Why do you use the distro you use?

Why do you use the distro you use?

Attached: ika-musume-arch-linux-54.png (1500x1200, 1.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Debian#Changing_APT_Repositories
debian.org/releases/sid/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ubuntu because it works best for me.

Debian
Because it's easy to use, stable, has all the packages I want, secure, and lightweight

You're probably going to hear every distro in this thread. So I'm just going to say all of them. Especially that one to the left of that one.

Xubuntu. Nice solid, driver filled platform with a good DE.

Pop!_OS cause its Ubuntu + more than half the shit I would be installing on Ubuntu anyways

Gentoo makes compiling easy. Also, it doesn't default to systemd.

Solus has everything I need.
It looks good, works fast, and is only getting better. I just want the Dophin file explorer to also have darkmode..

Attached: solus.png (512x512, 32K)

Parabola because I'm not a systemd loving freedom hater

>runit
>rock stable
>best package manager

Attached: void1.png (1200x847, 857K)

currently im on manjaro linux, my first distro. Thinking about going to Arch or maybe Antergos in the future.

I use Kubuntu because of all these reasons.

Manjaro. I started using it a month ago but I've also tried out Debian and slackware.

Because Jow Forums meme'd me into trying it.

Arch because I don't mind spending the time to customize things, like having access to the latest features, and like the community/AUR.

Ubuntu, because I know it well. Might go Debian one day.

Antergos with xfce
I tried to make my own customized arch i3 setup, but got bored fucking around with the config files.
Antergos just werks

Devuan for laptop (stability / reliability of Debian without systemd crap), Gentoo for desktop (fun for tinkering)

>Mint Cinamon
It's hassle free as a daily driver

>Fedora KDE
For fun. Although fun is kind a stretching it with KDE

currently on debian testing but kde is kinda broken but still usable. heard i can upgrade to sid to fix, but also heard that you can't properly downgrade back to testing.

so looks like i am just waiting for a few packages to enter testing

Attached: Waiting-Skeleton.jpg (298x403, 30K)

Is it really worth it to use Devuan? I've been using debian for a while but I don't really know the legitimate criticisms of systemd. Could you tell me some of them?

Fedora. Have used FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Arch, Gentoo and Debian at some points in the past, did all the ricing stuff as well, but in the end I need to be productive, and Fedora has been stable for the last three versions for me.

The only thing I truly miss is the good ZFS support I had with FreeBSD, so I might end up going back to it at some point.

Tbh you should just go for sid

>I don't really know the legitimate criticisms of systemd
Don't worry about it. It's just autistic screeching. systemd is used for a reason

For one thing, it has had a serious case of scope creep over its development. Pulls in a lot of dependencies, and should you seriously break any bit of it, you run the risk of fucking your system (since it also takes on the role of init). Additionally, if you're using UEFI, it keeps efivarfs mounted rw by default, making it possible to hard brick your system.

building a universal backdoor isn't legit

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
pretty much this

id rather reinstall to stable then risk using sid, which i am worried might ruin my FDE setup.

I wanna stick my dick in ika musume's mouth

what anime she from?

Attached: mustumememelewd.jpg (735x850, 205K)

Is Gentoo difficult to maintain? I can handle Arch just fine but I find I'm an absolute brainlet when it comes to compiling shit. The AUR has made me weak on that front and I'd prefer to improve that skillset rather than be helpless.

by the point of being able to follow thw archwiki you should be able to comprehent reading documentation.
install gentoo

I install arch on every machine I use. I got memed into it even though I had no previous experience with linux. Couldn't figure out how to dual boot and figured vm would make my machine too slow. So I made it my main OS. ArchWiki is insanely helpful and I love the AUR. I cant imagine not having them. Now I actually have fun setting it up. I haven't had any issues with it being 'unstable' or breaking and I've been using Arch exclusively for 4 years.

Attached: 40470666_129004341375491_7837692557826981888_n.jpg (900x645, 52K)

Gentoo
I like the meme

Debian for the server and Ubuntu for the desktop(slightly more fresh packages than Debian).
Because I see no reason to switch.

Changing the release channel on debian is unsupported, you have to reinstall if you don't want things to break

That's only true for going backwards. If you want to go forwards (eg testing -> sid) that'll work fine.

>Is Gentoo difficult to maintain?
Not if you don't install unstable versions of everything
You don't have to know anything about compiling if you don't want to create packages yourself

I installed Arch yesterday since I wanted to learn more about Linux in general. I've heard Arch is one of the more complicated distros to use and maintain (or so I've heard) so I decided to just jump in the deep end.
So far it's been pretty neat. Not sure about ricing, that's way further down the line.

wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian

that's about cherry-picking packages from other repos though, not moving the whole system to another channel.

Looks like you're correct
Not sure why you'd want to upgrade to sid though, doesn't it have lots of missing packages?

Outright missing packages, no, but it is a development channel, so sometimes you'll have packages that are broken, or have fucked dependencies, or what have you. It's not terribly common and things are usually fine but that will happen now and then. But if you want to be bleeding edge then you always get some of that, no matter what distro you use.

yes i realize that, and that is why don't want to upgrade just to have to reinstall later when want to go back to testing.

make sure you apt dist-upgrade
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Debian#Changing_APT_Repositories

Attached: desbians.png (2133x1200, 1.01M)

Antergos is a step sideways. Arch is a step up.

Ricing, watch chink shit, jewtube videos, music, etc...

Attached: 1525432259588.jpg (505x1000, 167K)

Debian. It werks.

Arch because fuck use flags and init scripts

>But if you want to be bleeding edge then you always get some of that, no matter what distro you use.
Absolutely untrue. In both Arch Linux and Solus Linux, for example, this doesn't happen nearly as often or as badly as it does in Debian sid. They're miles ahead by comparison. The issue is that Debian isn't designed to be bleeding edge and shouldn't be used as such. Distros like Arch and Solus are, and as a result, they are far, far more stable than Debian sid will ever be.

Ubuntu, it's my first distro and it just werks.
May or may not switch to a meme like Arch or Gentoo when I upgrade my PC.

Jow Forums tricked me into installing it. It would solve the one problem I had they said. The problem is solved, but portage made a lot more.

Because I'm lazy and therefore like AUR.

Arch, it just works.

Go for sid. It is much more stable than testing. Most packages don't make it to testing at the same time, so if a specific package has a bunch of dependencies that got updated recently, chances are your package isn't going to work decently for a couple of days.

This.
Before trying Arch, the only experience I'd had with Linux was using Ubuntu for a week or so at a time, when I was a teenager. I'd never had any good experiences with Ubuntu, but I kept occasionally trying it out for a couple days at a time, before reinstalling Windows. This changed when I got a laptop, as since I have already have a desktop, I could use my laptop to try out Linux, without risking my main machine.
After a long and arduous following of multiple install guides, learning the basics of using the shell, and resolving error messages as I went along, I got arch installed on my laptop.
Being a Windows user all my life, it was tough getting used to using the shell for things, instead of having a pretty button to click on. But I stuck with it, got used to it, and with that bit of experience, began to understand that it's used a lot for a reason.
I've stuck with Arch for a little over a year now, and am still loving it.
Arch was the first to show me that a Linux system can really be a joy to use. Not just for playing with, or tinkering, but for getting work done quickly, and effectively.
I now run it on every computer I own.

"[...] Most of the development work that is done in Debian, is uploaded to this distribution. This distribution will never get released; instead, packages from it will propagate into testing and then into a real release.

Please note that security updates for "unstable" distribution are not managed by the security team. Hence, "unstable" does not get security updates in a timely manner. [...]

"sid" is subject to massive changes and in-place library updates. This can result in a very "unstable" system which contains packages that cannot be installed due to missing libraries, dependencies that cannot be fulfilled etc. Use it at your own risk!"
debian.org/releases/sid/

Stick with Debian Testing unless you don't care about the security of your system. If you want a rolling release, use something that's designed to be a rolling release and supported as such like Arch Linux, Gentoo Linux, Solus Linux, etc.

Debian sid is part of the development process that leads to Debian Stable, while Arch is a rolling-release distribution -- there is no "Arch Stable." These distros do different jobs and they do them well. Don't try and force them to switch roles; that's insane.

Not sure if any of that helps. If there are any "advantages" of one over the other, I think that depends on what the individual user thinks would be best for her or him after the differences between the two distributions are considered. Me, I prefer to run Stable, and to also run Arch, but I pass on sid because it's an unsupported security nightmare.

Mint because it's easy and I'm a brainlet (or at least a linux noob)

Dolphin is a qt app so you'd just need to pick a dark qt theme.

based and also redpilled

>void
>stable
I like void a lot and I'm using it right now but that's just not true.

Arch in one machine, Trisquel in another

The others were buggier or outdated.

Debian Stretch because it's easy as fuck to go from base minimal install to a lightweight WM, can be made comfy really quick, easy package manager, everything just werks all the time. stays a pretty minimal system without wasting my fucking time. you only have to be ever so slightly less retarded to get it running than Ubuntu or Mint but the upside is that it's faster to install because of all that missing b l o a t

Attached: scrot3.png (1024x576, 191K)

Ubuntu GNU, because it just werks

Attached: Screenshot (31).png (1920x1080, 747K)

Kubuntu just werks for me

Attached: Screenshot_20180831_112130.png (1920x1080, 1.73M)

Ubuntu Budgie

Windows, because Gnu's legacy support is frankly pathetic and it simply isn't good enough to be a desktop OS unless all you do on a computer is compile software and fap to anime.
>software with latest version released a few years ago and abandoned since with no viable alternative
>lol not compatible with the latest lib32-sukmydik

Among all these debian based distros which one is the fastest and snappiest? Something with the lowest latency between input and output. I don't mind Fedora or SUSE too.
There's so many of these things, there's bound to be one that's optimized in every way possible

Manjaro
Because KDE is stable with it and haven't broken on me yet, will change when it does but that applies to all distros

in contrary to arch breaking twice in a span of two years, void did not within the same timespan. Neither on my pc nor my laptop.

>binary based distros
>fastest and snappiest
install gentoo

Attached: 2345674356789.png (1280x720, 450K)

Fedora
>works flawlessly on my Surface Pro 4
>dnf is a great package manager
>just the right balance between stability and up-to-date software for me
>made it easy (for me as a beginner) to test various DEs
>release update script actually works without problems
Basically it just werks.

Just switched to Kubuntu, had to restart my computer like 7 times to get to the log in screen but so far so good

Manjaro because stable and arch user repository and pacman

declarative system configuration
no dependency hell
user environments

Because I can maintain it once in three to four years until the next update and I don't feel like "what else did they change to make my experience miserable" while doing it. It's always a pleasure to update.

Solus. I only use my laptop for very specific use cases and Solus covers all of it, all while being really smooth, quick boottimes a dash of "just werks".

Windows, because everything just works

opensuse, it has never failed me... it's the one thing i can rely on

the one from your image

Arch. Literally because I compensate for my dicklet.

CloverOS. I installed it when it first came out and it has not failed me yet. The repos basically have all the software I need, if not, then I either beg the dev to add it or compile it myself. It pretty much has the fastest version of KDE available.

>the fastest version of KDE available
Okay, this is epic.

Arch. Because of the support(wiki,forums,etc.) and AUR. Ubuntu just felt kinda clunky, Solus worked too well on an uneventful summer, so I fell for the Arch meme.

Love it tho. Never had to fix stuff and damn it was easy to rice it. Everything is in the aur.

still new to ganoo plus loonicks, this one is good enough for now

Attached: ants.png (453x130, 17K)

go have some funloops for once in your life you damn memer

I just downloaded Manjaro for my new recycled office desktop. Manjaro happened to be first in Distrowatch's list and all my laptop installations have been Debian based so I just want to see something new.

Laptops have Mint and Lubuntu. I don't like Ubuntu but I need an easy system with good user peer support. Lubuntu is on a slow af netbook So I wanted something light.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Fedora KDE, or Kubuntu. In that order.

redhat for work and parabola for personal use

So just use KDE?

Yep, basically. You can't get much snappier without running something less capable (LXQt, any WM, etc.) or Arch-based (Arch, Antergos, Manjaro, Chakra, ArchLabs, etc.). By far, the snappiest I've ever used without going full Arch was ArchLabs Linux.

If you have a recent Intel chip, Solus Linux is loaded with Intel-specific optimizations that make it one of the snappiest around, rivaling Arch. Not to mention, Budgie is beautiful.

Installing and configuring your system to your needs is the hardest part of the Gentoo. Ofcourse this is a one time thing, after that, it's smooth sailing, maintenance on Gentoo is minimal. On Arch, installing is the easiest, maintenance is the hardest.
There is no Arch Stable, but there is one on Gentoo, package maintainers do all the testing work for you. You just have to compile once it maintainers declare the package or app 'stable'.
Compiling the packages for your specific system brings sheer pleasure tho

Fedora, for obvious reasons

I use kali linux because I hack things.

Attached: 1493223460255.jpg (682x630, 72K)

Literally just because NixOS doesn't have the AUR.

Attached: 1425266271935.png (1080x1920, 755K)

what is wrong with aur?

You misunderstood me. The AUR is fucking great. I wish NixOS had something like it so I could use it instead of Arch.

Basically Arch with an additional repo and a GUI installer. Solid Distro

couldn't navigate the debian website to find the iso in 2004, ended up installing gentoo instead and running it to this day

Arch because I like having the latest features even if it comes with the risk of getting my ass fucked every now and then.