Why dont they weld heatsyncs?

Its come to my attention that all the huge cpu heatsyncs we use are cheaply made and just friction fit and not welded. noticed gamer nexus talking about this and also noticed some of the much smaller ITX/SFF coolers perform about the same probably because they are welded?

are we buying oversized over heavy stuff and putting up with more noise because the construction method is just cheap.

basically they are only aluminium because with a friction fit aluminium is about the same but if it was welded aluminium (hard to do) it would be like 15deg cooler and if it was welded copper it would be like 25deg cooler.

are we all just putting up with noise because these brands are cheap.

if welding is that expensive to do could we remove the blades and weld it ourself I have guy across street that could weld copper to copper and has friend with tig wilder or what ever that I could do aluminum to copper which would be cheaper. obviously its fine work but I don't mind buying a smaller welding attachment for 50$ or what ever if it makes my cpu coolers 80% quitter.

Attached: ninja2-large.jpg (1846x2016, 300K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2016.05.013
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I invoke Global Rule 2 and end my turn.

friction fit is perfectly fine for something that doesn't move

Are you always this stupid or is today a special occasion

t. noctua shills with 150$ coolers.

its not about movement its that the friction fit doesn't transfer basically any heat compared to a weld.

(You)

Attached: chopsticks.gif (689x604, 586K)

Why don't you just make a custom loop instead of trying to wring a few more degrees out of air?

because these crap made coolers are already as good as watercooling?

you realize a copper heat pipes are full of gas that turns from gas to liquid and is more efficient than water so essentially these are watercooled as well.

>heatsynch

Good to know the temperature will be uniform.

Do you want to pay 200$ for a hyper 212 type cooler OP? Because welding the lot is going to be skill + time == $$

Or just get an AMD and the temperatures won't be a problem.

tempratures tend to not be a problem when the architecture doesn't let you overclock very high at all before failing long before temp is a issue.

Well, you don't need as much overclocking when you have more cores.

Use the money you save on the AMD to buy buy that welding shit.

mm I just wonder if welding it buy hand is worth it like can I do a good enough job hmm I assume the server coolers and ITX coolers that are welded are done via a machine?

>clockspeed fag talking out his ass again
I didn't realize there were still retards out there who though clockspeed was just a go fast button. IPC and core count matters

>ITX coolers that are welded are done via a machine

Chinese babies are technically machines, so yes they are welded by machine.

Seething intel corelet.

>are we all just putting up with noise because these brands are cheap.
Cooling might be important, but who cares about fan noise? Are you some "immersive" gamer?

underrated post

>Cooling might be important, but who cares about fan noise? Are you some "immersive" gamer?
Nah nigger. I lived with a shitty stock fan that made a high pitched jet engine noise constantly, and when I rebuilt my PC I got a silent as fuck fan and my life has never been better.

You fucking cunt, stop giving me the giggles

I think the bigger problem here is that your CPU apparently is/was constantly under load.

No response? Guess you are the one who is "80% quitter".

It'd be cheaper and easier to use thermal paste to get better contact but these "top of the line GAMER edition" heatsinks don't even have that.

But your intel chip is already full of top of the line thermal paste. Why do you need more?

?

would removing the fins then putting thermal paste on the tubes and putting them back on work. im worried it will wided the holes in the fins and fuck the fit/heat transfer up more.

Wait are you saying weld the heat sink onto the CPU?

Tell me I misunderstood you?

no the fins of the heatsink touching the heat pipe. some of the better low profile coolers for ITX builds weld them and they perform almost as good as the huge ones if they welded the big ATX ones your pc would literally be silent. but they don't because its cheaper to just friction fit them

CPU connection to the plate & heat tubes tend to be where the heat transfer bottleneck is. not where the radiator are to dissipate it.

you can heat it up and solder them on yourself, takes like 10 mins. temps don't change

then why to ITX coolers which are like 3x smaller get the same temps as massive huge ATX tower coolers.. the only difference is the little ones have welded fins.

you sound like you never hear about this before and because its out of your control you dismiss it.

I understand making coolers this way would make them like double the price but if it makes them perform like 2/3x better why don't we do it ourself?

Can you recommend me itx lp cooler which performs similary to nh d15?

>nh d15
that is 6-8x more fin surface area than the coolers im talking about im more talking about the best ITX 68mm cooler compared to a hyper 212. they have like the same performance but the hyper is friction fit and has 3x the serface area while the ITX is welded and 3x smaller.

if the nh d15 had welded fins it could be like 3x smaller and provide same cooling with a thin single tower instead of 2 huge friction fit stacks.

NH D15 size cooler with welded fins fucking when?

Try welding aluminum to copper and get back to me dumbass

Attached: 10113.jpg (605x579, 55K)

Look at the reply at the noctua boomer lol thread and see the noctua salty bluepill reply. Not sure if the thread is still up tho.

>weld, not braze
>aluminum to copper

It's enough contact over area to make soldering not needed.

>Smaller coolers soldered have better perf

Show me one. And show me one review, even a paid shill one.

>Make bigger and heavy to sell more costly

You dipshit, if someone made a smaller cooler that managed to attain same perf as noctua DHS 15 you don't think people would like to buy it for same price? They don't sell materials, they sell thermal solutions.

>then why to ITX coolers which are like 3x smaller get the same temps as massive huge ATX tower coolers.. the only difference is the little ones have welded fins

They dont. Show me a miserable source and one that isn't a 5000 rpm fan

Not him but technically not weld but . Usually using ultrasonic rub dem together, this will cause the HSF to get at least 50% price increase tho. Same process used to make your IV bags when you overdose on taco.

>heatsync
>distrobution
truly normalfags has invaded this site

The only way tho weld disimilar metals is blast welding. Which requires explosives. On second thought why arnt we doing this.

How can I tell if a heatsink is working or not? I replaced the one on my geforce 4 and I don't think it has any temperature sensor so I have no idea if it's doing anything. It only mounted with 2 push pins so I'm not sure if it has much mounting pressure. It does get quite warm to the touch though

>then why to ITX coolers which are like 3x smaller get the same temps as massive huge ATX tower coolers.. the only difference is the little ones have welded fins.
inb4 this fucking retard is talking about idle temps.

Attached: 1535691776839.png (670x499, 111K)

why not braze/solder it? several heatpipes could be attached to one fin very quickly

you'd just reach 0.1C above ambient rather than 0.4C above ambient

I don't know much about welding but the heat pipes are not actually solid and contain a fluid inside them. I don't know if a weld would damage them. I'd say probably not but it'd be worth considering.

Have you ever tried to solder to a ground plane or other large metallic surface? It's not easy. On a PCB ground plane you'd usually use thermal reliefs to slow the escape of heat from the pad long enough to allow you to make a good solder joint but you wouldn't wanna do this on a heatsink as it'd significantly reduce its performance.

ITX is always warmer buddy
low profile coolers are engineered better, which is why they're 2-4 times the price of the same amount of metal for a big cooler. But they still aren't as good.

behold, the fanless heatsync

Attached: 1520341596583.jpg (700x1316, 451K)

nice. Superior korean engineering

>what is liquid metal

It's a product with way more thermal resistivity than copper and even aluminium. But retarded gamers hear the word metal coming from their favourite techtuber and they absolutely have to buy it.
Unless you lap the IHS and heatsink to lab grade surface roughness to minimize the thermal paste/interface/compound, and use some space age conductor with noticeably higher conductivity than your heatsink or the indium under the IHS, then he is right, the biggest bottleneck are those compounds.

This is basically bullshit. If you use soft metals such as alu and copper you would have like 5% more heat transfer with weld joint. How do you feel heat from radiator on your hand even if it is not welded to it?

And.... still works better than any other medium.

Would soldering them suffice? Because that's a much simpler mod to do.

Kekked

It'd be simpler to solder them in-place, probably more effective too.

Can't we just solder them?

because how do you weld a thin copper heatpipe without melting it to aluminium?

>can't even fucking spell the thing he's trying to complain about

Get the fuck out.

Because it maksies the sinkies sticky wicky melty metalsies and it will be very hotsies. Heat sinky should be cooly wooly not hotty wotty :*

Attached: gleap.gif (350x258, 1.55M)

processors work just fine below 100 celsius degrees and you should run them above that temp for several years before you kill them, you care too much about a stupid computer

The correct answer which nobody has provided OP is that heatpipes are filled with fluid, you can't heat it to welding temperature without destroying them.

nah, it would definitely work with a laser, the walls are thick enough for it.
the problem is, that it would be way too expansive, the only reasonable solution would be to solder the pipes to the aluminum sheets. that way you could do all fusion zones at the same time.

not everyone wants to kill their cpu

It's the motherboard I care about, it's more valuable than something I can buy off ebay for $20.

How do you know that? How can you check that's true without destroying the cooler? I don't trust packaging.

Brazing, very common. The real issue is the thickness of the plates if they can take the heat they will just be warped and look like crap.

What about arctic silver? Silver is the highest thermal conductivity metal afaik

>nah, it would definitely work with a laser, the walls are thick enough for it.
Do you have any idea how thermally conductive copper is?

This fucking autist again.

Attached: 3d695e2787e3b007c082dfeedd4725d11245ddb27ed241725dea0dafc4593b1e.png (279x316, 146K)

>How do you know that?

How do I know what a heat pipe is? Google?

Yeah yeah but how do you know theres liquid inside and not just a cheap copper tube?

Heat pipes have liquid in them by definition. Just look up videos of people slicing open heat pipes on youtube if you doubt liquid content.

Great but how do I check that my personal recently bought radiator has liquid inside without damaging it? I tried shaking it when I unboxed it and didn't hear swishing.

Buy two and cut one open. Odds are if you got two of the same models from the same brand at the same time both will either have fluid or not have fluid. It's highly unlikely you get one with and one without.

>radiator

you mean heat sink? they always have liquid in them, that's how they work. Why the fuck would you have an empty copper tube?

I bought one of those *FULL COPPER* coolers on aliexpress and it's been somewhat underwhelming

>aliexpress

lol, bet you got tin electroplated with copper.

Is that bad? I thought tin is used in soldering. God fucking damnit, i fucking bet that's why he said it's fragile and not to scratch it

>heatsync
Just get a solder and melt those shit to connect directly you underage faggot.

Get a fx then?

>I thought tin is used in soldering

lmao, that means it's soft and melts at low temperatures, that's one of the reasons it's good in solder. Makes for a poor heatsink though.

why not just, like, put thermal grease on before friction fitting

Oofffff so whats a good heatsink to get for FX 6350 and its VRMs?

I dunno man, I've been using a Hyper 212 with my i5-3570K since 2012 and that's been fine for me.

>I understand making coolers this way would make them like double the price
itwould more than double the price faggot

>but if it makes them perform like 2/3x
it would only perform like 1.1x better

Probably because of cracking potential right? Those pipes are supposed to contain some form of transfer medium like a liquid. If you weld you heat up the copper, the liquid expands a lot and maybe that can form cracks.
Even if it's successful most of the time you'd be taking the loss from the few that don't.

Welding is expensive of course. Find me a study about the thermal transfer between welds and friction fits it'd let us judge. They did do their best to increase the surface area though.

>his temperatures aren't syncronized
how does it feel to still have async temps in 2018, eh granpa?

enjoy your cooling lag, noob

The point of coolers is to minimize as much as possible the thermal gradient between the CPU and ambient, because it's thermal cycling who kills electronics not temperatures by themselves, silicon chips can easily operate at 120°C.
The point is that all electronics isn't made exclusively from silicon, there are other materials inside, more notably metals and silicon oxides, which behaves totally differently when exposed to temperature, like coefficient of expansion or specific heat. It causes stress on the material.

tldr: Cooling isn't just for street cred, it actively increases the lifespan of electronics

Any anons with a thermal camera or a non contact IR thermometer? Just put a piece of black tape on each of the fins and on one of the heat pipes and measure whether there's a major temperature difference. Anyhow, soldering anything to a heat pipe sounds horrendous considering their purpose is to transfer heat.

blow torch

Wrong. Metals close enough to each other transfer heat almost as well as if they were connected. Thats how those metal fan coolers work.

manufacturing Aerospace fag here weld/brazing/assembly ex.

ok so
1. Welding Copper to anything (including itself) is hard as fuck and not even possible with aluminum. Paying a skilled welder to TIG copper would be expensive. it would also be hard to find anything skilled enough to do it.

2. brazing would be possible, but would TAKE waayyy too long to braze a heat sink. and the temp required for braze would warp sheet metal to hell.

3. Weld and Braze don't acually conduct heat that well because they superheat and fuck with the metal's base structure. In aerospace you don't have any welded or Brazed joints where electrical conductivity is needed.

4. A laser welder could do it, but laser welding is expensive ($2mill+ machine) and they are notoriously finicky.

TONS OF MONEY AND TIME
ALL FOR basically NO GAIN
GEE I WONDER WHY THEY DON'T DO IT.

Whycome they don't make heatsinks that look like coral?

Attached: lxgrowth.jpg (1200x720, 470K)

>coral
I've seen 3d models of it, but no real ones.
The normal Plate/Copper method works well, probably better that some Coral sink

Why don't we use neural networks and evolutionary algorithms to come up with a near-optimal heatsink design like NASA did with their antennas?

Attached: rUdmMg4.png (658x296, 171K)

Personally, I'd like to see 100% Silver heatsinks

That's exactly what they did, and the result was coral.
doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2016.05.013