Why does Jow Forums own the worst computers?

why does Jow Forums own the worst computers?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 136K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fonts.google.com/?category=Monospace
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nowadays the market is pretty saturated, in the early 2000s you needed a new PC for the most basic tasks every year, but now you can still work well with a C2D if you give it a SSD. A C2D still has similar performance to a phone CPU.

I can get a HD 7770, 4 GB DDR3, Athlon 250 and board. Would you recommend me to get it and send it to my BF who uses a Athlon 5350 shit PC? He could reuse 4 GB of his RAM.

Reason number 1: quite a few people here, despite their crippling autism, are smart enough to realize that they don't need an ultra powerful new shining machine to do their computing, so they stick to old shit that just works.

Reason number 2: they are cheap and in many cases as good as more expensive machines for your particular use cases.

Reason number 3: they are less botnet.

Reason number 4: it's fun to see how far you can push these old bad boys. I'm still surprised at how fast my old T43p has become after a bit of tinkering.

AMD FX still best

>Reason number 1: quite a few people here, despite their crippling autism, are smart enough to realize that they don't need an ultra powerful new shining machine to do their computing, so they stick to old shit that just works.

This.

I'm still using my i3 2120 build and I have no intention to upgrade.

If you dont play games or render and only do basic office tasks yes.

I own the best computers, as I only use PowerPC.

I rarely play games, I mostly listen music, watch movies and do web dev.

As I said, more than enough.

>If you dont play games
This is Jow Forums, not /v/. Why do you /v/ users always have to talk about your toys?

Also, the thing is there's a wide range of people that don't give a fuck about the AAA shovelware, so if you play older games you don't really need high end stuff.

>why does Jow Forums own the worst computers?
We don't. We own whatever fits our needs. I wouldn't buy a fucking Bugatti Divo to get to my workplace, even if I had the money.

Found my girl

just wait till I get my 64 core 128 thread 7nm threadripper and 7nm NAVI GPU
we'll see who has worse computer then

Im a boywife

I am using C2D (E8500 at 3.15Ghz) with an SSD and it's better than a phone at most tasks actually. Especially after you tweak Windows to remove some of the bloat. It does have issues with 1080p60fps video though.
It also doesn't help that websites are getting more bloated by the day. Youtube actually lags behind on loading stuff, it's fucking horrible.

windows is bloat
the only way to remove bloat is to install gentoo

Even better

You can fuck right off

>builtin ads
you clearly are rajeesh

Not him, but it’s retarded how the price for Windows 7 has skyrocketed because of the free upgrade to 10. It’s cheaper to buy windows 10 than to buy and upgrade 7 so why is it happening?

stop giving micropenis your money, let that company die already

own 2500k since 2012
it works fine
new rig would only speed up benchmark, rendering or encoding which I don't do

You can turn that off along with Cortana and many other bullshit if you can be bothered to look into it. You either already know this and play dumb or are actually dumb. Either way you can fuck off.

Prove it. I only use PowerPC, UltraSPARC, ARM, 68k and one non-Intel (NEC V20) x86 machine.

Attached: It's a beige G3.png (1280x960, 1.41M)

I own a sweet MBP for web development and Creative Suite usage.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 14.17.27.jpg (2880x1800, 1.78M)

>why does Jow Forums own the worst computers?

Because Apple is most popular among brainless consumers

How bad does it overheat and thermal throttle? That was the main reason I never got one.

same here, but MacBook Air.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 9.28.22 AM.png (1440x900, 937K)

I use this 12" Powerbook G4 running Tiger, as well as a 1GHz iBook G4 running Debian, two 15" 1.67GHz Powerbook G4s running Leopard and Gentoo, a 700MHz eMac G4 running OS 9.2 and Tiger, and a 2GHz iMac G5 running Leopard.

Attached: tigre.jpg (1023x767, 96K)

I don't. I own a MacBook Pro.

I have Athlon X2 6000+ and GT 240. Should I install Gentoo with cwm? What to do in order to achieve maximum usability?

The powerbooks are a fucking nightmare to disassemble. I tore my down to apply new thermal paste recently, and the buckling devices on the keys I had to remove, to remove the keybord cracked when I removed them, because they were so old and brittle. It's like 40 something steps to finally get to the point whereyou can remove the heat sink. Fucking terrible.

Like others have said:
I don't play new games, mostly just do basic shit, only two demanding tasks I do on occasion is encode video or photo edit. Back in 2012 when I ripped my DVD collection I just setup a 2nd dedicated headless tower and had it,my desktop, and my laptop all encoding video.

Attached: Speccy.jpg (894x588, 262K)

It can get a bit hot, but I've got this thing called smcFanControl which lets me boost up the fan speed if I want to (pic related).

Mostly under MacOS it's fine though, the fans kick in when they need to. As for thermal throttling, I've never noticed performance taking a hit when it gets hot.

Under Windows it can get a bit hotter, and the fans don't seem to kick in as early as they do under MacOS, but I've got another app on the Windows side (called Mac Fan Control or something) so I can adjust fan speed on that if I want to.

I don't think these fan control apps are necessarily needed though, especially under MacOS. I'm just a nerd that likes to tinker. As I say I've never noticed any sort of thermal throttling.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 14.36.10.jpg (500x390, 44K)

>I am using C2D (E8500 at 3.15Ghz)
>tweak Windows
>remove some of the bloat
>It does have issues with 1080p60fps video
>Youtube actually lags behind on loading stuff
>it's fucking horrible.

Attached: satirical-view-of-the-free-born-englishman-following-the-peterloo-G38EC3.jpg (960x1390, 241K)

The 15" models are fine, only the 12" models are a pain. iBooks are worse to disassemble if you want to reapply paste or replace the screen. It only took me a few minutes to put an "SSD" in my 15" Powerbook.

A cheap gpu would solve your video playback issue. CPU video decoding is awful.

I'm using W7 with an Athlon x2 4600+.

You'll be fine nigga.

How well does Debian run on your Powerbook? I've been looking into getting a 15" to use as a daily driver. Is it feasible?

I do web dev, I have too much money, so I spend it on macbook pro, thinkpad t480 and a box with similar specs and a 34inch monitor ,most expensive mouse and keyboards on the market, and I still have too much money, where is your argument now?

>buy Rasp Pi 3
>install Raspbian
$17.

Argument for what?

I do with my money whatever the fuck I want, just like you do. I never said anyone was wrong.

It's not great. XFCE was too heavy for it, i3 didn't work, so I was stuck with dwm. It's slow, but if you got a 1.67GHz Powerbook G4 it would be a lot more usable. I was only working with 256mb of RAM, too, so make sure you upgrade to the full 1.5GB.
Remember, they use IDE drives, so you can't get much faster than a 7200RPM drive. I use a CF card, but it isn't much faster and the cost is high.
You can definitely use a Powerbook as a daily driver, though. They're great to type on, too.

Well I am saying you are wrong,
using new stuff makes me better at my job, because most of the decisions I make about purrchases are about productivity, so if my pc is 50% faster than yours, I am willing to pay hell of a lot more than what I did for my babies

How does it feel to be faggots?
How does it feel to be a dumb furry faggot?
STOP

>let that company die already
>being this delusional

O I AM LAFFIN

>play games
why would I do that?
>render
if you're actually rendering something that requires more than a $300 PC usually the company you work for will pay for a high end computer for you or connect you to their render farm

you can own the world's largest library but if you can't read then what's the use?

>Well I am saying you are wrong,

I'm not.

And I think that I may have a better insight of what kind of power do I need for my computer.

Also I definitely wouldn't say that your worries about heat should stop you from buying one.

I bought one because it's what my company bought for me in my last job and I thought it was such a great computer that I wanted one for myself.

I looked at competitors like the Dell XPS 13, which is probably the closest competitor - another slim, metal unibody, well built, ultrabook. I'm sure that computer probably gets just as hot as the MBP, because there's only so much cooling you can pack into a small ultrabook frame. But anyway, I went for the MBP because I like MacOS. Small things like inertial scrolling, trackpad gestures, Spotlight, are really useful. Yes Windows does have Spotlight-style search now, but it's not as useful. Pic related - Spotlight does instant conversions of things like currency, length, temperature, etc. And it looks up words in the dictionary too. And you only have to hit Command+Space to bring up Spotlight, so it's really easy to use. It's just small things like that which make MacOS more enjoyable in my view.

Oh yeah and MacOS is UNIX-based which makes web development easier. That's a big factor too.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 15.05.32.png (1584x1084, 235K)

I was considering using a CF card. I figured it might help conserve battery life a bit, considering there are no moving parts. Would I be better off just sticking to MacOS, as opposed to running GNU/Linux?

>he can't afford a superior Macintosh computer
LMAO @ UR LYF

How about you try not being poor so you can afford a good computer?

The difference is that the only way that you can ready a whole library is if you own it.

Very nice. Here are the 'fetches of some of my RISC machines. PowerMac G4 MDD dual 1.33 running Leopard, Power Macintosh G3 (upgraded with a G4 CPU module) single 417MHz running Tiger (dualbootin with OS 9.2.2), 1.42GHz iBook G4 running Debian, and Sun Ultra Enterprise 250 (Dual 432MHz UltraSPARC IIs) running Debian too.
I have Debian on my iBook and I'd say it's perfectly usable. Browsing the modern bloated web has started to become a bit of a pain, since the highest version of Firefox you'll be able to run is 52ESR thanks to Rust being x86-centric. It plays up to 720p low profile h.264 video just fine, and it performs all tasks relatively well, as long as they don't require 3D acceleration, which is completely broken. If you plan on getting a PowerBook for use with GNU/Linux, make sure you get one with ATi graphics, as novidya cards don't get any acceleration whatsoever.
>Remember, they use IDE drives, so you can't get much faster than a 7200RPM drive. I use a CF card, but it isn't much faster and the cost is high.
What?
I use an m.2 SSD in my iBook (IDE to mSATA adapter + mSATA to m.2 adapter). Way faster than a CF card, and a ton cheaper.
Get an mSATA or m.2 SSD with an adapter, CF cards are slow and expensive.

Attached: Picture 1.png (1920x1200, 1.98M)

Just don't play zoomer games, they are shit anyway.

I'd say Gentoo is almost as usable as Mac OS, but it lacks a lot of utility software and hardware support. OS X Leopard is the best option, you can get a lot of software with Mac Ports and the PPC App Store. Make sure you download G4 fan control, too, because Powerbooks can cool themselves very well, but the default fan threshold is way too high.
Most compatible Linux distros, besides Gentoo, are out of date at this point. Debian dropped support with 9, Yellow Dog is dead. There is another option in MorphOS, though. It's an Amiga-like OS that runs very well on PowerPC and supports the hardware.
A CF card is good if you don't mind paying for a decent sized one and an adapter. You can get full HDD sized adapters, so the card won't have to be secured by other means, and they support two cards, so you could set them up in a RAID for better rw speeds.

Most of us aren't children who play bideo gaymes, so we just need a 2.0 ghz or higher cpu, 4- 8 gb ram, and a nice ssd with a backup hdd.

What a terrible font that is. go check your eyes

Yeah, my 12" PowerBook G4 has an Nvidia card, and 3d hardware acceleration is non existent in Lubuntu. It's hard to find an ebay listing for a PowerBook, where the seller explicitly states whether it has an ATI, or AMD GPU. Maybe I'll just stay stuck in the x86 botnet.

>Debian dropped support with 9
Official support*
It's still supported via the Debian Ports project.
Listen, I know. Any recommendations for a better terminal font?
By the way, here's a picture of the SSD in the iBook.

Attached: SSD.jpg (2560x1920, 2.1M)

What are you even on about, pajeet?

>Way faster than a CF card
What are your read/write speeds like?

Just use everymac. If you know the model they're selling you can determine the GPU it has.

Yes, any monospaced font will work.
Inconsolata
Source Code Pro
Roboto

Really depends on your taste: fonts.google.com/?category=Monospace

Nvidia*

Here are the uncached sequential ones. Not bad for IDE methinks.
Thanks!

Attached: 2018-09-02-163345_539x159_scrot.png (539x159, 27K)

oh look, another "stop buying used and consume goy" thread.
totally not sage-ing and reporting this, I promise

What about *BSD?

I've installed FreeBSD before and it ran well enough. Maybe better than any Linux distro, but I am not a fan of BSD so I didn't stick with it.

Debian Sid (from Debian Ports) supports it and works well. There's also Adélie Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD. OpenBSD, Debian and Adélie all have up to date binary packages for PowerPC so they're all perhaps more practical options than Gentoo. I'm pretty sure also the core packages of Ubuntu Xenial are still supported on PowerPC.

Your font looks good. Maybe just disable bold fonts. For larger screens I personally prefer to not use bitmap fonts and instead go for Pragmata Pro or Iosevka. For small bitmap fonts, I like GohuFont and the default size variant of Monaco in the terminal in OS X Leopard (something around 10 pt I think). Both are very clear and well-distinguished fonts.

I dislike *BSD, so I don't use them. But I know most of them support PowerPC. I've heard about Adelie Linux but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe when it is a little further along.

I think 12 pt Source Code Pro with disabled bold text does the trick. I'm using a 24" display and I sit quite far from it, so I don't care about the horrible antialiasing (looks worse without it.)
Thanks, anons.

Attached: Picture 4.png (673x460, 124K)

Am I doing something wrong?

Attached: screenshot_2018_09_02_17-06-15.jpg (566x348, 45K)

You're not dropping the caches before doing the read test.

Cool, thanks.

Terminus is my favorite font for terminals.