/fglt/ - Friendly GNU+Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
(Dead) && (Dead)

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: distros vs windows.png (1252x701, 402K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxuprising.com/2018/08/how-to-enable-hardware-accelerated.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=btrfs-f2fs-multi&num=3
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-416-fs&num=2
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-416-fs&num=3
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-44-47-fs&num=2
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-44-47-fs&num=3
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-44-47-fs&num=4
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-44-47-fs&num=5
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=btrfs-f2fs-multi&num=2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What we know so far is that there is a single guy shitposting about:
1. RMS, FSF and their respective contributions ans importance;
2. Nvidia;
3. He is also that guy that asks if people have licenses to post stallmans and claims it to be "piracy".

NOW THE MOST HILARIOUS PART:
4. We know for a fact that he is not being paid. He is doing it for free.

Attached: fuck you nvidia.jpg (600x339, 33K)

>NOW THE MOST HILARIOUS PART
the most hilarious part is that people are actually feeding the troll

I have a directory full of subdirectories.
How can I print the name of every subdirectory to a file?
Is it possible to do this inside of a .zip/7z/gz file?

It's free software only, doesn't use systemd and is as autistic as Arch.
There is also Hyperbola which is basically the same but is an Arch fork. So all the Arch packages and docs.

You can easily find out by reading the manuals. That's why no one replied.

>It's free software only,
not true. Void has a nonfree repository

retard here

emacs\ info.txt info.txt info.txt~

This means I have three info files?

I meant the default install includes free software only.

I think I did fucking wrong forgetting 4kb format
$ sudo nvme list
Node SN Model Namespace Usage Format FW Rev
---------------- -------------------- ---------------------------------------- --------- -------------------------- ---------------- --------
/dev/nvme0n1 BTNH82810587512A INTEL SSDPEKNW512G8 1 512,11 GB / 512,11 GB 512 B + 0 B 001C
/dev/nvme1n1 BTNH8281056E512A INTEL SSDPEKNW512G8 1 512,11 GB / 512,11 GB 512 B + 0 B 001C

"emacs info.txt"
"info.txt"
"info.txt~"

Those are all separate files. The "info.txt~" is basically an Emacs backup that you can delete if need be, just like foo becomes .foo.swp in Vim.

Is it possible to make a swap FILE during a manual arch installation? If so, at what point?

As soon as you mount it and put the file structure on it

>at what point
you can make the file after you are done partitioning the drive and have the partition mounted. Just remember to put it into your fstab once you get to editing that

i have i3 without a wallpaper.
do i understand it correctly that if i want a xfce-like right-click menu with some shortcuts, that means finding a program that produces said menu, and putting it as x root window?

>guix, gentoo, debian, parabola
finally arch transcended meme status

>As soon as you mount it and put the file structure on it
Thanks

>Just remember to put it into your fstab
Thanks.

So probably best to do it after genfstab so I don't forget.

Does XFCE have a search option somewhere that lets me look for everything on my computer like what Gnome has with folders like pic related or something like that?

Attached: 776574585.png (865x597, 25K)

it's not part of xfce but xubuntu uses catfish for that

Thanks

Please help my emacs color theme or whatever is called just changed out of fucking nowhere. Before it was the default dark theme that it always had when I installed it. But now is all white.

I am still learning emacs and that last thing I wanted to do was to waste time ricing my editor. I was more than happy with the default dark theme (that matched my KDE Breeze dark theme). But now that the colors suddenly changed to white I want to revert things back to how they were.

Attached: 1522908474291.gif (312x253, 21K)

start emacs -> Options -> Customize Emacs -> Custom Themes

ALT+x customize-themes RET
You could have found this yourself. You probably deleted your ~/emacs file or ~/.emacs.d dir. Dumb frog poster.

Attached: lolgpl.png (715x499, 46K)

thanks

Attached: 1535849445931.png (1000x900, 44K)

The obvious solution to this is to treat China as an enemy nation and cut all the fiber cables connecting them to the Internet. If they can't play by the rules they can fuck off.

Attached: haruhi bunnygirl consider.png (1400x900, 548K)

Me on the left

"find" may help you
Unfriendly cunt
Retard

Attached: oss-blk-duck-licensing-0110-0117-wm-2-520x344.png (520x344, 67K)

Thanks. I was looking around, figured it had to be a combination of ls piping to a cat or something. I will search around the online man pages, as I am not on a linux machine at the moment.

Attached: webm for ants.webm (100x42, 69K)

How do I tell if X.org uses CPU rendering or Intel HD?

Why would you ever use CPU rendering? Intel drivers are included by default unless you did something very stupid.

tell that to blender

If you meant in Blender you should have said in Blender. Absent mentioning an application people will think you're talking about the OS's display server, like Xorg or Wayland.

i wasn't op lol xD just sayin'

I've an SSD, how safe and stable is an installation on XFS or F2FS? Gotta go fast

reminder that no loonix distro has video acceleration in browsers, resulting in stuttering, overheating and battery wastage.

and yet my chromium does

Attached: wrong.png (933x228, 36K)

Xfs and ext4 are fine. We had this discussion some threads ago. The conclusion was that there is no evidence for the superiority of F2FS over recent versions of Xfs and ext4.

You didnt read all of the thread then.
F2FS outperforms ext4 and btrfs

just found this

linuxuprising.com/2018/08/how-to-enable-hardware-accelerated.html

I did. There was no evidence in favor or F2FS. If there was please post it here.

>I'll admit I don't have a huge amount of benchmarks or whatever.

>If there was please post it here.
Go to the archive,it was posted

Going to install gentoo on my ryzen/vega64 desktop.
I already know about the firmware and such that needs to be included in the kernel.

I'm wondering what useflags I should use?

"-systemd -bluetooth -gnome -kde -bindist \
libressl wayland"

Also what good cflags are there to use? Is -O3 still not recommended even though a lot of high end desktops can benefit from the optimizations from -O3

Attached: DmFTYqRVsAA8MX1.jpg (857x701, 57K)

Not on SATA or NVMe SSDs. The real point of F2FS is for raw flash devices like eMMC, SD cards, or soldered NAND. On fancier disks, ext4 and XFS are fine.

The thing is mpv tells me this:
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
[vo/opengl] Suspecte software renderer or indirect context.
[vo/opengl] Suspecte software renderer or indirect context.
[vo/xv] No Xvideo support found.
[vo/x11] Warning: this legacy VO has bad performance. Consider fixing your graphics drivers, or not forcing the x11 VO.
but glxgears works well at 500 fps in fullscreen, so I want to make sure IntelHD works.

I did. It wasn't.

I just realized that I know who you are. You are the autistic user that posted a phoronix benchmark without reading it firs and kept saying "there is evidence, there is evidence" without actually showing it. Much like what you are doing here.

More specifically, this article:

Now, if you had used this ~2 days to actually read the tiny amount of text in those three pages, you would have noticed a few things:
1. We were not talking about btrfs in the other thread;
2. Those benchmarks are for disks in raid;
3. Btrfs actually outperforms F2FS in two out of three tests.

I'm going to be nice and not report you for posting extremely low quality content.

>indirect context
Are you fucking running this in a VM? What exact GPU do you have?

WRONG
The only SLIGHT gain it has is on btrfs RAID setups, but we all know you cannot trust btrfs with raid devices so we can count all those benchmarks as moot and discard them
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-416-fs&num=2
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-416-fs&num=3
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-44-47-fs&num=2
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-44-47-fs&num=3
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-44-47-fs&num=4
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-44-47-fs&num=5
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=btrfs-f2fs-multi&num=2

Please read the links you're discussing more closely. F2FS was designed to ease write strain on RAW FLASH DEVICES. Benchmarking it on spinning SATA HDDs like Phoronix did there is worse than useless. Spinning rust should use ext4, XFS, ZFS, or (when it's ready) bcachefs.

Ive tried 3 different mirrors help

Attached: 20180902_161531.jpg (2160x2160, 951K)

It's an i7 3520M. lspci -v gives this.
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Lenovo 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 24
Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
I/O ports at 6000 [size=64]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
Kernel driver in use: i915

And I set this for modesetting.
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "modesetting"
Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection

xf86-video-intel is installed.

Why are you manually using Xorg.conf at all? It should autodetect at runtime. This really looks like a self inflicted problem.

Fine, let's remove the config and let this beautifully-written piece of software that is X.org work out of the box.
libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to open i965 (search paths /usr/lib64/dri)
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to open i965 (search paths /usr/lib64/dri)
[vo/opengl] Suspected software renderer or indirect context.
[vo/opengl] Suspected software renderer or indirect context.
[vo/xv] Warning: this legacy VO has bad quality and performance, and will in particular result in blurry OSD and subtitles. You should fix your graphics drivers, or not force the xv VO.

You don't have your Mesa (OpenGL) driver installed. That's separate from xf86-video-intel which only does basic modesetting, etc.

>additional details may be available in /var/log/syslog or on virtual console 4
post additional details

>You don't have your Mesa (OpenGL) driver installed.
Of course I have. glxgears works fine with modesetting, but without it does like mpv and tries to load the wrong driver and spews errors.

That doesn't mean shit on a modern CPU, fampai. Your driver is in fact missing. Humor me and run
find /usr -name i965_dri.so and see if it returns anything.

*i965_dri.so

No space.

>a modern CPU
Yeah, like a 3rd gen i7 that's supposed to run on i915?

Should I make the switch from Windows to Linux Mint Cinnamon? I'm scared it might not have all the apps I need. I'm an engineering major in college and I'm worried I'll be tempted to come back to Windows? Does linux even have an advantage for me, or should I not fall for the meme?

Right. Your driver is missing. Go install it.

OK my bad. I mistook graphics chipset generation for CPU generation. It was supposed to be i965.

Don't do it. Unless you have plenty of free time don't throw it away when you've got important shit to do.

>engineering major
You'll probably need a bunch of Windows applications based on my experience with engineering students. Stick with it on your school machine unless a professor in your department suggests switching. What you can do is get a cheap little Linux machine like a Raspberry Pi and use that to learn Linux stuff.

How do I get thumbnails in the filepicker without using openpepe?

Use KDE and a Qt browser or Chromium.

Install gtk2 and gtk3 filechooser iconview patch.Its available in the arch aur

>or chromium
Chromium uses gtk, which does not have filechooser icon view by default

Chromium still uses kdialog if you have it installed.

hows clover os? is it safe and noob friendly? can i really trust it?

It's made by a single mentally ill person. It includes ecchi anime wallpapers but not PulseAudio, so no sound on Firefox.

I have two drives. if I install linux on the windows drive will I be able to still use the other drive that just has my pictures/music etc without formatting it? when I downgraded from 10 to 8.1 I for example had to take ownership of the other drive but thats about it

Yeah, Linux can read and write NTFS just fine.
It will just be a bit slower than using native ext4. You shouldn't have to do anything but mount the disk.

>so no sound on Firefox.
You can use alsa or apulse

Firefox purged their ALSA backend a while ago.

I literally compile out pulse support and use alsa on my firefox 68

So, Linux Mint Cinnamon, LMDE 3, Ubuntu on point releases with Cinnamon installed, or Debian testing with Cinnamon. I decided I like the Cinnamon experience a lot, but Mint seems to release kind of infrequently (based on Ubuntu LTS) and I tend to like having stuff up to date.

Attached: 1496334875248.jpg (509x385, 29K)

Why the fuck does KDE develop and maintain two different personal finance applications?
Is their a meaningful deference between them? Only KMyMoney is directly packaged by Suse.

Arch+Cinnamon

>Nvidia
I get the feeling in the future we're going to see a lot more AMD fanboys for Linux than Nvidia.

Due to Vulkan being faster and more efficient than D3d, being faster on Linux than Windows, and being faster on AMD than Nvidia we're definitely going to see more AMD people.

Attached: vulkan.png (769x670, 97K)

Plus with recent kernels/mesa AMD is literally plug and play on any distro that allows redistributing GPU firmware. Nvidia can't touch that.
>better FPS
>better compute
>better system integration
>no gimped colorspaces
I'm currently on an old GTX 750Ti but my next upgrade will be 7nm AMD.

Tomorrow I'm going to test out KVM/libvirt performance on my 64 bit ARM system. I can't wait to be able to try something like multi node Kubernetes without Intel stink all over my systems.

How feasible is Linux gaming nowadays? If I wanted to go that route, what's the best hardware to go?

nobody cares
there's a hardware called "grow up"

AMD drivers are good now

I want my DE dammit.

Attached: 20180902_212334.jpg (2160x2160, 1.39M)

Does anyone know what file echos "OpenRC $VERSION is starting up $DISTRO $ARCH" with openrc?

*snap*

Attached: dlem8v_J_400x400.jpg (400x400, 22K)

Hello friends, a few questions about licencing. As I understand, the author/ copyright holder of a program can distribute it however they like. Is the author obligated to provide the source code if they distribute their program licensed under the GPL? And if they don't, wouldn't that disallow anyone from distributing it?

Some vids lags with VLC in 18.04 kubuntu and the picture completely freezes for a second everyfew minutes even in mpv too. I have tried to play around the compositor or the backend, but no luck. Any tips?
The kwin also prone to crash, but that's probably cannot be fixed that easily.

Attached: naturalblack.png (504x942, 770K)

I have an old 10yo pc and wanted to dual boot linux . I'm thinking about lubuntu or xubuntu more leaning towards xubuntu. Should I install the x32 or x64 version? Wouldn't x64 eat more ram?

Attached: Screenshot_3.png (554x322, 18K)

This question doesn't type-check. The GPL is a mechanism to allow an author to distribute their source on the condition that anyone who distributes software based on that code must provide the modified source to their users.

lxde uses less ram than xfce

I tried it but either spotify or volume control panel kept crashing. Xubuntu worked without issues.

>spotify
just stick to windows, m8

>muh secret programmers club
I'm not your mate, pal.

>paying money to stream DRM content to your computer

Attached: 1510304177429.jpg (480x451, 54K)

>paying money
You do know that it's free right?

Is there a name for the "programming language" that is shell script, whether the shell be csh, ksh, bash, zsh, etc etc??

Is it just called "shell script" or what?

Attached: 9mm vs ballistic gel.gif (288x288, 1.61M)