/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1 (embed)

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56 /w Freesync, 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: die-shot-1260x709.jpg (1260x709, 950K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/3MbP8Y
pcpartpicker.com/list/9yG4ZR
pcpartpicker.com/list/h2mMMZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/JfxBzY
youtube.com/watch?v=hKCXdOC5tAo&t=275s
youtube.com/watch?v=neOMts6Isb4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_S5EbJpAQ&t=49s
pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1
pcpartpicker.com/product/sMM323/evga-supernova-g3-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0550
pcpartpicker.com/list/FqWQKB
pcpartpicker.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I made the new general because I wanted to share this story. I ordered a Taichi x470 Ultimate and a Ryzen 2700x from newegg in a bundle, and immediately after opening the shipping box from newegg, this is what I saw: an opened processor.

Attached: IMG_20180828_141812.jpg (3024x4032, 3.21M)

Was the box just popped open in transit? No. Look at the residue on the processor. Someone didn't like the overclock on this, returned it, and newegg sold it to me as new rather than used.

They offered to do a replacement, but that would take two weeks and I have to start school soon. I have newegg premier, but at this point that's clearly a waste of money. I can't even trust them to not send me a used CPU as new.

I'll be using amazon from now on. Fuck newegg.

Attached: IMG_20180828_142811.jpg (3024x4032, 3.3M)

Samilar thing happened to a friend, he bought an i7 8700k from amazon that had signs that it was used. Probably because it was a bottom of the silicon lottery chip.

I don't plan on overclocking at all so I don't really care so long as it's stable at stock speeds, it's just the fraudulent nature of it that pisses me off, especially when I'm paying for their subscription that's supposed to give me elevated service.

Now that I've got my 360mm 'AIO' would pushing a 1080ti (liquid cooled) to 2ghz let me get 120-144hz at high-max settings for pretty much everything at 1440p?? I know 144hz is a meme, but I at least want double what I'm currently getting.

pcpartpicker.com/list/3MbP8Y

What can you guys say?
As for the Audio and graphic, I have both left off the old PC so they're $0.
I also have an old SATA 3GB/s 7200 rpm HDD Western Digital WD Caviar Black 1 TB (WD1001FALS) (3.5")

As for the RAM I have no extra money ATM and I plan on buying another stick from same manufacturer and with same specs of 8GB or rocking 16 GB.

Also what can you say about going with i5 8400 default box cooler? Should be fine, right?

I have an i7-4790 (no K) and now I need a CPU cooler. I was thinking of going by LI's recommendation and buying a Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400, would that be good enough?

Dont cheap out on anything if you want your pc to outlast the current gaming gen

pcpartpicker.com/list/9yG4ZR
This is my current build.
Give me your opinion on it, please.

Rather get a gold evga or seasonic PSU. Also sometimes the higher wattage can cost less so don't be afraid to get anything up to 550w

>Dont cheap out on anything if you want your pc to outlast the current gaming gen
Don't let him get a 8400 either if he wants to outlast current gen. Rather ryzen bru

Is it more reliable in the long term?

I would recommend ryzen if you have a $200-$300 budget

pcpartpicker.com/list/h2mMMZ

Looking to build something that'll last seven or eight years. Also could use a recommendation for a monitor below $125. That said, if there aren't any good ones on sale right now, I can wait another four years.

>Is it more reliable in the long term?
Yeah it is. Rule no.1 of PC building is don't cheap out on a PSU. Evga and seasonic have solid warranties that can cover your rig I believe since a faulty PSU can fry all your components
>I would recommend ryzen if you have a $200-$300 budget
Yeah he should get a 2600x

Both of those people were me,I appreciate the advice.

pcpartpicker.com/list/JfxBzY
Alright, what is your opinion on my freshly picked psu?

Hi help me guys. I have a dilemma. I want to play some games like Dark Souls 3 and F4 and meme games. I dont care to play in 720 or lower resolutions desu! I have already an Intel G2030 (3.00 GHz) RAM 4GB
I have a little more than 120$ that I could use to get a:
- GTX 1050 (~$120).
- GT 1030 ($90) + Intel i5 2500 (~$50)

1050 + g2030; I had read that it could cause a bootleneck, but i watched some (mediumquality?) playgames with a ** F4 with good FPS. The 100% CPU could damage something or is just nothing? He doesnt seens to have problems lol

1030 + i5 2500: I watched this *YouTube channel with this Gcard and a G4560 (is almost the same than the i5) and can play DS3 in good quality.

Looks like the 1030 already can run many games, probably even with the g2030? I also could just buy the 1050 and get later (like years)other good motherboard and cpu
What you guys recommend me to do? Thanks for reading.
videos:
** F4 1050 G2030 youtube.com/watch?v=hKCXdOC5tAo&t=275s

* G4560 + 1030 DS3 youtube.com/watch?v=neOMts6Isb4
* youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_S5EbJpAQ&t=49s

Attached: 1510093564846.jpg (604x453, 116K)

I would dumpster dive or just buy something small over cheaping out that much.
Seriously.

>Both of those people were me,I appreciate the advice.
Let me tell you why atleast.
8400 is 6cores 6 threads
2600 is 6cores 12 threads. It makes a significant difference in ability.
Just cause the 2600 performs alil like %5 maximum difference in games doesn't mean its not the more powerful CPU.

I agree with you pal, there seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding

Try one of these
pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1
pcpartpicker.com/product/sMM323/evga-supernova-g3-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0550
Whilst that corsair model is fine I did tell you that seasonic and evga were the best. And evga has the best customer service of all manufacturers.
My option are also cheaper. The seasonic I added is cheapest I think but still solid quality

>performs 5% worse
>more powerful cpu
?

What is the difference between g2 and g3?
I am new to building computers and this is my first build, so I apologize for any annoyance.

This is very sad.
I don't wanna touch your post with a ten foot pole I'm so repulsed.
Can't you try sucking dick for cash. Can't you save? If your really that poor I think you should be doing other things like making money rather than playing games.

Attached: Bane_front_C7bUAFHpkO.facecrop_7d5a0d4e.jpg (150x167, 5K)

Is freesync at 55-70Hz a poor investment?
I'll likely get a 1440p monitor which supports freesync, but I have a 1050 ti. I know I can't use my GPU with freesync but if AMD release something good around Q1/Q2 2019 and I decide to upgrade, how bad of an experience will freesync at 55 to 70Hz be? I'll mostly be playing casual FPS games like battlefield and maybe some RPGs or racing games. I have no need for 144hz. So far I've been playing with fast sync 75hz @ 1080p and it's been pretty nice.

Attached: 1528314723710.jpg (480x720, 42K)

Attached: lol.jpg (304x166, 9K)

8400 reaching 100% CPU usage whilst 2600 sitting at 70%.
You tell me which one will last longer. Its optimisation that's holding the 2600 back

Yeah, i could save and I want to play games too rather than caring about money.

Just arrived, who jelly?

Attached: Screenshot_20180830-142532.png (1080x1920, 862K)

Don't know. Too lazy to research but I'd presume the g3 is the latest model and g2 is the older.
They'll both be the same probably just a small/minor revision

How much did you pay for this 2 year old GPU?

Except it only happens in 1 game. Saying you need more than 6 threads for gaming when 80% of the population still use 4 threads just fine is retarded

>Gloating on the bunghole of the internet about buying a two year old gpu

Attached: Durr.jpg (300x168, 7K)

>Yeah, i could save and I want to play games too rather than caring about money.
You have to do one before the other. People that can't save up tend to be miserable because the waste their money on shit that won't last for a short-term gain rather than saving/investing in the long term. Buy your budget thing but within a year you'll be wanting to upgrade something else. Go big or go suck a hobos dick

311,taxes included

Are you sure that paying MSRP for a 2 year old GPU that is likely to be superseded in 6 months time a good idea? I'm not being smug, just want o know your opinion. I'm on the verge of making such a purchase myself.

I don't give a fuck, 300 is pennies for me, I only have a fhd monitor, and am not a gaymer faggot

>bought 1060 3gb last month
>1070 can now be had for $50 more
regret

suit yourself, my good man.

As disgusted as I am...
get the g4560 for sure. Alright
Then try get a second hand 1050ti and no less! Alright
Do you know if your mobo is compatible with the parts?
Is it ddr3 ram?

Anyone?

I had a GTX 970 and today I installed my new GTX 1080Ti. Should I use DDU to reinstall the drivers or keep using the same drivers?

I bought my for 4 years and i pretty happy, it never give me a problem! I dont even know that much about PC. I just a regular person that wants to play some games and yeah Im not rich to waste $500 to play DS3.
Also im not sure that hobos had that much money lmao

Yes.

>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots

Oi! You got any performance data for that?

>Just arrived, who jelly?
>2 year old tech
Certainly

Attached: CKy9yVNVAAEdTVv.jpg (340x340, 16K)

Acer KG221Q
AOC G2460VQ6
Both 1080p 75Hz TN
You can go cheaper if you're fine with 60Hz but then you don't need suggestions.

$300 isnt msrp
$260 is msrp.
This is highway robbery
We've been on 4 threads for a long time. You really think were never moving on? You think Intel is using more cores and threads now because they know its the future?
You think game devs won't take this opportunity to give more power to the people?
Ryzen 2400g(low/budget) has 4c/8t
Its the future dude. Accept it. And people like to have a CPU for 5 years atleast. And in five years it'll be the norm.
Adoption is already picking up.
>happens in 1 game
Not one game. You can compare any benchmarks and you'll see the 2600 cpu usage minimum %20 under the 8400.

Yes to what? Your mobo is compatible to g4560? You have ddr4 ram?
You say you don't know much so I need to know more so I can help you

>all these gpulets butthurt they fell for rgb 800$ gaymer memes when my "2 year old tech" is the best price/performance on the market

You'll survive.
>I had a GTX 970 and today I installed my new GTX 1080Ti. Should I use DDU to reinstall the drivers or keep using the same drivers?
Uninstall is safer. I've heard that there can be conflict but its rare. Better be safe than sorry. Won't take too long anyways

>Oi! You got any performance data for that?
Someone has done a break down in another thread.
The $ to performance is based off of nvidia own personal released data.
Wtf are you talking about

Can anybody help me? I understand that the question is higly subjective but I at least want to hear some opinions on the subject.

>You think game devs won't take this opportunity to give more power to the people?
Meanwhile games run the same as 6 years ago. Games won't become more demanding any time soon, not until new consoles come out.
>You can compare any benchmarks and you'll see the 2600 cpu usage minimum %20 under the 8400.
What's the point having a cpu that runs at low usage.
>B-but think about the potential it has. It's nice to have 12 threads even though the most usage I see is 50%!
No one cares about that stuff as long as the cpu runs fine with no problems currently. In 5 years both 8400 and 2600 will be shit so your "futureproofing" arguement is invalid. And now the 8400 is the best value option.

>mfw my GTX 970 still holding up to this day
we're making it to 2020 believe it faggots

Attached: 1478782193937.jpg (470x595, 191K)

Guess I'll have to just keep those two in mind since I've just remembered I have a large expense coming up. I assume that I won't have to ask again in early 2019?

true if 1080p, and if low settings then you're making it till 2025

Personally I'd say wait. Freesync monitors are only gonna get cheaper unless you see a killer deal.
Doesn't freesync just stop screen tearing?
Anything wrong with your current monitor?
I'm not even interested in sync tech since I'm completely satisfied with my 5 year old 60hz 21". Feels perfectly fine. I think at that low level 75hz its basically a marketing meme and unnecessary

pcpartpicker.com/list/FqWQKB
Check it, rate it, Formulate your opinion on it.

Attached: does.jpg (1203x721, 86K)

oK Thanks.
>get the g4560 for sure. Alright
g4560 is just the Youtube guys cpu. I just using his cpu to a reference to a i5 2500(that is better actually). So I could figurete out if i buy the 1030 AND i5 2500 or just the 1050.
>Then try get a second hand 1050ti and no less! Alright
This would work fine with a G2030? or what cpu should i need?
>Do you know if your mobo is compatible with the parts?
What ever graphic card is compatible with the my motherboard is a h61m-f.
>Is it ddr3 ram?
Yes.

Rolling along fine and dandy still.

Attached: Speccy.jpg (894x588, 262K)

Attached: ok this is epic.png (1280x720, 998K)

uhhh where does this go

Attached: 20180830_221138.jpg (4032x1960, 2.12M)

show us the chassis

google 'prostate stimulation guide' and it should be a good starting place

If you could upgrade one component what would it be and why?

Attached: 2018-08-30_16-15-28.png (768x380, 45K)

>Meanwhile games run the same as 6 years ago. Games won't become more demanding any time soon, not until new consoles come out.
Your right. I think next gen is 2020. That would make his CPU 2 years old. Also game devs are already implementing multi-threading in AAA games. They've already started. Just like select games are already jumping onto that waste of time ray-tracing.
>What's the point having a cpu that runs at low usage
So you know it can keep up with more demanding games. Do you know what a cpu bottleneck does? Causes stuttering and low fps
>>B-but think about the potential it has. It's nice to have 12 threads even though the most usage I see is 50%!
Rude...
>And now the 8400 is the best value option.
I fear all the stuttering he'll get with all his background apps. Never a problem with ryzen thanks to threads. But your %100 usage makes it a bitch that you have to shut everything down just to play a game. And yes I know that's a stupid point but a convience point
Yeah are you pushing an inferior product just because it nets at most 5% more performance?

new or used parts?
electronics is expensive in my slav country

Attached: pepe thinking.jpg (786x590, 61K)

Used gpus if they weren't used for crypto mining

Looks good now. Think you should wait for others opinions though. Maybe try 2moro there'll be more people.
Oh okay. Then rather can you get your hands on a 2500 and a 1050ti. I think that should really be your minimum
The g2030 shouldn't even be looked at dual core is over a decade old dude!!
Any GPU is compatible with any mobo. But for your own sake get what I said if you can. Get alil more cash together it'll be worth it

Terrible, you can make a build with a 1070ti for that price.
Why upgrade when all of these are considerably new components? Should have bought better parts in the first place if you wanted to upgrade so soon. Maybe get a 9th gen and wait for 2060.
There's no proof 100% usage causes stuttering. In most cases the fps just drops. Also background uses 10% cpu at most with bunch of shit open. You are more likely to stutter because you have no ram space than running your cpu at 100%

its a phanteks p300
also I plugged in more cables than I need (I think) in my psu, I have one sata cable thing that plugs into nothing is this bad or just messy?

Lol. It sits were your GPU sticks out.
Look at the back bottom of you case. It goes over were you mount the GPU to the case on the outside

forgot to mention I play rarely and 50fps with mid details is not a problem for me I'm more concerned about overall performance using other programs

wait for 7nm gpus and ryzen 3000 series. No point in upgrading now.

There are games from 2013 which run shitty on 4 threads, let alone ones now days.

Wait until you get a 7nm GPU to get a monitor.
Loads of good Freesync monitors have released this year, but there'll be even more next year.
75hz is nice, but you'll have to turn settings down further on your 1050Ti to get that framerate.

Can you show me the build?
Pretty please.

what graphics card is the 2400g comparable to?

I honestly give no f about gaming, just want something that'll serve me for 5-7 years without turning into a massive pain in the butt during casual stuff, e.g. dev, web browsing, converting media files etc.

In that case you have a perfectly fine machine.

why intel?

Just messy. Its a spare
Nothing. Mook
Glad were on to stuttering now. I concede. My points still stand though

I had a buddy create a list of parts for me on a $2k budget. Is this all good or is there something I should change?

Attached: list.jpg (880x981, 74K)

its shit
needs 16gb 3200 ram and a b450/x470 motherboard at least if you're spending 2k usd

pcpartpicker.com
Use this to organize your shtuff with more ease.

Don't buy founder's edition
Is that 1000w psu? Overkill, 650w is fine
Ram should be 3200mhz for this

The only reason he should want FE is if he's liquidcooling and the waterblock only accepts reference GPUs. Otherwise the FE is one of the worst 1080ti's you can buy. Also FE has power limit of 125% vs the 150% of AIB cards.

>Currently have an i5-6600K
I have a budget of ~$650 and am looking to replace my processor for something that can let play and stream(for some friends) monster hunter world.

I was looking at the i7-8700K for this purpose but I am a little concerned over the whole spectre+metldown thing that I am a little put off about continuing to use intel.

I used to be all about AMD but I have been disappointed in their cpu's in the past.
If I were to hop back on the AMD ship is it worth investing in the newer processors on the market like the 2700X? Or should I just pick up an 8700K?

Attached: makes you think spin.gif (540x540, 395K)

Regardless of everything, there's a small chance that the RTX will btfo everything so wait for those benchmarks.

What is it about 7nm GPU's that will be so great all of a sudden? Nvidia will probably set an industry standard while AMD will have to play catch-up in order to be able to compete un that department. Most will either stick with their Pascal GPU's since price/performance is expected to be worse, or simply get a cheap vega 56/64 if and whenever that happens. Will AMD truly have an RTX 1080 competitir in time? If they won't, then why bother at all?

Attached: 1534785118396.gif (480x360, 1.84M)

Ryzen are the cards for streaming. Zen 2 is around the corner so maybe wait for that (ryzen 3xxx cards)

Why not a 1tb ssd? A 500gb ssd is only a enough for a handful of games. At this total build price the price difference between the two shouldn't matter.

Ryzen is unironically the best CPU for streaming. It's the one place where all those extra threads actually matter. Too lazy to pull it up, but check out the Gamer's Nexus video. Anything outside the 8700k gets single digit frames on the stream watcher's side. Plus AM4 is supported at least until 2020, has a soldered IHS and no security vulnerabilities (that haven't been patched).

>Regardless of everything, there's a small chance that the RTX will btfo everything so wait for those benchmarks.
It's possible. RT is a matter of personal taste, but DLSS could obsolete everything if devs drink it down.

I see.
A co-worker of mine was explaining to me that individual core speed matters more than core count still since most applications including games don't really use more than 4 cores anyways. The way he explained it kind of made sense but from my past experiences, higher core count is equally important as individual core speeds.

Is this true or is he and I not correct in thinking that?

Don't mind him. He thinks AMD will release a 1080ti-like card for $300 lol. The 2xxx midrange models will be no better price/performance than pascal indeed, especially navi.

Your friend sounds like he wants you to build his current dream build.

tfw i want to get an x470 Taichi to replace my x370 hero. It's probably just a massive waste of money but come the fuck on that board is fucking sexy

Are Rog Strix B450 boards a solid buy?
I'm planning on getting one for next year's Ryzen 5 3XXX series and maybe a 1070. Buying for slight CPU OC'ing and rgb aesthetics as well.

Attached: b450i RGB.jpg (1280x1280, 181K)

My CPU is becoming a bottleneck in my setup. Should I upgrade now or wait for Ryzen 3800?
also Ryzen 3x00 when?