Miss Unity so much guys

What are other great DEs?

Attached: Ubuntu-Unity-Desktop.png (721x347, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1029568/linux/the-situation-on-kde-kwin-plasma-performance/
store.kde.org/p/1176904/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gnome 3 is great.

After unity I went to KDE. It's not the same but it goes ok.
Gnome is simply atrocious because the compositor can't be disabled and makes games run like shit unless they're fullscreen. Windowed fullscreen won't do the trick.

Gnome 3

KDE Plasma 5

Xfce

ot depends on what you need

Unity is shite tho

I don't understand why Jow Forums hates xfce. It has everything you need and nothing more.

What to believe?

Don't listen to Red Hat shills. Kde for life.

Attached: Konqui.png (1200x1269, 295K)

Guess you really need screen tearing lol

Attached: cap.png (1680x1050, 314K)

>compositor can't be disabled and makes games run like shit
Curious, what is this meme? It's common to run games in borderless fullscreen on Windows and I'm pretty sure that makes everything run through the compositor. You might lose a few fps but it's not noticeable most of the time.
Is the Gnome compositor really slow or something?

Huehuehuehuehue
Uma delicia

>t. Gnome shill who can't differentiate Spanish form Portuguese
pathetic.

Last time I tried was kinda buggy tho

Gnome 3 == bullshit
Kde and xfce are good enough

Best distro desu

Attached: Captura de pantalla de 2018-09-02 13-35-05.png (1366x768, 385K)

Why not install Unity then?

Looks from 10 years ago desu

Looks from 10 years from now desu

when will gnome add a fucking taskbar??

Attached: nognome.png (1366x768, 751K)

As a linux noob, I didn't dare ask the question, but yeah, it still seems to be under development. Assuming its new home is probably ran by a bunch of crazies or something.

I'm using OpenBox and tint2 for panels. It's minimal on resources and does everything I need it to do. Honestly think that DEs are restrictive.

did you just-
fucking based.

Cinnamon

Yes, it is very slow. It also seems to be capped at 60Hz.

The only people who play borderless windowed are nu-males who have only used windows and think they're Jow Forumspcmasterrace despite playing with more input lag than the average console user.

KDE / Xfce > Budgie > Mate / GNOME / Cinnamon

Openbox
Qtile

There is an extension for this.

>inb4 muh thirdparty software
Gnome Shell was specifically designed to run extensions

>can't tell the difference between Spanish and Portuguese.

Attached: 1529112174420.jpg (486x409, 45K)

is it just 1 poster shitposting "based" all over?

just try them out and see one which you like the best

gnome 3 the GOATEST

Attached: gnomestone.jpg (500x375, 151K)

I still haven't updated from Unity.
Eat a bag of dicks

Install MATE and MATETweaks and enable the Mutiny panel layout.

Attached: 1509637499619.png (1280x720, 278K)

Gone in the latest version. Although, its not finished yet, so you will need to compile from git yourself.

Hard to see any difference in shit unless there's corn in some of it. Tell the spiks to eat more corn.

Imagine having most of your desktop environment written in fucking javascript.
How could look at your screen without vomiting everyday?

Unironically GNOME
Ignore the sperglords here GNOME is the best Desktop Environment
And the only one consistent with itself

based and redpilled

Attached: oldwomanoksign.jpg (1035x696, 133K)

I've tried all the major DEs and tried living with i3 exclusively for a month and I always come back to Cinnamon desu.

Attached: 1515018343838.jpg (1080x1080, 352K)

Only correct answer

Gnome 3 is sluggish and requires multiple extensions just to get basic functionality out of it. It's a few ms of extra lag over other environments on some actions, but those ms add up over time.

KDE Plasma is more buggy and requires tweaking to get basic stuff like sane shortcuts. I'm also not a big fan of the look and feel of KDE applications. The Gnome ecosystem feels more like home to me.

Cinnamon works okay and is pretty comfy, but is starting to look really aged.

MATE/XFCE/LXDE are something I would put on an old laptop, but not something I would use as a full fledged desktop environment on a modern desktop or laptop. ยจ

Pantheon/Budgie seem pretty nice, but they still don't feel as mature as something like Gnome or KDE.

Nothing feels as comfy and just-works as Unity desu.

This

>MATE/XFCE
>not something I would use as a full fledged desktop
Why not? Xfce has more desktop features than gnome and is easier to use than KDE. It's also the most stable DE out there. It's literally the perfect DE.

>Nothing feels as comfy and just-works as Unity desu.
Unity is/was as bloated and heavy as GNOME. The only good thing about it was the UI layout and those global shortcuts it had. But it's worse than xfce. To make a simple desktop/panel/menu shortcut to a file you have to edit ".desktop" files on Unity/GNOME, while Xfce ships with Menu Libre which makes it significantly easier and less autistic.

Unity performs way better than Gnome and doesn't require multiple extensions for basic features, those are my main issues with Gnome.

XFCE just doesn't feel like a full-fledged modern DE to me. I'm not saying it's bad, just not something I would personally use as my daily driver when I'm not limited by resources.

Honestly, stock Gnome is /comfy/ as fuck. It's the only DE that is simple and responsive to use without being ancient. KDE has way too much widget bloat and XFCE is way too old and lacking in new functionality (3D compositing, sensible window snapping). Also, lots of people will tell you about MATE, another meme DE along the lines of XFCE (with more widget/option bloat). No one supports MATE and it was a dying DE since it was first made.

I honestly can't find anything better than Xfce. KDE has the best software imho, but it's UI is a clusterfuck and the kwallet shit is very annoying and should be removed.

KDE and MATE are my favorites

Attached: cinnamon.png (1280x691, 1.05M)

KDE is unironically the best at the moment.

KDE doesn't work well on novidia GPUs
GNOME is javascript shit
XFCE screen tearing
And no loonix distros support video hardware acceleration in browsers, resulting in much shorter battery life, stuttering and overheating

based

Awesome wm, rxvt unicode as file manager

Openbox WM
No need for bloated DE

Come again?

Attached: HW_assfuck.png (629x284, 35K)

Now post htop while playing 1080p60 on youtube.

>KDE doesn't work well on novidia GPUs
using Plasma on a 1050Ti and it works perfectly, not sure what you're on about my man

You've been meme'd
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1029568/linux/the-situation-on-kde-kwin-plasma-performance/
>Yeah. The experience on KDE/Plasma is somewhat poor when using NVidia. It is very difficult to tell where the issue is. Well, that's an understatement, actually. In reality, we have absolutely no idea.

>XFCE screen tearing

>open up Nvidia X server settings
>X server display configuration
>force full composition pipeline

there fixed. maybe if you spent more than 1 minutes trying to google the problem you wouldn't be so picky

Is my CPU supposed to hit 100% on a core or something? Mobile CPU btw

Attached: try_harder.png (1518x910, 378K)

I personally like Cinnamon.

That greentext is RuneLite btw not brave

Attached: htop_.png (1414x459, 106K)

>starting to look aged
Seems like Cinnamon is the only one that isn't buggy or sluggish according to you, the only complaint is it's look.

That said, you can use themes to pimp it out.

lxde with a dock

Attached: wontfix.png (942x1014, 101K)

can't you just install unity on a newer version of ubunut/debian?

What's wrong with i3 user?

use a WM like i3 w/polybar

And waste days trying each of them?
No thanks :D

gnome3 is very divisive
just try it and kde

just use a window manager at this point

Same, unity not being supported anymore made me discover kde's plasma though so it's not all that bad...

> All made in js

Its main requirement is that you must be autistic to use it

Pop OS master race

I'm using Budgie on Solus right now. It works well enough and stays out of my way. They're fixing all of my complaints in the upcoming 10.5 release too, so I think I'll be using it for a while. Also Solus itself is pretty amazing. Despite being a rolling release distro its more stable than Ubuntu LTS was on any device I used it on over the last 10 years.

Based and redpilled

Glad to see people are finally praising Unity. It really was something. Its too bad they put all of their manpower into the also abandoned Unity 8. If they had just focused on improving the stability and performance of Unity 7 instead it would have easily been the objective winner of the DE wars. I don't know if that would've been enough to win over Canonical haters, but what can you do? If there's one good thing to come out of Unity dying its that the hate towards Canonical has been somewhat shifted to Red Hat and Gnome, both of which are far worse than Canonical ever was.

wild amerinigger spotted

Attached: 1509742358016.png (1152x648, 206K)

>limpiar sangrado

Attached: 1532287956677.jpg (583x572, 38K)

i3

Cinnamon and Mate are kinda great.

Attached: Naivestallman.jpg (1543x1200, 621K)

The quickest way to make KDE plasma's de look like unity is to install this theme called modern.

store.kde.org/p/1176904/

One of the things I liked about Unity the most is that it was the only DE with fractional HiDPI scaling that worked properly. On KDE, when you use fractional hidpi many of the text and icons on so many programs and even the system settings is blurry.

Attached: db588f0ede94a5d92e5fb86b4e4fd47a5f96.png (1920x1080, 832K)

>On KDE, when you use fractional hidpi many of the text and icons on so many programs and even the system settings is blurry.
Personally I also get weird graphical glitches in Konsole.

Attached: 1510937088777.jpg (1920x1080, 260K)

> muh extensions
> written in slow, dynamically typed JavaScript and break on every minor update in nearly impossible to discover ways

>T. footfag

I'll just keep using Unity until there's another good DE available. Probably when the budgie guys finish rewriting Budgie on Qt.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-03 10-57-43.png (1920x1080, 1.03M)

>KDE have thumbnails in the file picker
>KDE doesn't work well with novidia

Attached: 1512358375191.png (485x443, 25K)

That might not happen. They only experimented with it, and honestly, Budgie is good as is. 10.5 will make it perfect for me. Its to bad Ikey is alone, depressed, and low on cash in London. Things are happening more slowly than I'd like. Not that it matters too much though. Solus is still the fastest and most stable desktop experience I've ever used.

dont use amateur software in your daily driver

Attached: kdead.jpg (600x422, 53K)

I don't get this meme, is it the screen tearing they get when they first install it? What makes this meme?

Gnome 3 with the following extensions:
Dash to Dock
Hide top bar
Places status indicator
Topicons plus
Absolute bliss to use, given you're not on a potato PC.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-03 16-26-26.png (1920x1080, 2.6M)

Gnome 2

The fact that basic features are now extensions is proof how shit stock gnome 3 is.

Yes goyim, just take the spoonfed advice of the shills on this board for every thought you should and shouldn't have.

Attached: 1534968981430.png (909x1600, 990K)