/wt/ - watch thread Explorer edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Note:
>please no toxic insults or the mods will ban it again
>watches are technology

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Attached: IMG_6916.jpg (750x500, 387K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Seiko-SNKK65-Automatic-Stainless-Silver-Tone/dp/B004JOBXAY/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1535912634&sr=8-22&keywords=automatic watch seiko
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Very glad to see this return to Jow Forums. Watches ARE technology.

I have a Timex expedition and I'm looking to get something in the ~$150. Any suggestions? Preferably something with the date on the face like my expedition.

Hey, I need an advice. I use Seiko SNK803K2 for about half a year, and I like them except for slow day/date change and lack of manual winding.
I hate to shake the watch like an idiot on weekends, when I don't use it.
Can /wt/ recommend me a military style mechanical watch with day and date indication (ideally, with fast update of those), and with manual winding?

Check out the Seiko 5 line. There's a lot to chose from at that price point.

need a second watch as a daily beater
are timex watches decent?
saw a quite nice model and thinking about getting one

Can we take a minute to appreciate ruggid watches like the gshocks? They are amazingly good and i refuse to wear any other watches in fear of breaking them.

Attached: 20180902_193643.jpg (4032x3024, 3.25M)

Watches can be good for quickly seeing the time, but what else are they good for? I mean I could easily just look at my phone, so how is it worth having a device constantly around my wrist for a second at most time gain?

For looking cool dummy.

Attached: 10251040.png (497x732, 418K)

They've transitioned into smartwatch very well

Attached: casio.png (333x486, 134K)

Having notifications, quick replies, the ability to pick up phone and control music from your watch allows you to have a bigger phone, or even a tablet with you instead of a phone. I love the combination, and I move a lot, so it's perfect for me. I don't want to take my phone out on the go.

How is looking cool technology?

Those are smart watches and are not watches. Every watch ITT is not a smart watch.

Well a regular watch is going to be obsolete sooner than you think. But as long as they are around, it's a quicker way to check the time, you can also set up alarms on them, and they also tell you the date - but that's the extent of what they can do. I've got my first watch from my father when I was in school, and it was a nice casio with a calc, it was really comfy, but I abandoned it when smartphones kicked in. Now with smartwatch I finally feel like my watch is at least as useful as calc watch were when I was in school.

I'm pretty excited, my DW-7900 should arrive anyday now. Will be replacing my DW-5600MS.

Attached: Screenshot_20180902-103917_eBay.jpg (1439x2194, 1.17M)

Pocket watches died in the 20th century user, why do you insist on going back?

Attached: IMG_20180901_154113.jpg (1920x2560, 2.09M)

I thought these threads were banned here?

I have an automatic black faced watch with a leather band, should I get this one for contrast?

amazon.com/Seiko-SNKK65-Automatic-Stainless-Silver-Tone/dp/B004JOBXAY/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1535912634&sr=8-22&keywords=automatic watch seiko

What the fuck? Are these thread supposed to be on /fa/? What the shit is happening?

Any idea how the canvas bands hold up? I work with my hands, and while I usually try to remember to put on a cheaper watch when I'm working, I'm still harder on them than perhaps the average user.
I like the leather band of my expedition but after a year of constant use it looks a little worn.

Unless someone comes up with more on the TECH angle it will be banned. And there is a lot of tech out there, instead we get the same pics every time.

A smart watch is in fact a watch. You wear it on your wrist and it tells time.

Been seriously considering one of these as my next smart watch. They look really good.

Which mechanical movement is your favorite?

Attached: Breitling3.jpg (5423x3648, 516K)