How do I go about finding a good monitor?

How do I go about finding a good monitor?
>TN looks horrible
>IPS has horrible backlight bleed
>VA seems good but people are saying it's just a meme with no explanation

Attached: 1535621765346-g.jpg (896x1024, 184K)

Other urls found in this thread:

knowyourmeme.com/memes/apu-apustaja
youtube.com/watch?v=tX_gqj2JVVI
tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

Attached: 56F65D02-1502-4AE0-A415-E89F468F61CF.gif (274x156, 1.96M)

Someone help

My Dell ips has almost no noticeable backlight bleed

What's boomer about nicotine gum? It increases my performance in class. Not like I can pull out a vape or fag to smoke.

VA is gimped ips. Ips has no backlight bleed what the fuck are you talking about. Maybe try amkled or wait for micro led?

What is that second thing on the shelf?

My Dell ips is more backlight bleed than monitor

I just bought a VA curved panel after years of using a shitty oem 60hz lcd monitor. I gotta admit the only thing I remorse about this monitor is dark shades response times. colorful motion looks good enough, but darker shades blur too much. the good : No glow, no bleed, good enough viewing angles, amazing contrast and deep blacks. the bad: terrible gtg response times. this is my first time into not-lcd/tn monitors. i have yet to see ips irl.

VA has higher contrast and deeper blacks. My Eizo FG2421 has better blacks than my old CRTs.

IPS panels are notorious for having backlight bleed

Just wait a year or so for OLED monitors. Or maybe Apple got MicroLED sorted out, which is even better.

>TN looks great, especially a new 1440p 144hz one
>IPS has horrible ghosting
>VA seems the worst according to people
>CRT seems to be the best according to people
From my personal experience

Attached: 212.jpg (1418x644, 196K)

> IPS has horrible backlight bleed
it's not really noticeable on high end monitors

What are some negatives about OLED?

CRT

The O is for organic so as it ages it breaks down and colors get worse.

VA is basically just IPS with slightly worse view angles, mild burn in and strange ghosting issues. If I have a sharp vertical color change on my screen, for example the difference between the black background of YouTube's theater mode and the rest of the YouTube page's white background, a line slightly darkened pixels will extend across the entire screen horizontally from where the color change is (from the top and bottom of theater mode in this example).

Yeah I've got an expensive 1080p Dell monitor and it's pretty much perfect.

But everyone always wants the best for cheap.

i have a va.
pretty good.
no regrets.
chinese cartoons looks great.

VA is good I'd take over IPS anyday.

Apparently the blues fade over the time and they have quite severe burn-in issues. Also they've been promised "next year" for about the last three years because nobody cares about the desktop space + large OLEDs are not easy to make.

> i have yet to see ips irl.
wat. just look at your phone.

>OLED
>2016+2
Gross, prepare for permanently stuck dark borders after accidentally watching something in 4:3 for a couple of hours.

If the monitor is displaying black in a darkened room, is it brighter than the rest of the room?

Monitors and TV IPS panels are a lot different than the ones that are on phones retard.

I meant monitor ips. but if they're anything like my xiaomi's screen, then ghosting is horrible, much worse than VA. I suppose phones are low end ips then?

I love my VA monitor, but the ghosting is noticeable when scrolling through text, or things with well-defined borders like a thumbnail on Jow Forums. It's not a huge deal and it definitely makes up for it for being 2k 75Hz with excellent contrast, but it might not be something you enjoy.

apu apustaja
knowyourmeme.com/memes/apu-apustaja

Thats why you stack two panels (IPS + monochrome) like so

youtube.com/watch?v=tX_gqj2JVVI

VA has better contrast than IPS, but it has worse motion blur than IPS.

So, do you want high refresh rate? Don't get VA
Do you want high contrast? Get VA

VA has shit view angles, and black smear up the ass
and text rendering issues

TN only has the view angle downside.

>order one of each from amazon
>try it out
>return the others
if you end up being retarded then do it properly

Warning OP. DO NOT (do not) ask any board on Jow Forums for advice. They will tell you the opposite of what you're looking for. Jow Forums has convinced themselves that their Grandma's CRT looks better than modern 4k displays, in the same way /a/ will recommend some moeblob shit that they've convinced themselves is peak deep, in the same way /co/ convinced everyone to watch MLP in 2012. Go to plebbit if you want a legitimate answer.

>stuck dark borders after accidentally watching something in 4:3 for a couple of hours
It's the same as having your display turned off, brainlet.

>4k displays
>limited content
>FHD looks like potato

Depends on the quality control.

Ever monitor is good if you dont have beta-vision™

by the cheapest one you can get on ebay with the resolution you want
everything else is meme shit

Maybe shit ones. Mine has zero backlight bleed. What every IPS panel does have is IPS glow, which is only an issue with shit panels and only in exaggerated scenarios where you turn out all the lights and show a blank black screen at maximum brightness and take a photo of it. It's not noticeable in real world usage.

I literally don't have backlight bleed in my monitor. The first time I used ips I was amazed at what I was missing.

I've got 2 IPS monitors and they both have backlight bleed. All IPS monitors have it, some are severe, some aren't. Stop lying.

best meme I've bought desu

Attached: benq ex3200r.jpg (1280x960, 66K)

>has 2 bargain bin monitors
>all ips monitors
Kill yourself faggot. You can test for backlight bleed easily and I did on all my devices/monitors and none of them have it despite their being amoled and ips.

CRT

Attached: 1396016818020.jpg (1024x768, 374K)

>I found the monitor on the right in the dumpster
OK buddy. Not everyone lives off of neetbux

CRT looks fantastic for shit that was made to be viewed on it - PS2 gen and earlier. For regular computing (not old games) the tradeoff for color accuracy and depth is not worth low resolutions and physical size, just get a new Dell IPS monitor
Plasma is still the best for HD content, OLED eventually will be
Different screens for different purposes

Attached: 1533121830971.png (819x675, 199K)

AMOLED isn't IPS... you autistic retard. I don't think you're baiting, because you genuinely remind me of autistic retards.

>amoled/ips
Imagine being this retarded

I spend all my time staring at a monitor in a pitch black room, so contrast and good black levels (so shit is actually visible in dark vidya/on low gamma), so I've been meaning to buy a VA panel.

>Imagine being this retarded

yes, imagine being you, someone who believes that all IPS monitors don't suffer from backlight bleed when 8 out of 10 IPS monitors suffers from it.

you're either an autistic retard, a shill or both, which is it?

TN has also the worst color reproduction by far.

Jow Forums tier reading comprehension
It is very easy to test for backlight bleed and none of my ips monitors have it.

Yeah but humans are not very sensitive to small color changes. A quality TN monitor viewed head-on wont have noticeably shit colors. Our eyes are much more sensitive to luma (backlight bleed) than chroma (imperfect colors).

Wait for LCDs with micro-LED backlights. Should offer significant improvement in contrast.

according to Rtings burn-in test it takes approximately 1000 hours of the same static image being displayed at max brightness before any burn-in occurs. But yes it is an inevitability. The only reason to go OLED is if you're planning to upgrade again in a few years when display tech is hopefully a lot better.

Too bad SED/FED displays were canned...

Attached: 1355682644512.jpg (460x276, 28K)

but at least it can render text properly, something high hz IPS and 90% of VA panels cannot do.

8m10 monitors 10 years ago maybe grandpa

Yes they are. You can very easily differentiate ips and VA. The whole backlight thing is a meme from people using outdated or refurbished monitors. You can very easily tell when the tree in your wallpaprr/video/game looks nothing like a real life tree.

it was possible to buy 13 inch OLED laptops two years ago.

whats its input lag and can it run at 96hz?

>implying MLP isn't deep
It's not my cup of tea, but you have to admit MLP is the Madoka of blatant toy-shilling cartoons.

My Korean PVA is 2560x1440, has about 10ms input lag, runs at 96hz and could probably do 120, looks fantastic, and i love the fact that it has no scaler. i got it for about $300 3 years ago. its a qnix qx2710 dvi only

please name 1 monitor that is better

thats because you set the brightness too high on your crt. crts have true blacks, lcds do not

Any 1440p 144hz monitor which are going for 350 now.

do tou have any source suggesting we will actually get oled monitors? ive beeb waiting years

susceptible to burn in and color shift as the red green and blue leds degrade at different rates

Its 4 or 5ms 60Hz, came from a 1ms TN panel and can't notice any difference in input lag though.

>8/10
>all

Attached: Every_Dumb_Frogposter.png (611x519, 3K)

they have oled phone screens, oled tablets, and oled tvs. they can make oleds now in 5", 10", and 55", but not 27"? not even 17" to 32"? come on

since all lcds cant display true blacks, the answer is yes. or was your question rhetorical?

not really

what monitor? is it 1080p or a different resolution?

>Grandma's CRT looks better than modern 4k displays
hmm well lets compare the CRT my grandma gave to me for free with my TN 1080p gaymen monitor.

CRT:
-better color
-better motion
-input lag probably less than 1 μsec
TN:
-weighs less
-more pixels
-less volume

personally i dont care about the size or weight of my monitor, since i never move it and i have enough desk space for it. so that leaves resolution of one of the benefits that TN has. so then its a trade off at that point and i think CRTs have more benefits than TNs do.

crts have better blacks and less input lag. if you disagree, you are wrong

all lcds are incapable of displaying true blacks

source?

you seem to not know what input lag is. the absolute rarest of the best lcds have about 8ms input lag. you are referencing pixel response time specs. your monitor likely has about 30ms input lag

do they really have sub 15ms input lag? if so, this pleases me greatly. can you name one 144hz 1440p with sub 15ms input lag?

because only boomers are usually stupid enough to be actually addicted to this shit in the first place.

>t. 34 years old, quit 10 years ago

(Not the user you replied to)
asus pg278qr
I have it, costed me $600 but worth the money.
144hz, 1440p, 1ms lag
I had doubts about TN but it isn't even that bad.

>cost me $600
>it's not that bad...

Has 14ms total lag

>VA is basically just IPS with slightly worse view angles,
VA is a variant of TN.
>a line slightly darkened pixels will extend across the entire screen horizontally from where the color change is (from the top and bottom of theater mode in this example).
You bought a cheap panel. VA doesn't normally do this.

>1ms lag
no. again, you are confusing pixel response time with input lag. the absolute fastest lcds are about 8ms input lag, with 30ms being average

Why the fuck is Fanged Noumena on that shelf? Did /lit/ make that picrel?

14ms is really good for input lag. I really can't do 60hz tho, since it would be a downgrade from my current 96hz

You mean Fanged Noumena?

Unironically based and redpilled. Notice how everyone in this thread defends their preferred monitor by calling everyone else poorfags.

very susceptible to burn-in, especially as they age. Even on mobile displays this becomes a problem after about 2 years.

All monitors are shit.

>current year
>not connecting your computer directly to your optic nerve

Attached: 1528402570693.jpg (600x800, 61K)

What does VA offer that makes it better than TN?
Are the colors less shitty?

IPS is fine. Backlight bleed is blown out of proportion, it's not bad if you get a decent quality panel and not some $99 shitter. VA really is bad IMO, I bought one and the vertical viewing angles were so bad it was driving me nuts. There was nowhere I could sit that allowed me to see the entire screen because no matter what some region had inverted colors. TN is pointless nowadays unless you think you're a pro gamer with sub-1ms reaction times.

why is backlight bleed a bad thing anyway

I just want a nice 16:10 34" 4k-equivalent monitor with no curve, nice color reproduction, good gtg, and 90hz
For less than $600 usd
What gives, my IPS 4k cost like $350, why is everything else so expensive and curved?

It makes dark scenes look bad because there's this weird light grey halo effect

any dudes ITT who can recommend me a good 1440p 144hz monitor? preferably IPS but TN is okay too, as long as its cheap

Attached: 1534388925583.jpg (921x894, 108K)

Depends what you are using it for
>TN for for fast response time and low input lag, dirt cheap most of the time
>VA has pretty good contrast and blacks, I like to use mine for reading
>IPS has the most brilliant colors of them

It obviously varies from monitor to monitor and there are many different panel manufacturing technologies that leads to differences from brand to brand
Here is an interesting link on panel technologies, a bit outdated though.
>tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

I just get mine for free from my work

Unauthorized copying is theft, user.