>2018
>linux still has to use cryptic terminal commands to copy paste files correctly

yeah linux sure is great guys

Attached: loonix.png (167x128, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/is-the-letter-y-a-vowel-or-a-consonant/
linux.die.net/man/1/cp
ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/124188/fedora-28-system-freeze-while-copying-large-file/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>cryptic
cp is just copy without the vowels holy fuck

Maybe it's you? I never had issues with using a GUI to copy files on KDE, Cinnamon, or LXDE.

Y ain't a vowel.

Cryptic?
cd > change directory
cp > copy
mv > move
rm > remove

Yeah...

It is in this case. Anyway, even if you're scared of the terminal, something like Thunar has the same thing but in GUI and it's like OSX

it is sometimes you downy clown ass fuck

>Y ain't a vowel.
en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/is-the-letter-y-a-vowel-or-a-consonant/

>However, the consonant sound is not consistently represented in English spelling by any other letter, and perhaps for this reason Y tends traditionally to be counted among the consonants.

A,E,I,O,U. Nobody that speaks English English considers Y a vowel. It's probably an Americanism from where they dropped other vowels from English and decided to replace them with a letter that is a consonant.

>It's probably an Americanism from where they dropped other vowels from English and decided to replace them with a letter that is a consonant.

Fucking Americans murder everything. If it's not each other and brown people it's the fucking language we gave them.

>>linux still has to use cryptic terminal commands to copy paste files correctly
Only if you don't install a GUI at all, which makes this thread pointless.

That doesnt mean it definitively isnt a vowel.

Looks like we've a lot of unemployed English majors on Jow Forums...

>Cryptic
Brainlet

Attached: 1531457251009.png (367x362, 75K)

>cp = cheese pizza
FTFY you sick fucks

Attached: Chris-Hansen.jpg (1350x675, 63K)

I'd much rather have plaintext config files everywhere than the registry

and yes, i have been in the windows registry within the last few months. (to make Edit-> open photoshop)

Y is a vowel in Norwegian. Then again we don't usually say it in a weird way. The Y in "copy" is phonetically identical to our Y though, so it's 100% without a doubt a vowel in this case.

change directory > change directory
copy > copy
move > move
remove > remove

Why couldn't they have just done this and kept it obvious?

>randomly removing letters from small words won't make it cryptic at all

Yeah...

I prefer less typing. A lot less typing but you can just alias them if you want and keep your home folder form machine to machine with all your custom commands.

its from a 70's research OS running on a PDP + teletype
i think their naming isnt that bad

ye olden unix was written in the time of teletypewriters

Why couldn't they have just made the commands obvious, but then let people alias it into nonsense if they wanted to instead?

And they say that the current generation is too lazy to type out full words

linux is just booooooooooooooooooring
go to bed gramps maybe dream of all those terminal commands

>And they say
Boomer detected.

In the old days people had enough brains to read manuals.

why is there so many of these threads recently

>read tome to figure out cryptic commands
or
>it just works out of the box
hmm I wonder which one I would choose?

hey kids want to copy a file?
JUST READ THIS MANUAL WITH DOZENS OF VARIABLES AND LEARN LMAO THIS IS THE LOONIX WAY linux.die.net/man/1/cp

B-b-but they did it in the 70s, so it's smart!

now link the windows powershell equivalent a rdiciulously verbose command thats not even standardized unlike POSIX

You don't need to use the terminal to copy and paste files.

0.002 poopy rupees and a hot bowl of rice and curry were deposited into your local shitting street.

Attached: RZqGWhH.png (429x518, 68K)

Powershell is Microsoft's answer for users who want to be autistic without switching operating systems

they sure outdid themselves

>needs to install proprietary dropbox software to be able to copy in linux
lmao @ freetards

Still, your it just werks process takes much more time to do. It's about what's important to you I guess, efficiency or simplicity.

If acronyms are hard for you, kys. Linux isn't for you.

Literally just open a GUI file manager and do it the same way as you would in Windows if you're that much of a brainlet.

Is this the new MS Shill thread?

>needs to create FUD out of thin air because he's being constantly BTFO
lmao @ pajeets

Entire post is a strawman, I have literally never had this problem. Sage.

Rajeesh, it is time to let go.

I love Linux because of its simplicity and resourcefulness and unlimited possibilities all in one single OS. Learning the command line is simply a matter of want.

You could get a fully functioning web server using docker within 5 minutes with a single command, something Windows wishes they can do.

That's the file manager working with dropbox, fucking idiot. Not a dropbox file manager. Were you dropped on your damn head as child?

Attached: 1535560818219.png (856x846, 85K)

Says the britbong who says colour, go away fogbreather.

>A,E,I,O,U
You forgot "R".

KDE is notorious for data loss bugs when copying files.

You must shit yourself whenever someone says lol.

The recent Steam meme has brought a lot of eyes onto Linux, so you've got equal parts shills and equal parts turbo retards who genuinely are too stupid to figure out how to copy a file through a GUI. Seriously, people underestimate just how fucking dumb the average computer user is, even compared to just 10 years ago.

"Notorious" is overstating it by a lot-it's an extremely rare, hard to reproduce bug in Dolphin that occurs during enormous file transfers with deep directory structures, the type that you should be using something like rsync for anyway. Besides, the point of the post you're replying to is that OP clearly has some sort of brain damage or is a shill (both the same, really) for thinking you need to use a CLI to copy a file on Linux.

Attached: 303.jpg (528x437, 31K)

You do know the items in that menu without a Dropbox logo next to them are there out of the box, right? The same as you don't need Dropbox to copy paste files in Windows Explorer or macOS Finder.

The actual KDE bug is simply dolphin freezing while doing a large write with lots of data. However, the copying is still ongoing and the freezing will go away once the copying is done. There is, however, another bug that looks similar on the surface but is actually the fault of the kernel itself.
ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/124188/fedora-28-system-freeze-while-copying-large-file/
What happens is that, similar to dolphin, the system freezes during large writes. However, the main differences are that the whole system freezes and becomes unrecoverable and the copying itself also freezes, resulting in lost data. Dolphin doesn't lose data if you allow the copying to continue. This kernel bug, however, will lose you your data.

You mean other English countries' vowels are a, e, i, o, u, instead of a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y?

You know what has less typing? GUIs. Sorry you're still in the 1950s

If your software needs a manual to use, you have to hire a designer - you haven't done your job

I'd rather type a few characters than try to find my way through a clusterfuck of menus

>clusterfuck of menus
Stop using KDE. Windows/macOS don't have this problem.

Any program with sufficient complexity has this issue.

Consider the Y in "rhythm".

Like what? even microsoft visual studio is fine because all options are neatly organised in sections and subsections.
Unlike terminal based apps that just plaster your screen with a megabyte of text.

lmaoing @ u rn

>Are you sure, user. I'm on linux for 3 month already and never had to use 'cp'.
Can't you use 'paste to' command on right mouse click menu in gnome ?

Retard

Take an ffmpeg frontend for example. Fuckloads of options in the GUI but in the CLI I just type the ffmpeg -i input -flags output

It was from fuckijg long ago where screens were actually printers and ink was expensive so less characters is better. Also why would you want to type out more unless you're a brainlet

and this is why our generation will fail

Every single software has a manual, user. It doesn't matter what it is, there's always a help button somewhere. The only reason why you think "software doesn't need mauals anymore" is because they've all gone digital. Nobody bothers to print physical manuals anymore.

Op confirmed brainlet

Attached: cat.jpg (194x260, 11K)

English was shit before Americans got to it.
There is a reason why English is referred to as the whore of languages.
Compare to French or Spanish which maintain their lingual purity and have organizations in charge of maintaining the language.
English is C++
French/Spanish are C

>has to use
nobody forces you to, dumbass
You can use GUI and GUI only if you wish on linux
saged

because typing out changedirectory is a waste of time

Windows is far more notorious for losing data on copy and breaking the source data at the same time.

All I have to do is select to copy.
Then Ctl-ins to paste.

Are you daft?

You can use ctrlc - ctrlv on Linux as well.
I don't understand all these threads saying obvious retarded bullshit about Linux.
It must be a single guy with nothing better to do.

you are just fishing for one of my rare [baited] pics. here i am in a good mood.

Attached: 1504622634077.png (1024x1024, 86K)

> 2018
> not knowing how to use bash
fucking pathetic.

>cryptic
I heard schools starting again soon user