What's the advantage of using gentoo instead of let's say mint?

What's the advantage of using gentoo instead of let's say mint?

Can't I do everything in mint I can do in gentoo, too?

Attached: file.png (800x600, 497K)

>>BackTrack
Welcome to 2018 fag

for me, it's windows 10, the best operating system

Why do people hate mint so much?

If you have to make that comparison, then gentoo isn't for you.
I'm not trying to be some elitist asshole, but it really isn't worth installing.
I spent a day installing it and setting it up before realizing that I didn't really care about any of the advantages it offered (there are some pretty cool things in portage), and went back to arch.

it should be something like slackware
because matrix was released in 1999 so it was impossible for Neo to use kali or backtrack.

With most distros available to download (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, CentOS, Arch, Manjaro, etc.), their package managers distribute packages in a binary format. This means that when the package is downloaded, all the package manager has to do is decompress the package file and unload the contents into the /usr/ directory. Gentoo is different, in that it's a source-based distro. When Gentoo downloads a package from its repositories, it downloads the source code that is used to make the program. The program is then compiled on your system before it is installed to be used. Sometimes, compiling from source can lead to performance benefits in the program. However, planning to install Gentoo as a time-saver can backfire, as you also have to consider the time it takes for your computer to compile the kernel and coreutils on install, as well as all the programs you'll want after install. If you're new to Linux and want to know your way around it, start by learning the command line on a binary distro like Ubuntu or Mint. Then, you can learn how to compile your own packages from source on Ubuntu/Mint (Gentoo isn't required for source compilation.)

Actually genuinely learned something from a Jow Forums post.

I didn't get why the Debian user is like that

Kind of middle ground between Debian and Arch.

the official and infallible tier list:

lfs > smgl > gentoo = slackware > debian > arch > mint > ubuntu

>be autistic Linux fag
>want Linux to go mainstream, dominate and destroy Windows
>normie friendly distro appears
>hate it and run 24/7 shilling ops against it because hurr this is not real linux durrr
>tell normal fags to not use it
>normal fags install one of your meme weeb distros instead
>normal fag can't do shit with it without spending hours researching and watching how to videos
>normal fag uninstall Linux and goes back to Windows
>cry about why Linux isn't mainstream and not taking over user friendly, convenient, and easy to use OS's like Windows and OSX
>'normie retard noooo.. how could you possibly go back to windows after trying muh master race linux distro'
>start shitposting/shilling about how trash other OS's/distros are and how superior yours is
repeat ad infinitum

This is so out of date. Gnewsense should be replaced with Trisquel. Ubuntu dropped Unity to go back to Gnome again. And Backtrack is now Kali.

Do people in this board actually hate Mint and Ubuntu simply because it's retardproof compared to other distros or is there an actual valid points against these two OS?

I can personally assure you Ubuntu is not retard proof...

>all linux users has same opinions
>lol dude, I learned it on Jow Forums so it must be true
can't think for yourself, can you

It's about the worst of the mainstream distributions. The maintainers are incoherently incompetent.
Their software repositories are a hybrid of Debian's, Ubuntu's and Mint's own repositories. Which causes some namespace conflicts in the repositories; some software isn't available at all because another repository shadows the name, some software installs incorrect dependencies and results in a broken by default install. Also, there are version incompatibilities.
Mint is rather well known to delay or ignore security patches for their system for whatever reason, it's about the most insecure actively maintained distro around. Also, to my knowledge, they're the only distro to have their install media downloads replaced with malware by hackers.
Mint's "just werks" reputation comes from the fact that they're distributing proprietary device drivers they don't have any legal right to.

I'm sure there's more but you get the idea. Mint maintainers aren't very competent.

What Mint is to Ubuntu Ubuntu is to Debian. And Debian isn't a good distro to begin with.

Kali should be the same as Mint, by 2018 at least.

I don't Debian though. I don't wear bowties.

If you look at gentoo and don't see a feature that makes you go "hey, I'd like that", then don't use it.

I use Mint for over 3 years and never had any problems. It just werks.

>What's the advantage of using gentoo
USE flags.

CentOS / RHEL on servers
Arch on desktop

Fite me

My favorite distro is tails

How is source mage better than gen2

>CentOS
What's the man doing there?

name a good distro then

now i kinda wana switch from ubuntu to debian. fuck you

Looks like a network engineer. Could be configuring ports on the switch or configuring the switch itself

Windows 10

They tried to pocket donations meant for GNOME once.

They tried to pocket donations meant for GNOME.

Are you new? Gentoo is in sticky and this is the first prominent difference between Gentoo and other distro.

>muh proprietary drivers
>user you fucking retard just download your proprietary wifi drivers before you install and do a DKMS! Then you can install your graphics drivers and see the screen! Distros can't put device drivers with the Live USB! That would not be legal!
>The centralized fedora repo provides you with the freedom to not install any proprietary software that you want to install
>With fedora, you are free from using your graphics card
>You are truly free to not connect to the internet over wifi
>two years ago there website was hacked therefore this is my talking point for not using mint
>please gib amazon google data ubuntu defaults ur privacy is not important to canonical
>user, you fucking retard, just buy an AMD graphics card for 200$! It will perform worse than your current card but at least AMD is FREEDUMB
>Free, libre operating systems require a proprietary bios except on a few librebooted thinkpads (requires buying raspberry pi to flash said thinkpads) but god forbid you fucking fucks install intell wifi drivers
>intel AMT 3G backdoor on all cpus anyway cannot be removed
>FUCKING HORIZONTAL TASKBARS SCREEN RATIO
>Ga-nome DE
>Mint may work by default, but I prefer operating systems that are totally unusable by default. My special snowflake needs require me to compile and audit every program (while following youtube tutorials of course).
>ARCH WIKI IS NOT HARD TO USE
>haha mint comes with a DE? I prefer to use window managers with both hands on the keyboard at all times, no mouse in my house!

INSTALL FUCKING GENTOO
U PIECE OF SHIT
INSTALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
GGGENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *INCOHERENT RUMBLING*
*BASS LINE INTENSIFIES*

Attached: 1514475767275.jpg (326x273, 68K)

>I prefer to use window managers with both hands on the keyboard at all times, no mouse in my house!

Attached: 1518216109279.gif (640x360, 439K)

KDE Neon users

Attached: Astolfo1.png (350x495, 326K)

My friend, that sticky was put up 5 years after I started coming to Jow Forums (and 1 before I started programming)

You who refuse to bend the knee to your sjw overlords. We shall take your Linux from you and force to to submit.

Attached: muh_kde_diversity.png (587x510, 351K)