I'm about to install pic related. What should I know beforehand Jow Forums?

I'm about to install pic related. What should I know beforehand Jow Forums?

Attached: freebsd.png (457x75, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/index.html
forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2978357
freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want to know too. I want a minimal install with i3wm.

Don't forget to cup the balls

You can be banned from ever contributing to the project if you type *hugs* or an eggplant emoji at the wrong person.

>not using OpenBSD

fucking plebeian

>unironically using bsd

Attached: superlibrespeed_mach3.jpg (333x500, 44K)

Why? FreeBSD is deprecated.

Attached: 1522664193884.png (607x488, 322K)

What do you mean by that and why? Also why should I trust someone posting Bryan Shekelberg?

Just don't forget to follow the Code of Conduct.

*hugs*

Benno Rice announced that as part of the new CoC they'd need to stop working on the project and focus on re-educating their developers.

FreeBSD is deprecated, or at least on hiatus.

It's pretty fun to install the packages. I just did it earlier this week. Pic related

If you have modern nvidia, the guide neglects to tell you you have to add "modeset" to your /boot/loader.conf line that enables nvidia. I forget the exact syntax.

upgrading the linux emulation layer uninstalls nvidia driver. also you should install nvidia from ports as installing it from packages often doesn't work

don't expect to get linux applications working, I installed a whole whack of CentOS Linux packages to /compat/linux trying to get Discord working, eventually got all the libraries required and it just crashed. figured out how to run it in chromium as an app, no keyboard shortcuts though.

speaking of linux applications, there's a github with instructions to install Linux Steam, but has dubious instructions that involve untarring the deb to the root of your drive (maybe they meant do it in a chroot, but this wasn't mentioned). Best I could do is Windows Steam in wine, but this was a much worse experience than Linux steam, especially now that Windows emulation is built into Linux Steam (proton)

don't expect to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime Video or anything like that. The browsers don't support WIDEVINE. There's no workaround.

ports are pretty awesome, lets you customize your programs, but with the downside of having to build them from source and the greater time involved. packages are more convenient but sometimes missing options or outdated.

the irc was really helpful but the lack of features compared to linux and performance hiccups led me to go back to Linux. I had fun though.

Attached: flwmbsd.png (2560x1440, 1.12M)

It's kinda funny that the OS used by Netflix and that likes to boast they're used by Netflix does not have support for it.

The CoC is shit. Also, consider openbsd. Unlike freebsd devs, the openbsd devs actually develop their operation system while running it. Almost all freebsd devs run Mac OS. I wish I was making this shit up.

his face makes me sick and i'm not even Jow Forumsposter triggered by his jewish bantz or paywall thing, i just think he is visually repulsive

BSD's cuck license in a nutshell

Have your debian install media ready.

The paywall shit was a dick move. I only have watched one or two videos since. Nothing if his is worth watching now.

His friendo Matt has better content. Since landuke almost don't post shit on youtube I realized how much I don't miss his content.

Is this real? What the actual fuck FreeBSD? I would literally rather use OpenBSD and fucking destroy my SSDs than support and use their SJW garbage.

did he installed gentoo? he promised series of videos on it but i never seen even single one.

Benno isn't even at FreeBSD anymore. fake news

>deprecate a project
>immediately leave it
really gets the noggin' jogin'

No idea. Must have missed when he said he was going to.

It's crap.

i guess he backed off from doing it because I doubt he would be able to install gentoo.

this.

>runs on tons of servers
>Apple uses it on their devices
>Still actively developed
>The other alternatives are a mutation of DOS and Minix.

Shit posters...

it works well if you have the right combo of hardware (luck of the draw really)

the handbook is excellent and you should probably follow it on a separate computer or your phone or tablet
freebsd.org/doc/handbook/index.html

Thanks user
Kek

Try it on a hard drive, not in a VM. Many VMs have problems running OSes that aren't Windows or GNU/Linux. The FreeBSD Handbook is good, learn to read it. Man pages are good too. Know that both Chrome and Firefox have issues with hanging tabs on FreeBSD (but work perfectly on OpenBSD)
During install, don't forget to install the 'docs' set and after install, pkg install en-freebsd-docs
Works good otherwise, though.

I recommend against ever installing Linux compatibility in the first place. If you need Linux, use Linux.

>Many VMs have problems running OSes that aren't Windows or GNU/Linux
What? Which one? VirtualBox, qemu, and xen have no issues. VMware probably too but idk. Support for guest/host drag drop and others will be limited though.
Dual booting sucks and you don't get gaymes if you run Linux in a VM. The compatibility later needs work though.

This, the handbook had the answer to any questions I had about the system. Covering general usage and advanced application examples. I learned how to set up a high availability system with multiple layers of redundancy with knowledge from the handbook alone. I'm talking at the network, filesystem, and physical machine level. I also learned how to utilize jails effectively to get very low cost isolation with ease.

Anything you would want to use the system for, the fundamentals with practical examples should be in the handbook.

I am in love with that documentation.

Attached: beastie reading.jpg (274x163, 27K)

As if the majority of GNU users aren't hosting proprietary services on top. kek

cucked coc

frontend != backend

even if their shit ran on linux, they wouldn't have to support linux

unfortunately they're replacing all the "man" pages with "person" pages

Attached: 1372830935381.png (352x240, 124K)

I'm not able to handle that joke in this current time. It might be real tomorrow.

Kek'd. I hope this never becomes true

Today I will remind them
forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2978357
it could happen again.

he was soundly defeated by wpa_supplicant as chat was frantically yelling out hints. didn't even get online.

2/10

Hmmmmmm. Saved

You don't say

Because BSD users don't need or want proprietary software. If you want proprietary software, use GNU/Linux. (or Windows)

i used it for years but its now full of cucks and sjws caring more about how they fucking look than about code or usability.

>BSD users don't need or want proprietary software
The only people that legitimately need to use BSD do so specifically to create proprietary software.

Anyone else is just masochistic.

Why are so many ports unmaintaned?

nobody fucking cares might be a good reason

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

FreeBSD is no merely longer an operating system. It's now also an ideology.

Here is some actual tip, some bsd utilities have the same name as some GNU utilities but work different, i.e. fdisk.

>.
it's a fucking CoC up mate!

any of you used pfsense as a firewall? was thinking about getting it till I read about them going SJW now I'm not too sure

pfsense runs on freebsd ya?

You don't have to listen this fucking guy at mailinglist

Attached: 1533159225571.gif (500x500, 441K)

The CoC is good keeps out the faggots who want to sperg about politics away from technical discussion

Is Brucebecca spearheading this move?

Attached: 332873.png (1540x1231, 254K)

>The only people that legitimately need to use BSD do so specifically to create proprietary software.
Visual Studio runs on BSDs? Since when?