Do you call it shell, terminal or console?

Do you call it shell, terminal or console?

Attached: a.jpg (1280x720, 183K)

Other urls found in this thread:

console.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Those are all different things. Do you call it an apple, banana, or cherry?

terminal

i call it loli

command prompt

Usually console. As that's what it's called in the software I use.

Attached: Fukubi.gif (500x281, 1.11M)

Never console, I use both the other terms sometimes. I also sometimes say cli or command line.

cmd

the mainframe

hacker screen thing

>Do you call it shell, terminal or console?
yes.

I use a terminal emulator to interact with my shell.

hard line

/thread

yes

no

Brainlets LITERALLY on suicide watch when they learn there is a difference.

I call it bash

command line

i do all my consoling in my terminal's shell

I use the following program, so guess what I call it?

console.sourceforge.net/

>posts a terminal emulator

I call the shell program I'm running the shell (bash, csh, mksh, etc) and I call the terminal emulator program the terminal. I call a terminal emulator that opens with a dmesg or other system monitoring command a console. I'll also call an EFI shell or bootloader shell a console.

amidoinitrite?

Attached: 1535667598122.jpg (534x788, 64K)

apple!

Depends on if I'm talking about the shell, terminal or console

A terminal is used to access the console, and the shell is an application running in the console. This is not rocket science.

They refer to different things

Shell = The program that asks you for input and does something.
Console: Something that takes user input (mouse and keyboard) and forwards it to the program running in a connected terminal, and outputting the data that comes back from that program
Terminal = Tty = A combination of master and slave device.
The running program can use the slave device like a file. The master device can then read what the user wrote into the slave and write into the master to have data appear in the stdin of the running program (Like when you type on the keyboard.)
Normally, ttys are directly connected to a linux console (The CTRL+Alt+F1-F9 things). This is why when you write something to stdout from a program (and you didn't redirect stdin to a pipe or a file), it appears on the console, and if you write something (and you didn't redirect stdout to a pipe or a file), it appears on the console.
The fact that things the user types also appear is because the tty device has a driver and it can be set to echo user input - that can also be disabled and sometimes is, for example, when inputting passwords.

There are also pseudo terminals (ptys).
Their master devices are not attached to a Linux console, they are controlled directly by programs. Those programs can then read what the program writes to the slave, and also provide any input it wants for the program to read.
For example, an SSH Server gets the user input form the network and outputs it to the same SSH client (like putty, or ssh) over the network.
GUI Terminals use pseudo terminals to obviously take input from their terminal window and write the output on there.
There's also "expect", which also uses pseudo terminals to autimatically execute interactive scripts (that ask the user for input).

>and if you write something (and you didn't redirect stdout to a pipe or a file), it appears on the console.
By that I mean "If you type something in your keyboard, it gets sent to the process".

I call it loli face fucking.

I'm a computer brainlet but I want to try and clarify this
>shell
The program that you use for sending commands to an OS. Personally I'm using bash
>terminal
The window in which you enter said commands. Historically I think terminals were actual devices that you would use to send commands to a computer. Now all terminals are just software?
>console
Kinda lost on this one. Only example I can think of is using console commands to cheat in pc games. So my understanding of a console is that it's a tool within software that handles command entry to that same software?

Is this at all accurate?

If you don't know what you're talking about, why are you trying to "clarify" anything?
You are just adding to confusion.