/spg/ - Smartphone General

Mi Mix 3 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: d6c06691c3d743f9b7347eb33f986e14.jpg (1868x1366, 575K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slashgear.com/poco-f1-teardown-will-make-you-wish-other-phones-are-like-it-28543510
youtu.be/wKiIroiCvZ0
xda-developers.com/motorola-moto-g6-moto-e5-series-poor-software-support/
github.com/MiCode/Xiaomi_Kernel_OpenSource/tree/dipper-o-oss
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He cute

Attached: IMG_3888.jpg (249x249, 8K)

Looks really dope. Why did almost no one do this sooner?

Will probably have a manual mechanism like this.

Attached: ezgif.com-resize.gif (544x304, 3.18M)

So what is Jow Forums's official launcher?

Don't even want to imagine what happens when devices like these are dropped, even with a case. Given that it's possible to manufacture ones which will do anything.

If I want something similar to the S8 in terms of performance with a 3.5mm jack and preferably microSD support and no bloat, what am I looking for? Country and carrier are irrelevant

not sure how I feel about it honestly
I actually liked the chin camera better

Nova launcher for ricing, rootless Pixel launcher if you just want to make it look like a Pixel.

Why can't I just have a nice phone with a good amount of memory and removable back for the battery, that's all I ask for, fuck waterproofing

Attached: 1532159520220.png (661x600, 415K)

Used a D600 for 7 years back in the days where we had no cases(ye I know it's different but still) and had no problems

That's not exactly a smartphone now, is it?

Nokia 8, Sony XZ1 / XZ1 Compact, Oneplus 5T/6 (no MicroSD slot)

A slider phone is a slider phone.
Something resembling an actual OS does not make it any different.

slashgear.com/poco-f1-teardown-will-make-you-wish-other-phones-are-like-it-28543510

The display will break long before anything happens to the slider mechanism. One's made from glass, the other from metal.

Reminder you won't be able to use a traditional case if you intend to use this feature.

Just as I thought. I never understood the obsession with minimum bezels in the first place. Who asked for this? Apart from "tech reviewers" for some reason.

It's entirely visual, looks shiny and pretty which sells. That's why there are so many notch clones designed by marketing teams. What bothers me is when phones have chins but put nothing useful on them.

it kinda makes sense. it's an easily marketable way of sell "progress" and it's relatively low risk compared to say better battery life or trying to come up with something truly new and groundbreaking out of the blue

just got this bad boy. should arrive next week.

Attached: galaxy-note-9-vs-galaxy-s9-plus-1.jpg (2000x1333, 108K)

I'm looking for a new phone, and trying to decide between Moto g6 Plus and LG G6, unless there are some other worthwhile phones in this price range. The features I want are:
-18:9 screen
-NFC (a must)
-aptX
-water resistance would be cool

Thanks in advance

Country/carrier? Budget?

Poland, carrier doesn't really matter as most in my country support the major frequencies (but it's T-mobile, just in case), budget is quite hard to set, but let's say around 300-350 dollars.

Lads, all I've ever used is android but I feel like a change. Anyone here a "iphone" user?

better video and movie viewing, plenty of people only use their phones for shit like youtube and netflix

I like the look of it, purely aesthetic. Practicality is pretty low though, which is part of the reason why I wouldn't get one, at least yet.

I don't think iOS is going to provide you with a new experience. You're just going to be paying more for a phone with less features.

>What bothers me is when phones have chins but put nothing useful on them.
THIS. i hate this about the redmi note 5. the action buttons are only available on-screen, even though there'd be space for them. the gestures are a great feature, but without that i'd just get lineageOS instead of miui.

Well, LG G6 has everything you want. Moto G6 Plus is only "splash resistant". I'd say XZ1 and XZ1 Compact are worth vhecking out if you don't mind them being 16:9.

any major downsides or problems with the G6? I've done some research, but found no critical failures such as bootloops, exploding batteries and the like

Congrats, the note 9 it's currently the best smartphone in the market.

>better video and movie viewing, netflix
youtu.be/wKiIroiCvZ0

>but without that i'd just get lineageOS instead of miui.
Well, you already can with GSIs. I'd advise waiting until Android P custom ROMs become available and gesture controls get more polished.

I hear the battery life is pretty average. There's an issue where the phone will display "moisture detected" and refuse to charge even if it hasn't been near water. Another quite common issue is with the rear camera glass cracking spontaneously.

I get that but I'm also looking into wearables and from what I've read, the apple watch is far superior to anything on androids side.

shit, that's not so good. any other choices, even a bit above the budget? Also, what about the g6 plus, would the processor and camera be much worse than the LG?

i'm sick and tired of emui so i'm thinking about buying mi a2 or mi a2 lite.
which one would you recommend? each has its own drawbacks, the standard version has poor battery life and i think i would have problem holding it due to its size, and the lite version has worse camera and a fucking notch.

Attached: mi-a2.jpg (1280x720, 86K)

>i'm sick and tired of emui
Luckily Xiaomi devices have good custom ROM support. You should go for the Redmi Note 5 or at this point the Poco F1.

in your opinion which one is the golden age of smartphone design? I between late 2014 and late 2016.

Edge, phones with finger print reader as home button and no back or menu button and bezel-less phones are ugly as sin.

Pic related is peak phone design

Attached: samsung-galaxy-s7-black-6-500x500.jpg (500x500, 28K)

Can't comment on the camera. Performance difference probably wouldn't be that noticeable outside gaming. Worst thing with Motorola phones is the poor software support:
xda-developers.com/motorola-moto-g6-moto-e5-series-poor-software-support/

If you can live without the water resistance then I'd consider Nokia 7 Plus or Honor 10/Honor Play

is there a phone more beautiful than the Xiaomi Mi Note Pro. Check this baby out. I bought it for my sister yesterday

Attached: 1.jpg (1200x1600, 279K)

I'm of the opinion cellphones peaked in 2013/2014. The galaxy s5 and note 4 are two of the best cellphones ever made.

Looks pretty much like my Mi4. It is a good phone.

Around 2014, yes. G3, KitKat and I think iPhone 5s were all actual around/in that year.

it's a fantastic phone, only downside is that it doesn't have radio fm

Attached: Screenshot_4.jpg (894x394, 71K)

and by the way, it cost me 120€

>it's a fantastic phone
you're delusional and probably indian.

For me peak design is the Nokia N9

Attached: n9.jpg (1000x1000, 139K)

moto x 2014 would like to have a word with you, faggot

I'm not Indian. I've held the phone in my hand, I've seen it charging, I've seen its screen and I've seen it build quality. it's a great phone. Also crazy thin and light. Also supports quick charge

Attached: 3.jpg (1600x1200, 138K)

>Android 7
>No band support.
You're fucking poor aren't you.

He's clearly a Spaniard.

And the early Nokia Lumia phones

Attached: nokia-lumia-900.jpg (1500x1260, 233K)

good phone, but no removable battery

i've also considered pocophone and a moto g6 which are both in the similar price range as the mi a2, but out of the box stock android just seems more appealing to me.
is there any good custom rom i can put on my old huawei p9 lite though?

I'm making a list of phones I want to buy when they drop to 100-140 euros and they're all from around 2016. I'll prob get a Lenovo K5 Note.

Pixel 1 or XZ1 Compact?

Both are similarly priced.

Attached: 1514992934851.gif (316x213, 1.9M)

These phones were durable unlike the "premium" glass back ones.

Not him, but you're funny. Do you use all the power of your octacore benchmark device? 95% of the time people will use it for WhatsApp, Instagram or YouTube.

still using the 5s solely for it's design

>Lenovo K5 Note
Bad idea

Pixel has a better camera and display, XZ1C better everything else.

why? looks good on paper

Aren't redmi 5, moto g5 and nokia 5 cost around 100-140 euros?

it's sad to see just how little progress has been made in all that time. it almost seems the smartphone industry has stagnated for the past 5 years.
there's nothing you can do on the new flagships that you couldn't do on any other phone released since the s7.
other than the bezels getting a little smaller, charging a little faster and some other minor improvements and a few features there's really no reason to buy the latest phone anymore.

>back button on the right side

Attached: 1480991976348.jpg (200x156, 13K)

THICC
H
I
C
C

Most of my phones have had it there. I had an LG e450 years ago with back on the left side and it was a pain in the ass

I'd invest in phones with good specs and not removable but relatively easy to remove batteries and even screens. But I really don't care about the water resistance like the fucking influencers do.

kill yourself, lmao. it IS removable, you just have to remove the back. does a bit of glue scare you?

Shitty Mediatek SoC, terrible camera, ancient Android Lollipop. It's trash.

the pixel isn't even fucking waterproof. the most unremarkable phone ever. the xz1 even shoots 960fps for 0.15 seconds -> 5 seconds@30fps

>Nokia 7 Plus
alright, thanks for the advice man, cheers

From the previous thread it seems that Pixels are quite popular here. Any good reason to buy them when their hardware looks dated?

no, nigger, i'd like my phone to at least be waterproof. you can have a z5 for less than $200 new these days and that 810 processor probably shits all over your low-midrange

This Poco phone feels like cheap shit and MIUI is still as disgusting and ad-ridden as ever.

Attached: 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180831211021521_COVER.jpg (4032x3024, 1.93M)

>notch

The camera quality is the biggest change IMO. Go look at the camera quality of flagships released in 2013 vs the ones that have been coming out this year. It's a world of difference.

But yeah, the improvement has slowed as things have become better. There probably won't be much change until a technology that enables new form factors (like flexible screens that are actually durable) allows companies to push out designs that are stuck as concepts right now.

lmao fuck that piece of chinky hispanic-named shit

>From the previous thread it seems that Pixels are quite popular here. Any good reason to buy them when their hardware looks dated?
Do you enjoy overpriced hardware which can often come with tinted OLED panels? Do you enjoy a lack of a micro SD card slot and a 3.5mm jack? Do you want subpar battery life on an overpriced device? If the answer to any of these questions is yes - don't delay, buy today.

Fiending for an upgrade from a galaxy s7 edge. Is anything really a major step up or should I just wait it out until the next generation?

>Poco

It's in cyrillic retard.

>be perfectly waterproof
>shoot 4k@60fps
>shoot 0.15 seconds at 960fps
>beat desktop cpus from years ago
>have 8GB of ram and 256GB-512GB of storage
right, NOTHING has changed

Good thing it's a very developer friendly device like the majority of Xiaomi's phones, right?
github.com/MiCode/Xiaomi_Kernel_OpenSource/tree/dipper-o-oss

>I really don't care about the water resistance like the fucking influencers do
you're an idiot. it's not "influencers" that care about water resistance, it's people with common sense

why would someone name their flagship phone "little". it's prob another language

It can be disabled. Given the specifications of the device, there's not much room for complaints.

i've been looking for a cheap phone for days now. i'm so fucking frustrated, every time i find something i like i see something else and i keep changing my mind . i'm angry af right now.

is xiaomi redmi 5 plus really that good? everyone keeps saying it's the best phone under 250 dollars but it's a bit too cheap to be realistically good. earlier i was so sure i was gonna buy huawei mate 10 lite but i found one video from some hindi guy saying redmi5+ is a lot better. but i don't fucking know anymore. i just want something that will be reasonably fast (i just need to use social media i don't even care if the animations are laggy), and with a good front camera. mate 10 lite has a better camera but idk if it's worth the huge price difference. i'm so tired of this shit i just want a phone.

An updated 1020 with the screen taking up the entire front of the phone is the dream.

Attached: 329121-nokia-lumia-1020-at-t.jpg?width=774&height=648.jpg (774x648, 47K)

show me the percentage of phones broken by water spills. I've never had a phone broken that way and I suspect the general population drops them or breaks the battery first. I had an S4 that opened up everytime it dropped and I used it under the rain and never had any problem.

Just flash official lineage my dude, tried it when i had S7 Edge and AOSP is sexy on curved oled

Buy a Redmi Note 5 (636 variant) and be done with it. You can hardly get tired of of it software wise, because of all the custom ROM support.

the chinese are retarded, that's why

>Berawan
where's that?

>it can be disabled
it's always the same fucking excuse with you notchlets. why put it there if nobody wants it? stop giving money to these mongoloid companies copying the homosexual apple company

>custom ROM support
jesus christ i just want to buy a phone like a normal fucking person for once

>Redmi 5 plus
Wrong phone, Redmi Note 5 (SD636 version) is the one you want

It has an IPS screen so even when disabled, it's not going to blend completely with the top bezel.

I've known several people who have gotten their phones fucked up by dropping them into a pool/toilet/sink/puddle or have just gotten them messed up by rain. It's a good peace of mind feature to have. Removable batteries aren't going to be mainstream again, no matter how much some people want them to.