Staring at screens all day is the reason your eyesight is getting progressively worse. Anyone else worried about this?

Staring at screens all day is the reason your eyesight is getting progressively worse. Anyone else worried about this?

Attached: bottle-bottom-specs.jpg (500x329, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nNR9Jjw0xpI
lenscrafters.com/lc-us/vision-guide/blue-light-computer-eye-strain
sciencealert.com/half-the-world-s-population-will-be-short-sighted-by-2050
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK216487/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4734149/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think my eyesight is as bad as its going to get. I'm pretty horribly nearsighted, which was almost surely from spending my whole childhood with my nose in a book or in front of a computer, but now I'm a 31yo boomer and my eyes haven't gotten any worse for at least five years or so. So whatever, who cares, I'll continue staring at screens.

[citation required]
Your mom or granny or "they all said" is not a reliable source btw.

Just got glasses because of this and they actually make me look better.
10/10 would stare again

honestly, NO.

You need to discipline your eye. I wear glass. at the same time, my eyesight got worse because I wore glass.

Just take more breaks.

youtu.be/nNR9Jjw0xpI

my dad and mom's side get progressively worse over time, and this is before looking at a screen all day was a viable thing to have happen.

I recently started having problem like red eyes and other shit at 26yo, so I buyed the blue-filter glasses meme and they kinda fix the problem

I've had the same astigmatism since I was 17, so I don't think so.

Blue or yellow? Got the same issue

Light yellow filter, 40% blocking

Sweet thanks

OS and software manufacturers are finally catching on to the demand for "night mode"

Here's Night Shift on my work Mac

Attached: スクリーンショット 2018-08-30 18.04.00.png (1548x266, 73K)

Too little too late. Plus teenagers always have their phone brightness on full blast because it looks good.

This.

actually got a 0.25 glasses prescription now due to this, not a big deal but sometimes text gets slightly blurry and id rather it doesnt get worse so i got a pair of blue light protective glasses

Hell yeah

Jow Forums is 18+

20/20 master race reporting in

I wear computer glasses that block out blue light and other shit. I used to get headeaches from staring at screens 8 hours a day at work and they stopped after wearing them. I think it has slowed down the deterioration.

what deterioration?

your eyes are designed to absord light

and your screen is way dimmer than the sun

the only thing you could possibly be doing is straining your eyes with poor contrast

No. We're all going to die one day.

Actually aging is why your eyesight is getting worse.

lenscrafters.com/lc-us/vision-guide/blue-light-computer-eye-strain

Not only does it help with computer screens but any lights like shitty office fluorescents

This.

Glasses with blue light blocking do help with the strain, though. I have 20/20, but I went to the eye doctor and got a prescription that makes my eyesight 20/15. Spent like $25 on eyebuydirect for a pair with blue light blocking. I throw them on the evening and wa la, instant relief

>here, check out this infomercial by a company that wants to sell you eyewear products
>just trust them goy

Come ON man.
The absolute last fucking place I'm looking for health info is from a fucking advertisement page of a company trying to sell me shit.

>making your monitor into a scapegoat to take the blame for your decaying body instead of coming to terms with your own mortality

ISHYGDDT

Attached: 1532198736106.jpg (600x600, 34K)

Then search for your own articles retard there are plenty all stating the same. There are studies out there.

I'm looking and what I'm finding is recent bullshit within the past 1-2 years coming from commercial sources and guerilla advertising trying to sell people blue-light blocking glasses for health reasons.

Going back further than a couple years, every bit of information says blue light sources, such as your monitor, won't damage your eyes, but can cause eyestrain and keep you awake at night.

I'm sorry bud but this "blue light wrecks your eyes so buy our special glasses" sounds like total fucking snakeoil bullshit and you've fallen for it.

Nice source

Attached: 1535632433308-pol.jpg (228x220, 17K)

sciencealert.com/half-the-world-s-population-will-be-short-sighted-by-2050

It doesnt really matter what source you take, because these are just statistics and its incredibly unlikely that these were purposely faked in all countries in the world at the same time.
Over 90% of the 18 year old recruits in south korea have atleast 0.5 dioptres or more.
20 percent of the population in SK is heavily shortsighted (over 5.0 dioptres)
In the western countries its a bit better but there are substantial increases in short-sightednes too.
This all happened in the last decades and you dont have to be a genius to see why.

There aren’t enough studies to prove that it helps all those articles you see are from lenses manufacturers, see

No, that's a myth.

Apparently there is ONE study

and they shone a blue laser at a culture dish of cells then concluded seeing blue light makes you go blind.

science is a fucking joke in this age

Theres 0 actual proof that it will fuck up your eyes.
Some anecdotal evidence is me a 30 year old boomer with 20/20 that's been staring at screens since I was 4

Look away from your monitor from time to time. Your eyes get "trained" to your monitor distance and can cause your sight to worsen for real. It's the same thing with serial book readers. Some more active people unconsciously do this and that's where the "it's a myth" bullshit comes from. One of the more dangerous things to your eye. Repositioning your monitor every week or so can't hurt, but likely an overkill.

Keep blinking. This in mostly unconscious, but if you are playing an addictive game your eyes can dry out and cause severe pains. If it happens regularly enough, your eyeballs can get damaged. It's normal to use eye drops if you are susceptible to getting overfocused.

Use backlighting and never rely on your monitor as the primary light source at night. Else it can cause pains and fuck up your eye dilation. I personally can't even look at a monitor in complete darkness.

Reduce the gamma you fucking normie. It burns out your retina, fucks up your eye dilation and just overall strains your balls. If you can comprehend that you shouldn't look directly into the sun, then don't turn your monitor into a mini-sun.

And if you feel your eyes strained and getting red, stop. Popping blood vessels in the eye though rare, are not cool.

Also, there is the thing with radiation interacting with your glasses and focusing them along normal light rays, but I'm not knowledgeable about that. Just be glad we are not using CRT monitors anymore. Those were real murderers.

Attached: I happen to be an expert on this subject.jpg (400x519, 66K)

This. And the reason your eyes, or anyone else's eyes today are fucked and require glasses at a young age, is because of your Marxist education system.

>Just be glad we are not using CRT monitors anymore. Those were real murderers.
I'm still using a CRT, should I be worried?

Attached: 1517533806078.jpg (322x322, 15K)

no, your lenses won't bend the x-rays given off by the CRT like that cunt is claiming. Instead they just go straight through the lense like it's not there, not "concentrate" into your eyeball.

only use displays in well lit rooms
filter blue light when possible

But does that mean I'm still exposed to x-rays? I thought CRTs had shielding to prevent that.

Get a fucking LCD already grandpa. Your face is literally bombarded with radiation.

But eh, you will live. At least long enough to see the age of ray tracing. :^)
CRTs were phased out for a good reason. I can't honestly recommend anyone to use CRTs unless absolutely necessary for some weird reason. They weren't mainstream long enough as computer monitors to study decade long effects of the radiation.

>your lenses won't bend the x-rays given off by the CRT like that cunt is claiming
I never claimed that, asshole.
But glasses act like magnifiers and you can start fires with them (the stronger ones).

>I thought CRTs had shielding to prevent that.

lol

enjoy your xrays

X ray visions? Sign me up!

Attached: clutchxrayvisions.jpg (1000x500, 90K)

Yeah, the shadow mask is designed to keep most of the x-rays inside, but some do escape.
The level of emitted radiation is quite low, but it is possible that since your face is very close to the screen (compared to a TV) there could be an effect over time.

Check this out:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK216487/

There's really no reason to keep using a CRT though, modern flat panel displays surpass them in nearly every regard.

I need to zoom in most websites 150% or so to be able to read them comfortably. It wasn't always like that.
I'm not sure if screen resolutions just got finer or if my eyes are fucked

I also use white text on black background and dark themes for everything

>1983
kek

eyes get worse as you age

Hey guess what genius, CRTs haven't really changed since then.

The distance I see comfortably at is exactly the distance of my monitors. It's like my eyes are specialized at focusing my screens.
Coincidence?

>I don't have access to peer review journals, therefore all science is wrong
Dumbass

Not really, I've been behind screens since I was a toddler and I'm in my mid 30's today, with 20/15 vision. Having lived through the CRT era as well.
I believe this is a misconception that screens ruin vision, like reading in the dark. I think it's mostly based per person, people just having bad sight and accusing being behind screens all the time for the cause.

Attached: 1485104773237.jpg (1024x1024, 247K)

I've been staring at screens since I was 6, my eyes got worse over they years peaking (or rather bottoming) at -3,75 / -4,00
It's likely genetic, everyone in my family had it worse than me.
It has been at this level of sight for 4 years now, so basically it stopped getting worse when I turned 18 or 19~.
I don't believe screens had anything to do with it.

If you are really afraid of screens just sit near a window and look outside every 25 minutes for a few seconds.

My eyes started going to shit when I bought cool LED globes, I switched to warmer ones and the problem doesn't seem to progress any further but I'm not sure.

No, just use the recommended resolution so the text stays sharp.

CRT were nicer on my eyes than LED LCD meme monitors, not a popular opinion but I have 20/8 vision to begin with.

The thing is CRT doesn't have a resolution - things are always blurry to a degree. Better than with LCD monitors that get shitty outside of their native resolution but still...

are you japanese?

My eyesight has bottomed out at -5.5/-5.25 after degrading since I was about 7 or 8 years old, and that was before I started staring into screens. My younger brother started wearing glasses a few years ago for nearsightedness, and he's been staring at screens and playing videogames since he was born. I don't doubt staring at screens has some effect on our eyesight, but it's vastly overblown by the boomers.

we will have prosthetic eyes in my lifetime so i dont care

>wa la
Opinion discarded.

its a meme u dip

Your eye muscle get weak and start to get focus problems.

Get daylight all day, avoid artificial ligth for nigh and look things far away.

>right eye is -3.25
>the left is around -1.25
Why

Attached: angry_pepe.jpg (900x900, 65K)

No it's not. Lack of hard, strong light causes vision to deteriorate. If screens could produce daylight level of brightness, there wouldn't be any issues.

So buy a HDR monitor?

LASIC is becoming ever more cheaper thanks to unregulated free market growth. At cheapest it costs $600 for both eyes.

That still comes nowhere close. Take it outside in a sunny day and no matter how much to crank up the brightness, the image still appears dark.

I don't understand the reason why. It's worse for your battery and hurts your eyes, and it's only benefit is less flickering which 99% of us won't notice.

I am not worried because I don't use a CRT monitor

those are worse

small text is also an aesthetic meme in the web design community
look at a site like hacker news which is basically unreadable at 100%

you're 50% right
it's the combination of dark environment and bright screen that fuck up your eyes
it basically keeps your pupils dilated while at the same time being flooded by bright blue light from the display

>reading comprehension
huh...so this is the power of an American education.

LASIK isn't going to do shit for photoreceptor loss from staring at displays all day

Just use flux and take breaks. Remember to blink.

got any sauce for the photoreceptor loss?

Yeha better medical care means more people are going out and getting diagnosed.

i hope you like being blind when you turn 45

>The accumulating experimental evidence has indicated that exposure to blue light can affect many physiologic functions, and it can be used to treat circadian and sleep dysfunctions. However, blue light can also induce photoreceptor damage. Thus, it is important to consider the spectral output of LED-based light sources to minimize the danger that may be associated with blue light exposure. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4734149/

Myopia and astigmatism are mechanical deformation of the eye. Somehow, steady stream of sunlight stops this evidently natural process.

Anyone who actually believe this meme is a boomer back when CRT was still a thing.

You sound like a boomer not wanting to believe new studies coming out that support the theory

Are you a doctor? If not, then ok to say bullshit like this

>buy $600 lasik in the ghetto
>tfw you're blind
>tfw when you walk outside the hospital and get shot

I don’t care my glasses make me look cuter anyway

Attached: image.jpg (960x722, 286K)

Acute vision is overrated anyway. I can see shit from large distances just as well, except a little blurry.

okay, so what I got from that is that the eye can be damaged by intense short term (12 hour) exposure to blue light or longer term low intensity blue light. This doesn't draw a direct correlation between LED blue light and "natural" blue light (probably because they're the exact fucking same).
Don't stare at blue for 12 hours straight, kids.

yellow tint niggers

The wavelength of light from your monitor is the same, but not the intensity. There's about two orders of magnitude more photons hitting your eye when you go outside than when you look at your monitor.

So if staring at the blue sky for decades doesn't destroy your retina, staring at your monitor sure as fuck won't either.

This is yet another example of a corporation buying """experimental evidence""" so they can sell a product that solves a problem which doesn't actually exist. I guess it's better than them creating a problem and then selling you the solution, which I'm sure some unscrupulous corps are already doing or planning.

Say it is just snake oil. The fact is my headaches stopped after wearing glasses that block blue light. I stare at 2 monitors all day at work.

Your headaches probably stopped because you changed your diet or you're straining your eyes less.

Blue light isn't inducing headaches. There is no Blue -> headache pathway in your brain.

lol, nice assumptions. No, my diet didn't change. But yes, my headaches did stop because my eyes weren't as stained because I used anti-blue light/anti-glare glasses. I don't even use a prescription either.

All the four eyed aspie cucks can reproduce due to tech boom

>Just

Attached: 1528911295807.png (640x480, 270K)

My eyesight actually got better though

just lower the fucking brightness retards

>he doesn't have f.lux

>However, blue light can also induce photoreceptor damage
So far only proven in people with macular degeneration, ie. old people

Actually my eyes got better with age and I stare at screens all day. Old meme is old