Got an older wrt-1200ac. Having to restart it a few times a week, getting annoying...

Got an older wrt-1200ac. Having to restart it a few times a week, getting annoying. Very low signal strength in the house. I have another wifi router that I'd like to link up downstairs from the cable coming into the room going to the tv and peripherals. How hard would this be or should I get get another router?

Attached: linksys_wrt1200ac_dual_band_wireless_ac1200_1192463.jpg (1000x1000, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series
techrepublic.com/blog/diy-it-guy/diy-extend-your-wireless-range-on-the-cheap-with-a-second-wireless-access-point/
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/08-30-2018-r36808/linksys-wrt1200ac/
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/08-30-2018-r36808/linksys-wrt1200acv2/
youtube.com/watch?v=CpYSjAM6lBM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Give OpenWRT a try
openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series

Have the same model. Shouldn't be like that. Clear out the dust and flash a new firmware.

what would be the difference between the factory firmware and this firmware? I'm not sure if it just sucks as a router or what.
would resetting to factory specs be similar? Just did that last week and still getting the same issues. This started happening in march.

I was thinking about doing this?
>techrepublic.com/blog/diy-it-guy/diy-extend-your-wireless-range-on-the-cheap-with-a-second-wireless-access-point/

Don't use OpenWRT if this is your first custom router firmware ever, throw DD-WRT on it first and play around with wireless settings (+20 to TX power, new channel, HT40/HT80/VHT160), if that doesn't help, the radio is dying, something that happens to most old-ish Linksys routers

Stock firmwares usually gimp whatever CPU is in there under the guise of being user-friendly, Linksys especially, and you can also use the "illegal" channels if you're feeling bold

>DD-WRT
I had looked into this at one point but didn't want to brick my router.
Any descent links you could point me to?

Look underneath and find the revision (V1, V2) and search for any given Youtube guide, I don't think these need a trailed build first, but if they do, flash that first, and use the newest file from either of these depending on your model, because those guides will probably point you towards something ancient

download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/08-30-2018-r36808/linksys-wrt1200ac/
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/08-30-2018-r36808/linksys-wrt1200acv2/

DO NOT FLASH OVER WIFI

thanks for the help user will check out those youtube videos

>I had looked into this at one point but didn't want to brick my router.
Your router has two firmware partitions. If you flash from partition 1 then the new firmware will be on partition 2. If it fails to boot then it should boot back into partition 1.

seems confusing but I will try. Just found a video
>youtube.com/watch?v=CpYSjAM6lBM

this actually looks fairly simple.
does the router need to be disconnected from the cable modem?
I'm loading the file but 192.168.1.1 keeps going back to the regual linsys login page

turned off automatic updates. Its still not holding the ddwrt firmware. Just reverts back to linksys

definitely not working, have no idea why.

no idea what is going on. Flashed it about 10 time using both firmwars for the 1200 ac. Gonna take a break as I have no idea where to go from hwere.

it's overheating, give it some new as5

get an ASUS t-mobile ac1900 meme router and flash it to the RT86AC or whatever model number I can't think off the top of my head

It's the WRT45GL of routers, but more modern.

Still taking a break from trying this one user. Google really brings up nothing to why the flash wont take

I see.

If you are indeed looking for a new router then the one I mentioned is great. It goes on sale every couple of weeks on slickdeals for $40-$50 and has been working rock solid for 15 devices in my home for a year now w/o needing restarts. I didn't even flash the custom firmware, I am on stock t-mobile firmware.

honestly I just want it to work. I'm really not sure why in march of this year it started doing this.
I had ddwrt on my other linksys but never put it on this one and not sure why its being a bitch to do.

going to set up a price watch for that asus

I have the exact same router and I have had no problems flashing it. Are you using the right firmware file? There is a different one for flashing from factory firmware.

yea I tried these two numerous times. As well as the non ac version

Attached: screenshot-dd-wrt.com-2018.08.31-17-25-19.png (849x510, 57K)