Linux is just a kernel

>Linux is just a kernel

Attached: BA8EE95D-AD22-4877-B922-CFC4A4D6F49D.jpg (558x614, 19K)

>Linux is more than just a kernel

Attached: BD249743-3A3E-44F9-B25C-89E29C78744C.jpg (680x608, 91K)

>Arch Linux or any other distro for that sake is not more than just a kernel
Thanks for proving OP’s point, brainlet.

but it is...

>words can only have one meaning
>"Linux" can't be used to refer to just the kernel and to a ready-to-be-used distribution based on the Linux kernel
>Words get their meaning from dictionary-style definitions instead of how they're actually used.
>"Linux" is usually used to refer to a linux distribution and this is wrong because an older definition and less known definition exists

Attached: it_approaches.png (399x404, 123K)

>it’s called GANOO Linux
t. Stallman

There are distros with just Linux, like Alpine and Android, and there are distros with GNU and Linux, like Debian and Slackware.

And "linux" is used for both. Now fuck off

You fuck off.

There are distros with GNU and Linux and KDE. And distros with GNU and Linux and Mozilla Firefox.
You don't need to name every single piece of software that comes bundled with it. Kill yourself

I propose calling it systemd/linux instead

Those distros would not exist without GNU.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

it is
the os is called gnu

They literally can though; GCC and the Linux Kernel are the only two things ""required"" for a Linux distro, and even then calling it GNU/Linux is fucking stupid, Why you ask?
Let's imagine I write a program and use GCC to compile said program, now my program needs to be called GNU/$MY_PROGRAM_NAME because ""muh contributions!!"" just because I use that compiler? If that's the case, then fuck you, I'll use Clang.
Also, I typed ""required"" because reallistically, the only constant throughout ALL LINUX DISTROS is, guess what?. the Linux Kernel, so fuck off.

based and redpilled

Attached: gnuisnotunix.jpg (391x500, 102K)

The kernel is the operating system. Coreutils and the init system are software. Refute this.

They can't. Non-ring0 plebs should just STFU.

>samefaggin

>GNU is a Unix-like operating system.
>The development of GNU started in 1984

Tell me whats wrong with that

Attached: 1530339624569.jpg (400x465, 29K)

the kernel is part of the operating system, with programs vital to the user experience also being part of it
there's a reason the windows kernel is named "nt operating system kernel"

"you fuck off!"
"no you fuck off!"

Are you niggas fuckin kids or something? LOL

I guess you could just call GNU/Linux GNU.
At least people wouldn't think your talking about a kernel. Probably less confusion.
Thanks, I'll just call my OS GNU from now on.

Good idea. Count me in.

>durr echo is an os component durrr i made gnu/linux u gaiz

Attached: brainlet5.png (408x406, 36K)