What are some companies that run Linux/Apple instead of Windows for their daily machines?

What are some companies that run Linux/Apple instead of Windows for their daily machines?

Only company I can think of is Google

Attached: Screen-Shot-2012-04-24-at-23.581.jpg (900x423, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vr.google.com/vr180/apps/
statista.com/statistics/218089/global-market-share-of-windows-7/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Define "daily machine"
Where I work, we have a major percentage of workstations using Linux but not all.

Where the average employee uses a Linux machine

Basically I'm asking if there are any companies where everyone (or at least >90% of the employees) from the CEO to the guy over at HR uses a Linux machine

The regional research center I worked at for a while used only Macs and Debian or Ubuntu.

A shit-ton of startups use Macs, particularly those in the ap-dev or web-dev space.

I know one example vr.google.com/vr180/apps/

I work for IBM and we only use Linux/BSD.

no wonder IBM is dead

>Where the average employee uses a Linux machine
Train conductors and cashiers and many other companies here use Linux or Android instead of Windows.

Even a random logistics computer at a loading section for customers of a furniture shop used Linux, as did many ticket machines [hence also whoever maintains or uses these daily]. And so on. It's fucking everywhere.

It's just not the case that most people using Linux machines to do things are doing things "with Linux" as sysadmins. They're doing things with software running on it.

Google

Here in my third world country™ amazon uses a custom ubuntu for their wagies

Amazon uses Ubuntu everywhere. They're in partnership with canonical.

a lot of small companies use versions of debian tailored for them where i live.

I have seen a lot of startups doing that

um... you do recognize that amazon is loaded up with ubuntu for a reason?

I don't think companies like google or amazon would trust Microsoft.

According to the show "silicon valley", every single tech company uses macs, and every single engineer uses iphones.

Not terribly far from the truth, though android phones are more popular than that, probably 30% of devs. For laptops though it's 95% macbooks.
>t. Gay Area code autist since 2010

>daily machines
Does E-Payement-Terminals count ?
Last of Verifone's terminals boot on an 2.6xx linux kernel.

Attached: 136.jpg (292x283, 22K)

Why though ?
I've seen plenty of good programmers who use the typical ThinkPad/Linux Distro setup.
Why is it that the stereotypical SV engineer always uses a macbook ?
Just because muh pretty UI ?

Hard to believe considering Linux has less than half a percent market share.

Depends on where you look, and it's difficult to get total Linux market share because it's not a botnet. This says 1.71%.
statista.com/statistics/218089/global-market-share-of-windows-7/

the company I work for is an independent software developer subsidiary of a much larger general purpose company
we use Fedora Linux on all work stations since RHEL is our target platform
big owners (they're in another city) run on windows for all regular employees though
does that count?

what about SystemZ?

multiple reasons
>good high quality laptops (at least historically, newer models are shit)
>all that Unix goodness
>muh pretty UI
>coherent system look and behaviour by way of Apple's strict standards for app makers
>actual device and software compatibility
>status symbol
the software compatibility option in particular is huge
having no photoshop, MS Office or professional video editing software is killer for a ton of users

Express Oil Change runs lubuntu on all their computers

>what companies run Linux/Apple
>can only think of Google
Did you consider Apple? It's obvious, but hey.

Actually, pretty much every company doing online stuff needs to run stuff on linux. Not because it has better tools, or anything. It's just more widespread than you think. Linux is on your networking devices, minix is embedded into every intel cpu, and you could consider all of the android phones as a very distant linux distro. I wouldn't be suprised if AC machines at my workplace did run linux, I wouldn't bat an eye if my nightlamp used fuckin 10year old debian.

Uber
I used Linux/Windows for a while as a developer. They are very unproductive environment compared to OSX

windows is basically visual studio: the operating system when it comes to development but how do you find macos more productive than linux?

For desktop computers, maybe
But enterprise machines run Linux

well, google uses windows in their call centers

Red Hat. I believe a lot of them run Fedora.

Attached: almondactivation.jpg (720x611, 49K)

Google is mostly Mac and Linux because they're a web company, most startups are because they service mobile apps and Android development can be done on anything, but Apple development tools only run on a Mac. Literally the only reason I can think for why a company uses windows is because they support legacy software, or users are more comfortable with Windows machines. But compared to having a usable terminal with a logical file system and package managers, windows it's cancer.

you can run bash on windows

Apple uses all mac

Apple uses linux for its servers and Windows for all its production facilities, not even they would use fagOS for anything serious.

I don't have to worry about drivers fucking up, don't have to worry about glitches in the interface, don't have to worry about finding archaic ways to install things, don't have to worry about compatibility issues for any widely used library or programming language. All that time that I used to spend trying to fix my OS has been freed up and know I use it to create and build things. It just works.

I believe Pixar uses RedHat on most of their workstations

>Apple uses linux for its servers
No the fucking don’t. Are you retarded? The facility i work at is all Mac server

Sounds like MS is a monopoly. Oh wait. It is one.

Whot?

Attached: running windows.jpg (3264x2448, 746K)

Can't say specific names, but a lot of my clients are large animation farms in BC, they do everything from animations for Ford, Japanese news channels, and big budget movies. And the majority of them are on Ubuntu.

so basically you think it's still 2005
last workplace I worked for was a bring your own laptop start up and the mac guys had more problems with various open source solutions we were using than the two of us running linux

Idk if RHEL, but I can confirm they're big on Linux.

Our thin clients run CentOS to reach a session hosted on a Windows Server.

OP just wants pic related to happen

Attached: 1.jpg (542x749, 118K)

I don't even want to imagine how much of a hassle it was to make the image apply correctly on that arrangement.

Valve? I think since their partnership with Canonical, they use Linux

oh my meme

what garbage are you using such that there's no linux support for easy installation and compatibility?

>All that time that I used to spend trying to fix my OS has been freed up

great, go for a walk, drink some raindrops or shit in the street because now that you've emptied your wallet to keep your memebook pro upgraded and repaired, things that are free are the only things you can afford to do

It is just a wrap around.

This is all fud and you know it. You either are lying or just got out of some web dev boot camp.

Stop talking if you don't know anything.