/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Old thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

Attached: 1385944250096.gif (640x360, 1.28M)

Other urls found in this thread:

losurs.org/docs/tips/sysadmin/user-mountable
x.org/archive/X11R7.7/doc/man/man1/setxkbmap.1.xhtml
hatebin.com/gmnahgzaom
github.com/naelstrof/maim
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F2FS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what should i install gentoo or slack?

is that a bulge in her pants?

Is there a way to find out what loads a module? I want to blacklist a module (bpfilter) that recently started getting loaded but I don't know if it's going to have consequences.

Is there a possibility to show which program or what other module loaded it?

The rightmost column in lsmod shows what is using a particular module.
Also, I don't think blacklisting bpfilter is going to have dire consequences. It's not like it's a device driver required to operate your computer properly.

slackware

i heard gentoo has hardened package build system. is it main advantage from slack?

the webmin repo is not responding when doing apt-get update, how can i skip checking it? in /etc/apt/sources.list i don't see webmin repo.

check etc/apt/sources.list.d/ if there is a webmin list there

So I'm trying to use my USB.

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 ~/Desktop/USB

I can mount but it cant read/write via cat > hi.txt as it throws Bash: Permission denied.

Whats wrong?

that file is empty, opened it with nano

is it a ntfs partition? install ntfs-3g

Its mounted as root, so you'd have to do "sudo cat" instead, edit /etc/fstab to allow standard users to mount file systems. losurs.org/docs/tips/sysadmin/user-mountable

OP here, never mind. the webmin repo was in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webmin.list

I commented the webmin url and now apt update is successful.

check sudoers

Sudo didnt work either
Yes my user is a sudoer

Check if you mounted it read-only.

Hello folks, I've got myself a minimal ubuntu and installed i3 on it. Now I want to add anothe input language, how do I do this using only terminal?

x.org/archive/X11R7.7/doc/man/man1/setxkbmap.1.xhtml

-if you want to change the locale run "dpkg-reconfigure locales"
-if you want to change the console keymap and shit run "dpkg-reconfigure console-setup"

How do I slow down my touchpad scroll ?
I use try to tweak it with xinput, but nothing work yet

user@fremen:[~] xinput --list-props 12
Device 'AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint':
Device Enabled (138): 1
Coordinate Transformation Matrix (140): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
libinput Tapping Enabled (277): 1
libinput Tapping Enabled Default (278): 0
libinput Tapping Drag Enabled (279): 1
libinput Tapping Drag Enabled Default (280): 1
libinput Tapping Drag Lock Enabled (281): 0
libinput Tapping Drag Lock Enabled Default (282): 0
libinput Tapping Button Mapping Enabled (283): 1, 0
libinput Tapping Button Mapping Default (284): 1, 0
libinput Accel Speed (285): -0.600000
libinput Accel Speed Default (286): 0.000000
libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled (287): 1
libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled Default (288): 0
libinput Send Events Modes Available (262): 1, 1
libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (263): 0, 0
libinput Send Events Mode Enabled Default (264): 0, 0
libinput Left Handed Enabled (289): 0
libinput Left Handed Enabled Default (290): 0
libinput Scroll Methods Available (291): 1, 1, 0
libinput Scroll Method Enabled (292): 1, 0, 0
libinput Scroll Method Enabled Default (293): 1, 0, 0
libinput Middle Emulation Enabled (294): 1
libinput Middle Emulation Enabled Default (295): 1
libinput Disable While Typing Enabled (296): 1
libinput Disable While Typing Enabled Default (297): 1
Device Node (265): "/dev/input/event1"
Device Product ID (266): 2, 8
libinput Drag Lock Buttons (298):
libinput Horizontal Scroll Enabled (299): 1

I fell for the raspberry pi meme what do

pi-hole or some other botnet IoT project
either that or in butt

lowering accel speed is what you do for a mouse, dunno if it's the same for touchpads

>OP
you made this thread?

Why shouldn't I install Solus GNU?

t. brainlet
pacman -Syu makes me make a decision
Replace ca-certificates-cacert with core/ca-certificates? [Y/n]
what is the difference and what should i pick

nay

ca-certificates is a package of trusted root certificates you can use for https connections for example. Looks like it was moved/renamed, it's safe to replace it.

yeah that's what i already tried, but it didn't work. It's only slowing down the mouse pointer

it's okay.
lacks ricabliity though as it's made for casual users to transition.

That just happens every now and then when they rename packages.

hardened profile is not suitable for an everyday desktop but rather an overall pain in the ass, you can't just install and be done with it

Is there anyway to get rid of the hideous topbar in ubuntu 18.04? They really fucked up. Better yet, is there anyway to get it to perform exactly like 16.04?

I just "upgraded" my laptop to Ubuntu 18. Jesus christ that thing is a mess. I thought they would have somehow modded GNOME to not be a piece of shit, but no. What a disaster. I wiped that thing clean so fast. Back to Ubuntu 16 now.

Attached: night-light-in-ubuntu-18.04.png (1440x900, 208K)

I'm trying to lock down my computer's networking. Is there a way to allow networking for specific programs but block everything else?

Iptables isnt going to help me because it only blocks ports but I need to be able to block on the application level.

Attached: 1464381495950.jpg (721x883, 158K)

uninstall ubuntu
install openSUSE

install xfce4

pls help regex with bash is confusing me so much

Can I make YAY have a color scheme when searching with the yaourt-like search?

Really no point when I can't read the fucking search as easily

simply add
for f in ; do
if [[ ! -e $f ]]; then
continue
fi
echo $f
done
also that wasn't regex, it's called wildcard

bpfilter was added as it will eventually replace iptables. You need to build the kernel without it if you don't want it.

I did shopt -s nullglob and mine worked.
Using your way with that conditional, only the first few words of the filename get printed.
I don't know why.

>replace iptables
Thats what they said with nftables and look where we are now...

Been using Budgie for the past day. Pretty coool little desktop environment, all things considered. Kind of like if Gnome3 had decided to stick with the original design philosophy rather than trying to make a brand new E X P E R I E N C E. I'm interested in seeing how the QT switch fairs when solus 4 drops (soonTM)

It could single handedly kill off GTK if it remained this light. KDE is for desktops, and LXQT still has a long ways to go since it still uses fucking openbox.

Did anybody install Arch Linux on f2fs?

Does Windows 10 do something to make NTFS partitions unmountable in Linux? My drives are detected but don't show as having any valid partitions on them. I have no option for fast boot in Windows power settings and I ran powercfg /h off to turn off hibernation. I wanted to be able to access my documents on the drive while finally getting out of the Windows ecosystem, but this is driving me crazy. I can't find anything that might help besides what I already tried. It used to work when I had tried a Linux LiveCD in the past.

install ntfs-3g

how do i remove the intel security mitigations from opensuse?

Attached: chara6.png (540x984, 200K)

>Does Windows 10 do something to make NTFS partitions unmountable in Linux?
Yes. With fast booting enabled (this is the default) if you shut down windows it leaves a system is a kinda-hibernated state. ntfs-3g refuses to mount windows drivers rw in this state or when you hibernated windows because the filesystem is not in a clean state.
To prevent this
-disable fast boot in windows
-use "restart" not "power off" when exiting windows. Restart is not affected by fast boot.

Already installed, not working.

If you read my post beyond the first sentence you'll know what I already disabled fast boot and hibernation. I'll try using restart to shutdown, though. I can't fathom why it's not working unless Windows now encrypts everything by default or is doing something without telling me.

>If you read my post beyond the first sentence you'll know what I already disabled fast boot and hibernation.
nvm I'm retarded.

Does fdisk/gparted/other partitioning software sees your partitions?

No, it doesn't, but digging in the Windows registry I find that this key relating to fast boot is enabled for some reason in spite of absolutely no GUI options being available for it in the control panel. Let's see if disabling it works...

Attached: what the flying fuck microsoft.png (331x19, 1K)

My question is just where are you actually looking when you say they are
>detected but don't show as having any valid partitions
Is this a command you're running or some GUI applications?

Try doing "sudo fdisk -l"

I've run lsblk --fs and I've also checked in Gnome Disk and KDE partition manager. I'll run that though and come back with results

Puffy vulva.

So fdisk does show my NTFS disk partitions:
Disk /dev/sda: 465.8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x7ee2acde

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 2048 206847 204800 100M 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 206848 848870464 848663617 404.7G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 897697792 976771071 79073280 37.7G 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 848871424 897697791 48826368 23.3G 83 Linux
Disk /dev/sdd: 447.1 GiB, 480103981056 bytes, 937703088 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x6e75c706

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sdd1 2048 937699327 937697280 447.1G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

But trying to mount any of the partitions doesn't seem to work. (yes I created the mount point)
$ sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /mnt/windows
ntfs-3g: Failed to access volume '/dev/sda2': No such file or directory

ur dum

you don't need to call ntfs-3g
also you have your parameters backwards.
mount point then disk.

>also you have your parameters backwards.
>mount point then disk.
Arch wiki tells me
# mount /dev/your_NTFS_partition /mount/point

So I think I'm doing that part right at least.

Manjaro user for two years. Heard fedora was great. I just want a system that don't get into my way and let me focus on my work. Software should be easy to find. Worth switching ?

Is it possible to only show the titled window thats focused on i3 where as everything else is title/borderless? Where can I find some nice i3 configs, I'm at a loss as to what I should really go for.

Also do you need a package or something to just display a wallpaper? Seems rather silly having to get a whole package for this

Is there any alternative to logitech gaming mouse software for Ubuntu?
It only has a Windows version.
It's the only thing preventing me from switching to linux.

Why do you want to switch?

If you googled for 1 minute you would have an answer

why do you need it? it writes it to firmware so you can uninstall that software after you got your settings you want

What are some examples of programs you prefer launching through Firejail or other sandbox methods?

I recently did it with Discord

is it possible to install linux to a usb 2.0 drive for a headless computer that wont require much disk space?

The partitions don't get assigned a UUID and they don't end up in /etc/fstab either so I can't really do anything with them. I am running out of ideas.

Because Manjaro sometimes hangs or have unpredictable behavior (cannot switch user with KDE, sometimes does not want to sleep unless I close the laptop, random freeze of the system on external hdd eject).
Of course I could deal with it because it doesn't happens a lot but when it does it is frustrating. I heard fedora is a lot more secure too.
I tried fedora KDE live ISO and it felt the same but I want some long term user advice.

yes. install gnu+linux normally like you'd install it on a HDD and also install GRUB on the USB drive

just install lxinput

Is this scrot's fault or nitrogen's fault?
How the wallpaper is extended on the left I mean

Attached: 2018-08-29-1535584842_2560x1024.png (2560x1024, 1.12M)

Fedora is known for being bleeding edge, so not the most stable. In my experience you have a more reliable system by not using the last version but the oldstable while it still receives updates.
It's not the distro with the most pre-packaged software available, but it should have most of what you need.

Ubuntu LTS is stable and have lots of software available but unfortunately it includes proprietary software in the default install so I don't recommend it.

OpenSuSe is mostly free software, with the exception of some firmwares, like Fedora. The not rolling release version is very stable. The default KDE experience is known for being excellent and I really liked it. Yast makes system maintenance very easy. Unfortunately it doesn't have much pre packaged software available.

Personally I've used Debian for +10 years and it never failed me. It has lots of pre packaged software but installing things that are not in the official repos is considered bad practice, even more if you install it with dpgk ot apt.

would there need to be any specific changes i need to make to reduce the amount of disk writes? and will ext4 still be fine to use as the file system?

ext4 is fine if your installer doesn't support flash specific filesystems (f2fs is apparently a good alternative).
If you use ext4 you can disable journaling
tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sdX#
is the command IIRC.

Posting here instead of sqt or tpg.

For kicks and shits, I'm gonna try and see if I can passthrough the WACOM to a VM on my X220T. This is the result of running that script from the arch wiki:

hatebin.com/gmnahgzaom
(Not enough room to post the whole thing)

Any ideas on which devices it could be? I'm getting a soft feeling that it might be grouped into something I can't passthrough without losing all of the functionality, which would be a bummer

Attached: snibbidy snab.png (666x666, 34K)

Help anyone?

is there a better way to do this? I want to put sans/mono/serif and all the other noto fonts under the same match but can't find a way to achieve this

Attached: 2018-08-30 19:19:56.png (651x274, 44K)

The monitor to the left has less vertical pixels but X renders one big box for multihead support. In this case it's not really feh's fault but it is for your use case. Use github.com/naelstrof/maim instead.

do you suggest i use f2fs over ext4?

tScrot* not feh

you can't, but you could install i3blocks and pipe the focused window title to your i3bar, doesn't really require i3blocks but if you want it to update separately from the rest of i3status and instantly using singals you need it. and yeah, you can only change the color with x- (xsetroot). use feh or something to set background.

If you can, yes.

Why do you use GNU/Linux?

alright thanks

Because with it I can exercise much more control in how I do my computing, when compared to alternatives

It doesnt get in my way and lets me do what I want

>be in computer class teaching stuff for comptia 901
>guy there is trying to be really cool and has ubuntu even though we get a free windows 10
>tfw he spent all hour trying to figure out how to get a screenshot
>tfw i with windows had 3 ways to do it on my own
>tfw i went over to help him but he got all pissy that his ubuntu wasnt working
>tfw i tried helping him but he got mad
>he got a blue screen of death
>tfw told him even though windows sucks you should still get windows 10 just to adapt to school since its what we use
>tfw i smelled this guy from 10 feet away
>tfw he looked like shit
>tfw look at his computer and he had memepad
OOO
OH NO NO NO NOOO

Attached: basedd.png (420x420, 224K)

it lets me remove windows explorer

fuck off this is GNU/Linux thread

-freedums
-gratis
-security
-real terminal
-package managers with ten thousands of programs available
-plenty of alternatives for almost every task
-developer, diy and hacker friendly
-run on fucking anything from a toaster through a 20 year old P2 shitbox to the latest hardware
-server functions right at your desktop if you wish

not him but would f2fs also be good for raspbian on an sd card?

@67378597
>Things that never happened: the post
(You).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F2FS
>he motive for F2FS was to build a file system that, from the start, takes into account the characteristics of NAND flash memory-based storage devices (such as solid-state disks, eMMC, and SD cards),
>and SD cards
yes.

How to download Jow Forums-thread with title and original filenames? My curlfu is not strong.

even ssds? ive never seen anyone say to use f2fs on an ssd

you need to reboot windows for the disable fastboot and hiberation off to take effect.
>did you try turning it off and back on again?

best VM software in terms of performance and/or features? Looking solely just to run some windows programs on my thinkpad.

Also, which version of windows for performance? I've heard that 10 is better, but it runs just as shit as 7 does on my x220. It's a VM, so don't give me shit about how it's infecting me via VM.

Attached: 3128915551_472fcbeeb4_b.jpg (1024x664, 223K)

Well if it's a VM that's running 2 different os' at once it's going to be slower regardless. Why not use wine?

Wine doesn't run office unless I am mistaken. I like libre office, but I need to use MSOffice + Onedrive exceedingly more lately, so I'd prefer not to need dual booting for something like those.

it unironically did lol
I enjoy linux but i understand that if you want to thrive in a school setting you need windows lol

this is related though you simp