Is storing stuff on cloud safe?

is storing stuff I would normally store on harddrives safe and doable in the cloud if I had a 25down 10up internet connection?

I figure google cloud n other cheap services is like same price as 1x 2.5 2T drive a year.

is it feasible to ditch harddrives totally and store all my wares and random stuff in cloud... or would that be unwise with said internet/privacy concerns. etc. as long as I don't share it am I ok?

Attached: 1531236328553.jpg (1024x768, 278K)

Other urls found in this thread:

djibnet.com/photo/nagra/nagra-snst-recorder-2695044170.html
span.com/product/StarTech-SATA-Mobile-Rack-HSB220SAT25B-SATA-to-SATA-Trayless-2x-2-5-HD-1x-3-5-Bay~31650/loc_it
youtu.be/TYq77wh958A?t=3m9s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you make backups in the cloud, you should still have a backup at home, just in case;
Privacy concerns in cloud storage are a meme as you shouldn't store any sensitive information in clear anyway, in the cloud or otherwise. Just encrypt it before sending it.

idiot.

do any cloud services keep their storage devices in faraday cages?

microsft/google/apple would already make backups in the cloud. its prob more secure than even keeping a physical drive in your house... the only way I think it would be less secure is if they suspend your account. but I cant see them doing that if they claim privacy of content for other people.

obviously they still scan your files for advertising and shit but they would do that any way when you email it or what ever.. I don't really mind about that.

just wana know if its feasible to stop using HDD all together and just maybe 1TB of SSD and then backing every thing up to the cloud. obviously if you use a private tracker having a big physical HDD makes sense but they are all being shut down. most of my downloads come from random places.

would storing that stuff after ive had most use of it in the cloud and not coming back to it for 6-18months in the cloud be ok? just wondering what their policys are of the content you store in the cloud. and if they actually do any thing about it.

Thread is full of glow in the dark spooks get the fuck away

>spooks
no im ligit asking is this ok to do?> or do you all do it in silence. and would 20d/10u be fast enough to do it or would accessing stuff and storing stuff take too long. wondering at what internet speed its safe to ditch HDD

If you don't care about retardedly slow read times, sure.
You're like the opposite of the SSD meme.

are those 3.5mm jacks? is it a new project? wtf are those green connectors on the sides?

I am using iCloud
Am I doing good?

>no trolling

i'd be afraid of the company where i host the stuff suddenly closing, discontinuing my plan, or something else. thing megaupload - feds raided the whole datacenter and everybody lost their files.

also lets say you have a 1TB drive, and 8TB in microsoft cloud. suddenly microsoft increases their price tenfold. what do you do?

but how slow would it be with 20down 10up compared to using one of these.

ill use one of these and use 2.5 drives like cassettes if better but I might end up with 20 2.5inch drives in 10years. wouldn't having it all online be convenient.

or would you need like 100down 50up for it to even be comparable? how long would it take to pull it down from server comparied to copy file onto SSD I wonder.

Attached: hdrist220_3.jpg (500x500, 43K)

also problem with keeping it on 2.5 HDD is that the magnetic memory fades over time. not sure how long it takes to fade some guy said you need to "refresh" or reright it to drive every 3years maybe. with cloud you don't have that problem google do all that refreshing for you.

maybe refreshing doesn't take that long and you could refresh all your 20 HDD one week every 3 years or some thing but idknow.

if the read and write times to cloud are so bad with 20d/10up I wont consider it. but just wondering. I had lots of cool collections of videos and programs and stuff from 15 years ago that I don't have any more im better with backup now and have stuff on HDD but its been sitting there for 3-4 years and now I need to refresh it to keep itlonger.

thinking like super long term should I spend life with 50 2.5inch ssd and use them like cassettes with this cool floppy disk size 2x bay or should I go cloud and pay 100$ a year.

place I live might never get faster than 100d/50up so maybe that's factor to consider too.

mm but Microsoft/apple/google seem safer than megaupload. I agree thou laws could change they could be forced to filter cloud for pirated software and delete or cancel accounts with it... possible but also breach of privacy that doesn't happen.. just wonder.

when I die do I want to give kids 50 2.5inch HDD all 2tb so like pass on 100tb of data or do I want to give them icloud password in will? maybe impossible to forsea that far in future but what about for next 20years if my net doesn't get faster than 20d/10up or 100d/40up

not sure what it is found photo on here. might be new but also looks like some thing old. looks like old recorder for reporter or some thing. with top popped off. could be some new audiophile thing thou I guess.

its from 1975 CIA wiretapping recorder

djibnet.com/photo/nagra/nagra-snst-recorder-2695044170.html

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

I mean body wire recorder or what ever small shit you can hide on your body while you bust the Russian spys. I guess relevant because about size of 2.5inch drive.

ah damn, that means i'll never afford one. i really want a tape corder because of the aesthetics and the wow/flutter of the tape. but they're either too ancient to interface with normal stuff (i'm talking weird voltages and amps) or a thousand dollars

the aesthetics of this one is super cool so of course it's made for the cia and known for it's quietness

do you care if its portable... just find a random HIFI tape player/recorder. that's what I did. haven't used it much but I fixed the sticky melted belt inside it by flipping it around and seems to work perfectly. seemed broken because of belt when I got it but easy fix. prob worth getting before they all in the bin they go.

cassette is prob the wisest I think all thous older mediums hard to find media for. but places in china still produce cassette tape because its used in asia for learning English in japan/china/Taiwan etc.

they use it because it better records human voice and pronunciation and stuff.

i have lots of cassette players around. i use one of these tascams for recording synth noodles and so. even though i know the quality is not great, i think it has character (especially sawtooths!), and as with the synths i think a physical interface affects how i conceptualize and metaphorize.

it's a shit medium but it's MY shit medium. so i'm always on the look out for weirder and nichier players/recorders/formats.

Attached: file.png (408x372, 132K)

I don't consider it a shit medium the human voice sounds objectively better on tape imo. not sure if its because I grew up lissening to talking book cassettes as a kid thou but sounds way better imo. even with a super cheap crap tape/cd player from the 1999-2005

Lol these questions.
Sequential reads will be 10 to 30 times slower if your connection is 20mbps. An average HD can easily do 100-300 MBps, generally they are bus limited despite being 6Gbps. This is assuming you're putting the data directly in ram, if it's going to you local HD, then even slower as you need to write then read again locally.
Random reads will basically be as s low as your ping plus whichever time the service you're using delays a query. Probably in the 200-500 ms range. SSDs can have response times as low as 0.2 ms in optimal conditions.

yer but that's the point you make if I copy to another HDD it will be slower than 100mb .. realistically I would be putting in one of these storage drives and copying/installing the files on a local SDD.

I get your point if I have 20mb it will be 5x slower not 10x but if I had 100mb it would literally be the same speed right?

im not talking about "running" files off icloud im talking about using it as storage rather than slotting in and out 2.5 disks like cassettes.

you guys clearly don't want to do this method because you think your downloads are too edgy to put in the cloud even if its about same performance wise for accessing files. but in reality nun of you have stuff that's super illegal. you just like to LARP your hackers.

idknow 5x slower is kinda shit and the risk of it being shut down is shit. but heaps of you have 100/100 connections why are you not using cloud for every thing.... get with the times!

some of you even have crazy like 700-900mb connections and I bet you still wouldn't do this.. why? buying HDD is a waste and it would be cheaper and literally maybe even faster.

oh I didn't understand the diference between 100MBs and 100Mbs

the big B = 1000. im dumb ok.

so considering 2.5inch drives are like 5200rpm they have read times of like 700mbs. so if you actually had internet that fast using cloud over drives would make sense (unless you used larger bulky 3.5inch drives at 7000rm which would be like 500mbs faster than cloud.

im only going to get 25mb download at max so using 2.5inch drives like cassettes is going to be like 30x faster if I use physical media.

get it now dumb question.

still I think you people on 700-1000mbs internet should use cloud instead of HDDs. better for the environment.

I get it now thanks. bye.this is that bay if any ones interested in it doesn't use trays or mounts like other hot swap bays just a in out lock function like a SD card the doors seem superficial but maybe required so id still like to find one with out the doors

span.com/product/StarTech-SATA-Mobile-Rack-HSB220SAT25B-SATA-to-SATA-Trayless-2x-2-5-HD-1x-3-5-Bay~31650/loc_it

It is doable but utterly insecure and unsafe.

Check the TOS: any problems and it rmains your problem, not theirs.
All you keep is looked over by countless alphabet soup agencies.
Cloud companies go bust. All data is lost. As in forever. Unless shipped off to nameless gov agencies.
They can delete anything if they deem contents is bad. You are their hostage

figured out with the internet im getting cloud will be 30x slower than HDD so im going 2.5inch hdd. now I just need to work out what thickness of 2.5 to use there are 4 standards. hmmmm

Use RAID. And never forget backup.
your data is more valuable than the hardware it is stored on.

I guess it is if you're comfortable handing your data over to strangers, *always* have a decent, unblocked internet connection, and know beyond a doubt that they'll never fuck you over.
On second thought, naw...

>cloud
>safe
pick one

still looking for a 2.5 cageless drive like this

youtu.be/TYq77wh958A?t=3m9s

pref one that doesn't have a door thou.

what size 2.5 drives should I aim for it support do the fatter sizes not matter I think there are 4hights.

Being analog, a quality cassette will sound better than digital. Shit tapes are still shit, though.

they always have loopholes in their EULA with shit like "WE MAY DELETE THE FILES AT ANY POINT AND WE WILL NEVER BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING", so why the fuck would you bother with them

just think building a NAS is a waste of money and network hardware. going to just go with using 2.5inch drives like cassettes until my internet is fast enough and then maybe ill go cloud but that might not be for 10years.

no

Count your drives x2 for backups. With a NAS you have parity checking and/or other data integrity options. Storage is more efficient.

no its a larping waste of money. plugging in and out 10 2.5inch 2TB drives when you need them is better than a nas.

if you justify nas because you part of some private tracker it will be shutdown in 12months and is a waste of time to setup.

Sorry, but you have it all wrong. You build the NAS (or buy one) with the capacity you need, set up autorepair, drive redundancy, hoy spare, whatever. I have only had to change out a drive when the system flags it as faulty. I can do that without shutting down and without losing data. I used to have a number of USB drives (maybe 16Tb total), moved to the NAS solution and swear I'll never go back to that shit.

*hot spare

Besides, you lose one of your USB drives and you've lost the data unless you're disciplined enough to religiously make backups. Somehow I doubt that.