Redpill me on Slack. Is it any good?

Redpill me on Slack. Is it any good?

Attached: unfurl_why_slack[1].png (2400x1256, 317K)

No

Only use it at work. It's best in class for enterprise instant messaging.

Consider Skype or MSNchat.

I wouldn't use it for anything other than work and uni related stuff

It's the kind of thing that makes work soulless. Special snowflakes think it's a medium for creative expression. They are the same people who wear wacky socks under their business casual attire.

It has good emoji support.

Proprietary garbage. Use IRC instead.

Imagine getting work emails but people expect instant answers.

better than skype at least

Functional wise is great.
Drawbacks:
- Botnet / data mining risk
- Proprietary code
Resolution:
- Open source alternatives e.g. mattermost, which you can host locally.

Norman IRC with custom emoticon garbage

Does it at least refrain from showing who's read or not read your message?

Riot.im

>using slack on slackware while slacking

Slack is a good distro, I use it myself.

Unironically good but the competition is Skype for Business and M$ Teams which are both dog shit.

From a management standpoint it's okay, unless you pay for the higher package they don't retain dm's which is kinda bad from a GDPR standpoint.

It always manages to get in the way, whatever you're trying to do. It's like it wants attention from you. While full of cruft, it does nothing better than what IRC, MSN Messenger or any IM program that came before did. Being based on electron, it's crap even from a technical point of view. On Windows, it installs itself into the unprotected %LocalAppData% folder instead of %ProgramFiles% and it sneakily updates itself when you don't know nor control*. I hate it and I only use it because of stupid corporate monoculture (where they don't even pay for a proper account and as a result I'm constantly nagged by Slack itself about it).

*I know there's an MSI package, but you've got to look hard for it.

My only complaint is that it's proprietary and I can't host it myself for personal shit. I legitimately like it and would use it outside of work for personal shit if not for the closed nature, but what can you do. I'm waiting for the OSS competition to catch up but it's a gruelingly slow pace. Look at this shit This is our best alternative. Acceptable at best protocols with awful reference server and client implementations with no good non-ref implementations. Second to this? XMPP which is good and has good server implimentations, but no users, terrible clients, and no consistency on extension support anywhere despite that being the X in XMPP.

Janky piece of shit

fpbp

No better alternatives