Computer quirks

What are quirks about your computer or any other device you have?

>graphics card sags due to after market cooling
>use a bracket to lift it up or it won't be detected on boot
>still not enough now, have to open case and lift up graphics card with my finger whenever I boot
>runs fine after boot when I let go

Attached: 1519969101243.png (3640x2140, 1.42M)

Other urls found in this thread:

overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1628906-solved-gigabyte-ax370-gaming-5-died-spontaneously-night.html
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5zlegh/how_to_restore_a_bricked_ax370_gaming_5_bios/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I used to have a desktop with a dead PCIe x16 slot.

Attached: 1455343650138.jpg (512x612, 113K)

Nothing, my computer is perfect, just like I am.

>GPU sags and whines
>Whine is significantly worse when sagging
>Use a break off expansion slot cover to support it, bottom wrapped in tape to not scratch my case
>Also I think I killed all my USB 3 ports somehow

>Play Hitman.
>That's enough for today.
>Steam: You have played four hours this session, three hours total.

Attached: 1514019369468.jpg (540x720, 106K)

I fall for almost every meme in that drawing save the, irl friends, cat, dyed hair and dildos.

We share the same exceptional anime taste

I use a rollermouse.

>dragon maid and umaru
shit taste by the way

if i leave my psu off mains for a while, or discharge it (attempt to turn it on while it's unplugged), soft power won't work until i jump start it manually (regular mobo power switch does nothing)
i don't know when this started, since it only showed up when i moved my computer, as you can imagine, this was an absolute CUNT to diagnose

"exceptional" doesn't imply good

application launch time is not consistent. one day, outlook opens in two seconds and the next it opens in a minute. this is the condition for all of my software, i just used outlook as an example.

after the software opens, everything is consistently fast and stable.

no idea why it does this.

my hackintosh did this shit too but now i'm on winblows 10 with entirely new hardware. maybe it's just my energy idk

I use only laptops as my main machines. ThinkPads to be specific. I have a Corebooted X230 running openSUSE Leap that I use as my main laptop. I also have a Librebooted T400 running Devuan on a docking station under my desk that connects to a mouse, keyboard, and monitor. This isn't as dumb as it sounds. I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and have frequent power outages. The battery in the T400 can power it for a solid 5 hours when idling. This gives me more than enough time to shut it down to prevent damage or data loss from a power cut. I guess you could call it a poor man's UPS.

Attached: 1532118132198.jpg (635x631, 45K)

It's your shitty antivirus real time monitoring.

I can dig your setup and hope you the best.

every time i see this pic i see something new, cool

>laptop beeps when plugged/unplugged
>no way to disable the sound

>smartphone plays a tone at maximum volume when being turned on/off
>no way to disable the sound

My RX 580 drops HDMI signal after playing game for awhile and the GPU went crazy (fans at maximum speed, maximum power usage drawing like 350W from the wall). It's weird that the PC doesn't hang or crash when that happens (i.e sound still playing, I can still log on to SSH, or respond to mouse/keyboard). The only to solve it by cold rebooting. I regret bought this MSI RX580, should've pick novideo GTX 1060.

My old BenQ monitor coil whines when in standby mode after 2 cap replacements so i have to flip the power splitter when going to sleep.
One hdd obnoxiously vibrates when working

Old pc was 3GHz xeon on lga 775 and it had issues entering S3, but damn I miss that thing. 56°C under 100% load.

>Fan makes bearing death rattle sound
>Slap and beat computer till it stops
>Rinse and repeat every day for 2 years

>some HGST 2007 HDD with like 40k hours. Somehow works
>Case fan slightly goes further up on its axis making a rattling noise. Touching/nudging/slightly kicking the case fixes it.
>Sometimes it refuses to boot into windows. Usually right when I need it for a project in eviews or R or some shit Disassembling and reassembling the computer mysteriously fixes it.
It's basically an alfa romeo at this point

Attached: 1472152626430.jpg (323x320, 63K)

just replace the fan, it's really not that hard, or expensive

>Disassembling and reassembling the computer mysteriously fixes it.
somethings getting loose and you're basically reseating what ever got loose

My H100i came with a stripped screw hole on the radiator. Attempts to fix it have failed. Fan vibrations cause loud noises to occur unless I slap my computer. Sometimes I have to slap 3 or 4 times. Don't buy Corsair.

Try Windows+Ctrl+Shfit+B next time

I have the Gigabyte AX 370 Gaming 5 motherboard and if I load the it87 module after the system has booted up instead of at initial boot with initramfs the system will brick itself and the motherboard will appear to be dead upon shutdown. Unplugging power and removing the CMOS battery and waiting 5 seconds unbricks it. As these links show.. it's a common problem with this board.

overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1628906-solved-gigabyte-ax370-gaming-5-died-spontaneously-night.html

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5zlegh/how_to_restore_a_bricked_ax370_gaming_5_bios/

I'd say that's a pretty serious "quirk". As a kind of .. stupid side-note: The first time it happened I wasn't aware of this issue and RMAd the board and got a new one. The second time I wondered how common this is with the GA AX 370 Gaming boards and searched and found those links, among many others.

>bought my first ITX case
>bought the cheapest SFX PSU I could find
>died after a month
>now I have an ATX PSU hanging out the back of an SFX case
It's been this way for over a year now

I put the hard drive in the spot where you would mount an optical drive because I was retarded and didn't know there was a drive cage.
The hard drive is super loud whenever it does something now. I can hear it loud and clear from across the room.

Lay it down before it snaps.

While common it's one of those things that you should fix, it's not exactly expensive. And it is very annoying. It's so annoying that I actually do have spare fans (both 12" and 14") due to the numer of fans that have gone bad over the many years I've used computers.

While you may think it was a mistake to mount it in the 5.25" optical bay it perhaps wasn't, perhaps you used the wrong kind of frame to make it fit. I have two HDDs mounted in 5.25" bays using picture related - no mistake, it's actually quieter than using the 3.5" metal bays in that particular box.

And if you don't use picture related or something like that then two thick rubber bands are actually a neat way to put a 3.5" HDD in a 5.25" bay (seriously). Result is basically the same as what I use now, the HDD is isolated from the case which means vibrations from it don't spread.

Attached: 5.25.hdd.mount.jpg (850x754, 31K)

>i3wm and st on every computer except windows laptop at work and headless openbsd firewall PC
>st loses part of the text on resizing, doesn't expand lines on resize
>half the shit doesn't work on my funtoo desktop setup, don't really care because it's mostly for watching movies
>have to move HDMI from xbox to desktop to use either, too indifferent to pull another HDMI from my box of cables
>sound doesn't work from said desktop sometimes, just set it to play from the PC speaker

My motherboard died so I pulled one from a Dell Optiplex I found at the dump. Everything worked fine but the power button header is non-standard, so I have it dangling out the back.

I had a computer with 32GB DDR3 RAM. On cold boots, most of the time it would boot up no issue, but Windows Task Manager would say
>24GB RAM Available
The bizarre thing was, the system properties menu, speccy etc all reported 32GB installed, with 24GB 'usable'. After a reboot in most cases the full 32GB would become available. I tried each of my 8GB sticks independently, none showed any signs of problems, and memtest came back clean. Never fixed it, just put it down to gremlins.

My first computer had a vhs slot in it

Attached: 1533780400082.jpg (540x535, 51K)

My notebook keyboard has the B key and the Context Menu key swapped, because the original B key stopped working. It fucks with people's heads every time.

Why not replace the keyboard?

I don't really have any quirks in my current pc, but i had a strange one in the pc i used 8 years ago after lighting that also fried phone line port in adsl modem. It would only turn on if i pull front up to 45 degrees. It worked fine until i need to turn on yet again.

>art of war
Kek.

>>some HGST 2007 HDD with like 40k hours. Somehow works
hgst made good drives. as did samsung, 70k hours and still going strong.

*makes

I'm on linux bro

The computer that was in my gaming machine and that I intend on now using for my router has issues with its memory. It isn't stable at stock speeds, you have to start it and go into the BIOS and manually boost the memory to its full voltage, even if its running at 2133 instead of 3000. If you don't do that it'll eventually freeze and then refuse to come back up again when you reset it, it'll go into a boot loop sort of state, you have to clear the CMOS and take one of the sticks out and then sometimes it'll start. Once you overvolt the RAM though, then its fine forever.

>have usb wifi antenna for desktop
>has good dl and ul speeds
>unspeakable latency when trying to vc or play online games
>other devices have no problem
>root phone, install foxfi and pdanet, turn on wifi and tether to pc
>using phone as a retarded wifi adapter works just fine, no latency

My T400 keeps randomly cutting wifi. I'm pretty sure it's PCB related as I've replaced the wifi chip, and it doesn't appear to be caused by the OS or buttons.
That one's running CentOS 4 iirc.

not me, but i recently spotted:
>computer has giant cooler
>somehow, there is a fan rigged in
>me and coworker wonder why it is there and turned off
>we plug it in
>it wobbles like the engine of a tractor

I have a PSP pushing on my headphone's jack because otherwise it doesn't make contact.

If you were perfect, that would make you a doll.

what kind of dildos do you have? thinking of buying one.

Isn't that a /b/ question? Start small and don't forget the lube.

I should try this

take care
that hdd may fail soon
also if you have multiple hdds, this one can damage the other ones - if they're non-enterprise, if so disregard this

>Get a new ssd (crucial 256gb)
>Connect to pc & clone with macrium Yadda Yadda
>When trying to boot from ssd Windows shits the bed and throws an error
>If I press continue it carries on normally
>Try fixing MBR etc.nothing works
>When I disconnect the hdd this error doesn't display, even though I've formatted the hdd TWICE (just to make sure)
>To this day still can't fix this, have to open up case and plug hdd back in if I wanna use it

My case is just the bare metal chassis without all the plastic and panels and shit and as a result not buttons, if I have to hot wire it like a stolen car by touching two wires together

I had the cringiest cases of all so I decided to
1 - remove the plastic top and only leave the metal parts (it looks p neat without that plastic thing at the top and all that fan controller gargabe+red LEDs and fins)
2 - switch every red LED fan with plain black non-LED ones
3 - paint the case's insides black (some parts were red inside it) - it ended p good because I used proper paint not some platidip crap
4 - removed the metal logos from the front with pincers and a knife and them used a metal hammer to make it look smoother (some logos were kinda like pressured against it)
Now it looks somewhat like a corsair case lol.

It's a pretty good case internally (a ton of space for managing cables, great ammount of air flow and a ton of drive mounting points).

Attached: x1 predator x1.jpg (440x578, 68K)

i have a cheap x86x64 notebook with 1,68 ghz and 2gb of ram and i expect it to run like a core i9 machine

I had an old HP laptop where I had to sit on the keyboard when turning it on

root
install custom rom
turn off sound during those events

exactly why it fucks on you
w7 or kys

I bought a cheap $15 chinesium cooler and when my box turns on it makes a grinding noise because the fan rests on the heatsink when cooled. If I hit the heatsink a few times after a minute or so the noise goes away.
Still getting way better temps.

>What are quirks about your computer or any other device you have?

I bought 2 usb drives a 4gb and an 8gb
The 4gb usb drive locks up any windows system i put it on.
never actually been able to figure out why
I just ended up using it for liveCDs and other linux stuff.

also my current computer fan sound like a tractor for about a minute after it turns on.
i'm too lazy to go pull a fan out of an older machine.

Attached: 600x600.jpg (600x600, 18K)

kek same thing happend to one of my fans on the back. When hitting it didn't work I had to stick a pen in to make it stop and start over again
one day the sound just stopped and hasn't come back

>old flatscreen tv made clacking sounds a few minutes after being turned off, as if there was something mechanical in it
>had a shitty laptop that I could only use for limited session times until it suddenly turns off, even if it's plugged in. eventually bsod'd
>xb360 arcade had something wrong with the hard drive, I needed to push the hard drive inwards or else it won't boot at all, or if it does it won't have my gaymes

also the xbox disc tray was broken, forgot to mention that

>boot up game
>hard drive makes angle grinder sounds

Attached: 1443401367600.jpg (750x301, 36K)

I have to start speedfan when resuming from sleep on winblows or my CPU fan won't spin up.
My netbook's fan will sometime make an awful rattling noise, I have to slowly tilt the computer to make it stop. If it continues I have to disassemble the fan and spray lubricant into it and it'll be quiet for a few months.

>not ssd
it must suck to be a poorfag

I'm not poor, just lazy

I installed Antergos on my PC as daily driver, then one day it just turned into Arch. All Antergos packages disappeared (had to reinstall them from the Arch repository) and neofetch suddenly tells me I have Arch installed. No idea what I did but I'll just continue using it.

My desktop takes ages to turn off

It boots out of OS in a few seconds, after which it keeps the fans running for about 30-40 seconds. Did this from the very first shutdown on both Windows and several Linux distros. Never bothered to see what's wrong although I think it's something really simple in the end.

After a cold boot with my 3200MHz memory set to the rated clocks it power cycles 3-4 times before it actually boots up. It used to do this at 2933MHz but it improved after a BIOS update. This is a Ryzen system btw.

My desktop doesn't want to boot with dedicated graphics enabled, i have a graphics card in there, but if i set it to integrated graphics only, i can boot and get video signal from my dedicated graphics card, and it can use its full potential. Also, the PSU makes a static hum constantly it's on.

Why don't you move It?

Dude move it, that noise you're hearing isn't supposed to happen, you might be damaging the hard drive.

>room where desktop is set up can't get Wi-fi
>buy old laptop and install linux
>plug Ethernet cable from laptop in other room to desktop

I fucking hate sharing internet but it's too expensive not too

Attached: WOKEAPUMAN.jpg (657x527, 31K)

This used to happen to me with my R9 290 until I ghettofied a water/air cooling hybrid. My temps would get to 95* C and pc would auto shut off sometimes. Now it gets to 45-50* at the hottest

i have a t440p. if i do a hard reboot for some reason, at the edges of the lcd i can see the last image from before reboot (for example browser window), merged with video output from current boot. that part of the screen flickers heavily until the old image fades after a minute or two. it's fucking strange how that could work. i mean even if video ram or some firmware buffer in the lcd were not cleared, new data being written in them should overwrite the old data, right? unless it's some of the lcd pixels being physically stuck temporarily somehow?

My rig is a retrofitted ruin and I'm amazed It hasn't cough fire and taken me out with it in blaze of glory in the middle of the night .
It was a slightly above mediocre rig back in '15. Now I'm amazed it still works
I have 3 monitors but my GPU only supports 2 slots. One VGA one DVI. Also All three monitors are kinda old and support VGA only. So I have to use an adapter for one.
For the 3rd monitor I have to use the onboard integrated graphics card.
For some reason Xserver wont recognize this screen by itself on startup. So I have to wrangle it back in to place with bash magic.
Made a script for it, made it run on login. Works fine now.
Theres a old ass TV card in it, that this rig inherited from the previous one. A relic from the Windows days. Never got the drivers for it on Linux. Never used it. It just sits there. Taking up a slot on the motherboard. I plan to get it working eventually I guess.
Also a DVD-RW sits in it disconnected just because I don't want to have a gaping hole in my tower. I don't think I've ever used it either.
With a USB mouse and keyboard, router, MIDI keyboard, external sound card, I'm all out of USB ports. Will have to figure out how to solve this once my USB-MIDI e-drum kit arrives. Maybe theres more slots on the motherboard?
Oh and the power supply. With all this load and a pretty shitty power supply, its the like the 3rd one I've burned out. Sometimes it has trouble booting and getting consistent voltages. So sometimes it takes 2-3 attempts to boot up.

Attached: 1527743827835.jpg (700x560, 101K)

I say this was probably the most interesting thread of the day in Jow Forums we should repeat it often

Attached: 1284238457821.png (360x325, 202K)

Starting my pc like in the picture for years because the power button was broke.

Attached: t55.jpg (259x194, 12K)

>old flatscreen tv made clacking sounds a few minutes after being turned off, as if there was something mechanical in it
That was probably warmed up plastic contracting as it cooled down

>use old apple monitors because they were cheap
>need to install boot camp on my non apple pc to get them to turn off properly for some reason

Main PC quirks
>fan in graphics card rattles when under load
>BIOS key is F2 but the BIOS screen says it’s DEL
Secondary PC quirks
>disk drive sometimes gets stuck and won’t open
>WIFI antenna is broken and drops signal a lot (not a big deal because it’s on ethernet most of the time)
Desktop server quirks
>BTX case (makes replacement of the mobo impossible without case mods)
Laptop quirks
>the right screen hinge is broken (have to constantly realign it and snap the bezel back into place)

Other than those things, my computers run great

I have that same issue with a failing hard drive with bad sectors. Back it up and reformat it.

desktop PC, once in every 3 boots the kernel will freeze right after GRUB
once booted it runs for weeks /wo problem
im guessing malware or some shit

>reading this thread
>screen flickers to black for a second
>intel hd graphics driver for windows 8 encountered a problem and restarted
>using windows 7
I think my x220 wants to be in this thread.

I use pic related as an external hard drive and it has not given me any problems

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-30 16-29-58.png (345x38, 5K)

Sounds comfy.
Any pics willing to share ?

>turn on computer
>mouse doesnt work
>move to another usb port, works
>next day
>turn on computer
>that usb port doesnt work now, move to the old one and that one works again

hmm

Attached: 1493587174957.png (331x352, 211K)

I got an old el cheapo laptop from a sketchy guy. It worked ok except for artifacting graphics. It was either faulty GPU or LCD. I figured I could test another screen from circa-2000 Asus notebook I had scrapped for parts. It was entirely different size and ratio, but half a roll of duct tape later it looks usable. I only keep it as a spare OpenBSD box if I ever need one so I don't really care that I can no longer close the lid.

Attached: signal-attachment-2018-08-19-150402.jpg (2512x1986, 871K)

Used to have a desktop, running Xubuntu, that would only boot properly every other time it was switched on. Never was bothered to figure out why...

Top fan is mysteriously missing a blade so now it whines pretty loud due to not being balanced, and I dropped a screw into it while it was on its side and running and a spark blew and some smoke now my sound doesn't work so i use an external interface.

My old laptop had an issue with its Vista installation where explorer windows would open nonstop. It'd happen randomly and the only way to stop it was forcefully turning the laptop off.

>fan in gpu rattles
Push the fan up/in, mine does this too sometimes (evga 1060)
Just a noisy bearing tho - mine still makes/made me anxious as shit first few times I heard it

main desktop
>none of my usb3.1 ports work. I think i might have ruined them when i built the computer.
>Every other week i have to set the mb time. Yes ive tried replacing the CMOS battery.
>my SSD, which is my bootdrive, is sdb and my harddrive is sda. Havent bothered switching.
old desktop
>a shitty 2" fan from the gpu fell out of its socket so i zip tied and glued a cpu fan to the gpu instead. it works fine.

T420
>eSATA port and top one of the left side USB ports are shorted out
>CPU temp swings extremely fast even when playing early 2000s games through wine
>stopped recognizing USB preamp
The last one I could fix by reinstalling Xubuntu I guess, the thermal thing is probably just paste (can't be bothered to buy paste and open up the thing though) and the first problem is here to stay.

hammerhead
>when handling phone, screen will shut off and on randomly without pressing power button or touching display
>EDGE and LTE connections are fine but HSDPA/+ connections will work for about 30 s, then SIM card is "missing", then rediscovered. Rinse and repeat
First one is just a little bit annoying, second one isn't a huge issue thanks to good 4G coverage everywhere.

Also the disk drive opens randomly several times in a row.

>all these people with sagging graphics cards
Why don't you just put your computer on it's side?

I previously had a defective ASrock Pro 3 970 R2.0 mobo that made my video cards fail to load drivers on cold boot. I think it might have been Windows 7, because I have Windows 10 running on it and I never had to do a warm reboot to get the video card drivers fully loaded.

i have to reflash UEFI every once in a while since old boot partitions from liveUSBs keep clogging up the boot order
ASUS, more like ANUS

What used to happen with my PC is that every other time I turn on my computer, it will randomly freeze up and I have to restart it.

However, after I restart it, it will perfectly fine even if I run really intensive stuff on it. But once I turn it off or put it into sleep mode, it will crash after 10 minutes.

I believe it was a RAM issue since it stopped happening after I changed out RAM, but I have no idea why it would do it every other restart.