/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: coreboot_tint.jpg (3264x2448, 1.43M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=93c1rGSGklw
forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/X1-Carbon-Gen-6-cannot-enter-deep-sleep-S3-state-aka-Suspend-to/m-p/4016317#M10682
delta-xi.net/#056
linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-linux-advanced-power-management.html
amazon.com/AUKEY-Mechanical-Keyboard-Anti-Ghosting-Resistant/dp/B06XKV8R9Z/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535900948&sr=8-4&keywords=mechanical keyboard aukey
amazon.com/BenQ-GW2480-Monitor-Flicker-free-Speakers/dp/B072XCZSSW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1535901024&sr=1-3&keywords=Benq RL2455&dpID=51k9QM9NknL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

lolis!

T450s or dell latitude e7440 please help a brother out

I am STILL using the e6410 but thats because it has 16:10 aspect which is the golden ratio
yours would have 1366x768 an inferior 16:9 aspect might as well get the more expensive thinkpad

I'm thinking about getting a new laptop. Can't decide between this three:

- Dell XPS 15
- Lenovo Thinktpad X1 Carbon 2018
- Lenovo Thinktpad T480 (or 480s)

Can you help me please?
For working with arch mostly.

The 0B41088 heatsink is recommended for the T430, I own a 0B41087 that I've installed, is it worth the upgrade? CPU is a 3632QM.

Attached: RJ204236.jpg (1300x975, 176K)

Why the hell is so hard to find a new keyboard for my X220 in Europe? Why am I forced to import one from China?

I own 1 in Kraut for cheap, two Dutch ones.

Got a T40.
What the fuck is it good for?

Attached: 36176097_10102978136986596_1861617621279965184_n.jpg (697x960, 81K)

e7450

For nothing

Is the X1 Carbon a good Thinkpad?
I just want a really high quality and durable ultrabook.

both are 1920x1080!
what's the difference?

You can try running some BSD on it and use it for CLI applications (tmux, vim, mutt, irssi, etc...).

Attached: 1522483197579.jpg (3000x3119, 1.28M)

What the heck, every once in a while there's this clanking sound that comes from inside my T420. Like a switch going off or something. What could it be

Attached: 1522635580119.jpg (504x529, 55K)

What do you want to know? Pretty easy to compare the specs of thosejust looking at their website. They all can dual boot linux safely.

I tend to stay away from slimmer laptops like the t480s, x1 and xps just because they get hot. It really depends what you wanna know. What ports do you need? What screen display? Battery life? And so on.

Of those 4, I'd personally buy the t480

what's the best strategy to conserve your battery? when at home do you keep it plugged in, or charge it to 80-90%, let it drain, and charge again?

youtube.com/watch?v=93c1rGSGklw

Fucked up son. T480S dual heatpipe cooling amd T480 does not.

Cool laptops are T480 with nvidia discrete because it has proper dual heatpipe

And T480s who have dual heatpipe in all models

you can very easily transplant the heatpipe to the 480

what's this game?

how to various shapes of penises into ur vagene

is 250 USD a fair price for an x250?

Looking for purchase advice!

Budget: 650$
Requirements: Can handle art programs for light painting ( Krita, Photoshop, Sai ), if it could run a game like DA inquisitions that would be cool too. I'll mostly be using it to access our school's web portal though, torrent anime, code, etc.

Hey, I have a question about X1 Carbon, 6th gen.
I'm considering buying one for work, but the one thing I worry about is heat. I work a lot from cafes, buses, trains(moving a lot) and my 4year old X240 has some serious heat issues when being pushed to the limit, not a pleasant thing on your lap for a good part of the day.

I've heard that if I get the one with i7(i7-8550U or i7-8650U) I might experience similar heat issues which in turn will cause throttling of the cpu. Which makes me think that buying one with i5(i5-8250U or i5-8350U) since it won't have the heat issues and is still good for what I do.

Anyone here has X1 with i7 (specifically 6th gen) and can comment on the heat?

Attached: x1carbon2018_18-800x533.jpg (800x533, 73K)

I should also add that it needs to be able to play 1080p videos. My current laptop's never been able to do that. So. Yeah.

I have a a top spec (don't ask me which cpu, work bought it) X1C6 and my current project is really cpu intensive (7 docker containers, one running a POS MongoDB we're migrating away from, and webpack hot reloading all day) cpu sits at 15-40% all day and it never gets too hot for my lap. I used to have a sandy bridge E6410 and that would burn thighs in minutes, this is a whole nother world.

Bear in mind it can't sleep when running Linux (see my rant above). I'm returning mine for a 480s for this reason. ~Fuck you lenovo ~Fuck you MS, I loved this thing

Uh user, I hope you have backups

Yeah I figured that might be it. Never actually had a drive die before

>Bear in mind it can't sleep when running Linux
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

Which distro? Thats a real bummer, I can't use it if it doesn't sleep properly. That's absurd?
Fuck. I really wanted this laptop...

I have an optimus thickbad. What's the best distro for it? Something that handles nvidia well. I'm really gonna be using both graphics cards interchangeably often.

Ah this is a new thread, my rant was in the last thread. Many new laptops with soldered ram now use Si03 (Windows modern sleep) instead of the age old S3 sleep mode. This is some proprietary and undocumented mode that Linux will struggle to ever implement, so MS can wake your machine while it's sleeping to check for updates like Apple does.

This affects anything non-windows, every distro and the bsds.

Tbh this has been pissing me off so much I'm really glad someone else is mad too.

Have you tried this?
forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/X1-Carbon-Gen-6-cannot-enter-deep-sleep-S3-state-aka-Suspend-to/m-p/4016317#M10682
>Please try pass `acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1` on the Linux command line.
>This acpi param is supported from v4.13, it is simple to reduce the power consumption.
>If it meets your requirement, then no need to patch DSDT which is more complex.
>Power button can wake up system.

I haven't tried that but I'm familiar with that thread, later on Lenovo basically say they're never going to fix this because it's not a bug (same thing they said to me after 3 phone calls). Also that patch would only reduce power consumption to 0.84W, so you would still lose at least 1/3 of your battery every 24hrs in sleep.

I have tried patching the DSDT tables as described here delta-xi.net/#056 and it appears to work as described but I still lose power at the same rate. Plus this fix has to be reapplied every time you update grub or the kernel.

Honesty it sucks so bad, just call Lenovo and abuse the shit out of their sales reps and then get a gen 5 or a 480s

Thanks my dude. You've probably saved me a lot of headache. I owe you a beer.
And I'll be sure to call them and tell them what I think about it. Cheers!

Glad I could help someone out, just try and pay it forward (the x1c6 is still on the ubuntu certified list) it just seems like no one cares.

New MS loves opens source my ass, same old shit.

Does anyone have a toughbook cf-19 I want to know how accurate the touch is and if it is good for drawing, if not then I'll get a x220t or x230t

I'm seeing an brand new and sealed X1 Yoga with an i7-8550U and 512GB SSD for $700 on Craigslist.

Is this a no-go? What could the catch be?

Attached: lenovo-thinkpad-x1-yoga-hero.png?context=bWFzdGVyfC9lbWVhL2ltYWdlcy98MTE5OTg3fGltYWdlL3BuZ3wvZW1lYS9 (725x515, 117K)

So if I stay away from models with soldered memory I won't have this problem should I install a non-Windows OS?

Hey Jow Forums,

Got a little question, I got a refurbished T440P recently and for some reason the LCD back cover seems allot more darker then the rest of the body.

It doesn't seem te be a sticker since I can't pull it off.

Does anyone know if this is right? Can post pics if necessary.

What docking station should i look for for T430?

I found a detailed and well written forum post stating that Si03 requires soldered ram so yes you should be okay with non soldered ram. But I don't know why this would be the case and have not verified this with real sources, do you own research before buying etc

Tint for Coreboot is not fun. It uses always the same seed for the PRNG.

Use tlp to set up battery charge thresholds.
linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-linux-advanced-power-management.html

t41
t420s (i7)8gb_____$100 W/ HDD Caddy
t420s (i5)8gb_____$95
w520 (i7)16gb____$75

Dat keyboard. I am a firm believer in the TracPoint. If you are the kind of degenerate that uses a touch pad you are living in sin.

Use SSD and make sure you do a proper cleaning. Full alcohol break down and thermal paste.
Use the oem Windows 7 pro License and dual boot Debian.

Attached: two chicks at the same time.jpg (800x600, 147K)

I have a T440s now and very proud of it :3
I ordered the T450s Trackpad for replacement and got a docking station for free.
Furthermore i ordered a monitor and keyboard:
amazon.com/AUKEY-Mechanical-Keyboard-Anti-Ghosting-Resistant/dp/B06XKV8R9Z/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535900948&sr=8-4&keywords=mechanical keyboard aukey

amazon.com/BenQ-GW2480-Monitor-Flicker-free-Speakers/dp/B072XCZSSW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1535901024&sr=1-3&keywords=Benq RL2455&dpID=51k9QM9NknL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Am I awesome or not? If not, why?

Attached: sdfgsdf.jpg (867x720, 114K)

So my x220 wont turn on, and when I plug the thing into the wall it doesnt charge. Or at least the leds that indicate it's charging dont come on. This is an issue with the motherboard, right? I want to double check before I order a new one.

Obvious answer is the original back cover was damaged and replaced as part of the refurbishment right? Difference in color could be due to age, or it being manufactured at a different facility.

Can I use my China 9cell from my x200 in my x230?
I read something about windows not detecting an authentication chip and giving you some error popup but I'm using Linux.

It's burried away so don't feel like digging it out just to test

it's stolen?

I love my t430 and its linniks support, thanks /tpg/ for existing

*ganoo/linnicks

ssh

My t420 wont boot after I took it apart and cleaned it. when I try to turb it on the light on the power button will blink green in one second intervals. I have looked everywhere for a fix to this. I even wapped out the motherboard and it still doesn't work. Also have an x60 that reaches 170 degrees f after 20 minutes of use and im afraid to use it because I don't want to fry it. any advice for either thinkpad?

Anyone got experience with buying refurbished laptops from Newegg?

I found a
>Dell Latitude E6540 - Quad Core i7 2.7GHz (4800MQ) CPU - 8GB RAM - 256GB SSD - DVDRW - 15.6" HD Display - AMD Radeon HD 8790M Video Card

And a

>Dell Precision M4800 15.6" Laptop Workstation, Quad Core i7 4800MQ 2.7Ghz, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD Hard Drive, 1080p FHD, HDMI, AMD FirePro M5100, Webcam, Windows 10 Pro - B Grade

Both are within my budget, and they'll do what I want them to do. But they're. Refurbished.

Also will I have to worry about over-heating? The graphic cards are pretty beefy.

Attached: 1504986780130.png (888x823, 604K)

im aware of tlp but im specifcially interested if it's better to run the laptop off the AC or to keep recharging it, in terms of battery health

*turn *swapped. excuse my typos

Oh I don't use nano

Hi /tpg/, I'm interested in buying another ThinkPad. I had a T60 that lasted nearly a decade before refusing to power on a while back, overall was happy with it quality-wise and I'd like something roughly the same, just more modern. Only to be used for mobility (browsing and maybe light coding). I prefer using my desktop for anything serious so really I don't even need docking capability. I'll probably put a lightweight Linux distro on it and don't give a shit about dual booting with Windows, so I need something that doesn't have a retarded UEFI that will get in the way of that.

From what I've read, the general hierarchy of quality seems to be X > W/P > T. Is that right? Are A and E series even worth considering?

Also just so I'm clear, the first number in the new naming scheme refers to screen size right? So something x4xx (like T430) would mean a 14" screen? Pretty sure my T60 had a 14" which is probably the size I'd want to stick with, less than that seems too small but I don't need wide or huge either.

Appreciate any recommendations you Jow Forumsentoomen may have.

Anyone?

Attached: 1511022538237.jpg (1280x720, 118K)

Honestly I would go for an x220 over an x1 carbon.

>found a t440p on ebay
>1600x900 w/ the 730m
>it arrives
>its 1366/728 with no vidya

last time I use ebay

hey I have a m4800, it is a pretty comfortable laptop imo.
> Intel Core i7-4900MQ
>16gb of ram
> k2100m
i should termal paste it some time but after cleaning it out it hasnt been horrible to me

ask money back right now.
item not as described is a good reason. I believe ebay is pretty strict against this

Not enough power, screen too low resolution and not really an ultrabook.

I am in that process but it's just aggravating to go through. Now I have to wait until it is all resolved and I have my money back before I go out and buy another one.

then take whatever refund, get a 1080p ips panel, then grow up and stop playing video games so that the igpu is enough for your newfound adult computing needs

Does the x220 have two finger scroll?

Why isn't the Lenovo PSREF part of the OP? Surely it would help anons looking for a thinkpad with a predetermind set of features.

>w520 i7 $75

naniii?????
that's ultra cheap! where did you get that?

why aren't you using the productivity trackball?

Remember those dope "TOASTER" foil stickers that were being sold here a while ago? Were there any more batches after the first one?

why wouldnt it

A lot of older laptops don't.

Does anyone use a privacy filter thingy and could recommend one?

Attached: 31jHaJYhKhL._AC_US218_.jpg (218x218, 4K)

Yes it does, at least on xubuntu that's what I have installed on mine.

whoa
seconding this

Thinkpads screens are so bad you don't even need a privacy filter.

:crying_of_laughter_emoji: :ok_hand: this desu senpai

How does that even work?

how is the package called in OP's pic?

How hot does it get?

>his thinkpad doesn't have the ibm logo

What is "Europe"? Is it a country?

the cpu, with the things I do (nothing heavy)
55/63 this is 3 browsers (chromium) all multiple tabs, steam opened (no game), emacs with a few buffers opened and runelite opened

Overheating is only a problem when your cooling isn't adequate. You can consider going crazy and attaching radiators to the heat pipe and using liquid metal. It should be enough to stop your laptop from throttling.
If you want to avoid these problems, use thicker laptops with more room for airflow and better cooling. X1 carbon is possibly the worst series you could think of if you want to have cooling that can manage high loads.

anything you want me to test?

Can I replace an ISO with an ANSI keyboard without problems?

Just got a T530 with dGPU
What systemd/linux distro should I install now?

>tfw you run your finger around the soft rim trackpoint

Who else?

Attached: download (2).jpg (104x104, 2K)

what do you plan to do with it?
just use manjaro or something easy if you want it to just werk

Photoshop or some similar program, if possible.
Maybe even a game.

Should've gotten a t440p.

Thinking of getting a t440p and swapping in a 4700hq and an ssd down the road, other than the poo keyboard is there anything I should keep in mind?

It's quite thick and doesn't have an Expresscard slot so you can't easily use an eGPU.

>gimp
>2 chromium browsers (both 5 tabs minimal)
>enter the gungeon
>gimp
>steam
69/70
>adding runelite
thats what it is for me currently

dual monitors btw*

2 tabs play twitch streams btw at 720
and 1 a rabb it stream
othr tabs are basic pages nothing much happening

I wanna lick her ass bad

Pretty much everything really, from using WINE to run winderps programs (photoshop, gayms, visual studio) to running VMs, to video editing, web dev, pythonshit etc.
I've been looking around, manjaro doesn't seem to be the one tho, I've looked at their forums a month ago and there were threads complaining of broken python packages after an update so I'd rather not use a rolling release.
And as per above I'd need to use the nvidia card often, seems KDE stuff are out of the equation too.