Do you think home Internet connections this century will max out at 1 Gbps? 10 Gbps? 100 Gbps?

Do you think home Internet connections this century will max out at 1 Gbps? 10 Gbps? 100 Gbps?

Attached: fiber to the home.jpg (300x150, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bahnhof.se/press/press-releases/2018/02/21/bahnhof-lanserar-10-000-mbit-s-till-privatpersoner-for-298-kr-man
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Can already get 10 gbits as consumer and 100 gbits is available for companies

>this century
>1 Gbps? 10 Gbps? 100 Gbps?
Are you serious?

Don't just say that. Give me your estimate.

I have 10Gbps at home, so definitely not.

The more we advance, the less steep would be the infrastructure development.
I believe anything that can push cat5e to the max can be adopted, so 10Gbps is possible in the future, say 2030-2040. 100Gbps? Maybe closer to the end of the century as a _home_ connection speed.

Where do you live (broadly)? Fiber is strictly 1 gbps in my corner of Yurop country with no plans for 10.

Stockholm, Sweden. I don't know about other ISPs but Banhof offers 10Gbps for 500SEK/month (~50€, but you only pay 30€ for the first 2 years).

Hardware capable of handling 10Gbps however, will run you quite a lot more.

he's already answered it but in general smaller niche isps are capable of offering 10gbps if they're serious but in general they're mostly limited to small runs in sweden

Are you sure those 10GB are a dedicated line and not shared? That's not self-evident even in the case of FTTH, it might just be marketing.

No, it's 10Gbps straight to me, the only reason I can even begin to use it is because I have a router, card, and SSD capable of handling it.

If you can read Swedish, here you go: bahnhof.se/press/press-releases/2018/02/21/bahnhof-lanserar-10-000-mbit-s-till-privatpersoner-for-298-kr-man

What do you do with it? I have 2 Gbps but didn't bother to upgrade to cat5e.

>2 Gbps
What hardware?

tfw you live in a village in a poor cental europe country, and best you can get is 16Mbps. and 150Mbps is max for the cities.

Attached: wojakcry.jpg (300x300, 23K)

It's worth noting you need fiber to get 10 gbits and having it installed costs around $2000 (will vary a few hundred dollars depending on where you live). It's a one time fee though and unless we switch technology from fiber optics you're pretty much set for life.

WiMax is a pain.

>It's worth noting you need fiber to get 10 gbits and having it installed costs around $2000
€250, at least that's what it was in my case.

No, because one gig FTTH connecyions are already ubiquitous here, costing something like 20€ on average, and telecoms are still investing heavily in infrastructure.

Should note however that this was specifically to connect to Bahnhof's own fibre network since they don't use the normal city net for obvious reasons. Probably more if you don't have any fibre at all and want to get hooked up to it since you can't use the pre-existing pipes and would have to dig.

Consumer interest probably drops quite a lot after 1Gbps since that's enough for everyone in a large family to stream 8K, and I have great doubts there will be media that demands higher bandwidth than that, especially with more efficient future encoding. I could envision some distributed hosting systems in the future where you opt-in for a service where your PC and your symmetric 1 gig line host random crap in exchange for smaller fees or actual money

>you're pretty much set for life.
Maybe if you own the property or if you don't plan to move out anytime soon.

My ISP is currently doing field testing of their NG-PON2 network, which will allow for 10/10gbps per residential customer, with business customers being able to achieve 40/40gbps, and the option for upgrades that would allow for potentially 80/80gbps.

Reasonably, 10/10gbps should see wider consumer market in the next 10-15 years. Not sure about speeds beyond that however, at least for consumer use.

Backhaul network is getting some changes too with my ISP talking about replacing 100/100gbps backbone links with 4000/4000gbps links.

>Consumer interest probably drops quite a lot after 1Gbps since that's enough
Consumer interest beyond 1Gbps drops because no one besides tech enthusiasts currently have a local network that can handle anything beyond 1gbps. 10GbE isn't super cheap, though affordable enough where people could potentially install it, it is still too expensive for most people to bother without good reason.

I just got "Fibre to the building" installed a few weeks ago
so it looks like Australian internet maxes out at 1.9mbps this century.

Its strange.. when I tried the compatibility tool on my ISPs website, they said i'd get 90mbps+ during peak time.
Oh well, locked in a two year contract now.. too late

Kinda pointless when there's nothing worth downloading.

Attached: 1526651881184.jpg (960x960, 38K)

>nothing worth downloading.
4 you

FioS is never going to happen because nobody wants to pay Comcast $7,000+ for the last mile hookup when they can get more data on their phone for a much lower price. 5G rolling out is the final straw.

People chose smartphones over wired desktops. Accept it and move on.

>nobody wants to pay Comcast $7,000+ for the last mile hookup
They're only charging me $500 + $500 activation

Attached: 2018-05-12 18_29_29.png (954x1651, 99K)

Getting everyone on fast and stable internet is far more important than raising the speed of individual people.

If everyone had fast and stable internet the options we would have would be unreal. Even if 100Gbps would be made available for individuals it wouldn't be that useful as it sounds because the rest of the userbase bottlenecks you.