/hsg/ - Home server general

/hsg/ - Home server general

>Hosting your own DOOM server edition!

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
Seems like Green WD are not sold nowadays. So WD Reds are okay for the price if you want "NAS Drvies". Otherwise HGST and Toshiba are your friends.

---> FAQ & Tips Chat

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (3264x2448, 1.43M)

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/users/2018-September/357883.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have 3x 5 TB drives. I plan to buy 6x 10 TB disks for a RAIDZ2 vdev and use 2x 5 TB as a mirrored backup vdev.

Am I crazy or does this make sense? Kinda feels weird spending £600 on dual parity but RAIDZ1 is too risky for that much data and I need 20+ TB of usable space.

You're fine.

Take frequent backups and Test them.

>>Hosting your own DOOM server edition!
kill yourself you fucking faggot

wtf do you autists do with this just get a vps

Store my UHD and HD film and TV series rips mostly.

this can be done with a vps

Not cost effectively.

Not anywhere near as cheap. Try storing 50+ TB in the cloud for less than a $2000 one-time payment for drives. Also the whole total control, self managed aspect is gone with a VPS. A VPS isn’t near as satisfying as a server rack in the corner of your room.

You out of your fucking mind? How little media do you have that a VPS is an affordable solution?

Go even try to find a VPS provider offering 32TB of redundant storage, then give me a price

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 3.14.35 PM.png (532x620, 93K)

whats the best and cheapest option if i want something to run cronjobs and host a small website off of? thinking of buying a 10$ orangepi

Here i found one offering decimated servers similar to what i have at home, they have better CPUs but less than half the RAM, and SAS HDDs rather than enterprise class SATA, with less capacity. I would have to pay $6k in up front fees and $700 per month thereafter to rent someone elses servers. What a great fucking deal you retard.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 3.19.41 PM.png (1092x1836, 318K)

Hey guys, so my parents are looking to get two new (very expensive) laptops. My dad's something of a music collector, and he's got a buttload of albums loaded onto his current laptop (it's quickly becoming obsolete and shitty). My mother has an old macbook pro from like... 2008 or 2009. It's a relic, and it's just dragging when she goes online with it. She has a lot of pictures insecurely saved on that machine. If that drive goes she's gonna go nuts.

I'm trying to head this off and I'm trying to bring them both into the modern world in a cost effective way. Basically, I'm hoping to get them each a little chromebook or something similar for normie tasks like email, facebook, internet browsing, that sort of thing. And for data storage, I'd like to build a private server (I'd be managing it for them) to keep their stuff safe and accessible. I'd also like to run a Doom2 server on it for kicks with a few friends. My parents are both on board to make this happen, which is great and I'm excited for it. But my knowledge is actually pretty lacking. So I need something of a primer. Is what I'm looking to do a decent enough idea? Is it viable? Looking to keep the build around the $600 mark, but that's not a hard and fast number.

>i'm too retarded to even price out pc components or search for a used e5-2600 box on ebay
>plz mom and dad entrust me with your data
>just use some shitty chrome books rather than new macbook pros

I'm exploring it as an option. I appreciate you being a shithead about it though, thanks senpai. I'd like to store their precious files somewhere that's secure, redundant, and not costing a lot of money every month. I'm not a huge fan of 'the cloud' and I don't trust it, overall. I've built two computers for myself, so I'm familiar with the process, but I'm mainly asking if there's something meaningfully different about home server construction aside from the obvious lack of need for a graphics card. Why bother having a general if you treat newbies looking to learn like intruders?

>i'm going to design a secure and redundant system
>when I cant even pick out parts to build a computer

>I've built two computers for myself, so I'm familiar with the process
Congratulations, you have obtained the same skill level as a 13 year old Chinese peasant working in a Foxconn factory who may or may not succeed at committing suicide this year by jumping off the roof while having to avoid the suicide nets.

>Why bother having a general if you treat newbies looking to learn like intruders?
Thats my job here. To tell people that their shitboxes arent servers and to stop larping that they are.

Just buy a NAS from Synology or something. Because you will inevitably fuck up a BYO solution.

jesus dude if youre going to be a raging asshole at least be productive about it. Hsg is my least lurked general and youre why

lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/users/2018-September/357883.html

RYZEN works great for homeservers.

poor people leave please

>jesus dude if youre going to be a raging asshole at least be productive about it.
I am if people have real questions. Not retarded shit by people who refuse to do the most basic of googling.

>Hsg is my least lurked general and youre why
Good