/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Saturday Night Fever Edition

Attached: Tannoy_XT6_Bookshelf_Speaker_1024x1024.jpg (1000x780, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YqVCw1oHdPA
soundonsound.com/reviews/geithain-rl944k
youtube.com/watch?v=BT_8AA1ipYA
youtube.com/watch?v=TlSpzNIiGFs
whathifi.com/
hifishark.com/search?q=geithain
linkwitzlab.com/H-U woofer2.htm
musicanddesign.com/u_frame.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

noone purchased these

Attached: Tannoy Churchill 14000 bucks.jpg (1267x610, 277K)

Attached: tannoy e11 350 dollars in 1990.jpg (1063x520, 146K)

Got any amps for just under 200 that I can plug my ATLP120 turntable into as well as my Audioengine D1 DAC? I don't care if it's solid state or analog.

Attached: 69.png (460x620, 531K)

Attached: tannoy td12 8500 dollars in 2003.jpg (1197x630, 195K)

what - for like headphones?

headphones and speakers, yeah. Got Sennheiser HD650's and some Micca speakers

Cheapest solution is a used AVR from around 2016 -- Like a Sony for $100.

The next steps up would be in the 300 to 400 dollar range.

Attached: Cambridge Audio Duo.jpg (1200x1200, 66K)

it looks like tannoy wasn't good until the 2010's

Attached: tannoy mercury V1 320 dollahs.jpg (1085x625, 148K)

hard to trust these reviews

Attached: 85jG2ne.jpg (788x632, 125K)

I think Tannoy is one of those companies that makes stuff based on how it sounds. I say this because the Revolution XTF8 has "really great reviews" but there's yet to be any decent test measures. Which makes me think something's afoot.

Attached: MG_3314.jpg (2000x1333, 384K)

Happy
youtube.com/watch?v=YqVCw1oHdPA

Attached: Kensintons.jpg (576x864, 118K)

better suited to a musical theatre with art deco architecture

bump

So the question remains - I am about to order ME Geithain ME25. Am I just falling for a geithain meme? Or they are really good? Can't listen to them unfortunately. You thoughts?

Geithain is some of the best performing stuff out there so why not. I heard 901s once and it's the type of speakers that cure people of audiophilia with pure autistic german overengineering for 1/4 of the price they'd expect at a hifi show

I am just concerned if their small model is as good as big ones. I will listen to big ones, I should have possibility to do so.

Well I guess the bigger ones are more impressive as always, but I'm actually shocked how expensive the smaller ones are looking them up, their price span lowest to highest isn't all that big so I guess the size is the main difference and not the quality. it doesn't seem like they're making different lines of products covering different price points, seems as with ATC or PMC where it's just different sizes for different applications

SMSL!

I think a big part of geithan's appeal is because of the cardiod dispersion on the K models, which the ME25 do not have.
The K models are pricey though, and at that price range ($10K+) there's competition from kii three and dutch&dutch 8c, which may have more effective cardiod dispersion design.

>soundonsound.com/reviews/geithain-rl944k
>On each side of the Geithain RL944K enclosures, towards the rear edge, are mysterious foam-covered slots. These, I believe, are connected internally to acoustically resistive ducting that allow a proportion of the reverse-polarity rear radiation of the bass driver to escape and cancel the forward radiation. The result is a speaker system that demonstrates around 10dB attenuation of backwards radiation at low frequencies. The technique is analogous to the slots sometimes found behind the diaphragm in cardioid microphones. Described in a couple of short sentences, the technique sounds very simple. I’m sure, however, that there’s a great deal more complication involved in making it work in practice. The most fundamental problem I’d expect to face is that creating a purely resistive exit path for acoustic energy out of an enclosure is extremely difficult. If there is any reactive element at all, the ‘leak’ will tend towards behaving like a reflex port, the whole point of which is to reverse the phase of the rear radiation of the driver so that it adds to, rather than cancels, the front radiation — exactly what’s not intended here.

cardiod dispersion in action
>youtube.com/watch?v=BT_8AA1ipYA

cardiod dispersion is also not a miracle fix for a bad room.. still need room treatment + dsp EQ to get the most out of the speakers.

Attached: kiithreeinroomFR.jpg (1024x585, 56K)

Of course it's not magic, but the fact that they've been doing cardioid bass in a completely analog fashion for decades now until only more recently some competitors got it to work just as out of the box using DSP magic sauce with comparable results speaks for their engineering skills and so I'd guess their conventional non-k designs are just as well thought out for what they are

Cardoid is great, but I really can't afford one of their cardioid models. And I need something for low range low level listening. What I am looking for is immersion in music and models with good soundstage seem to be most immersive for me. That why I am looking for coaxial design and geithain seems to fit everything I need on paper.

Their 944k1 looks like a perfect thing for me but the price is too much and custom fee may fuck me up pretty badly here.

compared to ATC geithain is a big meme.
very dumb design !

working with both side by side for years I have to say it's the other way round. Of course ATC makes great speakers, but it's no match at all.

Attached: IMG_20151209_021703852.jpg (2592x1456, 1.06M)

What are those panels with MEG logo on them behind the speakers?

And do you really need subwoofer with those 901K? Or It is just to make sound even more clear by avoiding LF distortion on 901K woofers?

by placing midrange in front of bass unit they achived exactly nothing (there is still time delay)
not only that but they also compromised quality of midrange unit with ths dumb design.

ME-G is good stuff for sure, but at those price points you should definitely check the competition!

>low range low level listening
>models with good soundstage
>That why I am looking for coaxial design
Genelec ones if they're in your budget, I think their coaxial designs are the best. A pair of 8331 is ~$4k and would be perfect for your use cases.
youtube.com/watch?v=TlSpzNIiGFs
So jelly. I wish I were comp'ed genelecs and synths for a living, instead I gotta pay out the fucking ass.

Niiiice.

It's two basis14k for LFE, as this is a surround set

4k is probably still too much for me now. I was looking at 1-1.5k range. Maybe I should save for some time to buy bigger. But I want to spend money on other things too, so its not only a matter of having money, but willing to spend.

The speaker measures and sounds better than most huge in-wall main monitors at a fraction of the prize, fraction of the size size and weight and placement is versatile as hell thanks to the cardioid and coax. Nothing dumb about that at all.

I always thought that this was to reduce its size.

very odd design

Attached: gethain.jpg (862x854, 382K)

Attached: gethain2.jpg (920x924, 259K)

why there are degenerates who understand that cables sound the same but still believe that amps don't?

They build everything as coaxial as possible as a fundamental principle. And it actually does some work, you can set up the big 901 in stereo triangle as small as one meter and still get a sharp as fuck phantom center most other speakers can only dream of

this is not even real coax.
reminds me on those car speakers

Attached: jpg.jpg (230x230, 11K)

blast radius of -/+ 45 degrees

Attached: 901 directional character.jpg (653x620, 135K)

also, a lot of interesting products in the most recent whathifi
whathifi.com/

Attached: Cardioid_3_cardioid_small.jpg (750x423, 115K)

That must be horrifying to sit between those things in one meter triangle. They look intimidating.

14K USD

7K USD?

I'd rather get 5K dynaudios at that price range.

Attached: Dynaudio Contour 20.jpg (600x406, 56K)

Not really. They look like weird washing machines, actually a bit cute

they have a Bauhaus look

Attached: 20161127_124947.jpg (1024x576, 389K)

Cute little washing machines (each capable of SPL just as high as pain threshold is and literally killing you).

yep
bet they weight 100 lbs each tho

Attached: IMG_1793.jpg (800x600, 144K)

i guess this is a gethain laudsprechter thread nao

Attached: claus-014_ji.jpg (943x611, 260K)

That is really not much considering they have amplifier in them and able to play from 30 Hz (or something like that) flat.

alot of opinions with this lack of knowledge in this thread

Attached: 901 FR.jpg (688x446, 109K)

Attached: Black-holes-0101.jpg (800x600, 137K)

Do they even have sweetspot? Or you can just walk where you want in front of them and be alright?

Attached: gethain himself.jpg (698x375, 79K)

chinkfi > overpriced class A shit

i dunno for real but based on that polar chart it seems like you could angle two of them and have nearly 90 degrees of somewhat uniform dispersion

Attached: Geithain-RL906_01-RnQUW6WWTo6woyINg7.7fz2DYMT.LFcJ.jpg (1000x775, 351K)

>its not only a matter of having money, but willing to spend.
Yeah spending big money on this as a hobby is hard to justify, it's why I always buy used. Got my genelec 8250a pair for $2k.
But certain brands are hard to find used like geithain, no listings on reverb and only 2 on ebay - from japanese resellers. There's a few in the german market if you're a eurofag though
>hifishark.com/search?q=geithain

the problem with electronics made in china is you never know where the quality control took a dive - always a gamble on reliability

Attached: mighty rotel.png (663x640, 781K)

I live in Russia. Used market is fucking piece of shit here. The only way I can buy used MEG is to trip to Germany and buy it there.

Polar chart is for bass response if you pay attention.

Just praise you dont get full rail voltage on your speakers because quality control took a dive on protection circuit.

haha that would be a real surprise

thanks, had no idea

the problem with these gethain is they're gigantic - unless your room is arranged properly, its like having an elephant sitting in the corner of the dining room

Attached: a problem with scale.jpg (1024x683, 85K)

these give me a hard-on tho

Attached: img_1513ves1q.jpg (768x1024, 156K)

like, my gf might actually allow these two in the room

Attached: img_1511n4s80.jpg (768x1024, 604K)

Their "high end" models are actually looking quite nice on pictures.

Think about it, they are gigantic, but you can throw away your rack if you are not into vinyl or something like that. Just a small DAC and small laptop near you on coffee table near your couch is all you need + two XLR cables. It can be very clean-looking with nothing in front of that screen. Still gigantic though.

pfff...

this is the nicest set up ive seen so far

the cube design needs a lot of room and depth of field behind them, visually I mean

Attached: ME901k1.jpg (525x348, 62K)

bigger

Attached: ME901k1_Hornstein_IMGP6376.jpg (1280x848, 171K)

Attached: 9f70ddebbcb4dcffa737f3a4453d36ac.jpg (648x432, 328K)

Attached: K800_IMG_1494.jpg (600x800, 68K)

found this
don't know what it is

Attached: me-geithain-rl-901k_aktives-hoeren-de-thema-anzeigen-rainer-me-geithain-rl-901k.jpg (1280x853, 353K)

Attached: Bell Labs 1940.jpg (500x658, 112K)

fancy diffusors

Finally setups without this stupid rack inbetween.
So much better without than with.

Btw i can't get what power amplifier I can connect to those little geithains. They recommend 50-80 watts, but i see they have sensitivity of 85 dB and max SPL is 108 dB. 23 db is 200 times which mean they should be able to handle 200 w short peak. Am I correct?

those are 4 ohm speakers right

Yes. But power is power, do ohms really matter. I have tube amplifier, but in the future i also plan to get transistor amp. Probably will ask someone to make me one.

How high should I mount my flat panel tv? Are there any guidelines/recommendations for this?

Attached: 1521773865386.jpg (916x910, 66K)

eye level

Center of the screen at eye level? That would be really low for a large screen...

aperiodic damped box or u-frame woofer
linkwitzlab.com/H-U woofer2.htm
musicanddesign.com/u_frame.html

as i understand it, there's power and there's current

low impedance speakers can from 6 to 3 to 2 ohms and the absence of sufficient current will result in a loss of low frequency ranges so that the sound output has a "thin" character

many people buy expensive low impedance speakers and return them because they "sound terrible" but it was because the amplifier could not match the current demands of the speaker

in a room where the hifi set up isn't at

>when you really don't like your neighbors

Attached: img-1728_orig.jpg (800x1066, 129K)

Old cheap vintage is less labor intensive.

Attached: 4567890.jpg (1024x768, 71K)

latest thrift shop find
1981 Pioneer SX-6
45wpc, 5Hz to 100kHz response and 0.009% THD
I was using a newer Sony AV770 from the late '80s that simply could not deal with the extreme frequencies the way this thing can. Really nice, impactful bass all the way thru the volume range, clear highs and no compromises on the midrange.
Headphone soundstage is really broad and comfortable for extended listening. Can't comment on the speakers because mine are obstructed by monitors.
It's really beat up with some dents, scrapes, and rounded corners, but all its functions work.

Attached: DSCF0117.jpg (3072x2304, 2.58M)

I wish thrift shops in my area had anything of value, it's usually just BPC CD and DVD players from the 2000s

Looking for a low-gain class D amp, DIY preferred. Suggestions?

It takes some dedication to be there at the right time, sadly, and it doesn't stop even the most valuable of vintage equipment from getting trashed from simply being in an environment where it isn't cared about. The other day I saw a Marantz portable CD recorder that had been carelessly dropped on the floor and shattered open. It was sad. Most of the damage to this unit I can tell came from being in a bin with worthless VCRs and DVD players getting chucked on top of it. If you care about your AV equipment, never donate it to Goodwill.

yeah but cables fucking everywhere and noise oh god the noise where is it coming from

its got a huge transformer

Attached: SX6.jpg (1600x1200, 329K)

Well I assume that if amplifier is rated X watts at 4 Ohms than it is capable of delivering current needed to reach this power. Just confused about numbers on their site. I've tried to call them, but it they refused to speak in English and I don't know German.

I would love to audition any of these three models. Anyone heard them play?

Attached: harman1.jpg (800x600, 123K)

What is the point of horns nowdays at home audio? Aren't they artifacts of old times when power was expensive af and everybody looked for huge sensitivity? On some stadium they make perfect sense, but they are extremely rare on studio equipment nowdays, and I guess there is a good reason for that.

lol

wow... ugly

audio for the hearing impaired imo
you'll notice its almost all old people, like into their 80s, who have these giant horns -- they're really better for outdoors in a dinosaur park or something

Attached: Sven-Geiger-SCM110A-Surround-Room-Large.jpg (1000x636, 122K)

I currently have a pair of horn loaded bookshelf speakers. I believe they deliver a more accurate sound, as it is more direct and doesn't reflect as much of the interior of the room.
I think an equal amount (or maybe more) dislike horn loaded speakers as the treble often can get harsh (Klipsch....).

The ones I have has incredible value and does not have harsh treble, and honestly they sound better than many more expensive bookshelves.
A shame that JBL speakers aren't the most aesthetic.

what speakers?

bump

Attached: katalog Pioneer 1985 USA.jpg (2543x3336, 1021K)

Attached: DSCF0112.jpg (3072x2304, 2.18M)

Holy fucking shit. Nicely done.

Studio 530's

Can't remember if these are the good ones or the after the sale of the company not so good ones

Attached: 00f0f_kHBG2UjRhFr_1200x900.jpg (1200x900, 97K)

>the point of horns nowdays at home audio
Eases mating of drivers, beamwidth control, plus audio nuts that use Class A and/or tube amps.
As noted, with power plentiful and drivers less likely to catch fire from a meager 10 watts directly over the coil, the emphasis has transitioned away from using horns to increase output and more towards using horns to control the acoustic pattern of the speaker. This is true for larger venues as well.

Horns are not necessarily scarce in monitoring, but they don't normally call attention to it these days. The horns are usually much smaller and are present for the sake of driver mating.