/fglt/ - Friendly GNU+Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
(Dead) && (Dead)

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: puffy vulva.jpg (900x675, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2014/XDC2014RitgerEGLNonMesa/
nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/PowerManagement/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Man AUR is really easy to use.

first for fuck the retarded nvidia shill

Attached: 1526660013213.webm (1280x720, 722K)

Does TRIM automatically happen when you use an SSD on Linux or do I need to change some setting?

Why using this menu to shutdown the PC is way slower than executing shutdown now?
Is it safe to do the later or will I eventually corrupt shit?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-01 21-12-31.png (356x121, 8K)

I don't like you.

Linus writes beautiful code. He has published some side projects that he wrote all on his own and the code is just wonderful. He also lives in the real world while still maintaining his open source ideals and supporting himself through his work.

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.

It's a mount parameter. You can set how you want in fstab.

Thanks

the 'discard' mount option is no longer used. Use fstrim and a cron/systemd timer. Using 'discard' can be harmful to your ssd.

It is safe. It won't corrupt anything but you might not give enough time to your DE to save session state stuff.

Your Mom's a whore.

>ad hominem
Typical stallman "tactic". Come back when you have a solid retort

It's worth checking about this.

I was going to reply to you saying "friendly!" but then I saw who you were responding to.

Why? It took me 30 seconds to compile the 3 programs I needed.

Isn't TRIM done at the firmware level now anyway? I think installing fresh will automatically set those parameters with Ubuntu.

I have been reading about Artix; the distro sounds like Arch for people who want to get out of Systemd but is something easily wreckable.

I've only had experience with Mint and I want to hard into things because it's the only way I learn.

See the post below your first.

Major distros that don't require systemd are gentoo and void.

Some distros may have it installed but it is still the fstrim program that is being used. 'discard' is ancient and potentially troublesome.
you can find out with 'systemctl status fstrim' which will tell you the last time it had been run. If it does not say "X days/hours/minutes ago" in the "Active" field you will need to enable it

Is there any real reason to not use systemd or is it a security meme?

It's not a security meme. It's just a meme.

Try it out yourself and stop being a tool.

That post was truly awful. It is painfully obvious that you do not belong here. But that is ok, there is a positive solution. Rather than trying to fit in, you should strongly consider going to a site more suited for posters like you, such as Reddit, Tumblr, or maybe even Gaia. You have plenty of options. You will be happy, and we will be happy. Best of luck, but don't come back. Bye!

>YOU CANT SAY YOUR OPINION
Exactly what a stallmanist would say!
You're out of place here. Without Linus and LInux, gnu wouldnt exist. This is a Linux thread.

Is there a good file manager that works with Wayland? Thunar doesn't work at all.

Linux

Dont use wayland.

retard

>why cant i use programs that have existed for 10+ years on this new piece of shit "technology"
Dont
Use
wayland

Linux is a kernel.

Does Gentoo fetch the unmodified source of each package from the developer website or do they use a dedicated repository? Is source patched for compatibility or left as the original?

The screen tearing is not an option.

Its 2018, here is no screen tearing in modern wm's

Ebin meem.

Compton? Dolphin or Nautilus should work.

>have to resort to all sorts of workarounds
Yeah no, wayland is the future, if you want to be stuck in the past that's your choice but stop trying to drag others down to your retardation.

>exec openbox
>startx
Thats all i use

>stuck in the past
>wayland dosent support nvidia
Yeah no kid

>>wayland dosent support nvidia
It's the other way around, retard. You should bark at nvidia for being retarded.

Im pretty fucking sure some random program on the internet will not have sway over a FUCK HUGE company like nvidia that has been around for 20 years in the Linux environment

You dont make a 800 mph powerhouse(nvidia) and then have cooper(wayland) say "oh we dont like your engine we cant think of a way to make a chassis that supports it"

Oh. It's you again. I will say one more time. Nvidia doesn't support the standard API of the linux kernel for allocating graphic buffers, Mesa's GBM.

Attached: fuck you nvidia.jpg (600x339, 33K)

>actually trying to defend nvidia
Why don't you just fuck off back to windows?
>Im pretty fucking sure some random program on the internet will not have sway over a FUCK HUGE company like nvidia
No but when everyone eventually abandon Xorg they will have no choice but to cave in.

Why did it take 25 years for "mesa's gbm" to be mainlined in the kernel?
Surely they would have had something since that time to support...oh wait, it was nvidia...when ati was throwing out that garbage driver...nvidia was producing the ONLY USABLE driver for Linux

>Why don't you just fuck off back to windows?
I've been using Linux since the 90's kiddo, before you were shitting in diapers.
>No but when everyone eventually abandon Xorg they will have no choice but to cave in.
Wayland will never be at that point, because they do not support nvidia(an active religious choice). When the Big Name enterprise workstations use nvidia, you have ZERO sway(LOL SEE WHAT I DID THAR?) in the matter

Attached: 1497453434557.jpg (960x874, 114K)

How much is nvidia paying you?

>cant come up with any retort then LOL U R PIAD
Ok kid, go play on your low performing wayland instance

Attached: intel-hdgraphics-amd-nvidia-memeful-com-13853754.png (500x909, 252K)

>you have ZERO sway
you're the only one without sway, nvfag

I know nothing I say will make you realize how much of a retard you are, that's one of the traits of a rabid fanboy after all, keep going on though, it's hilarious watching you sperg out just because someone called out your big daddy on their bullshit.

I will continue to use nvidia in my systems, and i know i can depend on them to exist in 10 years, where as wayland wont.

You two are the only ones denying HISTORY.

I already told you little fucking shit. EGLStream was proposed over GBM, in 2014. And it's a fucking API. It's a not a secret weapon you retarded fuck. Nvidia is just being a dense bitch, like you.

If you were not an illiterate fuck and has read the link I posted several times in the last days, you would have seen that Nvidia initially proposed EGLStream to be integrated into Mesa FOR THE VERY PURPOSE OF IT BEING USED WITH WAYLAND. In fact the same proposal explains that Nvidia made major changes to their drivers to work better with wayland. In the end what happened is that all the driver refactoring was done counting on the approval of the EGLStream API for Mesa. Which didn't happen. And now Nvidia is trying to shill their retarded API so someone won't get fired over doing a big project before the standard for it got approved.

x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2014/XDC2014RitgerEGLNonMesa/

Since you like so much talking about market cap, be aware that WIndows and MacOS also use the Mesa API.

Now all of this even make even more pathetic. Because it makes obvious that you are not eve a pid shill. You are just a 15 years old retarded fuck.

Now that I obliterated you gay asshole AGAIN you can sop posting. At least until the next thread or the one after it.

Attached: 1439490361440.jpg (492x661, 105K)

>I will continue to use nvidia in my systems
Then you better pray for wayland support soon, Xorg isn't going to be around forever, you can already count its maintainers with one hand.

>Why did it take 25 years for "mesa's gbm" to be mainlined in the kernel?
Jesus christ, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Please never comment on anything related to the Linux graphics stack ever again.

Do you have proper copyright license for both the image of stallmans head and the image that is photoshopped?

hahahaha holly fucking shit you are this guy too? I won't bother with this comment because you already had your asshole obliterated over it too in older threads.

What we know so far is that there is a single guy shitposting about:
1. RMS, FSF and their respective contributions ans importance;
2. Nvidia;
3. He is also that guy that asks if people have licenses to post stallmans and claims it to be "piracy".

NOW THE MOST HILARIOUS PART:
4. We know for a fact that he is not being paid. He is doing it for free.

Attached: 1526659015847.jpg (487x362, 24K)

Feature complete, look it up

>screen tearing out the ass
>feature complete
retard

>WAAA WAAAAA
>mean man nvidia provides clearly superior option
>no cannot listen to nvidia they are bad man!!! the linus guy tell me this i just never listen to nvidia cause he BAD MAN

This is you. Check the staging area over the past 18 years and youll see alot of shit goes in and out(android)

Again, 2018, screen tearing isnt an issue. Use modern hardware on a modern wm

>"this is you"
>"2018"
you're both acting like children

hahahah dude just stop posting. You are posting for your ego only to read. NO ONE that comes in this thread will take anything you say about those matters() seriously. You have been completely ass blasted out of existence.

>Doesn't work with Vulkan
>Completely incompatible with existing code
>Throws out years of progress in relation to DRM, dma-bufs, DRI 2/3, etc
How the hell is that clearly superior?
Even Nvidia had admitted that they fucked up hard, and are going to move in a different direction.

I unironically agree with him though

Vulkan works on kepler(500 series) and higher devices
>incompatible
When you have the best option you have to sculpt everything else to adapt to the superior option

I'm not saying that the nvidia cards can't do Vulkan you fucking retard. I'm saying that EGLStreams does not allow Wayland clients to use Vulkan, since it's tied to EGL, which is inherently OpenGL.

Unless you have a kepler card from 2010, you dont need vulkan, even half the keplers were just fermis and were EOL at 390xx. You dont need vulkan on a 1050

>Hurr, nobody needs Vulkan
Shut the hell up, you god damned fuckface; you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Attached: 1376908007763.png (318x318, 133K)

>foo doesn't work
>YOU DONT NEED IT
>bar doesn't work
>YOU DONT NEED IT

Attached: 1518765102155.png (499x338, 38K)

I just got a brand new think pad, fresh out of the box. Which distro should I put on it?

>why cant i run macos apps in my linux
>they are both unix

Nice strawman, fuckface.

A distro that includes only free software. Debian, Parabola, Gentoo, Void, Trisquel, Fedora, etc. I recommend Debian Stable Xfce.

>piracy
Its not piracy, it is copyright theft. If you do not have the license to post said images, you cannot post them.

retard

Attached: 1515271028661.png (600x536, 253K)

A distro that does not restrict your software choices on some asinine religious crusade.
Gentoo,Archlinux are prime examples

Why do you think he bought a thinkpad you retarded fuck?
(We know it's you, fag)

To have a good laptop to carry around for school/work?
Dosent mean you have to put a shitty distro that restricts your software choices due to stallmans inane religious reasons.

Is Wayland/Sway usable for non-Nvidia machines?

I'm thinking of doing an Arch baseinstall with i3/xorg, but now I'm looking at sway/wayland. It's a little off the beaten track for me, but why not? That's a non-rhetorical question.

>you don't need vulkan
do you even use linux? vulkan is very useful on linux

When stated like this the question gets kinda vague. Wayland is a protocol. Sway is one implementation of it. Gnome has another, called Mutter I think. So even if Sway is not usable, Wayland can still be said to be, in the form of Mutter.
I never used it but I think Sway is usable.

Also, Sway does not support Nvidia proprietary drivers. The free ones are fine.

Build and install the sway alpha, currently using wlroots. It's a shitload better.
It runs extremely well on the free drivers. You may run into the rare crash/bug (hench it still being alpha) but it's generally pretty solid.

Attached: 1485473684854.png (824x792, 408K)

>use drivers stuck to 50mhz clock

What's it like being stuck in 2008?

qt saved

>installed bionic beaver
>installed evil tetris

Ok m8 my high score is 13 lines tell me I'm not a fucking retard I crush this game otherwise and this is the most relevant linux has ever been to me.

I personally am not, i use the blod drivers and have excellent performance. But gimping your self using nouveau is retarded
nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/PowerManagement/

Attached: 43562457635682564832465.png (1558x562, 102K)

Nouveau works great on older Nvidia cards, but you shouldn't be buying Nvidia garbage to begin with.
Also, the original question specifically mentions non-Nvidia machines. AMD has really stepped up their game, and Intel's driver has always been pretty good.

Don't reply. It's same shill that got ass blasted.

>works great
Unless you have a fermi or kepler, were your card is locked in at 50 mhz cause the nouveau drivers dont work for reclocking

>Unless you have a fermi or kepler
That's why I said "older Nvidia cards".

Those are LITERALLY the OLDER cards

"older" is a relative term, in this context, they're not the older cards he's referring to

When I delete files in xUbuntu from the trash are they written over with empty space or just marked to be overwritten later on? If the later can I manually get rid of them for good?

>just marked to be overwritten later on
Search for safe file deletion.

It's Xubuntu.

I already did delete it though so that will be a problem I assume?

I think I got it by doing sfill /

When you delete something, the FS don't actually delete the data. It simply marks that space as available the FS' table.
If you already deleted it and want to be sure it's erased, you have to overwrite that space with something else.
You can't refer the FS's table to know where exactly in the disk that space is anymore.
So you have to overwrite all free space in the disk it was (which is not necessarily the same as the partition).
I assume you are a more or less average user that doesn't have a colossal array of disks over which the FS is spawned in a very weird way.

In that case this can be accomplished by creating an enormous file that completely feels the FS. And deleting it afterwards, obviously.
dd bs=1M count=1000 /dev/zero/ /mnt/disk0/file.maki
Where "count" is the amount of free space, in MB.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>When you delete something, the FS don't actually delete the data. It simply marks that space as available the FS' table.
this is true, but there are a bunch of gotchas to consider
overwriting the data is the only way to actuall erase a file, but this isn't always straightforward
on a hdd, with a non-cow filesystem, you can use 'shred' or similar to overwrite the file
on an ssd, you can use TRIM
on a cow filesystem, TRIM can also work, otherwise a filesystem-specific tool to erase unallocated space, you can't use shred or dd here, due to way cow works (you'll just be writing the zeros to a new space, not where the file is)