger

Top fucking kek.
The nigger delusion.

You can learn CS and SE at home.

As in info systems? It's the business degree of STEM, and no that's not a good thing. Are you a girl by chance?

I did do ECE.

I'm not a cuck

I'm currently doing CE because I like low-level shit and the EE fundamentals are useful. Most unis around here don't have an SE program because most grads just go with CE/CS and end up taking SE jobs.
Also what makes SE so different from CS that it needs a separate degree plan? I mean my CE degree is already technically an EE degree (according to my uni) with some extra DLD/Mircroprosessor design courses, I feel like going for SE just narrows your skillset.

Going off semantics, I feel like SE is just CS without most of the math requirements and theory.

EE = Circuits and shit with a coding class or two
CS = Some coding, theory, mathematical and philosophical questions that nobody gives a shit about
SE = Code like a pro, networking, sysadmin, architecture all up in this shit, also manage teams and run a business, get shit done giving zero fucks about theory

Yea info systems. If it's business then Im not sure how. Theres one business class required for the degree. And no Im not a girl.

any computer systems folk???
C is such a nice, high level, programming language.

Attached: sad.gif (480x350, 182K)

No you don't get it. It's considered the "business" degree of IT and STEM, meaning you weren't smart enough or willing to do the work to get a CS degree for whatever reason. It's considered the "this programming class is too hard, so I'll switch to info sys" or you picked it because you don't want to do math. Not saying that's the case for you but that's how a lot of people look at it.

Nice B8 M8.
I actually love C, but I think most companies have realised it’s more productive to use higher level loose languages like python and get a lot done quickly

Don't even need college level books, even Youtube tutorials nowadays will cover even advanced topics.

Well I make more than all my friends and family even though I just graduated. We generally only work 6 hours a day which is nice and I like my team and what I do even if I don't really care about the company I work for.

So what did courses did they actually offer then