So Jow Forums, why are you not studying EE, mathematics or physics?

So Jow Forums, why are you not studying EE, mathematics or physics?

Attached: 1527551567713.png (224x250, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q5AkBBQWZR4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because I'm a degenerate living in my mums basement

I did but they all make less than CS graduates so now I have a CS job

Louis?
youtube.com/watch?v=q5AkBBQWZR4

CS is dead end career, you're in IT and that's it, you can only advance inside it while with mathematics or physics you can go management, corporate or whatever you want.

I work in wood processing industry and our owner/ceo has phd in physics.

IT is godsend for all the betas (myself included) tho, you can still earn some money and have kinda normal life while before I don't know, I would probably end as manual labor.

I'm in a 2 year brainlet EE tech program

Because I like software.

It's really not bad, starting pay 65k here, after 10 years in it I'm making 140k with more room to grow. Dont live in a big city so this has me covered with a nice 4 bed house college for my kids and my bmw m6 and retirement

I'd recommend finishing up the 4 year version at a different school if you can. Switched from EE to EE tech and I'm making just as much and more than actual EEs without all the stress

you make 140K and own a bmw m6? better hope the recession wont be as bad this time pal

You know what makes it obvious you're poor?

You still loathe for things, house and m6 kek, that's sad as fuck.

It's really all about experiences in the end and those will be quite forgettable if you spend most of your life behind computer screen.

But as I said it beats the alternatives for those less capable than average chads.

Not new of course, but still not the cheapest either. But like I said I have all my finances in order and cover all the bills and add to my bank and retirement each month so even if my wife were to stop working we would still be fine.

much like everyone here i've been tinkering with computers since childhood which is why i'm studying cs. i did well in sciences in hs so i had all the possibilities to go science but didn't cuz cs was most familiar. then again, when i get my bachelor of engineering i can study ee, mechanics or whatever engineering degree my uni provides.

Attached: 33583477_1641675265915843_2176439248062775296_n.jpg (659x633, 37K)

Where I am (Alberta) there are no EET 4 year degrees, only EE. Might go back to uni for full EE after some actual industry work, maybe not. Time will tell. I can also afford the entire 2 year program in cash with some to spare, so there's that. It does feel rather odd doing polytech instead of proper uni though.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of programmers go into management after 10-15 years or so. Especially considering that all my bosses so far had CS education.
And I'm not sure about how it works in burgerland, but here at least half of maths students are people who wanted to study CS but didn't get in (as it's significantly harder to get in a good CS program than a maths one).

Cause I'm too stupid for engineering, mathematics, and real science.
/thread

EE is for people too dumb to take computer science.
Mechanical engineering is for people who would take compsci if they knew what a computer was
Good luck getting paid to do real physics
Compsci with Physics is the real patrician option

>EE is for people too dumb to take computer science.

Attached: 9781466504998.jpg (525x648, 50K)

I studied Math.

>EEtech
I guess this means Electrical/Electronical Technologist?
im a 25yo webdev right now hating life and while I would like to start EE it feels like it would take forever and I have no exp in the field, but i could do a 4year technologist degree with intermediate specialized technician title (while EE has no intermediate degree), I think im gonna bet on this but not sure if the same you switched to

brainlet who graduated from EE over a decade ago. kek

>programmers go into management

Never happens.

Whatever company you end in as IT guy you'll never advance outside of IT department. That's why it's called dead end career.

It's life behind screen till you die.

>computer engineering
Nah, i'm not really into programming microwaves

this is why :)

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 8.02.13 pm.png (1520x1168, 168K)

There's only one true engineer and it's mechanical engineer.

Computer engineer is same tier as railroad engineer - just fancy title for some shitty trade.

Fucking lol. Once a code monkey, always a code monkey. This guy in pic related was was Google since day one and he's still a mere programmer after all these years. They don't even give him more than one monitor!

Attached: jeff dean.jpg (1024x724, 164K)

I've met many people during my time at uni who excel in areas like physics and/or engineering but are retarded when it comes to CS. Maybe try going to a school that isn't shit and you'll meet intelligent people.

>mathematics or physics
>management
sad_laugh.wav
Seriously, if the higher ups want to make revenge on some team or w/e, they hire a manager with a math degree. Sure, these people are /capable/ of management and producing some results, but working under them is a literal nightmare.
T. Yuropoor

but user, CS is just applied maths. I have a feeling I will end up with a BS in a related field but not CS directly as I'm currently studying. Anyone done any Internships yet? I've applied for a few with no responses. Was the experience beneficial? To those who have since graduated was it at all indicative of expectations and work load of your career choice?

I think the best way to do it is to learn programming such that you can go take an engineering course and use the thought processes you've trained with programming, and the language itself to help you make tools to complete your work.

Non-Cs -> Engineering master race

Life sciences BTFO. Though most of them are probably doing it for pre-med or similar.

And he is like working his ass off like crazy so cs grads interns can program buttons in js thinking they are special...

STEM is for people with 0 practical skills and still want to feel important

>Though most of them are probably doing it for pre-med or similar.

kek i wouldnt be so hopeful. i bet its a small minority

Too real.

>fell for the CE meme
>fell for the meme that CE grads were more desirable to employers than CS because "they know more about what goes on at a low level"
>fell for the meme that embedded software has better prospects and jobs that sometimes even pay better because "it's a rarer skill set than web/app dev"
>only job I could get after college was programming microcontrollers for a product barely more complicated than a kitchen appliance
>making less than 50k after being here for 2 years
>can't get interviews because my skills are now way too niche/irrelevant
>scrambling to learn any other type of programming before I'm here for too long and get pidgeonholed as an embedded dev

My dad is metallurgist, went business management and after retirement works part time as trade advisory specialized for Iran.

That path is just impossible to pull off with IT/CS degree. Yeah you can "manage" and "advise" but never outside of IT field.

>67381916
>can't get interviews because my skills are now way too niche/irrelevant

Get new skills, you're perfectly capable of doing what CS kiddies do.

I just want to say this.

Fuck the day I touched computer for the first time in my life.

>he didn't read the line immediately after

EE in Sask making 140 a year

While normally systems analysts get the role, some programmers can advance to project management.

I fired a few CS students they can't handle industrial ee. Tried to make it all OOP in industrial. Failed. Don't work nor will it ever. Worst part is they didn't listen and now their fired. Only costed a few million..

God speed user! To be honest, CE is an abortion of a major. I think part of the problem arose when they broke Electrical Engineering and Computer Science out of the same major and department at most universities. I would recommend you start learning Python / Go and a little bit of HTML/CSS/JS so you can branch out. Most software development jobs are going to be related to web development these days. You are probably going to prefer backend development since you are coming from CE. Good luck!

Attached: 1509253183821.gif (355x225, 1.5M)

Most life science people I know started it because they got burnt out by engineering

>loathe
What. Anyway 140k is a pretty good pay desu

>Good luck getting paid to do real physics

I know a guy that made shitton of money doing real physics - development of mri machines. This landed him in medical sector and now he's ceo of biotech company specialized for antitoxins.

I've never heard of cs guy landing job anywhere outside of IT sector.

Why the fuck would you hire someone for EE type work with a CS background? What type of work did you have them doing? I assume it was embedded type work.

Attached: 1517102476411.jpg (600x431, 34K)

One you're obviously not a native english speaker, probably not American at all so you're making peanuts.

Experiences is for small people who think they can escape and become "worldly".

EE right now isn't even a career. We have 2 guys with masters in EE working QA making peanuts at my java shop. China, HK, and Taiwan snapped up most of that market ages ago

>loathe

Wrong word, excuse my commie english, I'm just shitty slav.

99% of the tech executives in my country either did CS or EE. you probably won't be an MD at an investment bank, but pretty much all top positions in tech are occupied by people with technical degrees

because i already finished my mathematics degree

and what do status commodities or paltry UMC "achievements" give you exactly?

You know, people on this board have always said my degree is a meme. And for a while I believed them- until I graduated college and landed a $83K software development job. And now I don't pay attention to people who say my degree is a meme. I've realized blue collar cucks like you will always find reasons to hate the alpha dog degrees.

I'm trying to get into computer vision. It seems hard as shit though, I'm just starting to get into implementing image processing algorithms in C++ (not even at feature detection yet), and I'm taking the MIT OCW linear algebra course (I took a LE course in college but I pretty much only remember the basic matrix operations, I honestly don't remember any fundamental concepts). I feel like it will take me 3-4 years to get good enough at this to get a job in CV, assuming I can find a company that will take someone self-taught in the subject. But I'm thinking implementing different CV demos and experiments in C++ will give me enough portfolio material to get a systems programming job in the semi-short term (6 months from now). Do you think this is a solid plan, or would C++ projects not directly related to systems stuff not make for a good background for a systems job? I am trying to avoid web stuff completely since every time I tried it I got bored and gave up before actually making anything.

Wasn't my choice. Corporates. They decided to let IT control all the plc tag historians... Claiming they were the only ones capable of dealing with big data. OOP in industrial doesn't work because even if you had 100 identical machines.. They won't be identical for long. The software used inherited objects. Change the master they all change. This was a refinery. Now the project is over, their gone and I'm erasing everything... Been 2 years and I've had no historian in a few 5k tag bases, not to mention the sampling time and interpolation was set by tards.

Why the fuck would you sample current once every 5 minutes on a 200hp machine? Cause IT that's why. Management gave no fucks until you hit the floor. Our downtime essentially tripled but they couldn't even measure that right. In fact, none of them even witnessed the machines nonetheless determine their states off randomly guessed tags.

I prefer being neet to $83k before taxes 9-5 grind.

Friend of mine (mech engineering dropout) made some serious money doing software for detecting counterfeit bills.

Honestly, I don't think there are really that many jobs in computer vision at the moment. It is sort of a niche field. I would recommend maybe temporarily focus on systems stuff or at least backend web development. Just focus on this until you get a job that is more related to software development and move out of embedded systems development. Once you have more of a software development job, then you can focus on pursuing computer vision.

I only say this because, while your plan is very reasonable, I think you are going to get pigeon hold in your current field if you stick to the time frame you are describing. The experience you get while working can be used to make sure you can always get a software development job and then you can focus all your attention outside your job to learning machine vision. This was the path I took for the most part to move from a EE doing control systems to software development. I'm still learning more interesting topics on my own time while I work a less interesting software development job that I will eventually move on from. Good luck and don't give up user!

Attached: 1515338263156.jpg (720x960, 98K)

Still better than sucking Trump's cock.

Jesus Christ that sounds retarded! Your explanation makes more sense now. I have seem IT try in get their hands into control system / industrial system shit since it is tangentially related to computers before when I was an EE doing control system work at an electric utility.

nah it'll take a year tops if you go for 3 hours a day every day.

Ironically that is what the product I work on does. Ours kinda sucks though, and I have nothing to do with the algorithm. We are planning on implementing a new data-science oriented algorithm for our next product, but I don't have anything to do with that either, and it's more or less done, the rest of the new product just needs to be developed.

Ok, I think I will give it another shot. What kinds of websites should I make for a portfolio?

I don't think you understand how much of a brainlet working on the same 24k lines of shitty assembly for 2 years has made me. Leetcode problems I would have easily killed in my 2nd year of college are such a big struggle to me now. I am basically going to have to re-study everything a CS BS has from the bottom up, before jumping into actual CV stuff.

Tell that to invesys. Wonderware is all OOP now and it sucks.

I'm in EE and it's hard as fuck, only pain

i dont want to be poor

>CS is dead end career, you're in IT and that's it, you can only advance inside it while with mathematics or physics you can go management, corporate or whatever you want.
Delusion is cute sometimes.

>mfw I thought EE was okay till I got to electromagnetism
Barely scraped a pass

Attached: 1435117762555.jpg (645x773, 56K)

>I am basically going to have to re-study everything a CS BS has from the bottom up

like i said, a year. tops. all joking aside, re-learning is much easier than learning for the first time. the connections are all there, they just have to be refreshed.

Who /ChemicalEngineering/ here?

Got a comfy dev/data eng job at the largest bank in the country right after graduating, feels good man.

Because I dropped out of mathematics about 10 years ago. Too old to go back and have a decent job.

Computer science IS mathematics, you dipshit.

I would look into Django or Flash for Python projects. Really you could just make an example blog. Another option would be to just make a bunch of Git repos that are example of how to use different frameworks or languages. I think another good option would be just to make contributions to different open source projects.

Oldfag here. I remember back in the early to mid nineties when that was not the case. In school all they ever told us was that the future was IT. During the late nineties to early 2000s, companies could not bring IT and CS guys into executive management fast enough or in great enough numbers. Then the great dot com crash happened followed quickly by the post 9/11 market shake-up. Companies got more conservative with their strategies, and began wanting traditional managers again, now IT is kind of where the A/V guys used to be in the seventies and eighties.

I get it for Physics or Mathematics, but Engineering? Lol.

A math degree just requires a couple more math classes compared to a computer science degree.

Math degree just requires more calculus courses.

Final form of IT people is System Admin basically.

I guess you could worm your way up to CTO somehow by kissing enough ass but few people do this.

And there are the rare occasions a CTO gets asked to be CEO.

The Indian CEOs in Google or Microsoft were previously CTOs I believe.

Yeah, The traditional route to CEO is through COO. back when normies first discovered mainstream internet access, the computer became the magical solution for everything. You started seeing IT people going out of the IT department in all directions. Dep0artments that had nothing to do with computer operations, outside of being very basic end users of the technology, were being headed by former IT personnel. This turned into almost half of the executive managers in major corporations being people with some type of background connected to IT, and a plurality of COOs being from IT. The trend was well underway for CEOs in 1999-2000. It was slowing still going strong in August 2001.

I've got a year left before I get my CE degree, what do I do to not fuck myself?

If there is an elective for web/apps, do that. If not, learn web/apps in your free time. Embedded is the worst meme in tech, completely avoid it. Jobs involving machine learning, computer vision, OS, and compilers tend to require a lot of experience, so if any of those are things you are interested in doing, keep it to your free time hobbies, you pretty much won't get a job in any of those areas unless you're some kind of genius in it, which you probably aren't since you actually stuck to college long enough to get a BS (most people who work in those fields but don't have a PhD are the kinds of super geniuses who publish serious research papers before graduating or even starting college at all).

But I am studying mathematics. Pretty much everything I study on my CS master's degree is math. Computation is a field of math.

I'm trying really hard not to kill myself

because it's fun?

Just do it, life is fucking shit and working harder doesn't make it better despite what bluepilled cucks will tell you.

I've been a neet for years and I've also worked low paying job. I've spent years eating beans, pasta, ramen and living in low class apartments with low class room mates. I wanna have a choice in where I can live, who I live with and what I eat.

Computer Science is not about computer or
about science.

Because I'm studying CE instead.

Attached: 1534099443219.png (1172x1148, 162K)

EE here. All i got was bad grades and hair loss

>pic
yes, it is

>meanwhile on /sci/ anons are calling engineering a meme for brainlets who can't do physics or mathematics

Was this written by a fucking 16 year old?

But I am a mechanical engineering major; I start school next week

Please stay delusional
I have a CE degree instead so I have no flesh in the game, but you are talking straight out of your ass

>too niche
You do realize... every piece of electronics made needs firmware. They pay a ton of money for people who can actually deal with the low level.
I don't think you're looking for the right kind of jobs

My team alone is about 40 devs who all work on firmware and make 80 to 140k

Also, as a embedded dev, you should know C/C++/python/etc etc all the basic languages used elsewhere. Do you only know a single language???

Attached: yesand.png (115x190, 31K)

Don't listen to the downers. There are tons of jobs, we literally STRUGGLE to hire people who aren't coming in with a VISA.

I don't understand how people are failing for find embedded jobs. EVERYTHING is embedded, it's hotter than ever.

>not many jobs for computer vision
What are cameras on cars
what are cameras for law enforcement
what are fucking cameras on phones
what IT"S EVERYWHERE

I dont like math

he is 41 old and IT billioner

>you cant get into management without a PhD in knitting cats
>you can make a bunch of money in this line of work at a progressively higher rate, but will never enter a management position
>IT has no management positions available
U fucking wot

Why would you subject yourself willingly to do something you do not like? Its not like you cannot make money with any of these.

Attached: 1461268234644.jpg (1000x1144, 79K)