/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Use HWinfo, SIV, etc. not Speccy
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

CPU
>i3 8100 - Bare minimum gaming
>R3 2200G/R5 2400G - If you aren't buying a GPU
>i5 8400 - Best value for gaming
>R5 2600/x - Good for multithreaded work
>i7 8700k/R7 2700x - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform OR wait for intel 9th gen (est. release November)
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>wait for RTX 2000 if you are rich
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Avoid Vega since Nvidia has sales now
>1070Ti/1080 /w a 75+ hz monitor
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>1080Ti medium/high settings
>2080Ti

Storage
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more (Read with caution, it's a site made by an AMD shill)

Previous

Attached: kino.jpg (600x450, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/mHpXV6
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/v42JpG
amazon.ca/uphere-3-Pack-Computer-Cooling-12BK3-3/dp/B07BVPJ5XW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1535835513&sr=8-2&keywords=cooling fans pc
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/cWchvn
evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6571-KR
designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/
techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/page8.html
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/mJfhP6/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb-cerberus-video-card-cerberus-gtx1070ti-a8g
newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202318&cm_re=vega-_-14-202-318-_-Product
gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070WF2OC-8GD-rev-20#kf
coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
pcpartpicker.com/list/hmg6NQ
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what should I use for a gpu if I want 1440p 144hz gaymen.

Hey Is buying used GPU's really a that bad of an idea? I'm spying a 1080 on amazon for $380 """very good""" from a seller with 97% with 11,000 ratings. Can I trust this?

Attached: 1433561624820.jpg (960x960, 82K)

Attached: file.png (337x17, 3K)

Considering a Vega 56 over a 1070 Ti, but I hate noise. Is it even worth the effort to undervolt a Vega 56 to reduce noise and power consumption? Or just get a fucking 1070 Ti?

It's probably fine, check the seller's most recent reviews and see if there's any mention of people getting scammed. If not, go for it. If it does turn out to be a scam you can probably get refunded by Amazon or paypal

Get a fucking 1070ti

Attached: screen.png (1919x1083, 710K)

1080 not enough?

Why is i3-8100 considered a tier below 2200g despite being comparable to 2400g.

2200g < 8100 < 2400g
But 2400g is a terrible buy in general because it's the same price as a 2600

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/mHpXV6

How's this for a low fuss, moderately priced, long lasting build? I was thinking 8GB RAM but recently decided to go balls deep and opt for 16GB

No idea what I'm doing with regard to power supply.
Regarding case, just wanted something cheap and plain with good airflow

Seasonic is a good Power supply brand, as to that one specifically you could google reviews.

Other good options are the EVGA SuperNova line

> No idea what I'm doing with regard to power supply.
Figures you'd probably be fine with a Corsair VS450 [model 2018 if you want a LOT of SATA power plugs in reserve].

Pulling the trigger on this come Labour day. What do you guys think?
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/v42JpG
also im ordering these fans as well,
amazon.ca/uphere-3-Pack-Computer-Cooling-12BK3-3/dp/B07BVPJ5XW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1535835513&sr=8-2&keywords=cooling fans pc
i figure they're probably shit but 15$ for three fans is too good to pass up.

Attached: 1532018996224.jpg (852x852, 118K)

Reposting please respond

Attached: Its joke.jpg (480x537, 25K)

>But 2400g is a terrible buy in general because it's the same price as a 2600
Its a terrible gaymen or such buy.

For work machine usage it does save you a discrete GPU and most of the power that uses [>20W in most instances, with a gaymen tier GPU even 100W+], right?

Is 350$ for the 1070 founders edition a good deal?

Attached: 1498212569992-v.gif (576x324, 2.9M)

Not in the US, when you can get a 1080 for around $400

Founders edition generally has a subpar fan, generally blower fans so they're loud and not as cool

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/cWchvn

How's this for a build with the intention of buying new GPU and maybe CPU in 2 years without changing any other parts?

anyone have steam play benchmarks? if so is it good for shit like quake champs, killing floor 2, warframe(?), and maybe fallouts 3 and NV with mods?

get either a bigger ssd or a secondary HDD 250 is smol. otherwise it doesn't seem to bad unless you can get a 580 for about 10-20% more

Good enough if you are fine with turning down some settings and settling for ~120 AVG FPS

I already have 2 HDDs I will use from my current PC.

like the other guy said, Founders edition generally has shit cooling. Here's a 1070 with dual fans for about the same price:

evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6571-KR

just confirming; Ryzen handles Dolphin emulator nicely?
I assume older consoles emulate fine on it too?

>16GB RAM
>$248.00

Intel Shill OP, kill yourself.

you're gucci

That's Australia for you.

If I install the heatsink too tightly, can the cpu's pins get bent?

OP is actually good now, find a flaw

I want to build a new top end PC when RTX 2080 Ti comes out. Should I wait for next gen Intel CPU's or buy a 8700K?

Is 1060 3gb worth it over 1050 ti?

Is 1080p on the verge of obsolescence? If I buy a 1080p monitor for my new computer, how much will I regret it in four years?

Don't they come out literally this month?

> how much will I regret it in four years?
Possibly not at all if it's not too big.

Because you won't start seeing individual pixels in four years, and your GPU will have an easier time either way.

Help? Please.

BTW one of the calculators that can give you a pointer is here:
designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/

And realistically you actually need to be quite a bit closer to feel bothered. Most immediately saw why it was nice to move on from VGA, but the majority of people wasn't particularly looking forward to moving on from 1920x1080 to 3840×2160.
Because you don't even see the problem except when you're close to a large screen, but you definitely see the extra cost of 4k.

Should not be possible if the CPU is seated properly.

Don't overdo it with how tightly you install your heatsink regardless, you can still break things.

Please respond

Attached: Me crying in different locations.jpg (640x619, 82K)

Probably just some 22 to 24" - ish TN or IPS monitor that runs at 60hz? There is no budget for anything fancy at $200.

About the stand, get a cheap table as extension from Ikea, or replace your current one. There's also the possibility to get a monitor with a VESA mounting bracket and attach that to a crane arm thing that you attach to your table or the wall or ceiling.

will 9th gen intel cpu's still have the vunerabilities currently on 8th gen?

is the i5 8400 reasonably future proof? Would it give me 60+fps for a long time with a 1070 Ti or should I commit to Ryzen?

They indicated they'd [obviously] fix the Meltdown / Spectre issue.

Is that fixing everything? Probably not. x86 CPU are complex monsters, someone might just find something again.

Of course it will be fine for 60FPS. Ryzen will do 60FPS no problem too, though.

>is the i5 8400 reasonably future proof?
Yea, but so are Ryzen.

Why? Because console hardware sucks anyhow, smartphones will not catch up any time soon either [power consumption is vastly different], and PC game makers are also overwhelmingly trying to not release titles that only run on the latest hardware.

I'd go with Ryzen either way.

I thought Ryzen was supposed to be cheaper, but i'm seeing 8400 around the same price as a 2600.

Is 2600 only good if you overclock it or is it still good in stock mode with a good GPU?

8400 > 2600 in games

Pic related, it barely matters for games [particularly if you consider 1440p the predictor for the near future].

However you'll see the Ryzen is quite a serious (30%-ish) bit faster in multithreaded benchmarks. That might help if more developers manage to achieve better threading, or if you later just make it into your Gentoo-compiling Linux desktop.

Attached: Average.png (1338x1181, 70K)

Forgot sauce:
techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/page8.html

Thank you very much for the advice user. Have a great weekend.

Attached: Thank you for reading my post.png (712x396, 267K)

>barely matters
lmao sure if you can oc your 2600 to 4.2ghz with 3400 ram

I should wait until next year if I want to do 1440p 144hz without wasting my money on stuff that's going to be worthless in 6 or so months, right?

What are some cheap cases can hold a 12"x13" motherboard?

Looking at pccasegear for Australia;
>8400 at $269
>2600 at $219
>2600x at $309

Keep in mind I'm likely getting a 1070 Ti and want to play at max settings, 60fps, 1080p, and I'd rather avoid OC if possible. Not sure how much those graph figures would change without the 1080 Ti.

And as I understand, with an 8400 you can get a cheaper mobo, and less need for fast ram, making the price gap larger still.

I'm just struggling to see how ryzen wins the argument for a gaming build, but I'll stand corrected

>NEWEGG LABOR DAY SALE!
>1950X
>749.99!!!

MSRP isn't a sale when you can already buy the same CPU for cheaper on Amazon, Newegg.

>1440p 144hz

You're already wasting your money, why wait?

Why are people retarded?

Want to go 1440p gaming on my existing PC. I don't own a monitor but I'll probably get a 144hz with whatever brand's adaptive sync I go with.
>ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Strix Aura Gaming 8gb - $729
>ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Strix Aura 8gb - $849
>ASUS ROG Radeon RX Vega 56 Strix Gaming OC 8gb - $629
>ASUS ROG Radeon RX Vega 64 Strix Gaming OC 8gb - $749
Each of these are on PC Case Gear in Ausfaggot currency. 1080 isn't worth the price leap over the 1070ti in my opinion, but try change my mind.
Which one and why?

Attached: 1517372909-ROG-STRIX-RXVEGA64-O8G-GAMING-th.jpg (235x221, 20K)

>cheaper mobo
Find a deal
>expensive ram
Its an investment.

You are not going to get 4.2ghz with a 2600 unless you win the silicon lottery and have an expensive cooling set up.

You can flash the Vega to 64
There is some trick to make nvidia work with freesync

>buy amd even if it’s worse and costs more, goy. Think of it as an investment....

How relevant is the inexpensive AMD gpu with a freesync monitor combo really? I am planning a new build with a 1080 ti, and I already have a freesync monitor. It'd be nice to be able to take advantage of that.

>>buy amd even if it’s worse and costs more, goy. Think of it as an investment....
Bad goy!

Attached: angry-jew-300x263.jpg (300x263, 8K)

My 20 pin connector is fully( or at least almost) completely connected to the mobo, the mobo is receiving power but the connector did not snap on. Should I be worried? I pushed it down as hard as I could without bending the mobo.

how good/bad is the stock cooler on ryzen 2600?

And why wouldn't you be doing this already?

Because at that price point you can get a 8700.

au.pcpartpicker.com/product/mJfhP6/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb-cerberus-video-card-cerberus-gtx1070ti-a8g

This is the cheapest 1070 Ti I've seen. Is it lacking anything important compared to more expensive ones?

Is 1060 3gb enough for ps3 emu.

I'm looking to upgrade right now and I mainly play computer games with my friends and re encode movies. Would intel or AMD be a better fit? (Budget is around Ryzen 1800 at the moment)

I know of the flash, but I'm dubious of my inability to not brick hardware whilst playing with firmware. Having said that, the price difference might be convince me to have a go. Vegas just seem to be unusually good value in Aus the last 2 months.
It helps a great deal, but if you have the cash to splurge on a 1080ti, I wouldn't worry. I'd still be getting G-sync on a 1440p 144hz with a 1080ti, although "high" settings in most games the 80ti should manage well over 100fps.

Just not the best cooler.

No, look at the 1440p or 1080p frame rates - OC'd or not, the difference is fucking nothing. You'll probably be replacing that machine at the same time if games remain this way.

If you do something more multithreaded besides games or games become a bit more multithreaded, having that 30% extra performance might be quite noticeable.

newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202318&cm_re=vega-_-14-202-318-_-Product

This seems like a pretty good discount, does it make Vega 56 a good proposition over 1070Ti?

Cheapest and best minimal mid-full size case
>Fits an ATX motherboard and at least 2 hard drives of both 3.5" and 2.5"
>USB 3 on the front
>No (zero) LEDs/memes
?

also no sidepanel window

>Cheapest
Get whatever case is cheapest in your place and put a Chinese $10 front panel with far more than just USB3 in a front facing 5.25" slot

> mid-full size case
For 2 hard drives...? Either way, if it wasn't about cheap I'd say Define R5 or R6 or a Corsair Carbide or some such.

4 total hard drives, 2 ssd and 2 platters

Yea, even with that... why do you need a full size tower?

I think you can put 16+ 3.5" drives in a R5 midi tower if you stuff it full with drives. Would maybe be 3-4 less if you did oversized SLI GPU, but usually you don't even mix that.

2x2.5" and 2x.3.5" drives are mini / cube PC territory. Although I guess a full-size ATX mainboard is an obstacle there, I see no reason to go above a midi tower.

Planning on upgrading to the 2700 X (currently on FX-4350).

Trying to pick which MB to buy, I'm leaning towards the MSI B450 but I don't plan on overclocking, so I'm wondering if I should go for another board if I don't plan to overclock. I also a little peeved that RAM is still pretty expensive but I guess I'll have to suck it up.

GPU currently is also R9 390, it works fine so I don't plan on upgrading that till its dying or GPUs get super cheap.

Corsair 400Q

>Corsair 400Q
Very, very nice looking case. And it meets everything I wanted besides it being a little on the expensive side
Might save up and get it, thanks user

Please respond

If you don't plan on OC it should be fine, if you do AMD says that the stock cooler is sufficient up to 1.2-1.3V.

gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070WF2OC-8GD-rev-20#kf

is this a good 1070? Doesn't look like it cools the VRMs on the board but that shouldn't kill it, right? I'm getting one for a great deal from a friend, just 2 weeks old. It'll serve me perfectly at 1080p

how do you decide on wattage for a PSU?
is 520 overkill or just right for a 2600x/1070 Ti combo?

650 is good for that, I got a RM750X for future proofing. Flagship cards draw a ton of power, you need the extra room.

What is the best cheapest ips monitor for my animes?

just look it up nigger, all you need is a 1080p ips panel, they go for

ok thank you user ilu

I didn't get any response to this in the last general either, TELL ME OR I'M TAKING THIS TO REDDIT

>Because at that price point you can get a 8700.
An inferior CPU compared
>Is 1060 3gb enough for ps3 emu.
Check YouTube
>I know of the flash, but I'm dubious of my inability to not brick hardware whilst playing with firmware.
Me too. Its powerful anyways so maybe after a couple years, and you see it begin to age you can always flash it.

>How relevant is the inexpensive AMD gpu with a freesync monitor combo really? I am planning a new build with a 1080 ti, and I already have a freesync monitor. It'd be nice to be able to take advantage of that.
You should look online. Apparently there is a trick to get nvidia working with freesync

will windows 8.1 install on ryzen 2600 or do I need to fuck around like I would with win 7?

coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

Ebay site has 20% off so I'm going to buy a new pc. Is it worth also getting a 1080ti now or just waiting for the rtx 2080? Plan to game at 1440p and 4k

PLEASE

My build that I want to do but with the new 7nm and RTX Im second guessing this build.

pcpartpicker.com/list/hmg6NQ

Also im a newfag to watercooling so if you have any advice that be fan fucking tastic