Microsoft's downfall

Seriously this is by far the biggest disappointment in tech.
Windows 7 was so amazing, I literally can not understand what Steve Ballmer did, that made Windows 7 so amazing.
But then he left, and the pajeets made Windows 10, which I can confirm is a reason why Mac OS has seen an increase in popularity.

Microsoft really shot itself in the foot, when creating their latest operating system.
Just what are they trying to do with the future of Windows?

Attached: windows-7-vs-windows-10.jpg (640x339, 42K)

I disagree.

I agree.

I don't give a shit.

>hook up 55 inch 4k tv to computer.
>has win7 and win10 installed
>boot win7
>looks like shit
>boot win10
>scale icons to 300 percent
>it.. it's beautiful
>fall in love with win10

I think this explains it all OP, Win10 is meant for zoomers that will take a shitty search service, slow startup, hdd rape, RAM rape, shit dx9 performance, ads, an OS devoted to spy on you for money, (I can go on)...
..as long as it looks pretty.

Mac OS gained popularity several years before Windows 8 came out; the main reason is because they switched to the aluminum books, which got the soibois wet. Also, the iPhone's increase in popularity drove their market share and ad budgets up, etc. Windows 10 would be just as good if it weren't for the OS raping your privacy and ignoring the end-user's commands.

>Windows 7 was so amazing
No.

They will do exactly nothing unless Windows 10 starts to seriously loose market share. Since Windows 10 is basically still in an alpha state since 3 years and no one seems to care, i doubt that something like that will ever happen.

It's just not pretty, user. It is a clusterfuck out of at least 4 different design concepts brought together in the most retarded way possible.

You think it's disappointing that MSFT is doing better than ever under Ballmer and continuing to hit all time highs?

Aside from the simple interface, which Apple and Windows both did basically hand in hand, the sole appeal of Windows is that Microsoft managed to weasel their way into the dotcom boom and got Windows 2000 and XP on hundreds of millions of desktops in modernizing offices and homes across the world and thus most actually good software was made for them and they become t h e computer OS.

They haven't really innovated from that time period, and their appeal is still pretty strictly that. For computers they just have the simplest and best software/games that anybody can use and play, but even with that I believe over half the world accesses the internet by phone now, primarily Android obviously for the same exact reason that Windows took off.

That being said Microsoft is in a precarious position of having abandoned their attempts to break into the mobile market, producing a console thats generally considered to a be a failure, and producing an OS that a sizable minority of their remaining userbase doesn't like. They're so desperate for money so much they're integrating shit like ads and spyware into Windows out of the box. Aside from their IT and cybersecurity sector Microsoft just isn't doing well for itself. Powerusers are clinging to their old OS or switching to Linux(which is narrowing the gap in software functionality with Wine getting so much better), and casuals are switching to Android as they enter the tablet and laptop/netbook sphere, as well as an increased prominence of Appleshit in about ~10% of the market. When Android finally starts becoming a capable laptop OS, Windows will lose the laptop market almost overnight(which is probably most of their users).

The only solid thing that Windows has for itself is the fact it's the only really viable gaming OS for most people, Macs suck ass and Linux is for autists. Window's primarily demographic is increasingly the desktop using fat PC gamer and thats probably the future of the OS.

10 really does have more and better functionality than 7, however the fact that we cannot easily completely turn off telemetry from within win10 makes it a turn off. i use it at work and its pretty good. but not at home.

The personal computer segment is dead. Modern computing involves a huge 4k or higher resolution tv, and a computer hooked up to it.

>10 really does have more and better functionality than
Such as..?

Couch computing, makes sense with xbox one

This. Windows 7 is a pain in the ass compared to W10. I have to use W7 at work and it feels like ancient garbage compared to 10. Also aero was always ugly as sin. I'll take sharp corners and flat colors over that bubbly teal glass any day.

>They haven't really innovated from that time period, and their appeal is still pretty strictly that.
Actually, they are innovating a lot of shit. You've got Windows Ink, touchable screens, support for ARM architecture, sandboxed applications, a lot of Office applications which you can use from other platform, HoloLens, all AR related shit. Not even mentioning they were pushing smartphones thing earlier than Google and Apple even though about it or their streaming music service Groovy, which preceeded Spotify.

They're innovating a lot. But more than often they're introducing those services in beta-quality state and we've got, what we've got.

> They're so desperate for money so much they're integrating shit like ads and spyware into Windows out of the box.
Nope. This is necessity for primarly software company to integrate machine learning ad-spyware in their consumer based services, for better functionalities. Maybe Apple isn't competition for them in that matter (Hi, Siri!), but imagining competition with Google without using user's data on consumer market?

> When Android finally starts becoming a capable laptop OS, Windows will lose the laptop market almost overnight(which is probably most of their users).
And that's it. They're gonna lose anyway, but saying they're not innovating is just false, especially looking at their competitors who are very stagnant. But they're unfocused as fuck and when they should be shipping good quality software, they're giving users buggy beta-like crap. They should innovate LESS and FIX THEIR CRAP TIMELY. At now they're just shipping half-baked crap, which would never be fixed, because they will ship another half-baked crap to keep cycle of "innovation" going, probably to please their stakeholders with their "modern, brave decisions".

>The only solid thing that Windows has for itself is the fact it's the only really viable gaming OS for most people, Macs suck ass and Linux is for autists.
Yep

WSL for one

Mac OS is at its lowest level of adoption ever.

Why should they care? People will use Windows no matter what they do. They even saved money by dropping QA and making users beta test for them, no consequences but empty noise.
The only issue they have right now is having to compete with Win7 because people cling to it. But they learned from that and won't let you decline or postpone updates any more.

You are wrong about search. Bing absolutely destroys the Google ad search. Searching for anything in Google these days is like looking through the old classifies ads for a new article. It fucking sucks balls.

Multiple desktops, better notifications center, much better window snapping system (not having this when I have to use W7 kills me), native ISO mounting, better start menu (at least for me, also I've never seen an ad in it). I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I use regularly.

you must be LARPing bro

>WSL
lol. VMWare Workstation is beter than that crap.

>Multiple desktops
Useless.

>better notifications center
The notification centre makes no sense on a desktop at all.

>much better window snapping system
Such as? The quarter screen is pointless, it's to small. All you need is half screen snapping which 7 has.

>native ISO mounting
Eh, you can easily accomplish this with portable programs or even by extracting the iso.

>better start menu
Lol, no. It's the worst menu ever the one in W10. Completely broken.

Honestly because their desktop choices are a underpowered mac mini or a gay cylinder. Apple needs to wake the fuck up and make something like dell's precision small form factor workstation

Or just have dell make computers for you and change the box design

>>Multiple desktops
>Useless.
4u

>>native ISO mounting
>Eh, you can easily accomplish this with portable programs or even by extracting the iso.
Why bother?

>>better start menu
>Lol, no. It's the worst menu ever the one in W10. Completely broken.
Still better than W8 tho.

>Still better than W8 tho.
Design wise, yes. Functionality? No. The one on 8, for what it is, it works. The one in 10 is broken.

I agree the quarter screen snapping is pretty useless (unless you use a big 4k screen which I do), but it's this shit that makes it so much better. When you snap something to one side (or a corner) it shows all your other windows in preview and if you click one it will snap it to the remaining space. It's so useful that not having it genuinely makes me angry. Once you get used to it it's hard to live without.

Attached: Snap-Assist-Windows-10-e1433937047296.png (700x394, 311K)

I ordered hw to build a new pc a week ago, but I found out new motherboards doesn't support W7 and it is pissing me off, because I will propably have to use W10, if things wont work on W7

How is the one on 10 broken? I've never encountered any issues with and like the customization options quite a bit.

>it shows all your other windows in preview and if you click one it will snap it to the remaining space
I have 10, and I disabled this. I don't need to snap something on the other side. I rarely do it. I find it very annoying.

Mind you this was on a clean installation.

Attached: GIF.gif (330x670, 1.02M)

Why snap something to one side if you're not going to snap something to the other side? Why not just keep it full screen?

*laughs*

Attached: YBlMaa1H.webm (158x320, 207K)

I have a 28in monitor. Fullscreening my browser makes no sense.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (2560x1440, 723K)

I don't know what to tell you but it works perfectly on my machine. Maybe they've fixed it since you used it.

Attached: 6a0120a85dcdae970b0128776ff992970c-pi.png (200x193, 30K)

see

Is Windows 8 a viable option privacy wise? Or I should stick with Windows 7?

>Is Windows 8 a viable option privacy wise?
No. Stick with 7. 8 has OneDrive integration, Store integration, and it's the first Windows with shitty privacy terms.

>using computer is not viable option privacy wise

I thought you said you have windows 10.

I use both, but I mainly use Windows 7.

I like snapping ONE window and leaving the desktop on sight on the other side when I need to pick something from there to upload to the browser, which happens a lot in my case. This. STUPID. HITTING ME IN THE FACE WITH WINDOWS. SO I CHOOSE ONE. TO FUCKEN COVER THE DESKTOP. PISSES ME OFF. TO NO. FUCKING. END.

Let's not forget that Microsoft will switch to DAAS as their primary business model in the future. They're headed towards a brick wall and everyone who's not a completely ignorant fanboy knows that. The only thing they can cling to right now is the ongoing support of Windows 7 until 2020 and the fact that most professional software is exclusively written for Windows (MacOS if you're lucky). Once either of those changes, MS would easily lose a big part of their market share on desktop computers. My prediction is that unless Microsoft comes up with something of value, they're shit outta luck. They'll probably continue Windows 7 support for longer but that'd only be a short term solution.

Also, Win95, XP > Win7 >> Win98 ~ Win10 > Win8 >>> ME

>having things on your desktop

>RU
C-cyka

7 is ancient garbage compared to 10

>They'll probably continue Windows 7 support for longer but that'd only be a short term solution.
They have to support until 2026 due to Embedded versions which are basically modular Ultimate editions.

>vista>>>all of above

DaaS has already been their primary business model for over a decade you brainlet retard, and no it's never coming to consumers.

Attached: 1507928345190.png (661x109, 22K)

Idk, I run it from a NVMe drive just fine, with a modern 10 core / 20 thread CPU and 128 GiB of RAM. It doesn't sound ancient to me at all.

>not having things on your desktop

The embedded versions are an interesting point. How big is the share within Windows 7 as a whole? I could imagine that it would not make a big difference since most PCs I've seen run Home Premium

I chose not to mention the garbage fire that was Vista.

>Implying "offers subscription" = "primary business model"
At least read the articles you cite.

Attached: n3Qihh6.jpg (750x750, 31K)

>How big is the share within Windows 7 as a whole? I could imagine that it would not make a big difference since most PCs I've seen run Home Premium
Probably small, but they are used nonetheless. And they must support it, since this edition is usually used by governments, police, healthcare system, etc.

My motherboard is not compatible with w7.

That's what you get for buying cheap shit I guess.

>New shit is cheap shit

There are different tiers of productrs. Generally the more premijm boards will have drivers for Windows 7, and will even come with USB2 ports, so even a tool would be able to install 7 on it.

The only """people""" I've seen honestly defending W10 were amerisharts who like to mindlessly gulp on anything shoved down their throat from their corporate overlords without daring to gauge the quality of the product. Any sane person prefers W7 as it is so much better in every aspect.

You can remove Onedrive easily

You can merely disable it, but not remove it on 8. You can remove it in 10 though its installer will remain and I don't know what happens when build upgrades occur. Never had the patience to use it this much.

The lack of privacy for windows 10 is just shit, and now the bomb has been set.

>Shit, switching to Linux now.

Attached: thRO64MCLJ.jpg (258x216, 8K)

Windows 10 is fine, stop being an autistic fuck.

How long do you think w7 has left?
Thinking of getting a new PC and they all come with w10.

>mfw windows update is so trash its easier to update windows from linux

Attached: wangblows.jpg (1089x639, 155K)

You literally can install W7 on any PC you brainlet.

>switching to Linux(which is narrowing the gap in software functionality with Wine getting so much better)
Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

Not on 7 where we have our lord and saviour, Simplix

Attached: Untitled.png (503x313, 41K)

A command prompt that doesn’t suck. Support for usb 3.

Windows 10 users confirmed for mouthbreathing retards living a life of lies.

No one is backporting drivers.

500 days. You either use Windows 10 or switch to Linux (which sucks way hard than 10 imo), you cannot install previous versions of Win on new devices.

I'm the exact opposite. I have a Win10 machine I use for work and my Win 7 machine right next to it. When I turn and get on the Win7 machine despite it being an older processor with half the RAM, I enjoy being on it far more. It looks better, it's far more functional, and, in many cases, it runs faster.

Such as?

are 7fags the vegans of computer users? annoying as fuck.

Enjoy getting owned by unpatched zero days.

No, you can't

ten-tards

You quite literally c a n.

Every major hardware vendor

Windows 7 has USB 3 support native as well. Directly from Microsoft. And NVMe support as well.
What is wrong with CMD on 7?

Attached: Administrator CWindowssystem32cmd.exe.png (1068x673, 46K)

[Autism]

Can you specify the hardware in question that has drivers unavailable on w7?

>it's far more functional
How so? What functionality does windows 7 has that windows 10 doesn't?

The fact that it doesn't have much of Windows 10's crap makes 7 superior.

Does 7 let you switch between Windows with a mouseover from the taskbar like 10 does?
I've actually never used 7 so I don't know. (I went from XP to 8.1)

Functionality to turn off updates, firewall and windows defender without installing 3rd party software.

Yes. That fucntionality has been introduced with 7.

W10 brainlet in the wild, ladies and gentlemen.

>the lag when you hover over the icons
How is this not infuriating?

>what Steve Ballmer did

DEVELOPERS
DEVELOPERS
DEVELOPERS
DEVELOPERS

>needing a babysitter
brainlet.png

Imagine being this delusional.

>They're so desperate for money so much they're integrating shit like ads and spyware into Windows out of the box
NSA backdoors have existed for Windows since '95, they were merely being discreet about it. It was known about for decades. However, the universal backdoor is no real secret now on contemporary Windows.

>no USB 2.0 ports
>no MBR
Drink bleach and kys, fucking M$ shill

Microsoft made USB3 drivers for 7.
7 can be istalled on GPT just fine.

I'm currently using Macbook Pro. I bought a Plugable USB-C dock station for it that is already bricked because of Apple's recent OSX update. After 6 months of use I'm selling it for Windows based PC and I can't wait for the new parts to arrive.
Fuck Apple.

I've had windows 7 since release but was forced to update to 10
Everything worked fine until the last major update, now my key is gone and I have a stupid watermark which I can't get rid off

Windows supports can't find any solution for me and suggest I just but a new key

Attached: 1429337849564.png (1201x884, 1.34M)