What are some Jow Forums approved cars? Probably everything post-2005 is out of the list...

What are some Jow Forums approved cars? Probably everything post-2005 is out of the list, anything with a computer controlled automatic transmission or an electronic throttle body.

Attached: toyota_hilux_surf_1.jpg (1699x1080, 376K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Fjfsg-8ZOog
youtube.com/watch?v=WKi_GVJbieg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>mfw I didn't even stop to think that new cars are huge security and privacy risks
I'm not even a tinfoil hat wearing freetard, but my car has its own unique IP (so it can receive OTA updates) and an always on GPS module for real time maps.

Fuck.

Attached: 1458875946712.jpg (240x240, 8K)

I don't drive a bike i go everywhere on my motorised scooter

Mustang Mach > *

Attached: 1969_Ford_Mustang_Mach_I.jpg (1272x644, 782K)

beetle

Attached: vw_beetle.png (672x380, 571K)

Are we talking survivalist or just secure and free?

Anything with an obd port is out for security.

Anything with digital ignition is fucked in a nuclear explosion.

>tfw car has a SIM slot for the infotainment

Attached: 61r34SB-E2L._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 41K)

>tfw op can't even work on his own car
>tfw op doesn't even know how a carburetor works

Attached: 4864351435486.jpg (650x650, 37K)

yea it's scary shit user. I know all the potential dangers of this stuff...but it's all so damned convenient! This is how they get to you isn't it?

I do, the problem is that I'm an apartmentcuck and don't have a place to work on my car. The other day i got yelled at for topping off my coolant at the communal parking lot.

"yelled at"? Nigger do you pay rent? Tell whoever it was giving you shit to go piss up a rope and when they can do it without getting wet, then they can come talk to you.

GNU/Car, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU+Car

Attached: 1534512360512.jpg (576x382, 75K)

Attached: John_Carmack_GDC_2010.jpg (1819x1866, 2.08M)

Kit cars have existed since forever and they're the closest thing to open source cars. Fuck of with your dumbshit image.

Attached: DSC_8465A.jpg (2000x1333, 1.01M)

An 05 Toyota Camry SE

youtu.be/Fjfsg-8ZOog

Attached: varg.jpg (600x900, 88K)

FUCKING THIS. Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

>car infotainment screen is linked to other systems that can influence characteristics of the suspension and even throttle response
>throttle is fly by wire
>infotainment takes updates over the air
>has 4G modem built in that can't be turned off
>no one cares about this absurd potential hazard
>even with all the security issues aside the infotainment system is still a low cost tablet running with eMMC that will eventually wear out and die which will render the entire unit inoperable
>meaning most electronic amenities in the car can't be used or adjusted without the screen
>screen will eventually be EOL and impossible to find new

The whole auto industry is really fucking us pretty hard on this.
This should actually be illegal.

God I can't stand this faggot.

eh. Even first gen infotainment systems can take a beating. My buddy has a 2013 Focus with the first gen of Sync in it. Screen still works as do all the voice commands etc. The screen is a little delayed when you touch it compared to when it was new, but that's expected.

Remember when cars were on their death rattle at 100k miles, then after a few years many of them could get to 150k, and now they're junk at 100k again? The engines usually last well after 100k with good maintenance practices but it's the transmissions that fail. By this point it was supposed to be common for cars to survive well past 250k.

>By this point it was supposed to be common for cars to survive well past 250k.
But user, that is common if you take care of your car...

Most manufacturers are waking up to this tho, it was popular to put even HVAC controls into the screen back in 2013-2016 but now most manufacturers resorted back into physical controls for the most commonly used functions. But the fact some suspension and drive train settings are still computer bound unsettles me a bit. At least they're mostly common in disposable luxury cars I'd never buy anyway.

>invent (((climate change)))
>blame it on carbon dioxide
>(((coincidentally))) cars release carbon dioxide
>force people to give up their old cars or tax the shit out of them until they go bankrupt
>everyone required to drive a (((modern car))) that (((they))) can control

pic related

Attached: 20180824_151522.jpg (3264x1836, 2.49M)

modern cars don't make any less carbon monoxide. How many car companies need to be caught faking emissions tests does it take to understand this? And we already had a scam like that in the US to try and force people to bu new cars. Obongo's Cash for Clunkers program.

As it is, old beaters and classic cars alike would have to be treated like guns. The US government would literally have to go door to door and force people at gun point to give up their cars.

No, many cars made after 2010 will have failed transmissions or other expensive failures right after the warranty period ends. Granted I've only owned American cars because I don't want to pay the rice tax but at this point it might be worth it.

what kind of crack are you on? I owned a 2011 Ford Fusion and put 160k miles on it before getting the front end ripped off. Zero issues other than the occasional bad rear bulb. Changed the timing chain, plugs, wires at 100k. Oil change every 5k miles and drained/refilled the transmission fluid every 3rd oil change. This was an automatic too.

Older economy cars already get over 40MPG and that's pretty much as high we're going to get without huge compromises. I fucking cringe whenever I head of someone ditching a 2002 Civic or Corolla for a newer hybrid car because "it's good for the environment". Not buying a new car, and instead keeping a car that already was manufactured years ago is immensely more "ecological" than buying a disposable shit car that will need replacing in 5 years.

connecting cars to the internet is a bad, bad, bad idea

Attached: hacked.png (757x641, 42K)

my man

it was a joke

The best era for cara was the 90s and into the early 2000s. Cars of this age still feel modern but aren't as computerized as new cars. Anything with a CAN bus is a bad idea. Older cars had computers but usually only embedded systems to run the power train. Nothing networked. Nothing remote controlled.

03 Cummins here running strong at 225k, but the trans needs replaced and I'll probably go through 2-3 before the engine needs real work done

any 80's sports car

Attached: ae86.jpg (900x599, 40K)

Rape van. It's even candy colored, so it won't scare away children.

Attached: jhjkhkjkugghdsfsdutfib.jpg (1288x860, 1.07M)

Surely cars have a firewall in place to block incoming connections...

Based and rapepilled

that's not a sports car user, it's an econbox

this

Saab are white and based. Sad they became chink botnets

2010 BMW M5

3k civic with a couple of simple mods

youtube.com/watch?v=WKi_GVJbieg
Tell him that.

>many cars made after 2010 will have failed transmissions
Blame shitty CVTs

>ae86
>econobox
Yeah no, the AE85 existed at the same time as the 86 and was the real econobox

GTI is superior

Attached: 9091346-teenager-with-tablet-computer.jpg (589x800, 66K)

>t. Someone who reads too much anti-global warming propaganda

I'm sorry, but that's a Dodge Ram Van, not a "Rape van"

>racing a shitbox down a mountain somehow makes it a sports car
i know the 86 was and still is a popular tuner car, and has history in japanese motorsport, but it's still a shitbox economy car. It's just a fun and (used to be) cheap one, that was the point of the car.
>ae85 was the real econbox
don't get all your information from initial d. if you really wanna go there, then the fwd e80 corollas were the most fuel efficient.

Attached: 1524011095342.gif (320x240, 1.83M)

>no more square edges on cars
>no more comfy decals
>every car looks like a gay plastic dildo

Attached: angryboomer.jpg (250x229, 35K)

>yep, global warming is a real threat to humanity, I tell you hwhut.
*crack
*sip
Ahhh

is Jow Forums turning into old /mu/?
I'm not gonna complain

I want an SUV size version of this.

Attached: big-trax.jpg (504x364, 121K)

It's often in the lease that you can't work on your car in the parking lot of an apartment complex.

>he doesn't know
suzuki wanted to brought back the boxy look for the new jimny and even offers comfy decals. pardon the ant image.

Attached: jimny decals.jpg (464x317, 28K)

This is book is pretty dry reading but has good info on just how sucky most security on the can bus is.

Attached: hackable-cars-book-review-share.png (576x576, 546K)

you should've pardoned your fuckawful english too

Did you just try to meme global warming as a boomer meme?

I hope you ingest rat poison instead of the cocaine you are obviously on.

Some do but some are so fucked that you can hack everything through the tire pressure sensor.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 292K)

Attached: Tesla-Model-3-Reveal.jpg (1360x765, 94K)

Garbage

Reddit: the car

I drive a 2003 Honda Accord in graphite. Seriously though you can't go wrong. Got it for $2400, reliable, convenient, easy to fix. I don't care if Hondas are overused.

>tfw can't get this in the US

Attached: 1432259490310.jpg (700x700, 68K)

>What are some Jow Forums approved cars?
Whatever your mom drives.

>100% analogue
>most energy efficient vehicle known the man
>mechanically simple enough to be completely maintained and upgraded by end user
>standardized parts can be replaced at any hardware store or improvised with household items by any foolhardy handyman

Attached: higgy1.jpg (640x551, 129K)

Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Attached: 2.jpg (780x525, 510K)

Just get a Wrangler

unironically any GMT400 platform truck with a manual transmission. the one pictured is a 1996

Attached: IMG_20180314_095734.jpg (4160x3120, 1.54M)

Saw an old Blazer 2 door the other day, the absolute chadmobile. I'd get one, swap an LS on it and convert it to LPG because gas is too expensive here ($5.5 per US gallon)

shit blazers are solid too. 5 bucks? shit. im not sure what engines are in the old blazers but if you find one with the 350 v8 in it i know they sell whole LPG kits for them

how would older (pre 2000) cars be exploited without direct access?

>tfw live deep innawoods with no neighbors and wrench on your car in your underpants

Attached: haggardman.gif (354x163, 2.78M)

comfy feel. where do you go to get new parts then?

993 version of the porche 911 and non car suzuki katana 600 or 750

american cars are kinda ugly

put 300,000 miles on one of these until it got too rusted out.

No, but you are.

rust will kill them yeah. this one is pushing 315k miles and still going strong. RIP

Canadian?

yes they are
they are as obnoxious as that cowboy shit

Go jerk off to Top Gear reruns or something you little faggot.

2017 Nissan Versa S
>manual transmission
>manual locks
>manual windows
>manual ignition
>cheapest new car in America

Attached: versa.jpg (640x425, 65K)

>CAN bus
>OBD port
you're not understanding the point of the thread. trying to avoid the botnet here.

2004 Civic + any aftermarket EMS
Turn off all that commie economy shit

Ford Ranger

Attached: ranger.png (1440x956, 113K)

Chilean

The miniwan that Terry drives.

I didn’t realize they sold those that far south.

Yeah, our market is pretty interesting because we get both American cars, European cars, and 3rd world specials like Chinese/Indian cars. In traffic you could see an Indian made Suzuki Swift, a F-150 work truck and a Peugeot 308 GTi side by side.

Based.

>GTI
I love mine.

300zx

Attached: 2e458efd-d741-4aec-a605-940418f7507f..jpg (1024x768, 82K)

then youre pretty much limited to 80s cars and back

It'd be easier to just force you off the road into a wall or into a river.

what are you trying to say

> cowboy shit

Attached: image.jpg (600x600, 226K)

I dunno I've seen cars survive 600k

just the shitty aesthetics of that culture