Serif releases Affinity Publisher free beta, taking on Adobe InDesign

affinity.serif.com/en-us/publisher/

The creators of Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, two applications that in the span of three years went from a tiny blip on the map to being regarded as formidable opponents of Adobe's Photoshop and Illustrator applications, which have gained the favor of many designers due to their lack of a subscription requirement, is now going after InDesign. Today they've just released the first beta of Affinity Publisher which is free to download.

Attached: [email protected] (1760x1300, 700K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hY22H7_Epl4
wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap#GIMP_2.10.x
wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap#GIMP_3.2
gimp.org/docs/userfaq.html#i-do-a-lot-of-desktop-publishing-related-work-will-you-ever-support-cmyk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nice. I hope we get an alternative for every app in the Creative Cloud suite. Adobe had it coming by forcing all of their customers to pay for a subscription.

"free" as in "free beta version of our paid commercial software"

Adobe could use competition, but all proprietary software is just kikes kiking kikes kiking goyims.

I'm pretty sure libre publishing software exists, I think the LaTeX guy did something in that field.

>implying there's anything wrong with GIMP
>implying there's literally anything wrong with Inkscape
Who is that affinity guy again?

Attached: 1524104163143.jpg (500x493, 44K)

So what's the true cost of "free"?

>implying there's anything wrong with GIMP

Well, I've been using both GIMP and Inkscape for about 13 years now and there are definitely problems.

>no CMYK support
>no 32 bpp support
>no layer styles
>no adjustment layers
>no smart filters
>no clipping masks
>gradient maps can't be edited after being applied
>can't edit rotated text without losing your rotation
>can't select multiple layers at once
>no shape tool

The fact that Affinity Photo is only 3 years old and can already do all of these things while GIMP is over 22 years old and their own roadmap says these features are still many years away makes me sad.

>implying there's literally anything wrong with Inkscape

Inkscape's featureset is heavily tied to (and thus limited by) the SVG specification, so if you work with SVG web graphics, it's great. If you need to do stuff that goes out of the SVG spec, you're toast.

>no support for multiple canvases, and no plans for it since the SVG spec doesn't support it
>layering system is a mess, layer panel doesn't even show objects
>no CMYK support
>gradient system has steeper learning curve compared to Photoshop and Affinity Designer

Attached: 1535068150654.jpg (1280x1024, 265K)

IMPORTANT QUESTION BELOW:

Does Affinity Photo have "content-aware fill" or at least a fucking spot healing brush (or at least a god damn fucking clone stamp tool)?

it it does, I will ditch my Adobe photoshop subscription

it has clone, patch and something similar to the spot heal brush

neat, I'm gonna give it a try then.

Hopefully the developers who make this product won't abandon it after 2 years

>Affinity Designer
I own it and begin worst that freehands and illustrator CS2.

Yes. Check it out.

youtube.com/watch?v=hY22H7_Epl4

They've been around for more than two years already. I use this shit at work. It sure crashes less than Photoshop.

>Affinity Photo
>54,99 €

>Affinity Designer
>54,99 €

That's actually pretty cool.
I wish them good luck.

is this not cmyk?

Attached: 1504274841072.png (310x312, 15K)

Damn

>>no CMYK support
>>no 32 bpp support
>>no layer styles
>>no adjustment layers
Try using GIMP 2.10, kid

Alright I have played around with some RAW images for a little bit now and it looks very promising indeed. Content aware fill and clone stamp tool works aswell

The interface and keybinds are very similar to Photoshop so it will be an easy transition my dudes

also, looking at task manager, Photoshop has 9 fucking processes running even though I have disabled every Adobe autostart program and I haven't even launched any Adobe program on my computer this session (and that alone makes me want to switch).

>no Linux version
Every time.

Let's take a look here.

wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap#GIMP_2.10.x

>32 bpp support
Yes.

>layer styles
Not coming until 3.2, which is years away.

wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap#GIMP_3.2

>adjustment layers
Also not coming until 3.2.

>CMYK support
No, and there's no current plans, and it's low on their priority list.

gimp.org/docs/userfaq.html#i-do-a-lot-of-desktop-publishing-related-work-will-you-ever-support-cmyk

*GNU/Linux

Wouldn't be worth the development costs considering nobody uses linux

They have addressed this explicitly on the forums. Their main concern is that they won't sell anywhere near enough copies to make back the costs and time of developing it. They need to know if there's a sizable enough market for Linux to justify diving into it.

Attached: kVhgjhkvh.png (392x200, 39K)

How does Photo compare to Photoshop these days? What are the main features it's lacking that Photoshop boasts?

Fucking this

if Affinity photo would've been available for Linux, I would finally be able to switch to Linux

Are you sure?

CMYK color picker ≠ CMYK colorspace

Why not?

Involuntary subscription. Adobe literally boasts that as a "feature."

>Nobody uses Linux because there's no software for it
>There's no software for Linux, therefore nobody uses it
>Nobody uses Linux because there's no software for it
>...

Not enough for me to believe. There is a 0% chance Affinity Photo can match everything Photoshop can do when it's one-time $80 payment and PS charges $120 for a yearly subscription. I'm just interested in knowing what Photoshop still has going for it.

where is cmyk used? whats wrong with adobergb

CMYK is necessary if you're making something with the intent to print it.

Printers use CMYK. It's used by professionals when creating print designs like posters, signs, billboards, etc.

Attached: Poster-Printing-Replica_500-x-1170px_.jpg (1170x500, 215K)

>using linux

But who the hell is going to make posters? I don't buy any and I never look at billboards either since I never go outside

ok

If, for example, you're a graphic designer working on a movie or concert poster for a client, or a sign for an event, either of which are primarily intended to be printed and displayed on a physical medium, you're probably going to want to work with CMYK.

Attached: il_570xN.892272061_hdio.jpg?version=2.jpg (570x622, 60K)

*a movie poster

Professional graphic designers work on print media (brochures, box art, posters, signs, etc.) all the time for work. For these people, the lack of a CMYK colorspace would be a disappointment and probably even a dealbreaker.

Attached: make-brochure_v1_1000x560.jpg (1000x560, 149K)

alright, so i should be converting adobe rgb to CMYK when printing

Honestly 50 bucks for a graphics suite is what i call completely reasonable.

The classic tech chicken and egg problem

Can't use software with an edgy logo such as that

Actually, it's about $49.99 each. Although even then it's still much less than what Adobe charges each year to use Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign (about $600/yr if you choose all CC apps, $950/yr if you pay monthly outside of contract, $750/yr if you buy the three using the single app plan for each).

At least half of the posts itt are by the shill.

> Whether cutting out objects, creating masks or selectively applying adjustments, you can make extremely precise selections – even down to individual strands of hair – with ease.

Yeah I bet this is bullshit considering PS can't do this, at all, on more difficult backgrounds.

You should be working in CMYK the entire time to avoid color changes when you need to print.

Attached: 2812.png (420x240, 26K)

> edit text, then rotate.

Damn I wish saving money was always this easy.

There is Scribus, which is the FOSS equivalent. One big problem that I would like to see fixed in the FOSS graphics applications is the lack of horizontal integration between each other.

One of the big advantages InDesign and Publisher both have is the integration with the rest of their fellow suite applications.

>no Linux builds
DROPPED

>I'm pretty sure libre publishing software exists, I think the LaTeX guy did something in that field.
Scribus, LaTeX itself, etc.

it just looks like a modified adidas logo.

Affinity photo is actually $50

If you need to do it more than once you are wasting so much time. And time is money. You would know this if you weren't a NEET.

Do people actually use Affinity as an alternative to Adobe CC? I'm all for out-jewing Adobe, but their software is "industry standard" for a reason...