How can you recommend linux to a normal user with a straight face and then blaming them if they whine the system is...

how can you recommend linux to a normal user with a straight face and then blaming them if they whine the system is harder to use?
its like recommending a car that requires you to be a mechanic because it breaks down 4 times a day and then not seeing a problem with it.
for some work stuff i have used few distros (ubuntu/lime/manjaro/arch/debian) but honestly my private time is more valuable than continuously repairing minor fuckups especially after updates.

Attached: 1517084112959.jpg (640x1136, 311K)

>set up my linux home server a year ago
>does routing, dns, file server
>has more uptime than my ISP
Yeah you're just a fag

if you havent realized im talking about normal desktop use, not server.

>setup pcie passthrough on my main machine
>the setup works more reliable than the windows installation inside
You're still just a fag

You sort-of have a valid point except that I never claim Linux is super-userfriendly and strait forward. If someone asks then I'll tell them that it has a learning-curve, which really does have.

I'm also guessing you have "problems" because you're new to it. Something that would take me 30 seconds to fix - basically something I don't even notice doing - could easily take 30 minutes to figure out if you have to search and read and guess. I've been using it since Windows 98 was popular so it's naturally a different experience for me compared to someone who just installed it.

My completely tech clueless friend uses antergos on the recommendation of their father and has used it throughout medical school. It's honestly not hard to use

Fixed the image for you

Attached: 1517084112959.jpg (3408x1136, 455K)

Ubuntu actually has made a lot of shit pretty easy for a beginner. My family uses Linux but then again they don't do pretty much anythung other than browsing the web, watching movies and editing documents. The problem is many of these online guides complicate stuff that have pretty straightforward GUI solution for Ubuntu (For eg- scheduling updates) with complicated solitions needing the terminal.

>its like recommending a car that requires you to be a mechanic because it breaks down 4 times a day and then not seeing a problem with it.
a better analogy would be that it's like recommending a manual car to an American, and having the burger complain that he can't drive it.

There's a difference between using something and maintaining or repairing, then again for average Linux user fixing system fuck ups is part of daily routine

I'd recommend for most people to stay on their dumbphone seeing how many zoomers aren't even able to install a program on Window these days.

>ok mom start by installing tixati and clicking on the magnet iso
>ok mom now open Rufus
>turn the computer off and press all the F keys
>ok mom now type f as in fuck, d as in dick, i as in incest s as in sex k as in kneel then forward slash d as in dick, e as in embarrassed, v as in vulva, slash s as in solo, d as in dildo, a as in asshole
>ok now make sda3 your swap partition, that's M as in master race, K as in kansas and then the word swap and then slash dev slash sda3
>ok now type p as in pussy, a as in anal c as in cuck, then the word strap slash mnt base
>ok great now your installed mom! :D You just need to DKMS your proprietary wifi drivers and you can start installing apps with pacman -S haha yeah like the game pacman
>Oh theres no drivers for your card?
>Do you have a wired ethernet cord?
>Ok I'll buy an adapter for your laptop to use an ethernet cord

Attached: feels.jpg (1262x709, 117K)

If they can navigate windows, they can navigate ubuntu and its "app store". Youre talking about distros where terminal has to be used frequently and there are several fuck easy distros where you dont. This post is retarded

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I think that OP is pointing out that, for the average user, there's really no benefit to use linux.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons that you would want to use linux over Windows and macOS. Most people don't want to initially put that much effort into using their computers, and you can't really fault them for that.

you are completely right. I would not recommend any Linux distro to someone who isn't at least somewhat tech savvy.

I might consider setting someone up with a plain LTS Ubuntu if all they want out of their pc is a machine for browsing, which becomes increasingly rare these days.

I've been using Linux for 3 years (first Ubuntu then Mint) and except for a problem with wifi driver I had in Ubuntu some time ago never had any issue with Mint and touched the terminal just for learning purposes, never to fix stuff.

>there's really no benefit to use linux
Freedom as in freedom

I'm not even interested in computing, just a passer by, but even I installed lubuntu and got all the drivers working within 1 hour (10 year old laptop with Broadcom, had to google for the drivers and where to put them). Otherwise shit was easy as fuck.

I'm the install wasn't harder than MS, there I also had to google for drivers.

>becomes increasingly rare
You meant common? Now normalfaggots don't even use MO, they just use some free online alternative like what Google has.

Normal people were not recommended linux until they started shit posting on Jow Forums

>microsoft pushes intel microcode which results in bootloops
>to uninstall you have to use "cryptic console commands"
how can you claim microsoft is user friendly?
you can't expect normal users to use the command line
oh wait, maybe you can.

at the end of the day every system is unstable.
the only difference is that one teaches you the tools to solve your problem, while the other tries to hide them as much as possible.

Attached: 1478782731079.jpg (300x198, 17K)

>their

found my new wallpaper

who unironically uses linux for general computing? everyone knows linux is for supercomputers and servers.

*GNU/Linux

>new to linux in general and just set up my raspberry pi with raspbian
>change /boot/config.txt to rotate monitor to portrait mode
>reboot
>display isn't rotated, config is reset
>google shit, all I find is some guys mention fried SD cards and other unlikely shit
>reinstall raspbian, change locale, try again
>after a few fruitless tries it just suddenly works
Is this the linux experience?

Attached: 1518139741971.jpg (700x933, 114K)

the only thing that was a pain in the ass to set up was my graphics card.

This.

>Basedndows updates break the system
and, like a explosive diarrhea, shows up in the worst moments ever
>Can't do any advanced configuration coz the system don't allow it.
>Not even Microshit use his own product as servers.
>Had to rely on piracy to spread their shit across the world and make a legion of people dependant of it
>Botnet

>Using the English language in a way it is totally valid to be used is noteworthy

We only recommend Linux to those who we deem as intelligent enough to utilize it to its fullest.

>because it breaks down 4 times a day
This is definitely a lie.

>for some work stuff i have used few distros (ubuntu/lime/manjaro/arch/debian)
>arch
>work
Very interesting

>>Using the English language in a way it is totally valid to be used is noteworthy

Attached: 1519917836175.png (927x665, 218K)

can't

Gave my grandma my old computer, didn't give a fuck and slapped Fedora on it. She is very happy with it.

Parents bought Laptop with Windows 8, downgraded to Windows 10. They have problems all the time.

In all honesty for casual usage Linux is much simpler than Windows, in fact it became so simple it bores me most of the time.

>lets add subtitles to a video player
>dragging and dropping doesnt work
>google for 30 minutes on how to do it
>all the linux tards say they just wrote a program to do it

Literally fell for a meme os, good thing i only put it on my craptop im only using to watch movies and videos but even that is too much for linux to handle.

Attached: 1533452992832.png (384x378, 118K)

Both Linux and Win10 are shit. Why does no one understand.
Each has it's own fuckups.
Just use a dual boot and get the best out of both worlds. Switching to one side out of pure fanboyism is the worst decision.

>learning-curve
Is it really a learning curve or just getting used to the new way of how things are done compared to Windows?

I use both Linux and MS and I think MS is way harder to get shit done, because everything is god knows where hidden under tons of menus

It depends on what the user does. If they aren't trying to do anything special then they aren't going to have those problems with Windows

Undecicive idort! Your computer will become a transvestite. If anything at all use two different harddrives, one for Linux one for Windows ... and a seperate data drive.

neither on Linux

If I wasn't recommended installing Linux some 8 years ago with a straight face I wouldn't have the job I have right now.

Sometimes you gotta get out of your comfort zone you nigger.

Generally speaking, people that know what they're doing

exactly what I do

I, personally, expect people on Jow Forums to not be retarded which is why whenever someone asks for an OS recommendation I tell them to install Gentoo GNU+Linux.

Attached: 1514989920786.jpg (804x931, 362K)

The only problems I have with Linux desktop use is when I decide to use it outside of normal use. Do things I'd never dream of doing in windows/mac environments.

I don't think there's problems if you're an actual normal user using Ubuntu.

Why dualboot when you can simply install GNU?

Attached: Screenshot (31).png (1920x1080, 747K)

L I N U X
I S
F O R
T E C H I E S

normies use: Windows or MacOS

Linux is easy to use, the problem is still games.
Even Steam Proton and DXVK are still too early to recommend.

what is harder to use? you click on shit, it opens

I personally don't give a shit how many people use Linux and won't ever try to shove it down anyone's throat. The beauty of free software is that even if it has a worldwide market share of 12 users, it's still a viable product because open source products aren't dependent on sales for their survival.

>setup linux on laptop 3 years ago
>still running fine without issues
>setup linux on workstation 8 years ago
>had a disk failure, now running on ssd
>changed distribution once 4 years ago
>still working fine without issues
>setup linux on netbook 2 years ago
>slow af betbook, but otherwise running fine without issues
I could go on with 3 Raspberry Pis, some VPSs, a server in my garage,but you get what I'm saying. The only magic is knowing that you have to pick debian.

Attached: 1497639952254.png (1920x1200, 564K)

You give them elementaryOS
seriously, it just werks, the package manager just werks. everything werks.

>its like recommending a car that requires you to be a mechanic because it breaks down 4 times a day and then not seeing a problem with it.
>le linux is broken meme
90% of the time it's because someone can't into manual shift and fucks up their engine, not the other way around. Windows is even more broken, and there is no mechanic to fix it.

I'm still running the same Xubuntu install on a laptop. It never had a fuckup. I guess we'll see if it does once Xubuntu 20 comes in with Xfce 4.14, but I doubt anything will break.

i use musl/bsd/busybox/clang/Linux

>use manjaro on desktop for general shit + some programming
>never have to use the terminal, update packages through a GUI whenever octopi tells me to, nothing breaks
>install xubuntu on gf's laptop
>she manages just fine, the only time i've had to help her was when 17.10 stopped being supported and she had to upgrade to 18.04

loonix is soo hard

>linux is hard to use

maybe you're just too stupid to use computers.

Attached: pebkac.jpg~c200.jpg (200x200, 4K)

Linux is for servers, macOS is for desktops, Windows is for gamerz and accounting firms.

fucking cringe.

retarded kids should fuck off back to 9gag

that just reminded me of fire punch, what a wild ride

Attached: file.png (391x600, 601K)

The analogy doesn't hold up. It's more like the difference between driving an automatic with a service contract, and driving a manual that you can pick apart yourself. It takes a little time getting used to it.

no it's becoming rare because people like this will not even own a laptop any more. Either they buy a Macbook or they will make due with a tablet or just a phone.

>recommending a car that requires you to be a mechanic because it breaks down 4 times a day
>linux
>breaks down

All my normalfaggot acquaintaces and family use a computer. Macbooks aren't worth considering since they are too expensive for the vast majority of hoi polloi. Bigger screen and faster typing are two key features tablets and phones will never get. Despite the 'what's a computer' meme, tablets are just too shit (there's a reason they get no sales).

I also prefer generic he, but singular they has been a thing for many decades. I believe it was introduced more to be more understandable to brainlets
>how can 'he' refer to woman
than to appease then non-existent SJWs.

epic meme

>it breaks down 4 times a day
You're talking Windows there.
I used to administrate Windows and Linux machines for a university chair. Windows boxes meant constant work. Linux servers never had to be serviced even once.

>super saiyan
Accurate

No one cares. Seriously, They dont care. Laptops come with windows. Only enthusiasts go out of their way just to try something different for better or worse. I dont know why yall talk about this so much.

However, if you expect mainstream support make a distro that works 100% with no command line for installing and updating all drivers and regular programs. I should be able to go to google and get a result to an executable that will install with one click and no fuss.

t. xubuntu user on shitty laptop. It is actually quite nice, I like the experience.

Xubuntu is absolutely based but I will use next LTS to switch to Kubuntu because I've seen that it comes with a very nice KDE dark theme. XFCE seems to be getting outdated and it still has that screen tearing problem out of the box.

Someone post the windows version that is just the screencaps reversed

Ubuntu is actually better than Windows for normies with shitty cheap laptops who just use them for web browsing. Safer, too.

Attached: dele.png (343x447, 6K)

t. FreeBSD developer and user who adheres to the CoC

I don't recommend people use any OS, I don't feel the need to "convert" people like a faggot.

This, been on windows for my whole life and Ubuntu was a fucking breeze to figure out, having direct control over your kernel is great