/fglt/ - Friendly GNU+Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
&& /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1477742000727.jpg (1920x1080, 552K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X220#X220_Touchpad_cursor_jump.2Fimprecise
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Xorg_configuration)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for fuck nvidia

Attached: Linus-Torvalds-Fuck-You-Nvidia.jpg (600x339, 31K)

second for loli cunny

I have removed Network Manager from my system, and I am using /etc/network/interfaces to manage my network connection, and it works fine, but how can I run this command on startup as root with Systemd?

ifup enp0s25

Thanks.

ddg it

Install GuixSD

>duckduckgo
you must be gnu here

write a small script to start your service
create a systemd unit/service and add your script there
reload units
profit

Why? If seen the info graphic. It's a bunch of loose association fallacies and tin foil hatting.

Is it really not possible to install arch without an Ethernet connection?

I don't understand, I thought this was mostly developed by people under the age of fifty.

what no just use wifi

How?

It isn't. I think you do need an Internet connection but it not be Ethernet.

I do know that the live usb includes the driver for my card, so this shouldn't be so baffling

Just read the fucking Arch Wiki.

are you installing this without using the wiki? if so then kudos but it really has all the answers you need

Is there an application layer firewall available on linux?

The main install page talks only about Ethernet, then links to "network configuration" which buried a reference to what they call "the wireless LAN" in there somewhere. It's as if it was written by someone who barely knows wifi exists, much less that it is option no. 1 for almost everyone who doesn't own a condo or even one Hawaiian shirt.

Nevertheless I am back on track. Disk is already partitioned, I thought no internet was necessary from the way the main install page was written.

pic related
>it is option no. 1 for almost everyone who doesn't own a condo or even one Hawaiian shirt.
does wearing a Hawaiian shirt imply some kind of tech skill? if you don't have your own router and an Ethernet cable then maybe Arch is a bit steep for you

Attached: nvidia_fuckyou.webm (1280x720, 722K)

iptables can filter by process attributes but I never used this feature.

It seems that Iptables is being replaced by Nftables so you might wanna check which of those better suits your use case.

I looked into iptables, it looks like ti just blocks the ports, I want to whitelist specific programs.

Does owning a landline connection and router imply some kind of tech skill?
I guess it did in 1990.

I'm sure it's possible because I already configured quite complex routing rules that were only valid for the Tor process. Unfortunately I don't use this anymore for some time now so I can't remember the specifics.
AppArmor and SELinux might be well suited for this task.

you could use a wifi router to bridge the wireless connection to ethernet.
An easier solution would be to install arch in virtual machine first. no wireless necessary

Has anyone ever tried Fedora Atomic Workstation or a similar OSTree based distro? Are there enough flatpaks, appimages, etc. out there for everything you need?

>does wearing a Hawaiian shirt imply some kind of tech skill?
This is puzzling me as well.

Use "ufw"

It is the sort of thing that retired boomers wear.

Boomers are people who are old but horribly full of life and opinions.

So this is just you being retarded. Ethernet is VASTLY superior.
>b-but I don't have ethernet
Then you're a literal peasant. Tether your fucking phone over USB if you don't have any other options.

I'll try tethering.

As for my rebuttal, my faxed message is on the way, fresh from my completely unironic typewriter.

Thanks, AppArmro and SELinux might be what I am looking for

this only blocks ports, not actual applications

Can we get this one in Full HD?

founds this with image search

Attached: wallhaven-493609.png (1930x1090, 658K)

Which *Ubuntu-based* distro should I install on my aging Core2Duo laptop with 4GB RAM and an HDD?

I've been using Ubuntu (proper) since 10.04 on it, and would like to renounce the faggotry that is GNOME. I would like it to be very light, yet as aesthetic/rice-able as possible.

I miss Unity.

Attached: Capture.png (360x295, 59K)

just install the vanilla gnome-session and use that instead.
the problem isn't gnome it's ubuntu

You mean Debian based. Accept no substitutes just use Debian. You're on your own for a userland. Make your own opinions pussy, or lurk a few desktop threads.

Does TLP Really help or is it digital snake oil?
(The Battery Saving thingy)

I am using Ubuntu, and I'd like to download website+forum for offline reading.

What's a good guide for this?

use
allow-hotplug enp0s25
in /etc/network/interfaces

ok so being insired by the linux music thread yesterday i got pic related. so im following a guide to get the fucking thing to work and one of the things it calls for is "Cadence" a frontend for the 'Jack" program.

so far so good I need to install cadence. except the normal sudo apt get/install crap isnt working. the download from the site isnt working either. BUT i found it on sourceforge so i have a tar.gz.

I extracted it to my downloads folder. what do i do with it now? how to install this hard to find cadence program?

Attached: 12313797_800.jpg (800x597, 84K)

How do I stop screen tearing in KDE?
I've tried setting the compositor to almost every repaint option but it still tears.

Besides that everything else about KDE is great.

Use Wayland instead of X11.

what's a good graphical program to use to connect to wifi

most distros come with one. what are you using?

gnome network manager is what I use and it's alright. wicd is also an option.

I cant get HDMI to work on my Debian laptop. Looks like the TV detects something is connected but im getting no picture or sound. How do I get this thing to work?

debian

okay, I might try it. Last time it would crash on each load. I heard wayland doesn't work with nvidia GPU

in gnome it should show up in display settings
otherwise i'd direct you to the journal logs to see if anything will clue you in to why it's not recognizing the display

I've tried fucking everything Jow Forums, I need some serious help. I tried logical increments and stack exchange and I just get ignored. I installed Linux mint on a Dell Vostro 3350 and I'm having an issue of the mouse cursor flickering as well as losing focus of popup boxes that come up(like clicking settings in Firefox, the box that comes in for it will disappear the moment the cursor flickers)

I've tried disabling the touchpad and it doesn't do jack shit...please help, I'm begging. Win10 runs like shit and every version of Linux I've tried gives me the same issue.

Attached: RAWKET_LAWNCHAIR.gif (400x400, 129K)

network manager + wpa_supplicant

but i dont have gnome or KDE

You don't need them. apt will install the necessary dependencies.

something like this? (requires libinput)
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X220#X220_Touchpad_cursor_jump.2Fimprecise

It doesn't work with the proprietary Nvidia driver, which you shouldn't be using anyway.

I wouldn't say it's jumpy or imprecise. It flickers in place and loses focus on shit like suggestion boxes

UPDATE: it stops flickering and losing focus when I hold down CTRL Shift or alt but only while holding it

This is all im getting in the display settings. How do I check the journal logs?

Attached: 75757577.png (1366x768, 375K)

With dd, can I clone an entire disk to a partition of another? Like:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb1
Would be useful to clone multiple smaller SSDs to one large HDD for achieving

So is a tar.gz hard to install? or perhaps cadence is depreciated and it wont work at all?

>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
Lurk Moar

No, but if you're new, you should download it from the repositories instead as it will make your life a lot easier.

kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

Oh, sorry. I just actually read your whole post. Ignore

journalctl -f
see if there are any events when you plug it in.

is there a hardware button to switch display? would probably be a special function key

No. Simply no.

bumping this question. How do I stop screen tearing in KDE?
As suggested I tried wayland but it constantly crashes like 1min or 30secs into the session and the monitors don't display their resolution properly.
Doesn't seem to play nice with intel drivers.

UPDATE UPDATE: even when disabling the keyboard it still flickers, however it no longer stops flickering when CTRL is held

Required for WiFi on Arch:
systemctl stop dhcpcd@

ip link
Ensure that a wireless interface exists and discover its name (e.g. wlp3s0)

ip link set wlp3s0 up

ip link
What once read “” next to the wireless interface should now read “”

wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp3s0 -c

Is there any really easy to follow tutorials for awk or sed?

what are AMD drivers like on linux? theres a rx 580 for really cheap and i want an upgrade from my gtx 660.

yeah nothing about setting up this keyboard has made my life easier. but outside of the cadence thing its been a bit more straightforward on linux so far that the hair ripping experiance of setting this up on windows earlier

libre drivers are great for hardware they support (AMD employs professionals to work on the kernel level and xorg radeon and amdgpu drivers)

nice. might buy this card then. cheers.

not sure about the rx 580 which i assume will run anything at 1080p, but my rx 470 on my desktop runs just about anything i want without much hassle. Also my laptops shit-tastic a9 9420 is shockingly more capable than it has any right to be on linux also.

id say you'll be fine. get the rx 580.

This is what im getting when I connect the HDMI cable to the laptop

Doesnt look like the laptop has anything that could do that

Attached: 858886868.png (1366x768, 282K)

how to backup in command line a header of an encrypted veracrypt-container or usb-stick?

Attached: vc.jpg (1280x960, 152K)

yes but it should be (notice the "1" in sda1):
if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1
not sda

AMD has really picked up their game in the last few years.
There may be a little weirdness if you buy a card immediately after it comes out and don't run reasonably up-to-date software, but I'm currently using a RX 550 and it runs fucking great.

Cheers guys. Is MATE lighter than GNOME/KDE/others?

Thanks, but it is not my first Lunix. Quoting myself for your convenience:
> I've been using Ubuntu (proper) since 10.04 on it

how do i get my fn keys (brightness, volume, ect.) to work on my t440p?

i need something to find dupliacte files on my server.

i have some 20 thousand or more pictures and some of which are duplicated in multiple folders.

is ther some program i can install that would allow a web interface to be used along with it as the servers an ubuntu cli build.

Does MTP and its implementation for Linux really suck or is my phone just busted? I'm getting errors when transferring certain files. It also takes ages to show a directory with a lot of files.

any image organizing application
just mount the folders over network

By security I wasn't targeting debian specifically I know they have a good reputation in this area. I was just emphasizing what I expected from a good distro to replace my current Manjaro which seems meh security wise.
For the ffmpeg example, I was just quoting >Ssh is nothing of a big deal since its in the repos I assume. The same goes for the sudo configuration

Holy fuck this is sooo annoying.

1) my VGA monitor isn't giving or arch isn't accepting all the EDID info (doesn't reach the max resolution)
2) I get screen tears all the time

When I edit Xorg Setting with config files it always causes xorg to not work "no displays found"
(wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Xorg_configuration)

Linux wouldn't be so bad to use but no one really helps, they just say, look at the arch wiki, which I've done, but I must have "not read it properly" because it doesn't work.

the i3-wm user guide isn't really useful, apparently the setting to turn on/off opacity in the ~/.i3/config file is: active-opacity: $num inactive-opacity: $num2

However apparently it doesn't understand that line in the config.

Any help? also, just wondering would that opacity apply to GUI-applications?

>Linux wouldn't be so bad
Yes, a shitty problem with an xorg driver/monitor cable is the fault of the kernel.
Go back to windows, one less retard here.

> Ubuntu 18.04 + all the latest updates.
> Have set up a password.
> It asks password when I boot my PC.
< but when I use "restart" from within Ubuntu, it restarts *WITHOUT* asking password

HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS GARBAGE OS

I'm trying to install pulseaudio on Cloveros/Gentoo but I can't. I'm getting this error: "dev-libs/openssl:0" Is blocking dev-libs/libressl-2.6.5
What should I do?

Hey guys I would kindly like to know whats the most lightweight and simplistic package for setting a nice wallpaper on a minimalist system like arch.

I've heard people use nitrogen and feh but both say they're minimalist so I have no idea which is telling the truth

Kind regards

Check if pulse has a libressl and openssl use flags. If it does, set libressl and mask openssl.

If they're so lightweight then it should take less than 10 seconds to install and try them out.

Now if you were to ask me about the new chromium dev build, that took half a day to compile, and you don't want to waste all that time, then I might have an opinion

Attached: tweakin.webm (640x346, 2.41M)

I dont want to install any just yet cause I don't know if it'll generate a conf file on install and if I uninstall it may not remove all the related crap it spawned, so to prevent that I'm just asking people which is better first.

I use icecat.

>autism, the post

Attached: general_ripper.jpg (668x501, 40K)

Hey man, all unix users should adopt the philosophy it started out with-- that of minimalism (as much as necessary)

So Feh or Nitrogen?

you're literally afraid to install software because you don't understand where it will go or how your package manager works

Well sorta, there are things that I just have to accept (i.e theres not much point consulting and questioning the core install) but theres things I can supervise on a user level, like making a mess of my system from dubious AUR installs, etc etc.

I like to be clean

What's wrong with this command?
echo -n -e '\52\49\46\46\24\00\00\00\57\41\56\45\66\6D\74\20\10\00\00\00\01\00\01\00\80\BB\00\00\00\77\01\00\02\00\10\00\64\61\74\61\00\00\00\00' > audio.wav

The output file is gibberish:
2A 04 39 26 26 14 00 00 00 2F 21 2E 25 36 06 44 3C 10 08 00 00 00 01 00 01 00 5C 38 30 5C 42 42 00 00 00 3F 01 00 02 00 08 00 34 31 3C 31 00 00 00 00