Best Uni Latops

Ok, fag/g/ots , this is the battlefield for the best college laptops of 2018 at price/performance.
Gayming is not performance
>inb4 buy Thinkpad and hookers
No
>optional Linux distro recommendation

Attached: fugg.jpg (209x250, 7K)

Just use the college desktops you nerd

Dell Inspiron

stinkpad x200 with debian.
M A X
A
X
C O M F Y
O
M
F
Y

Attached: ComfyGuyIntel.png (375x360, 52K)

T410 or T420 with gentoo

Attached: IMG_20180828_213341.jpg (2048x1152, 1.05M)

yea, cuz you can take them at home to do research at midnight

lamo what are you? a turbonerd?
Get an EEEpc!

Cheap Lenovo chinkpad with xubuntu and spend the rest on second hand text books that will actually help you pass m8

HP Pavilion running fedora

>spend the rest on second hand text books
>what is libgen.io

>sip
Yup, Evanghelion was a great anime

>what are Uni online resources

You should consider the Thinkpad a485 that will be coming out.

literally browse /t/ or lain ch for text books bruh
my fellow boomer

latitude 7490. thinkpad without 30% brand markup

What about a Lenovo IdeaPad 530S?

The only reason I suggest the a485 is because itll come with Ryzen chips.

Jacking off to anime boys is not research user.

WHAT
When ?

But debugging code is
somewhat

one with a disk drive. put a condom inside. condom always with you.

truly enlightening, pajeet

thanks. asus used to have some good ultrabook options, like the yoga series. i would look into those. for distro i would recommend arch or void.

ugh, i mean lenovo yoga or asus zenbook

any xps13 within last 3 years will do the job for anything besides heavy CAD work

my base spec i5 xps13 lasted me 4 years almost in a computer engineering degree without issue, battery life was insane too

I think around September

get literally fucking anything made in the last 10 years dude, install Ubuntu 16.04. You aren't aiming for freetardedness and you aren't aiming for gayming either, so it's literally the perfect combination.

nah if youre doing CS or anything like computer engineering or electrical you want something that can run resource hungry garbage IDEs that youre forced to use, or multiple VMs for old ass software your school expects you to use

The C++/Python IDEs they want me to use are horrendous
>CodeBlocks
Kill me, mommy, PLEASE

Thank you, fren

my uni didnt force us to use any IDEs besides the FPGA course we had where we had to use Xilinx, which ran fine desu
honestly don't know how they could enforce an IDE for languages like C++/python, what are they doing forcing you to take sceenshots of the code inside the IDE lol?

What school forces you to use an IDE? My school couldn't give two less shits if you did you code in notepad.
Actual the department head shills for vim.

just on their garbage desktops
with the little
>this copy of windows is not genuine
in the corner
For home, clion is /comfiest/

as mentioned before, there are some courses where you're basically forced to use a specific type of IDE or emulator to do anything, like a course in VHDL or assembly

i question a school that forces you to do work on school provided computers

when you don`t have a laptop, what can you do ? :^)
hence, the thread

No

unironically an old macbook

Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition

I wanted a MacBook but even the older models have huge hardware faults

is there a new laptop with decent specs that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? around 400-500$ would be nice

you wont get decent for that price without going refurbished or used

well shit alright, so are my options are used lenovo thinkpads?

yea, if you have a microcenter near you they usually have like 3rd or 4th gen i5/i7 thinkpads in that price range, sometimes with SSDs even

this is solid advice

powerful pc will only distract you while a textbook serves even as a physical reminder you should study and not browse g

sadly i don't live any near microcenter, guess i'll save up and buy a thinkpad in a year or something

you can still buy refurbished thinkpads from online retailers, just its abit more of a hassle if something where to go wrong

Just picked up this cutie like 2 days ago, she seems like she will be very useful while I am actually at school then when I get home I can just hop over to my real machines. Folding her up and rotating her to read books has been very nice. I feel so old, I used to pirate books last time I went to college because I was so poor but now they literally WANT you to use digital versions lol

Attached: Screenshot (8).png (1920x1080, 433K)

btw you can save 100 bux off the price listed there which is what I did

i'll look into online retailers, thanks for the help user

I have a T420 which I used for school for years and it was great. But when I came across a stupidly good offer on a macbook air, I started using that instead. Battery life and weight are really useful things to have in a portable computer.
These days I use a Chromeboon Pixel (with Gnu+Linux).

how deep. i'm so inspired. teach me your ways.

>i5
have fun with burning down your hosue

i used to have a white plastic macbook
people stared at it constantly and always asked how i dealt with such a slow device
> i just ssh'd into my desktop so i never had to worry about the speed

get a mac
you wont' get a date running linux

seems fine so far for basic tasks, pretty normal temperatures - about the same as my i7 alienware which has a lot more cooling

You don't really ask a PC like this to do much, it's mostly for writing papers and reading textbooks. An i5 isn't like super fast but it's fast enough to do these things comfortably. When I need a real machine I will use it but this is light and easy to carry around which I didn't think mattered until I got it

Attached: Screenshot (11).png (1920x1080, 277K)

Get a memepad or a vivobook like I did.

>publicly accessible desktop

If it's just SSH, isn't the private key hard to bruteforce? My EC2 stuff has SSH open, it's been several years and nobody has ever managed to break in.

I dont take my laptop to classes because I take notes on paper and use actual books (like any intelligent person would) so I got an inspiron 17 and it stays confined to my room unless absolutely necessary, which is rare

I bought an x220 + a chink 9cell and that's been pretty great the year I've used it.

(wireless card did die on it, but its a pretty old machine at this point, so to be expected, I suppose

>A 17" laptop
>intelligence

Honestly just the fact that you associate paper use with intelligence is enough to disprove it

I use a xps 15 9560 for uni. Might be overkill, but I prefer 15 inch and wanted something that could handle light gaming. The build quality is just great.

>claims to be intelligent
>leaves computer in room
>paid more than he would have for a desktop for the sole perk of his device being portable
>could have spent the same money on a much faster desktop since he doesn't use the portability anyway

i didnt get the xps15 because dealing with a gpu in linux is a hassle and a powerdrain unless i disable it entirely, but if they had one without it i wouldve grabbed it

I take my notes on paper too, but still take my laptop with me most days. It is really useful to look stuff up when doing assignments or working on the programming part of my degree.

X230 with x220 keyboard
Install ubuntu server and DIY openbox+tint2 "DE"

This is my system too.
Take notes on paper, but bring the laptop for programming classes.

>installing a keyboard that might fry itself, on a laptop whose controller does not work with the replaced keyboard.

W2C sticker

Does it have a 8250u?

Been using one for years with no issue and flashed the embedded controller so not only does the keyboard totally work but I can also use x220 (or 3rd party) batteries. Succ my benis.

no

t english major

Zenbook

If your uni doesn't have a 24/7 open computer house it's a shit uni.