So when this becomes the new standard next year does displayport disappear overnight?

So when this becomes the new standard next year does displayport disappear overnight?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/12213/vesa-announces-work-on-next-displayport-standard
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>companies have to pay 10k in royalties to the HDMI jews in order to use their output interface
it should not be a fucking standard, thats fucking retarded

Next version of displayport is targeting 52 Gb/s transfer rate :)

/thread

>no 4k @ 480hz
I'll stick with next gen DP

48Gbps can't support those refresh rates at 5k and above... It has to be compressed

Yet monitors still have and will always have hdmi ports. Why bother even putting a DP port when the HDMI port you are paying for does everything better

Current standards can't even push 4k at 144hz without subsampling

I surely fucking hope so. HDMI should have become a unanimous standard nearly a decade ago.

>Yet monitors still have and will always have hdmi ports.
Nope

DSC isn't anything new, display port has had it forever

Thanks for your input CEO of Monitors Inc.

>go on amazon
>look up "monitor"
>literally all of them have HDMI except for the bottom one which only has DVI and VGA

Consumer monitors do.
Corporate monitors don't necessarily.
You can't buy corporate monitors on Amazon.

Yea but what monitor supports it? Otherwise where are all the 4k 120hz monitors?

The ones that came out almost three years ago

$10k to you or me is like a fraction of a penny to any GPU or monitor company

but it gives them a reason to charge more on a GPU for a feature that like 80% of people wont even use.

>80% of people don't use HDMI
I'm sorry but this seems off, I don't know how only 20% of people use HDMI when most monitors have HDMI as there only digital input

oh ive litterally never used HDMI for any of my monitors. ive only ever used VGA and DVI

and here I am having to use HDMI because I'm using a TV

>Consumer monitors do.
>Corporate monitors don't necessarily.
You've clearly never had a office job if you think companies buy some super special monitors for their cube dwellers

They're not super special, they're cheaper.
Corporate laptops don't always have HDMI, so it's cheaper to simply omit that connector for corporate monitors. It's a cost saving measure.

Man who gives a fuck we've been able to see just fine for over a decade

The real reason to give a shit about 2.1 is eARC. I can't believe "video receivers" were ever a thing. Your amp is obsolete when video improves because arc has been shit forever. They did that shit on purpose to force you to rebuy perfectly functional equipment.

displayport shills are nvdia jews and pajeets
They are obsessed with their meme connection

>nvdia jews
I'm sorry what?
Freesync works best on Displayport.
Pajeets like HDMI because it's on their shitty laptops.

Just started a new job, monitor only had DP and DVI, some 16:10 Dell monitor. (Then I switched it out for another one with HDMI, since I had an HDMI cable laying around).

Fuck, wanted to quote the other guy

See this post

I'm sorry about your poverty

>10k in annual royalties '
>cents per device
>put logos on box drops to 5c
>drops to 4c with HDCP

The $10k is nothing to major companies, laughable cost. They also have a lower rate for low volume manufacturers.

>everyone talking about gaming computers
>ignores it's literally the only port on newer tvs besides audio out

Attached: IMG_1052-LQ.jpg (2503x239, 156K)

>I have never in my life invented anything worthwhile
... the movie.

>rent seeking is a good thing
Either a cuck or a shill. HDMI is a fucking disgrace and should die out with all the other proprietary connections and formats. Open source formats are superior in every way.

HDMI is the standard. dp is just for retards that want to run 3-4 monitors.

>(you) is everyone
Go outside

>connector standards never die off
Uh-huh.

Do Dell ultrasharps have HDMI yet?

>Open source formats are superior in every way.
I used to shill this line in favor of DisplayPort, but it's a widespread lie. Try to actually get your hands on the DisplayPort 1.4 standard and you will quickly find it is walled behind VESA membership application, legal agreements and $5000 a year in membership fees. The same is true of most hardware connectivity standards (PCI Express & M.2, MIPI, HDMI and to a lesser extent Serial ATA, 802.3 and 802.11). USB, Bluetooth and NVMe being the exceptions to the rule.

>does displayport disappear overnight?
Considering that the next DP standard is supposed to be 51.84Gbps, I see no reason it would suddenly disappear. Especially with it's daisy-chaining functionality.

none of that is particularly out of the ordinary for consumer devices and it seems a bit of a silly criticism given that it's a criticism that applies to hdmi also
semantically though displayport is a free standard to members which is why amd were able to propose that freesync become part of the standard

For comparison to HDMI: because it makes the difference between the two as regards openness basically non existent, especially from an open source/open hardware perspective.
For all other purposes: Because it's a downright lie. "Open source to members of our special club who pay exuberant membership fees" is not "open source" by any sane person's definition.

AFAIK HDMI 2.1 is incompatible with 2.0 and other earlier revisions. So if DP can do all of that without a cable change, it will gain some more followers.

What a dishonest presentation.
Due to using a zylinder the throughput between 2.0 and 2.1 seems to be increased 4-6 fold. But in reality they used the radius, which has an ~2 fold increase.

But hdmi is for jews and niggers. Shitty tv connector.

I mainly prefer displayport for the mechanically more solid connectors

Attached: Displayport-cable.jpg (572x346, 63K)

HDMI fucking btfod

DP is literally the only locking connector that I've ever used that isn't cancer

DP sucks when you accidently pull a cable ripped a part of my monitor out can you get DP cables with out the lock button I don't want that shit too risky.

No because it still can't send 8K 60fps though a single cable.
Literally why the fuck did they even release it.

Attached: 39847654.png (769x900, 63K)

>when you accidently pull a cable ripped a part of my monitor out
Why do retards like this exist? How the fuck do they get through their day to day without accidentally killing themselves from sheer stupidity?

I'm no expert but isn't 42 Gbit pretty fucking impressive

not leaving their basement

I could see having a preference for licking it unlocking connectors. Frankly for standards like HDMI and display port the connection is snug enough that you don't have to worry about the cable slowly working it's way out of the port unlike with VGA and DVI. So screwing in those connecters make sense. It's the same reason why a lot of cables have breakaway points but some don't, so people can decide what they want to be more secure, their hardware or their connection to the hardware.

If hdmi truly is 48gbps why isn't it being used for more than just display? I mean, 48bps is a lot quicker than many ethernet cables and USB ports.

I saw Linus Tech Tips show a different use for hdmi, but that was probably just a meme right?

I'm still on vga only monitor

anandtech.com/show/12213/vesa-announces-work-on-next-displayport-standard

>Consequently, the VESA has begun work on a new version of DisplayPort, complete with a faster signaling standard. This presumably will be HBR4, and with the VESA’s current guidance of doubling (or more) HBR3’s speeds, this would mean a cable that can offer 64.8 Gbps or better of bandwidth.

HDMI 2.1 is outdated, 48Gbps is not enough for 8K

"Corporate" laptops (aka business lines like Latitude and Elitebook) are more likely to have VGA and/or HDMI than any other display connector. HDMI is actually pretty common, and as VGA becomes less and less common for TVs, projectors, etc. HDMI will become the standard even for PCs, it's already basically the only game in town for TVs.

My U2414H has HDMI, DP, and miniDP.

Sure, but displayports next version has 51.84Gbps, they obviously have 8k60hz in sight.